• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert |OT| Beginning September 8th - 11:30/10:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

1bnjhi.png

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Never been a fan of late night talk shows, never found them very funny. Hoping that Colbert can change that for me.

TheOddOne

- EW: Late Show with Stephen Colbert announces second week's guests.
Stephen Colbert’s second week at The Late Show will continue tapping into his political side.

CBS announced Monday the schedule for the host’s first full week on the job, highlighted by Senator Bernie Sanders on the Sept. 18 show. Sanders will be the second presidential candidate in as many weeks, with Governor Jeb Bush popping up in the debut show on Sept. 8.

There’s also a prestigious Hollywood contingent set for Week 2, with appearances by Star Wars: The Force Awakens actress Lupita Nyong’o, Emily Blunt, Jake Gyllenhaal, and more. Check out the second week’s slate below:

9/14: Emily Blunt; Justice Stephen Breyer; musical performance by The Dead Weather
9/15: Jake Gyllenhaal; musical performance by Run The Jewels with TV On The Radio
9/16: Kevin Spacey; Carol Burnett with Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer of Broad City; musical performance by and interview with Willie Nelson
9/17: Naomi Watts; United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon
9/18: Lupita Nyong’o; Sen. Bernie Sanders; interview with and performance by An American in Paris’ Christopher Wheeldon, Robert Fairchild, and Leanne Cope

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Damn, just a bit over a week away.

The fact he's still going for politicians, CEOs and non-hollywood famous people makes me hopeful it won't just devolve into any of the other late night shows. And his writing staff should feel right at home.

Cannot wait give it to me.

It's been too long. I've got pretty high expectations, but here's hoping that it doesn't follow the "normal" late show formula too closely.

Hopefully with roughly double the time per night there's time for the guests plus some Report-esque segments.

Umibozu

It's been too long. I've got pretty high expectations, but here's hoping that it doesn't follow the "normal" late show formula too closely.

Hopefully with roughly double the time per night there's time for the guests plus some Report-esque segments.
he happily ditched the report character, and those segments will not work in the late night format.

edit: That is to say he was getting tired of the colbert report so he wouldn't want to continue the format he was doing on the report. He will likely do his own take on lat night, what his take will be is to be seen.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
he happily ditched the report character, and those segments will not work in the late night format.

edit: That is to say he was getting tired of the colbert report so he wouldn't want to continue the format he was doing on the report. He will likely do his own take on lat night, what his take will be is to be seen.

Yes, don't expect too much deviation from a typical late show format.

I didn't mean something straight of the the Report, I just meant some 3-5 minute comedy bits -- i.e. something other than monologue -> 25 minutes of guests -> musical guest, five times a week.

I have tickets for a "test show" tomorrow. I don't even know what that means or if it's worth it.
It's probably something just to see how the format works with a real audience. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be worth checking it out.

Umibozu

I didn't mean something straight of the the Report, I just meant some 3-5 minute comedy bits -- i.e. something other than monologue -> 25 minutes of guests -> musical guest, five times a week.
Ok, I was thinking you meant something like the report's pseudo reporting segments (like to better know a district and stuff). Late night shows already do comedy bit segments, they're between the monologue and the first guest. I enjoy the comedy bits like you, and wish they happened more frequently in late night. I would even like if the monologue was shortened for more time to do the bits, but I'm sure they can't deviate too much.

WillyFive

I would even like if the monologue was shortened for more time to do the bits, but I'm sure they can't deviate too much.

Why not? The only thing they need to adhere to is commercial breaks; they don't all need to follow the Carson formula at all, they could do something entirely new.

Suikoguy

Ok, I was thinking you meant something like the report's pseudo reporting segments (like to better know a district and stuff). Late night shows already do comedy bit segments, they're between the monologue and the first guest. I enjoy the comedy bits like you, and wish they happened more frequently in late night. I would even like if the monologue was shortened for more time to do the bits, but I'm sure they can't deviate too much.

It's a LOT of content to create for a show that's on 5 days a week for an hour.

I have tickets for a "test show" tomorrow. I don't even know what that means or if it's worth it.

You should go and report back.

Mariolee

MY HYPE LEVELS ARE THROUGH THE ROOF. I don't think I've ever been so excited for a late night talk show before.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm still nervous about this. He hasn't done much outside of his joke character for a decade. I hope he succeeds.

It's just what it sounds like. They're going to see how audiences react to their new format.

Mikey Jr.

That guest list is REALLY REALLY fucking interesting.

Enough of these brain dead actors and actresses. I really don't give a flying fuck about their vapid lives.

Elon Musk on there is so god damn badass. I might have to start watching late night shows again.

Draconian

Enough of these brain dead actors and actresses. I really don't give a flying fuck about their vapid lives.

Elon Musk on there is so god damn badass. I might have to start watching late night shows again.

Nah, Kevin Spacey's a great interview, no matter who's doing it.

Excellent lineup for those first two weeks. I'm really excited for the show and I bet it'll be great.

Of course these days I'm asleep by 9...

I was apprehensive when the news first broke but the build up has been executed pretty damn flawlessly. Having his entire writing team join him alleviates a lot of my fears and I think he's a naturally funny enough guy that he can succeed without falling back on his character. The last couple years of the Report he was already barely playing the character anyways.

lednerg

9/15: Jake Gyllenhaal; musical performance by Run The Jewels with TV On The Radio
9/16: Kevin Spacey; Carol Burnett with Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer of Broad City; musical performance by and interview with Willie Nelson
9/18: Lupita Nyong’o; Sen. Bernie Sanders; interview with and performance by An American in Paris’ Christopher Wheeldon, Robert Fairchild, and Leanne Cope

Dayum, Stephen's coming out swinging!

ryanthelion123

Neo Member

I think its awesome too. Lets celebrate people outside the entertainment industry.

Clefargle

Alright Steven, let's see what you can do with the new format. Shake up the boring talk show scene and make this a legendary run!

big ander

Biggest hope for the first week is that Troubled Waters band does turn out to be Pavement. other than that I think he'll just be generally very funny and not do anything too radical with the format

Run the Jewels on the first week... I'm going to cry.

This could be my favorite late night talkshow since Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

lednerg

Guys, those dates are for the second week. The show starts on the 8th:

Tuesday, Sept. 8: George Clooney; Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush; musical performance by Jon Batiste and Stay Human

Wednesday, Sept. 9: Scarlett Johansson; SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk; interview with and musical performance by Kendrick Lamar

Thursday, Sept. 10: Uber CEO Travis Kalanick; musical performance by Toby Keith

Friday, Sept. 11: Amy Schumer; Stephen King; interview with and musical performance by Troubled Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom