• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS eliminates its best new feature: 10 person, 60 min Family Sharing plan for Xbone

Publishers would've killed that feature pretty quickly anyway. Just look at what happened to the PSN share feature that ended up being reduced because publishers were getting upset about people being able to buy one copy of a game and then spread it out to multiple people for free.

Microsoft wasn't willing to spend more on giving more advantages to an online only solution and instead just said fuckit, we'll find other ways to make money off of you.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Microsoft won customers. I lost features. This is a selfish "FUCK!"

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Never forget...

Qf0kCRD.png

Awntawn

this was never going to be as good as you thought it was. just be thankful you didn't end up having to find out about it after the shaft was already inserted

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
They could have still theoretically implemented this on digital only games. It's a shame they chose to just drop it completely.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yeah this was one good feature of the old dystopian DRM system... Hopefully both system will reintroduce it later.

Bsigg12

It's the price we pay. They can't run the service if they can't constantly know what games you have on your account.

adj_noun

Well, raspberries. I was looking forward to not having to use discs after the initial download too.

I suppose there's always digital download.

Hana-Bi

Well without DRM, discless gaming and the online check of your account the family plan could be exploited to death.

What about the Steam game sharing rumour? Would the “publisher excuse” still be valid if Steam implement this kind of sharing?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I couldn't give two shits about the loss of family sharing.

What we got in exchange is a million times better.

PBY

Banned
Yeah I think I liked the old policy better. Oh well, I recognize that it's a personal, specific use case thing.

Yeh but it's a small price to pay for a much bigger victory for the consumer : getting back real ownership and banishing the parole officer check in.

Jomjom

Banned
Nobody even really knew what Family sharing was or how it was going to work. You guys are like people attending a stranger's funeral.

Chitown B

I'm so upset by this. Took away family sharing digital games, which is the future, and also kept the need for disc in tray. Gave me no internet connection needed - I'm on 24/7 as it is, that's not a benefit.

This helps almost no one. Anyone upset by the initial MS offering jumped to PS4 and will be too proud to jump back. Anyone who is a PS fanboy is already getting PS4.

All it's doing it hurting people who were going to buy and were excited about the new future features.

I'm a bit disappointed they couldn't find a way for both to co-exist as it seemed to be the one redeeming thing about their policies. However, by no means was it worth what we were losing in the process. I'll take this announcement over the family sharing any day. I just wish I had both.

Rhindle

Oh well. I was hoping they would retain their announced system as an opt-in alternative. For me at least, the positives outweighed the negatives.

Thanks angry internet mob.

nib95

Banned
Never forget...

Qf0kCRD.png

This is such bullshit. The sharing and lending feature wasn't even available at launch, by their own small print. Add to that, we have no idea what restrictions would have been placed, and whichever dolt made this has cleverly forgot to include the fact that the people sharing have to download the game first to be able to play it. Given the expected sizes of next gen games, that doesn't sound too fun.

Best new feature of the console eliminated:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

At times forums are ridiculous. All we ve read for weeks is 'PS4 day one' 'MS lost my custom' they have listened and there was gonna be
Sacrifices.
I was happy with the new system and the family plan. Now its just cost me more . I share games or buy 2 copies of say COD or FIFA with my kid . Now I Definetly have to buy 2 copies. Give with one hand and take with another . The power of the fanboy strikes again.

Joe

What a shitty trade off. Internet kids that probably wouldn't even bought an xbone regardless ruined it.

Meier

I don't believe they would have allowed re-selling of digital games anyway so it's kind of funny that's even mentioned as a possibility.

They could have still theoretically implemented this on digital only games. It's a shame they chose to just drop it completely.

That's what the 24 hour checks were for. They needed you to be online all the time so they could see which games you own and which you weren't playing.

Cels

Yeah the sharing policy makes no sense for disc-based games now that Xbone games can be shared like other games today, but they should have preserved the sharing system for digital downloads.

ultron87

Sad to see it go, but probably worth it in the end.

Now I just want to know how it was actually going to work but we'll probably never know.

If they could have made it optional, it could have been great. Give people the option dammit. It has great potential, sharing of digital content through official means is going to be the next big thing and it's disappointing to see both MS and Sony yet again fall behind Steam.

charsace

This and having multiple games running at once are dead. Most likely they will be back for the next media box iterations.

JesseZao

Indeed. Why can't they have "optional DRM" to allow this?

If you've been online in the last day, your friends can play your games as long as they are online.

Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold.

This makes me really fucking sad, sharing the games online was definitely the best Xbox One feature.

I wish using discs would be left behind going into the next generation. Thanks for ruining it guys!

Top Bottom