• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

brian!

GFE is the same and they've since branched into a couple other games including HS, SSB, Rocket League,... No idea how they are making money but they are continuously expanding.

I think they fielded the #1 na overwatch team at some point too

I feel like major sponsors are taking out their Blizzard frustrations with the Overwatch league on Hots. Like alluded to above, there is no reason for Vainglory to have all the major sponsors, while HOTS has basically only Tempo

From a business standpoint itd have to be that vainglory is more profitable to them. Reynad has also said that tempo staying in hots is because tempo was built off of blizzard and they are loyal to the company. But it sounds like blizz is going all out to entice orgs for next season so maybe that will change. I wouldve expected hgc to be enough of a lure but someone said that the orgs dont own the slots, so that's a big turn off for them id imagine

___

Oh to add more fuel to the gossip fire, remember when nvt announced that kenma would coach? Apparently he hasnt coached them once because nvt "couldnt afford to pay [him]", a little hard to interpret because kenma has a really high opinion of himself and could have been asking above his pay grade, but could also be interpreted as "nvt doesnt have money", conjecture is fun. That's a pretty big stretch tho and you cant really fault nvt for not wanting to keep kenma on payroll

Maledict

From my understanding, smaller games like Vainglory and Smite are more profitable than Blizzard games despite the smaller audience because of the profit sharing arrangements the companies have with them - Smite has tons of sponsored gear you can buy for example from each team, and they get a good slice of that.

kirblar

From my understanding, smaller games like Vainglory and Smite are more profitable than Blizzard games despite the smaller audience because of the profit sharing arrangements the companies have with them - Smite has tons of sponsored gear you can buy for example from each team, and they get a good slice of that.
Just coincidentally, this just got implemented for HGC! :p

Pollux

I just started this a few weeks ago and played as Arthas and had fun. Quit for a while and came back and can't play as him. How do I unlock characters so they stay available even when they're not on the rotation?

Also, what does leveling up characters do if I start with basic abilities at the beginning of each match?

First MOBA

Alur

My concern for a big influx of the real players in esports into HOTS next season is that as we sit this season we've got a bunch of lesser orgs who have already gobbled up the good teams that the few big orgs left didn't take.

Is TSM or C9 or whoever gonna accept a mid tier team because R20 and GFE took two of the top three? What about the same in EU with Team Expert ahead of some bigger org? I don't know that they'll want to come if they can't get into the upper echelon, and the upper echelon are the only ones with support right now.

brian!

I mean i wouldnt be surprised if their contracts are per split or if a bigger org just bought them out, but i dont really expect the latter for na

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Upcoming Hero Sales
Artanis — Sale Price: 375 Gems
Thrall — Sale Price: 250 Gems

The following Skins and Mounts will enter the Featured Item Rotation, and will be unlockable using Gems until next week's Collection Update:

Upcoming Featured Skins
Crimson Purifier Artanis
Ashen Hellhammer Thrall
Jailbird Tychus
Azure Ordermaster Valla
Spectre Nova
Fel Demonic Tyrael
Woodland Ranger-General Sylvanas
Raider Maraudin’ Muradin
King Stitches

Upcoming Featured Mounts
Cyber Ram
Amani War Bear
Hunter Felsaber Demon

I just started this a few weeks ago and played as Arthas and had fun. Quit for a while and came back and can't play as him. How do I unlock characters so they stay available even when they're not on the rotation?

Also, what does leveling up characters do if I start with basic abilities at the beginning of each match?

First MOBA

You can unlock characters by either using Gold (in-game currency that you get from finishing quests and after every match) or by Gems (real-money)

Level 5 = you can play the hero in ranked

C-Drive

Most folks probably have them, but if anyone needs them, I have Jaina and Zeratul hero codes. Quote to see them:

Jaina -
Zeratul -

scoobs

Got to play with Gorath and Jon from CORE tonight, super fun games. Got the chance to show off my Kerrigan, which is always nice
YeMEHQU.jpg

Altairre

Oh weekends hots you so crazy. A Naz that goes toad build, solo pushes and dies the entire game, then when asked if he could be so nice as to join the fights he replies "No. I can't help because I suck at teamfights." Even though the opposing team has Butcher and Naz ring is one of the best counters. We still won that game somehow because we had a great Murky stalling the objective and after we got a couple of kills they just continued to trickle in.

My favorite moment of the evening was a Stukov using his silence field to waveclear, apparently not noticing that a hammer was sieged up nearby hitting him in the face. He just didn't move until he died.

kirblar

They really messed up the feel of Garrosh's Q/W/E - the sound effects/graphics just don't feel "meaty" (and the delay on the Q is awkward.)

