• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Strampas

Neo Member
Finally able to post here on GAF, so this post is a little bit...dated... Wow @ Op, awesome looking game. I have been following this thread for a while and just have to share my "Wow", like one billion others.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
They're offering the strategy guide a week before the game ships?

Must... resist... looking at....

EDIT: Nevermind, not according to Prima's website. It ships 9/15 too.

I hope the UK gets Rooster Hats, I want to cancel my Gamestop order!

Just what's going to be in this strategy guide, anyway? I can't quite work it out

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
http://www.primagames.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307465511

• Starite Strategies: Our complete Story and Puzzle Mode strategies will direct you through each level and
help you obtain every Starite.
• Solutions: Every level description will feature 3 different solutions to solving each puzzle with the fewest objects in
the shortest time. With over 220 levels, this guide contains over 660+ strategies to help bring your skills to the next
level.
• Word List: Learn some of the best and most obscure words you can use to solve each puzzle!
• Level Creation: Learn the tips and tricks you need to build the most creative and elaborate levels possible.
• Art Poster: Pullout art poster included!

Blizzard

Banned
[*]He considers the controls clunky, sometimes requiring multiple taps
I kind of feared that, it would be nice if they let you use the buttons to do stuff (I know they do rotation already).

[*]He has the ROM.
If this means the full game is going to be pirated by everyone with a DS a month and a half early, I may rage. :( Half out of wanting to support 5th Cell, and half because they'll get to play the game a month and a half early and play it on a big screen and take screenshots and I won't get to do either.

chewydogg

max_front.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Blizzard said:
I kind of feared that, it would be nice if they let you use the buttons to do stuff (I know they do rotation already).

If this means the full game is going to be pirated by everyone with a DS a month and a half early, I may rage. :( Half out of wanting to support 5th Cell, and half because they'll get to play the game a month and a half early and play it on a big screen and take screenshots and I won't get to do either.

Na man the press get DS dev carts early, well big places do like IGN.

We're playing an updated build on Friday, but we'll be playing it at WB :D

Blizzard

Banned
VOOK said:
Na man the press get DS dev carts early, well big places do like IGN.

We're playing an updated build on Friday, but we'll be playing it at WB :D
Well, as long as it's only a press/dev build getting leaked to ROM, that shouldn't hurt advance sales too much.

When you say you're playing an updated build, does that mean they've still been making changes and haven't frozen things even at this late date? :O Try "piton"! Also "cake batter" and "oven"...

Haunted

chewydogg said:
:lol :lol

SmellyWaffles said:
[*]He considers the controls clunky, sometimes requiring multiple taps
Not surprising, all videos indicated this, tbh. Interaction between objects and the character were a bit shoddy, too. Still, amazing stuff considering the strict limits of the DS.

It's all about the ridiculously cool concept anyway, who cares if the execution isn't perfect.

Blizzard

Banned
If it takes more than a day after release for there to be a picture of a cat wearing that hat, then I'm disappointed in the internet. :lol

I actually switched my preorder from Amazon to Gamestop. I can't believe I did that for a rooster hat that won't even fit my fat head. Ah well.

In other news, we got some rumorin' a-foot in regards to the commercials we may be seeing.

An actor friend of mine who will go nameless told me he auditioned for a commercial for the sleeper-favorite DS game late last week. The spot involves a mom-type lady, a teenager and a young kid trying to catch a bus. They miss it, then sit glumly on the bus bench and pull out their Nintendo DSes. The mom draws a bike, which appears, then she pedals away. The teen draws a sports car, in which he zooms off. The kid draws a Pterodactyl and flies off on the winged lizard. Bam! Lights down.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/697799/Scribblenauts-Commercials-Incoming.html

Intriguing! I usually hate all video game commercials, but this one doesn't seem to bad. It's hard to explain the concept to a casual gamer, but I think this does a good job.

That is to say, as long as it's true

toonhead2

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
I actually switched my preorder from Amazon to Gamestop. I can't believe I did that for a rooster hat that won't even fit my fat head. Ah well.

In other news, we got some rumorin' a-foot in regards to the commercials we may be seeing.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/697799/Scribblenauts-Commercials-Incoming.html

Intriguing! I usually hate all video game commercials, but this one doesn't seem to bad. It's hard to explain the concept to a casual gamer, but I think this does a good job.

That is to say, as long as it's true

I was thinking of switching orders too.

That commercial idea sounds similar to what I thought would be a good idea for a game like this. I think its neat.

Jackson said:
I love this thing. :lol

Will this be your new thinking hat for the office Jackson? :D

Blizzard

Banned
Forget switching preorders, this just means I need to go ahead and place my local preorder at Gamestop so I can get it on release day. The Amazon preorder that arrives a week later can go to someone else. :p

(welcome back Jackson...ooh, I have a question! Are you able to make any comments about whether the press release versions, i.e. IGN guy with his ROM, have fewer words than the final version? Or can you not talk about the development state since WB is in charge of announcements now?)

DirtRiver

I am going to buy a DS Lite for this one :D

My wallet is going to get mad but hey, its fucking Scribblenauts and I can make (virtual) money on it :lol

Jackson

Blizzard said:
Forget switching preorders, this just means I need to go ahead and place my local preorder at Gamestop so I can get it on release day. The Amazon preorder that arrives a week later can go to someone else. :p

(welcome back Jackson...ooh, I have a question! Are you able to make any comments about whether the press release versions, i.e. IGN guy with his ROM, have fewer words than the final version? Or can you not talk about the development state since WB is in charge of announcements now?)

Direct questions are harder to answer due to WB's pr/marketing plans, ya.

Well lord knows you've answered enough questions already. Can't say that I've ever seen a developer do this, at least not as real as you have been. Watching you get excited that Scribblenauts was winning all those E3 awards was so refreshing.

Cyndar

Neo Member
Like Strampas, I just got my account validated, and so I can finally post. (I registered a couple of months ago.) I read to about page 62, then gave up thinking that I'd never get my chance to post. I'm a little sad, though, as I missed my chance to speculate on the game now that more people have had the chance to play the game demo. I'm preordering the game tomorrow, hopefully.

The only thing I'm clueless about at this point is the extent to which items combine and interact. I'm not talking about using glue to attach two objects, or chopping down a tree. I'm thinking more along the lines of replacing the air in a helium balloon with hydrogen and then comparing it to the weight of the original helium balloon. We've seen that thermal vision is possible, but will it accurately depict the general temperature of items? I know that the game challenges your imagination, but I'm hoping that it uses your knowledge as well, be it scientific or otherwise.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
Yeah, I was wondering for a while if you could use a scale, then place objects on it and have the game tell you how much they weigh (according to Objectnaut). It would be interesting to have someone try to figure out various objects' physical properties using in-game methods like that instead of having to decompile the game...

Luigi87

Well I was trying to not purchase this as soon as it came out, wanting to save some money and all, but with that hat offer, pre-ordering was pretty much my only option!

Oh well, at least I'll play it sooner than I planned to <.<

Orison

Neo Member
EB Games Canada doesn't even list Scribblenauts on its site, let alone suggest anything about the rooster hat. :(

The DS "Coming soon" box is blank. At least the guys at my local store knew what it was and didn't fumble about placing my preorders.

mclem

Feep said:
She claims that there is some kind of hyper-advanced mode, whereby you can only use an item once per GAME. As in, you need to beat all 220 levels and not use a single item more than once throughout the entire run.

I can't remember if I'd posted about it before, but
I'd intended to make a 'hard mode' up myself - but pretty much the exact opposite of that: Trying to find the minimum number of words you'd need to solve *everything* the game throws at you. It'd encourage creative alternative uses for words you've already used.

Orison said:
EB Games Canada doesn't even list Scribblenauts on its site, let alone suggest anything about the rooster hat. :(

The DS "Coming soon" box is blank. At least the guys at my local store knew what it was and didn't fumble about placing my preorders.
EB's Canadian website has been like that for ages, I honestly don't know why. There's been a message stating "We are working hard to bring online shopping to this website" for years.

