• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feminists outraged for Playboy's Wonder Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarienA said:
I'm confused as to what the uproar is over.....

yeah, im confused here.

Its like they sat around in a room wondering if the picture was offensive or not, then decided to say it was without any proof.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
DarienA said:
I'm confused as to what the uproar is over.....
Me too. I mean Wonder Woman is just filled with bondage and domination themes. She carries a lasso to tie people up and make them say what she wants...She becomes powerless when her hands are bound together. She even looks like a dominatrix clad in the American flag. Hell wasn't the original creator a polygamist?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I guess now that I've thought about it that feminists hold Wonder Woman up as some role model, strong feminine character, etc. and for some playboy model to not only be dressed up as her but actually be body painted as her, they take as some kinda insult or something demeaning, since it's playboy a book I'm sure mosts feminists don't support because of its glorification of women as objects.... or something like that...

still seems silly.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Is there really only one picture showing the goods?

Failure of epic proportions...

LCGeek

formerly sane
Ignore militant feminists they are some of the most intolerant people around possible despite how they try to come off as tolerant. For a group so represeed you'd figured they understand that people in a society should be to do what they want. Instead they often tell women how think, act, dress, and live despite not wanting men to meddle in their lives. If anything that makes them self practicing sexists. People should be within reasonable limits allowed to present how they want within this kind of are of sexuality. If a woman feels that way how is it another woman's right to say this effects me it doesn't which is why the bigger picture of thi dicussion needs to be done in this country.

Lobster

Banned
Last link has the link to the pics. Click the first link at the last link.

Her face isn't the best but by god what a body.

aoi tsuki

i can kinda see the reason for this response. Lynda Carter was a feminist icon of sorts, so to replace her with Fallon who's obviously just another vapid tv vixen is a kick in the face. Add to that Playboy's writeup makes her sound like she's upholding Wonder Woman's legacy, which was evidently being more than jackoff material.

Maybe it's because i'm a guy and had a different focus, but i never saw Wonder Woman as an icon or hero. Hot woman in a leotard whips me with a whip that initiates a truth or dare scenario? That's a fantasy, not an icon for a just cause. Looking to entertainment for heroes is a dangerous activity.

Prime crotch said:

haha, ok as a female, i am not offended by this, i just think its funny you posted all these links without actually reading them. i just skimmed two and they both had the exact same sentence basically saying in the article they were calling her the "modern-day Lynda Carter" who they thought actually was some sort of role model back then.

not saying i agree or disagree, but some of them did actually explain why they are mad, not just posting the pictures :lol

holliberry said:
haha, ok as a female, i am not offended by this, i just think its funny you posted all these links without actually reading them. i just skimmed two and they both had the exact same sentence basically saying in the article they were calling her the "modern-day Lynda Carter" who they thought actually was some sort of role model back then.

not saying i agree or disagree, but some of them did actually explain why they are mad, not just posting the pictures :lol
I admit I just read one or two links but I thought I got the gist of it. Although even after reading about Lynda I still don't "get it", I always saw WW as just WW. Even some seem more mad about the girl itself than the Playboy PR snip.
Eric P said:
she's wearing more in the photos than wonder woman has in her comics
Her boots are totally wrong though.

madara

Okay I get now, yeah its more about what they are claiming she is then a actual photo. Plus I am sure if Superman was on front cover of Playgirl some folks would be upset to no end, along those lines.

Eric P

Prime crotch said:
Her boots are totally wrong though.

sorry, never looked that far down

madara said:
Okay I get now, yeah its more about what they are claiming she is then a actual photo. Plus I am sure if Superman was on front cover of Playgirl some folks would be upset to no end, along those lines.

i can think of one gaffer who wouldn't be

madara said:
I think they would sooner buy the issue and complain that he should have been on Returns rather Brandon Ruth.

RubxQub

Lobster said:
Last link has the link to the pics. Click the first link at the last link.

Her face isn't the best but by god what a body.
I'm only seeing one picture of her chest, and that's it.

Surely there's more?!

RubxQub

RumpledForeskin said:
It'd be awesome is playboy sued all these retards for using the cover without permission.
Sue them for what exactly?

The pictures inside I understand...but the cover?

RubxQub

RumpledForeskin said:
How do you understand the pictures inside but not the cover, it's all content.
I don't understand the cover because how is it any different than me walking by a magazine rack and seeing it sitting there?

Covers are meant to be devices to sell magazines. It would be counter-intuitive to make it illegal to publicize the cover.

RubxQub

RumpledForeskin said:
Yeah, I'm not gonna get into how intellectual property works in a thread about naked wonder woman because of a light hearted comment I made.
Aw come on! I'm curious now.

RubxQub

Captain Glanton said:
Frankly, I can't think of a better place to do so.
If I'm wrong, I'd love to know just how stupid people in industry are.

If it's illegal to have someone else use your magazine cover (which is created to generate sales), than there are some pretty hilarious laws out there.

Time to pull out one of my favorite WW pictures!

2192773673_97133d15e7.jpg

Have not seen the pics yet but I doubt it's worth getting in a ramage for. Rather see a hot chick in a WW bodypaint outfit than a dood. Like Tron-Guy. *shudder*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiffany_Fallon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynda_Carter

Ok, so this Fallon girl hasn't done as much TV work. Both seem to have had their careers started by being physically attractive. I'm seeing nothing, at least in the wiki entries, that makes Lynda Carter so special that the fem-nazi's have to get their iron panties in a bunch.

That being said, I don't really give a crap about some wank magazine's latest pandering to one-handed bandits. But common, where's the outrage coming from?

M3wThr33

Banned
Oh man, and I just started a playboy subscription! Sweet!

I know my ex adored WW. Hell if I know why. The shit that some women accept and revile is almost random, really. I could never tell if something was going to be sexist or empowering if I mentioned it or showed it to her. She was crazy.

aoi tsuki said:
i can kinda see the reason for this response. Lynda Carter was a feminist icon of sorts, so to replace her with Fallon who's obviously just another vapid tv vixen is a kick in the face. Add to that Playboy's writeup makes her sound like she's upholding Wonder Woman's legacy, which was evidently being more than jackoff material.

Maybe it's because i'm a guy and had a different focus, but i never saw Wonder Woman as an icon or hero. Hot woman in a leotard whips me with a whip that initiates a truth or dare scenario? That's a fantasy, not an icon for a just cause. Looking to entertainment for heroes is a dangerous activity.

Yes, because Wonder Woman was a bondage and spanking fetish piece for her creator William Moulton Marston.

Clearly feminists have not read the olde timey Wonder Woman comics where she's getting tied up and milk poured over her. It's like some Japanese gravure video before DVD's were invented.

But it's all good as Marston also invented the polygraph machine. Take that! :p

would any man complain if some masculine figure (McGuyver?) was sexualized for female enjoyment? Thats the worst part of sex-wars, there is no even playing field, women will always hold us to a higher standard than we hold them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom