• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Is it bad that I'm mildly enjoying the show? :eek:

Watching Iron Fist right now and I think it's pretty terrible so far. Maybe it's confirmation bias, maybe not. I'm definitely not really excited about anything that's happening, and I enjoy pretty much everything related to superhero shit.

Colleen Wing is definitely the best character so far.

Also
Gao is part of the Hand now
? That's pretty damn ironic considering season 2 of Daredevil had a scene where some white dude gets called out for conflating Chinese and Japanese people.

zeemumu

I care very little for Iron Fist so it would've had to have tried pretty hard to get me interested anyway.

I've seen that long trailer for Ghost in the Shell several times now and from a visual standpoint it looks nice. I'm not very familiar with the source material though so I don't know the extent of the Hollywood meddling.

Saw Kong: Skull Island, though. I can't believe we're actually going ahead with the Kaiju Cinematic Universe. I'm excited.

And I'm officially on Spring Break

wandering

Banned
Iron Fist was dead on arrival for me, not just because of its cultural tone-deafness but because I have a really really low tolerance for hammy writing and acting, to the point where it was a struggle for me to even get through Daredevil. If the critics thought it was mediocre, then I know I shouldn't even bother.

I mean, the show isn't that bad, honestly, but damn is the Mandarin awful. It really is like Arrow season 1.

The opening definitely falls short of the other Marvel shows', too.

Blackhead

Redarse
i still kinda want to watch it just for her. i keep thinking it can't be that bad

*welp*

Ep 6:
stereotypical asian seductress assassin, I only stomached through because my man Hoon Lee is the mentor

only to be followed by
Ep 7:
what happened to vow of chastity
what happened to Iron Fist's Colleen Wing Doesn't Want to Be A Love Interest
"”The most defining word that comes to mind is alone—in all its positives and negatives. She doesn't want to be anyone's love interest and open herself up in that way.""
why you lying, Jessica? I'm out :/

Izuna

Banned
Iron Fist is making me cringe at the Kendo shit, had to stop watching.

I'm barely culturally Asian but fuck did it piss me off

Please tell me he doesn't stick chopsticks in a rice bowl anytime.

Quick

Banned
I'm liking Iron Fist a lot. The first two episodes could've been merged together and the fat trimmed, but characters are pretty good and engaging enough.

I watched a part where Danny schools Colleen on how to run her school. I can see how it can be interpreted as Whitesplaining or "White guy tells Asian woman how to do Asian stuff", but it almost comes off as part of how the character of Danny Rand is being portrayed as socially awkward.

He's been away for 15 years and his social skills are pretty shot, just on the basis of having been away for so long.

I'd say the worst of this is when he decides to try and take over a class, and gets told to stop by Colleen.

Oof. I know the feeling of being betrayed. One of the worst feelings ever.

That sucks, sorry man :(

thats rough :( so sorry to hear that and glad to hear that you are moving on

Fuck. That sucks so much. If you ever need to just vent, we're here for you.

Thanks... I've already felt like I've vented too much in this thread, so if anyone is willing to listen I can bitch over PMs.

SRG01

I'm liking Iron Fist a lot. The first two episodes could've been merged together and the fat trimmed, but characters are pretty good and engaging enough.

I watched a part where Danny schools Colleen on how to run her school. I can see how it can be interpreted as Whitesplaining or "White guy tells Asian woman how to do Asian stuff", but it almost comes off as part of how the character of Danny Rand is being portrayed as socially awkward.

He's been away for 15 years and his social skills are pretty shot, just on the basis of having been away for so long.

I'd say the worst of this is when he decides to try and take over a class, and gets told to stop by Colleen.

The one redeeming factor about the show is that they don't hold back on showing how awful Danny is most of the time, haha.

Izuna

Banned
Iron Fist is so terrible

I'm watching it as a comedy

It gets worse, EP5 is probably the pinnacle

I'm satisfied enough that Iron Fist and GitS are being received poorly—as if we are applying a penalty on them for whitewashing—even if the actual reason they are getting eviscerated in reviews is because they actually suck. I didn't even get through the first episode of Iron Fist. I don't hate it, but it doesn't really draw me in.

The thing in France is so fucked up. I don't even know how to respond to that.

