• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U announced - "Rethink the conventions of Zelda"

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
"Complete dungeons in a certain order"? You could sequence break to varying extents in the games already, despite the developers' best efforts to stop this. Metroid Prime was especially bad at trying to ruin sequence breaking.

It's fun.

But Zelda has always been an "open world" game since the first title. I think people are just misusing the word here. It's really kinda dumb.

I would slightly disagree. The game world suggested to be open but if you really break the structure down you see that it was quite linear and limited.

And with "open-world" I also connect travelling seamlessly. And that has never been in a 3D Zelda game.

The basic formula of Zelda is so general that, in my opinion, it's not a hindrance to them being really groundbreaking and great games. The problem I've had with the past two Zeldas is that the gameplay framework they build on TOP of that formula is the same outdated yawn-inducing, lifeless-world type thing. So having them say that they're going to break conventions and go back to basics does resonate with me to some level. Speaking with non-linearity, for instance, I would LOVE giant dungeons with multiple branching paths so that there's more than one way to get to the end. Building it this way I think could really give dungeons a really nice feeling of discovery, where you have a very large open area and you "discovered" the way out. The way dungeons are right now, with the collection of tidy linear puzzles, makes me feel like I'm just going through the motions to get to the end. There's zero sense of adventure.

Though honestly I really need to see the demos before I can get excited. Miyamoto did say that Twilight Princess was the "last of its kind", which ended up not really being true.

Raynes

I don't care what the fuck it is, just give me this:

b9vkki.gif

Anything less will result in dissapointment.

I don't quite understand why people want multiplayer in Legend of Zelda.

Because Nintendo doesn't do your everyday Call-of-Duty-multiplayer but integrates the experience to be able to play together in the living room. In Mario Galaxy this was more gimmicky but I would say that the WiiU GamePad gives much more possibilities.

Mojojo

Please no multiplayer in my Zelda, there is 4-swords spin off for that shit.
I wouldn't mind players being able to create their own dungeons and exchanging them online though .

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What is the definition of "open world" that is drawing negative reactions from people? Isn't the Zelda overworld an open world, more or less? Are you thinking it's gonna be like, Grand Theft Auto: Hyrule, or something?

Galang

Banned
The outer/inner dungeon mechanic was brilliant. Everything on the ground really did feel like on giant dungeon. Now they just need to keep that aspect and vastly expand the scope. It needs an infusion of Xenoblade in the respect.

I really loved this aspect of Skyward Sword.

I'm all for shaking up the formula a lot more. I'm actually very intrigued by what they mean by the multiplayer aspect.

duckroll

What is the definition of "open world" that is drawing negative reactions from people? Isn't the Zelda overworld an open world, more or less? Are you thinking it's gonna be like, Grand Theft Auto: Hyrule, or something?

Open world is a bad word and it shouldn't be used unless everyone has a common understanding of what the person using it means. Taken on face value it doesn't mean anything other than there being a wide open field to explore. Everyone has their own personal definitions of what components make up an "open world" game, but it's really just an idea and concept which invokes a certain visual feel. There are no mechanics which specifically define the term.

Linkhero1

Pretty much my thoughts. I don't think DS games held true to this.

Wow. Why would they announce it so early?

They didn't announce anything. They just told us the obvious with a bit of hint on the direction their taking.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Open world is a bad word and it shouldn't be used unless everyone has a common understanding of what the person using it means. Taken on face value it doesn't mean anything other than there being a wide open field to explore. Everyone has their own personal definitions of what components make up an "open world" game, but it's really just an idea and concept which invokes a certain visual feel. There are no mechanics which specifically define the term.

Yeah it seems that way. As far as I'm concerned, Zelda already is "open world".

Pejo

When was it confirmed there was multiplayer? It says play by yourself, which I assume means less handholding.

They said in their slide (in OP) that they want to challenge the conventions of beating levels in order and playing by yourself, at least that's how i took it.

CorvoSol

I, for one, look forward to the next two years of insane and vicious hype. I hope I can jump and use a Biggoron sword. This is all I'm asking you for Nintendo. Jump and Biggoron sword.

I would kill a man for a console level, top of the line Four Swords

jett

D-Member
Dreams of a Retro-developed Zelda have been shattered and destroyed. :(

Aonuma needs to GTFO. They said the same thing about Skyward Sowrd.

JDSN

Banned
Im okay with the current structure, if they can manage to make dungeons with alternate solutions based on the equipment you have then this game will be a complete success to me. Also, voice acting to every one.

Shahadan

Playing dungeons in a set order is the least of Zelda's problem Aonuma. Annoying hand holding and empty overworld is a big one.

Alex

My biggest wants, outside of convention breaking (which is pretty needed at this point) would just be to ease up on the prologue and please get over the travel gimmicks. Honestly, I don't even want a horse anymore.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I'm worried about making the game too non-linear. If you make the dungeons doable in any order you inevitably have to reduce the puzzle complexity and use of items that define the 3D games.

You don't have to reduce the puzzle complexity at all. What you have to do is reduce your reliance on the formula/structure that has been beaten death. Moving away from the strict reliance on items (that are often used heavily in one dungeon then forgotten) would be a start.

Linkhero1

They need to make this game more difficult. Skyward Sword was too easy. I didn't like the fact that dungeons were linear. One issue I had was that whenever I found a key, there would also be one door in the accessible area that it can open. I want to be able to explore a dungeon like in the A Link to the Past.

But Zelda has always been an "open world" game since the first title. I think people are just misusing the word here. It's really kinda dumb.

It's slowly eschewed adventurism for a more linear, hand holdy, experience.

OTT wasn't open world, it just had a hub world.

tipoo

Banned
well if its releases on 2015-2016 the Wii U most likely will have 1 - 2 price drops. But this confirms no New Zelda this E3.

I don't know about that, from what Reggie said I think they hope to keep the price the same most of this generation. If they change the value it will be with new bundles for the same price I would think.

It would be nice if they packed a wiimote in a bundle.

The real question: Will we finally have voices?

I'm fine with voices, but I hope Link stays silent. There's something about that which makes it better. The other characters who already have text dialog can have voices.

nasos_333

I don't care what the fuck it is, just give me this:

b9vkki.gif

Anything less will result in dissapointment.

They have already confirmed the art will be close to Zelda SS than this

So, get ready to be dissapointed :)

Nintendo sure knows how to dissapoint, first no Bravely Default on 3DS, then a stunning Zelda demo and a confirmation the actual game will look nothing like that

Top Bottom