• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Playstation devices mysteriously deactivated. Sony support cannot help. Help GAF

geordiemp

Or Sony could just enable 2 factor - problem solved as no one, even with your password could access your account without a secondary code supplied through the Google authenticator or a text message to your phone.
It's an absolute joke that a company with such a poor history on security hasn't done the most basic of security enforcement in this day and age.

Good post and my thoughts exactly - disabling 4 consoles (2x Ps3 and 2 x Ps4) should not be a 1 button click of the mouse if someone manages to get into your PSN account. Crazy.

Sony will challenge Comcast one day as having the worst customer service in the world.

They simply do not care.

My condolences to the OP. Hope you can get through to whoever actually makes a difference there and have your problem resolved.

But don't hold your breath.

Shengar

I made the mistake of having the same password for my email and PSN.

So probably someone hacked my email password and used that on PSN maybe...I dont really know.

However, once a hacker gets into your PSN, it should not be so easy to disable all your consoles primary status. That should be at the console only.

If you want to disable your consoles, it should be through customer services with validation of serial numbers, a phone back at your registered address, texting a pin to your home phone...there are lots of ways to make this more secure.

While your password not changed, it got me thinking that the hacker deliberately keep as it is in order to make his exploit clear of trails. After all, even without using your credit card information and such, they still got access to your digital library.

I suggest you use different number when calling the support again. I don't really know how you handle this in real life either by high temper or calm collected, but make sure you go for the latter. If the new CS still acting like an asshole, better withdraw for a while and retry for another CS that might do their job better by listening to you.

Hedrush

I think we need to stop with all the hacker talk, it's not the case here. Hackers don't hack your console to download the free games on psn. They hack it, change the password and buy bucket loads of fifa points.

navy

Banned
The answer is simple. Keep calling until you get someone useful. If you talk to someone you have before, hang up.

mortis316uk

Neo Member
what does it matter how the content was accessed - he wants the console he doesn't own deactivated and the one he does set as primary. It shouldn't be a big deal for the CS to do this but Sony seem to want to make things as awkward as possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What PSN support SHOULD of done is ask for all ps4 serial numbers that you have used your profile on (we have 2). I did not think but now I have written to PSN support listing my serial numbers of the Ps4 I own, and any other Ps4 that has my account on is an illegal hacked one.

PSN support should not be argumentative and get my back up, give some useful advice and maybe in a few days it can be sorted. But they just wanted to question and doubt my story and said I deactivated all my 4 consoles (2 ps4, 2 ps3).....why on earth would I do that ?

PSN customer service should of asked me for these serial numbers...and should of advised me to change my password.

It should be fairly easy and will soon become clear that there is a hacker with my profile but wrong serial number who cannot now log in after my password change.

well they could do that, or they could just take your concern and complaint and just do another 'deactivate all' and flagging it on your account. The 6 month limit is so you don't abuse it, but CS should be able to bypass that for cases like this. Then because you've changed the password you can go back in and activate your proper primary console as normal.

I'd just keep ringing until someone does that for you.

Iorv3th

Your sure the console that is now activated as primary isn't the one at grandmas house?

Should show the serial number on the website right and then you can cross check them.

breakfuss

The answer is simple. Keep calling until you get someone useful. If you talk to someone you have before, hang up.

He can keep calling, but it probably won't help any. Sony has taken a hard line with this recently. Last year you probably could have called a million times and they would have obliged.

what does it matter how the content was accessed - he wants the console he doesn't own deactivated and the one he does set as primary. It shouldn't be a big deal for the CS to do this but Sony seem to want to make things as awkward as possible.

People have already mentioned this, but it's worth repeating that the system has been abused.

Sony's own website isn't very secure. I mean if you're dealing with financial transactions, why do you keep accounts signed in indefinitely? Every time I navigate to the Sony store it has me logged in already, even if I haven't been on in weeks. When I make a purchase on Amazon I have to enter my password every time.

GeNoMe

I just realised that my PSN password info was identical to the one I use for my e-mail.
Made sure to change everything up just now, i'm not about to make these thieving fuckers their lives easier.

greepoman

I still wonder about your 12 year old even though you dismiss it. Never underestimate a kid's ability to get your passwords, etc. At least ask if he's noticed any strange activity that could be related.

