• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CING files for bankruptcy

Neomoto

What the hell :-( Maybe Nintendo should help them out, being one of the few 3rd party developers actually making worth a damn for their systems and a few 2nd party titles.

duckroll

Neomoto said:
What the hell :-( Maybe Nintendo should help them out, being one of the few 3rd party developers actually making worth a damn for their systems and a few 2nd party titles.

Unfortunately I don't think Nintendo would really care to save a developer when the sales don't seem to imply anything of value to Nintendo. It's very unfortunate.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Man that really sucks.

Were they not involved with Shiren 4 at all? Though I guess it wasn't really setting the media create hearts on fire.

duckroll

sprsk said:
Man that really sucks.

Were they not involved with Shiren 4 at all? Though I guess it wasn't really setting the media create hearts on fire.

Wrong developer? Shiren is by Chunsoft.

iceatcs

Awwhh, I love their adventure DS games. :(

Hope it didn't mean completely close down, are they?

How will this affect being able to get LKS in Europe? I still don't own a Wii but I don't want to miss out on this game when I eventually do get one either.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
duckroll said:
Wrong developer? Shiren is by Chunsoft.

AAAaahhh right right. Brain fart. Still though, sucks. Independent studios here need all the support they can get.

loosus

Banned
While I hate to see anybody lose their job, I just could not stand a single one of their games. I understand there is a niche market for these types of games, but that's exactly how they need to treat these games: as niche games. You can't put a whole team on these types of games with semi-high production values and expect to be consistently profitable.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ShinobiFist said:
Nintendo needs to hook them up with cash. 2.5 million USD is nothing to Nintendo.

Companies don't go bankrupt because they have liabilities, they go bankrupt because their ability to generate revenue in the future can't offset their liabilities. There's no company in the history of the world out there whose financial position is "We're making a profit, our business is sustainable, we're making headway, our stock price is up, we're well respected... welp, we can't service our debt payments time to shut down!"

Moreover, companies that are debt-heavy but profitable generally have no problem raising funding or floating corporate bonds to defer their debt payment. In fact, that's an incredibly common practice.

If you want Nintendo to buy out Cing, go ahead and post it, but it's not like writing them a comical cheque for their entire debt load would be practical or useful.

duckroll

Cerebral Assassin said:
They saved Monolith didn't they?

They didn't save Monolithsoft, they bought into Monolithsoft. Monolithsoft was previously owned by Bandai Namco Games, and now Nintendo has a majority stake in the developer. Monolithsoft was not really in any danger of closing when Nintendo bought into it.

loosus said:
While I hate to see anybody lose their job, I just could not stand a single one of their games. I understand there is a niche market for these types of games, but that's exactly how they need to treat these games: as niche games. You can't put a whole team on these types of games with semi-high production values and expect to be consistently profitable.

I'm a little confused as to what you're referring to. Cing is a very small developer, and none of their games are even of "semi-high" production values. A game like Hotel Dusk has very low production values and sold AMAZINGLY well both in Japan (over 200k) and worldwide (iirc ~100-200k in the US).

What is unfortunate is that all their recent titles bombed hard. Again, Another Code R, Last Window - all total bombs. It's definitely not the production value of their games which killed them, but their failure to sell. We could blame Tecmo and Nintendo for lack of marketing, but ultimately what's done is done.

I kinda liked their games, but I don't think I'll miss them very much as a developer. It's still a sad thing to see a creative, little company like CING go down. :(

F#A#Oo

Banned
loosus said:

I agree...every developer should try to make similar games to each other and stay within a certain genre that is liked by the mainstream...

Empty

electroshockwave said:
How will this affect being able to get LKS in Europe? I still don't own a Wii but I don't want to miss out on this game when I eventually do get one either.

Not much, as Rising Star games the publisher in europe is still in business. Even if they weren't, or if they never print another copy, it wouldn't cost too much on ebay or amazon marketplace.

obaidr

Banned
have they been Nintendo exclusive? If yes nintendo should buy them out or at least give them some money for future projects.

duckroll

obaidr said:
have they been Nintendo exclusive? If yes nintendo should buy them out or at least give them some money for future projects.

Nintendo already gave them money for Another Code R and Last Window. The games bombed. Why should Nintendo give them more money if it's not profitable?

faridmon

what? first Team Boom Blox dessolve now this. damn i am depressed.

this is not good month so far. Theatre of Targedy Disband, Acid Flavour Disband, Closure of Team Boomblox at EA and now this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
What is unfortunate is that all their recent titles bombed hard. Again, Another Code R, Last Window - all total bombs. It's definitely not the production value of their games which killed them, but their failure to sell. We could blame Tecmo and Nintendo for lack of marketing, but ultimately what's done is done.

Again seemed to have some pretty awful production issues as well, because it ended up getting delayed more than 12 months... which is really more than 100% of what the development time for the game should have been.

Sipowicz

Banned
duckroll said:
Nintendo already gave them money for Another Code R and Last Window. The games bombed. Why should Nintendo give them more money if it's not profitable?

because they're awesome

Top Bottom