And, of course, there's today's Mike Flynn madness. That's more engrossing than anything else right now.

cdyhybrid

I'm satisfied enough that Iron Fist and GitS are being received poorly—as if we are applying a penalty on them for whitewashing—even if the actual reason they are getting eviscerated in reviews is because they actually suck. I didn't even get through the first episode of Iron Fist. I don't hate it, but it doesn't really draw me in.

The thing in France is so fucked up. I don't even know how to respond to that.

And, of course, there's today's Mike Flynn madness. That's more engrossing than anything else right now.
It still puts another dent in the fantasy that white lead = successful production.

I mean, we already have more than enough evidence, but more doesn't hurt.

Nobody get banned in the GitS threads, okay? :lol

What in the fuck was even happening in that thread? I didn't even read a page and I had a headache. Something about Asian actors aren't talented enough to he can't be racist because he fetishizes Japanese women to I don't even fucking know.

Quick

Banned
Finished Iron Fist last night.

It wasn't bad overall, but there's just a lot of opportunities missed. Plenty of stuff left on the table to work with, and it's just the matter of someone competent making it work. I wish the Daredevil team was working on Iron Fist.

Asian cast was superb. Top marks to Jessica Henwick and Wai Ching Ho. I wish Sacha Dawan was introduced earlier, I think he could've been better served to remind Danny of his duty to K'un Lun vs. Danny just talking about it or internalizing it. Hope he gets a more prominent role in season 2.

Funny enough, I know Sacha Dawan best from An Adventure in Space and Time and Outsourced. Pleasant surprise to see him pop up in the show.

cdyhybrid

byEKRtm.png

Blackhead

Redarse
Finished Iron Fist last night.

It wasn't bad overall, but there's just a lot of opportunities missed. Plenty of stuff left on the table to work with, and it's just the matter of someone competent making it work. I wish the Daredevil team was working on Iron Fist.

Asian cast was superb. Top marks to Jessica Henwick...

Jessica is fine but Colleen is shit. Cross posting from the other threads:

What are the redeeming factors? For Luke Cage for example it was Cottonmouth and the whole art/music direction.
5472159-3603070599-tumbl.jpg

Fuck no. I rage-quit after episode 7 but my friends soldiered on so I ended up hearing the rest in the background.Colleen's characterization is all over the place and the episode 10 hand twist just belabors the point. Was she trained by her grandfather as Gao said or the Hand? Why the fuck is she fighting for money to maintain the dojo instead of just asking for funds/collecting a paycheck from the Hand since she's apparently good at her job of funneling trainees to them? If she's trained by the Hand why's she feeling guilty about feeling good fighting and not keeping her emotions in check?

The actress is alright but some of the lines are so bad that nobody could make them believable. There's that epic fail in episode 13 where after Claire gives her speech why Danny shouldn't kill Howard then Colleen decides to jump in with her own mini-speech only to end with "which is why I have to kill Howard for you" I did a double take and had to ask for a skip backwards just to confirm with my eyes if she really spit out that shit. The only appropriate response is as Claire does; throw up your arms in frustration.

uiw0Ufy.jpg

The only redeeming part of this show is when Claire tells these fucktards that they need to get serious professional help

Colleen started in episode 1 as an independent woman, a strong pillar in her community, but by the end of the season they have contrived to cut her off everyone (they made her community 'evil') except for virgin boy who, after Colleen sleeps with, she is willing to go the ends of the earth for, die for and even kill for. She is left with nothing else but him, no other purpose besides his. Defenders of the show justify the random Davos heel turn in the finale by saying it's based on the comics but this transformation of Colleen I can't find an explanation anywhere. In the comics Colleen is the best friend of the Danny's Love Interest, Misty, and they have their own team up distinct from Danny. Misty, by the way, is already in the Netflix Marvel Universe so no reason to resort to tieing up Colleen. Is Colleen just going to be cast aside by Danny when Misty pops up in the Defenders? But I digress... and frankly I won't be watching to find out. Colleen was the most disappointing part of Iron Fist and I'm completely disillusioned

Why are you guys wasting time watching Iron Fist? Samurai Gourmet is a much superior Netflix show, and it's just about a sentimental retiree finding places to eat. Warning, have some food nearby because it will make you hungry.