Orison

Neo Member
lordoftherink said:
EB's Canadian website has been like that for ages, I honestly don't know why. There's been a message stating "We are working hard to bring online shopping to this website" for years.
I'd be satisfied if they even had a catalogue that just allowed you to see what was generally considered 'in stock' with maybe a way to query if local store X had it. I guess that'd require giving an F in the first place. I love how the flyers are just scanned PDFs of the finished printouts distributed to stores.

DaveKap

Banned
I was going to wait until I saw what pre-orders this game would have and where before making my purchase, but as soon as I saw that hat on Kotaku I instantly went over to the ebgames website and pre-ordered.

Good job at cinching my money up nice and quick, 5th Cell!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Crap! I'm moving in the September, and won't get a chance to pre-order at the Gamestop there until I visit in mid-August. I hope that's not to late to get a Rooster hat.

Jackson, if you're allowed to talk about it, I'm really curious as to the story behind the creation of an actual Rooster Hat as a pre-order bonus.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
Crap! I'm moving in the September, and won't get a chance ot pre-order at the Gamestop there until I visit in mid-August. I hope that's not to late to get a Rooster hat.

Just preorder online and select the store you want to pick it up from. That's what I did since I'll be living in a dorm away from home in September.

Jackson

SirPenguin said:
Well lord knows you've answered enough questions already. Can't say that I've ever seen a developer do this, at least not as real as you have been. Watching you get excited that Scribblenauts was winning all those E3 awards was so refreshing.

Ya dude, I appreciate your enthusiasm and effort as well with Scribblenautics and everything. :D And not just you but the artists doing avatars and everyone telling their friends. It's really amazing how people have latched onto this title!

toonhead2 said:
From the looks of it probably not.

I've worn it :lol

Puffles

Banned
Jackson said:
I've worn it :lol

Jackson, you really have a tendency to do this:

Skeptic: "This game looks awesome overall, but sadly this certain thing isn't perfect."
Jackson: "You're wrong. It is perfect and awesome. [insert proof that it is perfect and awesome here]"
Skeptic: :O

Speaking of clothing, can we make Maxwell crossdress? Can he put on a MAID OUTFIT or a WEDDING DRESS if we tell him to?

Jackson

Puffles said:
Jackson, you really have a tendency to do this:

Someone: "This game looks awesome, but sadly this certain thing isn't perfect."
Jackson: "You're wrong. It is perfect and awesome. [insert proof that it is perfect and awesome here]"
Someone: :O

I have the info. People have misconceptions, I like fixing those misconceptions. Is that so wrong? :)

Kinda like I'm doing right now...? O_O lol

I never allude that the game is perfect either, nor would I ever defend it as such. I'm just being real dawg.

Puffles said:
Speaking of clothing, can we make Maxwell crossdress? Can he put on a MAID OUTFIT or a WEDDING DRESS if we tell him to?

Oh Maxwell is secure with his sexuality, if he needs to rock a wig or a dress for his mission, he's down. (or for no reason at all...?)

Orison

Neo Member
Jackson said:
Oh Maxwell is secure with his sexuality, if he needs to rock a wig or a dress for his mission, he's down.
Sir, I don't think anyone, or at least many people, put much thought towards Maxwell's sexuality before that.
Now I'm wondering what it takes to have a chance with him.
:lol

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
I don't think that Jackson was implying that we question Maxwell's sexuality. He was just stating that Maxwell is so secure with himself that he'd be fine dressing up in drag if asked. :D

Puffles

Banned
Yay! I'm happy that crossdressing is allowed! Maxwell would look adorable in drag. <3

Speaking of adorable, you look adorable and badass at the same time, Jackson. I didn't even know that was possible outside the realm of anime chicks wielding fantasy-style weapons, but I suppose that's the true power of the Rooster Hat.

Top Bottom