Also what's with the random Microsoft dig out of nowhere("I'm the kind of customer MS wish they kept")?

geordiemp

I still wonder about your 12 year old even though you dismiss it. Never underestimate a kid's ability to get your passwords, etc. At least ask if he's noticed any strange activity that could be related.

Also what's with the random Microsoft dig out of nowhere("I'm the kind of customer MS wish they kept")?

Its not a dig, 360 had better live and security...just so mad this weekend I end up ranting a bit.

I am just saying I am a good customer to have, bought tons of 360 games for our 2 consoles (used to buy 2 copies of each game !) and tons of Ps4 digitally to share between our 2 consoles.

Sony could learn about security from MS...hell from anybody

Does your kid knows your PSN password?

No he does not. He does not even know his own PSN password, I have to do it for him. Thats why I am 100 % confident my son would not go onto my PSN account on a PC and delete all consoles...which would also be a no motive stupid act. He gets every game he asks for, all DLC for every game we play...so his motive for going behind my back is ZERO.

Also all purchases require my PIN, so it not so easy for hacker who got my password to use my credit card. I deleted my card now anyway...never going back on Psn thats for bloody sure. God if I did not have the PIN requirement checked I would probably have lots of FIFA points or something crap spent on my card...thank god for small mercies.

Sony's own website isn't very secure. I mean if you're dealing with financial transactions, why do you keep accounts signed in indefinitely? Every time I navigate to the Sony store it has me logged in already, even if I haven't been on in weeks. When I make a purchase on Amazon I have to enter my password every time.

I'm always signed in also just like xbox.com but as soon as I try to access anything account related or try to make a purchase I am required to enter my password.

Hedrush

Your sure the console that is now activated as primary isn't the one at grandmas house?

Should show the serial number on the website right and then you can cross check them.

I was thinking this, I had actually typed out something similar but deleted it as I'm sure the OP isn't that daft, surely.

sorry, my ears are burning.

you're right, I should be like "sorry, buddy. you bought all that stuff, so they owe it to you. fuck sony and their draconian customer service!"

15 years of anything will burn you out, and I'm not the type of person to eat shit all day and smile.

there's a reason why I don't do cs anymore. it got me through college, and I peaced the fuck out of that.
Why wouldn't you be that way? I guess you think op is lying.

You're right, you are an asshole

Aroll

Who is the BBB ?

By the way, I found I am not alone...same as author in the six axis article.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/02/04/sony-security-why-i-dont-trust-the-digital-only-future/

Of course not, but now I have a new password and made sure my CC details are deleted and password authorise for all purchases

If you also check reddit, the guy called support again, got someone totally different, and got it resolved in 5 minutes.

It sounds like you got an incompetent fool and they should be fired, and that this person may be answering other calls and giving the same garbage just because maybe they themselves don't know what to do.

Iorv3th

I was thinking this, I had actually typed out something similar but deleted it as I'm sure the OP isn't that daft, surely.

Well if the support rep told him it was a console he had made purchases on in the past...

Also he did say he account shared between the 2 consoles in his house or 2 consoles he owns. Or that he "buys 1 digital" so they both can play online at the same time. Couldn't have been trying to get that 3rd console to play online as well or something?

Why wouldn't you be that way? I guess you think op is lying.

You're right, you are an asshole

I think op is a bitch and there's a simpler explanation. This isn't some random hack job, because the evidence doesn't line up.

And calling shit out as I see it does make me an asshole. At least I own it.

Im not doubting your troubles. But, I had issues here and there and found Sony Customer Support to be helpful. Cant say that for every time I had to call. Not all support persons should be counted the same. You have great, good, and some very bad.

Hedrush

This is also the main reason why I got rid of my credit card info from the SEN webpage.
I implore everyone who hasn't, to do the same thing.

Even though this isn't a credit card fraud this is very good advice which I have never taken. I've had my credit card details on record since 2007 and ive never been hacked, even after the big hack from a few years ago I just left them there. Completely stupid I know. I might aswell do it now, it only takes a minute to re-enter them again. And everyone else with their cc details stored with Sony should remove them also, just incase.

navy

Banned
He can keep calling, but it probably won't help any. Sony has taken a hard line with this recently. Last year you probably could have called a million times and they would have obliged.