They really messed up the feel of Garrosh's Q/W/E - the sound effects/graphics just don't feel "meaty" (and the delay on the Q is awkward.)

There are a few moves that need better animations in this game. When Stitches uses Devour, I can't even tell if there is an animation.

Garrosh should do a big windup swing when you Q.

Ronabo

Me playing Dehaka on Curse map gets flamed repeatedly and "reported" for not participating in their 3 LVL down clown fiesta team fights. They would fight over a useless curse or camp lvls down and blame me for not grouping. Am I in the wrong here?

brian!

Nothing you can really do about that but if you know they are going to force the issue regardless of what makes sense you might as well join them since you know they will def feed down a hero

Me playing Dehaka on Curse map gets flamed repeatedly and "reported" for not participating in their 3 LVL down clown fiesta team fights. They would fight over a useless curse or camp lvls down and blame me for not grouping. Am I in the wrong here?
Yes and no. Yes you're wrong in the sense that doing something dumb together has a higher chance of success than not and no because you're right in split soaking to make up XP.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

youre not wrong technically, but its always better to join a shit idea than not to join the shit idea. If it fails, at least you were there to help.

If you werent there and it failed, it can always be tracked to "we were one man down because you didnt join"

edit: like the others said :p

scoobs

That's the shitty part about actually having game knowledge, the people who don't will get upset when you are trying to make the right play. Best to join them in their idiotic adventures, and lose with them then give your team a 0% chance and pissing everyone off along the way.

brian!

There are a lot of situations not to follow bad stuff but in general if a 4v5 is gonna happen you might as well make it 5v5

Altairre

Decided that I want to learn how to play Greymane next. Can already tell that this is going to lead to a bunch of losses at the beginning, I'm hoping it'll be worth it. I know what I need to be doing, but we'll see how that'll go in game.

scoobs

Decided that I want to learn how to play Greymane next. Can already tell that this is going to lead to a bunch of losses at the beginning, I'm hoping it'll be worth it. I know what I need to be doing, but we'll see how that'll go in game.

It takes a bit to understand your limits as Greymane. Best advice i can give is: don't be a pussy and sit in ranged form all game, thats not how you play him and not how you find his limits as a hero. Dive in and be aggressive if anyone seems out of position or low on HP. Eventually you'll figure it out and not feed. Playing super safe gets you nowhere.

Altairre

It takes a bit to understand your limits as Greymane. Best advice i can give is: don't be a pussy and sit in ranged form all game, thats not how you play him and not how you find his limits as a hero. Dive in and be aggressive if anyone seems out of position or low on HP. Eventually you'll figure it out and not feed. Playing super safe gets you nowhere.

Thanks for the tip, it's definitely going to be the most difficult thing to figure out. That's the impression I got from the couple of AI practice games I played to get a feel for him. I think my tendency with him would be to play too safe so I'll try not to do that.

scoobs

Zero mention of HOTS on the blizz earnings call yet again, wonder how long they can keep supporting the game if it's not even worth mentioning

Have Blizzard specifically said we're getting a bunch of big announcements at Gamescom next week? I know that they have some streamers attending, but they were more specific last year in teasing that new content was going to be announced.

Alur

Was listening to ITN yesterday and they said something that piqued my attention...

They said what if balance changes made to specific heroes were shown in client? Their suggestion was it would be a popup screen of the changes a-la Hearthstone, but personally I'd prefer something more targeted. And that it might be useful because right now, your game can auto-patch and you might never know anything was changed because there's no in-game representation of a new patch or anything of the sort beyond when a hero is added.

Say Garrosh gets buffed since his winrate is low. On the lower left hand of the hero selection screen in Quick Match or other modes you have your Loadout, Abilities, and Talents. When changes to a hero are implemented, a fourth hex could be added that simply says "Changes" or what have you...listing ONLY the changes for the hero you have highlighted. It would pop up when you select that hero and have those patch notes right there for you to look over and force you to close that lefthand pop up window to queue.

That avoids the intrusiveness for all players that the ITN crew and Dunktrain were worried about, while still providing the function specifically for those who might need it that are trying to use the newly balanced heroes.

brian!

Would be nice but internally theyd prob consider it a bunch of costs for a non-issue, the furthest i think theyll run w/r/t showing patch notes is either one of those ads in the bnet client or a splash screen maybe, like something that they can just plug in w/o developing anything new

Oops, reread the post and i dont mean that making a splash screen is 0 work, just that splash screen tech is in the game

Alur

The popups in the bottom left are already there, yeah, all they'd have to do is make a new one that activates when heroes change.

It seems like something they'd be interested in, or at least the player base would. Can't count the number of times I've been in a game over the years and had a player say "Oh shit, they changed soandso's talents!" or "What happened to my hero?"

Top Bottom