Jessica is fine but Colleen is shit. Cross posting from the other threads:

Colleen started in episode 1 as an independent woman, a strong pillar in her community, but by the end of the season they have contrived to cut her off everyone (they made her community 'evil') except for virgin boy who, after Colleen sleeps with, she is willing to go the ends of the earth for, die for and even kill for. She is left with nothing else but him, no other purpose besides his. Defenders of the show justify the random Davos heel turn in the finale by saying it's based on the comics but this transformation of Colleen I can't find an explanation anywhere. In the comics Colleen is the best friend of the Danny's Love Interest, Misty, and they have their own team up distinct from Danny. Misty, by the way, is already in the Netflix Marvel Universe so no reason to resort to tieing up Colleen. Is Colleen just going to be cast aside by Danny when Misty pops up in the Defenders? But I digress... and frankly I won't be watching to find out. Colleen was the most disappointing part of Iron Fist and I'm completely disillusioned
Of course. OF COURSE she had to hook up with the white guy.

Looks like episode 1 is where I stop, then.

Why are you guys wasting time watching Iron Fist? Samurai Gourmet is a much superior Netflix show, and it's just about a sentimental retiree finding places to eat. Warning, have some food nearby because it will make you hungry.
I was actually playing Episode Gladiolus​. Damn
Cor

Izuna

Banned
I'm enjoying the later parts of Iron Fist because, by this point, it's a comedy for me.

It's a bit of a shame that it gives off this Pan-Asian vibe with no representation from South East Asia. But then, I'm not sure why I would want this show to do it.

~~

If I may, Bae finished her latest dress which is gunna be photographed professionally soon.

Some Asian talent:

17554356_958585114278229_364518849781497182_n.jpg

@erikasonoda_couture on instagram

~~

I don't really need to care about GitS. If it was trying to tell a new story, maybe I'd feel like I should get up to speed, but if it's a poor attempt at the same thing then I'll pass. At least unless someone else makes me watch it.

zeemumu

I'm enjoying the later parts of Iron Fist because, by this point, it's a comedy for me.

It's a bit of a shame that it gives off this Pan-Asian vibe with no representation from South East Asia. But then, I'm not sure why I would want this show to do it.

~~

If I may, Bae finished her latest dress which is gunna be photographed professionally soon.

Some Asian talent:

17554356_958585114278229_364518849781497182_n.jpg

@erikasonoda_couture on instagram

~~

I don't really need to care about GitS. If it was trying to tell a new story, maybe I'd feel like I should get up to speed, but if it's a poor attempt at the same thing then I'll pass. At least unless someone else makes me watch it.

That's a cool-ass dress.

Pretty good take down of Get Out's anti-asian slant.

https://qz.com/945493/get-out-shows...-can-fall-prey-to-asian-american-stereotypes/