People have already mentioned this, but it's worth repeating that the system has been abused.
I've found that customer service members can be quite helpful with the right one found. Regardless of "rules". It's better than waiting 6 months....
Well if the support rep told him it was a console he had made purchases on in the past...

Also he did say he account shared between the 2 consoles in his house or 2 consoles he owns. Or that he "buys 1 digital" so they both can play online at the same time. Couldn't have been trying to get that 3rd console to play online as well or something?

That's not totally relevant. He wants his system activated. Grandma's console being the one activated wont help him even if it is true.

Hedrush

Im not doubting your troubles. But, I had issues here and there and found Sony Customer Support to be helpful. Cant say that for every time I had to call. Not all support persons should be counted the same. You have great, good, and some very bad.

I'm in the UK and have also found Sony CS to be very helpful the handful of times I've had to phone them.

DeviantBoi

If you or anyone in your family haven't gameshared, you might want to consider checking your computer for malware.

If your PSN password is the same as a login at another website, there's also the possibility that they have been hacked in the past and so they have an email/password combo that they try at other places.

You seem to really dislike the OP and it feels like you're fishing for a "gotcha!" I'm not sure what part of his story really warrants dismantling, especially considering that Sony CS is antagonistic enough on its own.

He's a CS rep himself so he's clearly siding with them for reasons I can barely understand.

He claims he sounds "entitled" because Sony's chicken shit security systems allowed this to happen. Yeah ok buddy.

His amazing suggestions include "going outside" and some cringe-worthy "you have your health attitude". Frankly he sounds just like a rep from a D-tier customer service company. I guess that's why he's spending all his effort antagonizing the wronged customer.

Iorv3th

That's not totally relevant. He wants his system activated. Grandma's console being the one activated wont help him even if it is true.

Yes it will, because then he can deactivate that one and can activate one of the others if he chooses. As he should have access to that console.

Hedrush

Guys, be a good idea to stop all the name calling and get back to the issue at hand. A guys lost access to all his shit and needs help getting it back. It would be really daft to get a ban for calling someone a bitch or a 12 year old.

OP have you checked the possibility that's its grandma's PS4 who's logged into your account? That sounds like a very reasonable explanation. Maybe your kid wanted something that was on your account and not on his and he's logged into your account and downloaded it. Then when he discovers it needs the primary system to play he's deactivated your ps4 so he could play it on his own console.

Edit2: last night we ascertained that individual consoles cannot be deactivated via the Sony entertainment website but yiu can "deactivate all" so if your kid wanted to play whatever it was he downloaded he would need to go online and deactivate everything. Does that make sense?

MrFatCat

Banned
senor_flojo language is bad but he is not without merit.

You need to provide us some picture, serial, or call transcripts for us in order to help or give advice. So far all you have done is talk and nothing else. I really want to help but you gotta give me something solid.

And as far as you know, "hacker" don't hack into your account to download free games, like someone said

I think op is a bitch and there's a simpler explanation. This isn't some random hack job, because the evidence doesn't line up.

And calling shit out as I see it does make me an asshole. At least I own it.

Completely uncalled for. The OP is a "bitch" because there is a simpler explanation? I think there are better ways to get your point across and not insult people.

On topic, I hope I never have to deal with Sony's customer service. The horror stories on Gaf and Reddit are more than enough to convince me. Hope you get everything worked out OP.

He's a CS rep himself so he's clearly siding with them for reasons I can barely understand.

He claims he sounds "entitled" because Sony's chicken shit security systems allowed this to happen. Yeah ok buddy.

His amazing suggestions include "going outside" and some cringe-worthy "you have your health attitude". Frankly he sounds just like a rep from a D-tier customer service company. I guess that's why he's spending all his effort antagonizing the wronged customer.

I used to do cs, not that it would make a difference here. I don't work for sony, and I'm not defending them whatsoever.

what I am getting on op's ass for is because every post he makes is "well, I bought this, this, and that." and it's not just a little bit. re-read the thread. guy's a jerk, and I'm not sorry for calling him out on it, even if it makes me look like a jerk. I'm totally fine with that, because guess what? I can be a jerk, but I'm a fair jerk.

all I'm bringing attention to is that spending money does not make you more important. buying twelve 80" 4k flatscreens, fifteen ps4's, a dozen ps tv's, fifty ps3's, and a million psn games doesn't make you a more important customer than someone who hasn't. frankly, i think op should go back to microsoft, because it would appear their capitalistic ideologies are more aligned.

that sort of mentality is something I find appalling, and yes, perhaps that is a byproduct of my 15 years in cs. maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it because it has no bearing here.

do I like to game? sure, otherwise I wouldn't be here. but the way you guys are blowing this out of proportion, it's like you guys are nuts. conspiracy theories and all, acting like the support doesn't want to help for no other reason than to get their rocks off and laugh on the way to the bank? get real. people scam the system all the time, and its pretty hard to tell legit from otherwise. and even then, we don't know how much op says is true. not that I'm calling him a liar, but that's the world we live in today.

then again, I don't get myself into problems because of password mismanagement, and then go to the internet asking strangers for help while humblebragging about my personal belongings.

mortis316uk

Neo Member
No it's a UK PSN account going by the users posts and a tiny bit of reading on here, reddit or rllmuk will show that the UK PSN support CS is nothing short of atrocious.

Aces&Eights

In my experience, you cannot just try to move mountains with your initial contact at a customer support center. They have scripts they read when asked questions and really have no flexibility in going outside the box. If you can get a lead, manager or supervisor, that can make things easier. Also, writing a letter (professional looking) and CC the BBB that can also yield results.

That said, there are some instances where they will simply not help:

If they show you have ever downloaded games to a console that is not your current one and is on a different IP and are now saying that said console was activated as your primary, they are simply going to think you were game sharing and probably not do anything to change it back.

If you have foreign PSN accounts activated on your console that you have created to obtain games in other regions, they probably won't help you.

I know it is easy to create dummy accounts (I made one in bangladesh for the KZ 3 demo even though I live in the states) and it is even easier to let friends use your accounts for game sharing but when they look into something like this and see this type of activity, the credibility really drops for you. I'm not saying it's fair, but it's how it is.

No it's a UK PSN account going by the users posts and a tiny bit of reading on here, reddit or rllmuk will show that the UK PSN support CS is nothing short of atrocious.

Yeah, I find PSN support across the board is fairly lacking, but MVPs have been able to get a bit of traction on these types of issues in the past. It's typically limited to SCEA though.

Totbjorn

Neo Member
There are many threads like this here, on reddit and other places so at the very least this is very bad PR for Sony.
Even if you believe that all of this is just due to people being careless with their PSN accounts or passwords, which I really doubt,they are still the only one of the major services that don't have two factor authentication.

Has there been any official response from Sony on this, something indicating that they are working on improving security?

geordiemp

Guys, be a good idea to stop all the name calling and get back to the issue at hand. A guys lost access to all his shit and needs help getting it back. It would be really daft to get a ban for calling someone a bitch or a 12 year old.

OP have you checked the possibility that's its grandma's PS4 who's logged into your account? That sounds like a very reasonable explanation. Maybe your kid wanted something that was on your account and not on his and he's logged into your account and downloaded it. Then when he discovers it needs the primary system to play he's deactivated your ps4 so he could play it on his own console.

Edit2: last night we ascertained that individual consoles cannot be deactivated via the Sony entertainment website but yiu can "deactivate all" so if your kid wanted to play whatever it was he downloaded he would need to go online and deactivate everything. Does that make sense?

I buy all his games, and he has his own PSN account, so no but I double checked and he only has his account at Grandmas Ps4. We have been through all possibilities. The only way to deactivate 4 consoles immediately (2 Ps3 as well) is through PSN web site and a 1 click button (LOL). The Ps3's are not even connected anyone and they were deleted....thats definitely through PsN.

Its a clear and unfortunately common hack used by scum to get free digital games, and 'some' at Sony dont seem to be that smart.

Top Bottom