By making this critique, I'm not attempting to deny the existence of anti-black racism by Asians (and other minorities). But in a social thriller that literally lights a fire under white American racism, the nameless Asian's few seconds on screen are decidedly odd. If the person's history, his particular brand of racism, and where he stands within the social hierarchy go unexamined by the film, why throw in an Asian character at all?
Perhaps Mr. Tanaka actually reflects mainstream American culture's longstanding discomfort with Asian men. This trend can be traced back to the 1961 movie, Breakfast at Tiffany's. That film featured Mr. Yunioshi, Holly Golightly's creepy and also unpartnered Japanese neighbor (cinematic bonus: Yunioshi was played in buck-toothed yellowface by Mickey Rooney). Then there is the beloved 1996 movie Fargo. Amidst a mostly white cast (the film is set in Minnesota), we meet Mike Yanagita, a former high school classmate of the protagonist Marge Gunderson. During their brief scene, the oily Mike tells Marge that his wife has died of cancer; he starts crying—and then uses it as an excuse to snuggle up and hit on her, even though she's clearly repelled and also enormously pregnant. Mike is later revealed to be a pervy, never-married liar who still lives with his parents—and he has no bearing on the larger plot, a murder investigation.
Then we have the endearingly creepy Lan Duk Dong (whose very name is, of course, an Asian joke), from Sixteen Candles (1984). He's slightly more consequential in the ensemble cast, but accompanied by a treasure trove of stereotypes: thick accent, goofy mannerisms, the sound of the gong announcing his appearance, a girlfriend who's supposed to emasculate him by being bigger and stronger than he is. That character went on to become a kind of racist playbook for belittling Asian men. Eric Nakamura, a founder of Giant Robot magazine, called it ”every bad stereotype possible, loaded into one character." The New Yorker artist Adrian Tomine even produced a comic strip about how much this character negatively affected his life.
These Asian characters all rely upon a specific series of stereotypes about Asian men—perpetual foreigners, inscrutable and so not to be trusted, sexually aberrant. In some ways this reflects Asians' odd liminal space in society. The ”almost white" model minority stereotype denies Asians their own stories while simultaneously engendering resentment from other minority groups who see Asians as bypassing them on the economic ladder. In actuality, this stereotype merely obscures the real issues of systemic racism, which undermines Asian-Americans as well.
In 1992, I wrote an op-ed for the New York Times, ”We Koreans Need an Al Sharpton," lamenting that a rap song calling for violence against Korean grocers was greeted by the music-loving public as perfectly acceptable. But Get Out shows that the model minority stereotype hasn't gone away.
Rich Asians, like the Tanaka character, certainly exist. But poor Asians also exist; it might surprise people to know that in New York City, the ethnic group with the highest rate of poverty is Asian Americans (pdf).
Moreover, the little we see of Tanaka suggests he is entitled, privileged, and clueless, ignorant of the horrific legacy of violence against blacks in this country. But by putting Asian Americans in a quasi-privileged position, we tend to gloss over racism and violence Asian Americans have faced. Consider the Japanese internment camps. And as Erika Lee, author of The Making of Asian America: A History points out, ”the largest citizen-led mass lynching in U.S. history involved Chinese immigrants in Los Angeles in 1871″—in which 17 Chinese immigrants were murdered by a crowd of 500.
Meanwhile in Hollywood, Asian bodies are still literally being inhabited by white people. White actors, including Tilda Swinton as the Wise One in Dr. Strange, Emma Stone as Allison Ng in Aloha, Scarlett Johansson as Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell, and even John Wayne's terrible Genghis Kahn, consistently portray Asian characters. Yet, few outside the Asian-American community bother to note this real-life horror, which snuffs out the economic lives of Asian-American actors and deprives Asian-Americans viewers—per-capita, the most frequent moviegoers in the US—of the chance to see ourselves onscreen.
Get Out is a smart movie that succeeds on many levels. But most people go to the movies to learn about the world around them. If what they know about other ethnicities is largely confined to what they see in pop culture, then filmmakers—even those limning social issues—must check for biases that inadvertently appear in their work. Otherwise even smart movies can wind up reinforcing the very stereotypes they set out to critique.

episode 3 of iron fist ... was bad ; __ ;

he teaches colleen how to properly interact with chi and then she ended up using the leopard punch at the crucial moment in her fight was so so so so so bad

so bad

his asian level was over 9000

he outasian asians

XD

I think, and this is just from my view like usual, some Asians and Asian Americans just don't care enough about the shit they go through. One thing I often hear is that they think what they face isn't racism at all compared to our black and brown brother and sisters.

They just refuse to see it unless it actually happens to them, I guess. Ignore, ignore, ignore, then it happens and NOW let's take action.

Unrelated: One of the more embarrassing things I often hear about inter-racial couples within my circle, "omg really? She is dating a White/Brown/Black dude? What a slut. No respect at all!"

I.... What?! Like.... How does that equate to being a slut and being disrespectful? I get that Asian American women don't give Asian American men that many chances but that's a whole different issue but what you are saying? What does that even mean!

If it was reversed, you can guarantee that nobody will make it that much of a deal besides the disrespect thing (which I still don't understand, honestly). Oh damn, BLOODED_hands is dating a Black chick?! Word. Wooooooord. I can't give an example what the girls would say because I'm not a girl, though.

I think, and this is just from my view like usual, some Asians and Asian Americans just don't care enough about the shit they go through. One thing I often hear is that they think what they face isn't racism at all compared to our black and brown brother and sisters.

They just refuse to see it unless it actually happens to them, I guess. Ignore, ignore, ignore, then it happens and NOW let's take action.
The thing is, that's what we're told, and that's a huge distinction. Like, take a look at that thread about indentured servitude versus slavery. It's not a contest, but people sure treat it as one.

The thing is, that's what we're told, and that's a huge distinction. Like, take a look at that thread about indentured servitude versus slavery. It's not a contest, but people sure treat it as one.

Yo, give me a link to that thread. Want to read it now.

Another thing, like you mentioned at the end, they really treat it as a contest. It's really not. But they have to treat it as one. Just felt like repeating that, lol.

Lol at the GiTS twist. Fucking Hollywhite, fam. No wonder some Asian Americans don't pursue a career in the movie industry. What's the point when nobody sees value in you as a human, right?

Top Bottom