• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

eshwaaz

Retail. Got the day1 patch, yet the input lag is visible disturbing. Also doasn't look like any pro enhancements are in effect. Maybe another patch tomorrow or today. So far its a pain.
So the PS4 input lag isn't fixed? Shit shit shit.

Daft_Cat

Nope. You gonna have to wait few days after release for reviews

Any early story impressions? Immersive sims like Deus Ex, Bioshock, and Dishonored, appeal to me mostly for their narratives/world-building.

That's why the lack of reviews coverage is a bit of an annoyance for me. I'm sure the game plays fine. It's the rest of the stuff I really care about - subjective though impressions inevitably tend to be.

So the PS4 input lag isn't fixed? Shit shit shit.

Bethesda lied and fucked up playstation version of the game ?

mshckd.gif

nOoblet16

First, you're comparing CGI to in-game. Second, how does the CGI Morgan not look Asian? His name is M. Yu right there in the CGI reveal trailer, so it's not like he was some other ethnicity back then.
prey_cgi_reveal_trailer_morgan_yu_by_digi_matrix-db82kru.png

He looks like this in the CGI trailer, looks pretty Asian.

prey_cgi_reveal_trailer_morgan_yu_by_digi_matrix-db82kfv.png

Third, just a month after the E3 reveal, Raphael says you can play as a male or female Morgan. That's why they picked a gender-neutral name like Morgan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VeMnngn2UM#t=1m13s

You'll notice in the demo, there are plenty of female references such as a purse, dialogue, and other gendered things, so it would be quite an intensely quick "change" if they had only planned for a male Morgan from the beginning. If they wanted just a male protagonist from the start, they wouldn't have picked a gender neutral name and gone for something more male-centric. Pretty sure they had a female Morgan planned from the very beginning, or that's one heck of a change.
Firsty, I was replying to the phrase "he looks exactly the same"..he doesn't.
It being CGI has no relevance, games are graphically advanced enough today for characters to look the same in CGI and gameplay. Additional details won't change facial features if it does then that's on the artists fucking things up.

It also does not matter whether his name is Yu or whatever, you will find non asian looking people with asian surname. It's not out of the ordinary. Infact when Prey was first revealed I did give it a thought and said to myself his name is Yu but he doesn't really look asian.

My entire point was that he did not look asian originally but now looks completely asian.

Tomeru

Bethesda lied and fucked up playstation version of the game ?

Maybe it's my tv (though I doubt it, everything else is ok). I'd wait for someone else to play it - I'd hate for some of you to pass on something you waited for because maybe the issue is on my end.

I think I was already spoiled by someones guess in the demo thread. Still I am pumped and have it preloaded. Bring on Bioshock 3! (System shock 3?)

jimboton

Benedict Wong is actually voicing Alex Yu, Morgan's brother

There's a device called the Psychoscope that allow you to scan the Typhon aliens and learn their powers. The phrase you quoted basically says the Psychoscope was intentionally designed to feel restrictive so players don't overly rely on them.

The comparison to Arkham Asylum is what I found strange, even if it is 'intentionally restrictive'. I don't like detective vision systems whether you can just put it on all the time or have to use it sparingly. But if scanning the aliens is all it does it's ok (guess it can reveal camouflaged aliens hence the restrictions).

TVexperto

Yeah I wont pre-order this and wait for a deep sale. Just because they tried to trademark the word "prey" and wouldnt let small indie devs use it for a different game...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do these ever make any difference? I wonder if its even worth it to install.

I think Infinite Warfare was the last time I was compelled to update. The graphical corruption I was experiencing went away when I installed the game-ready drivers.

Retail. Got the day1 patch, yet the input lag is visible disturbing. Also doasn't look like any pro enhancements are in effect. Maybe another patch tomorrow or today. So far its a pain.

Sounds shitty right now but I'll wait for the release to see if another/new patch hits along with it. I've been burnt too many times to believe any 'don't worry will be fixed' promises, but it seemed like they had the combat music issues under control in the last streams, so I had assumed they're on the ball about this stuff.

Let's wait and see I suppose.

EDIT: By the way, Base PS4 is my only option, no PC/XB1, so don't fuck it up after making me do a massive 180 on this already guys.

I think Infinite Warfare was the last time I was compelled to update. The graphical corruption I was experiencing went away when I installed the game-ready drivers.

I think the only one I ever downloaded was Mass Effect but it was nothing special on my 1070 (laptop). I think I will try Prey first without the driver and only update if I run into some issues.

B00TE

Eager to see how this is, hope the whole game pans out well. Will be lurking in the PC performance thread once that's a thing.

Just finished reading through the OT I so hope they release that survival DLC.

God weapon degradation and damage states sounds so fucking radical.

EDIT: my unlock timer puts the unlock at 5pm? whoa that would be great.

EDIT2: Nevermind bad math. 9pm it is.

noomi

Alright, pass on ps4 then, no going to deal with input lag... unless they are quick to fix it.

Don't fail me PC version, I want to play this but not with a slew of technical problems.

Sande

Thread title works on so many levels. I love it.

After initially being really disappointed by the demo, I still ended up pre-ordering. The more I played it the less the mimics, graphics, controls and other stuff I was initially sour on bothered me, and the more I loved the setting, story, level design, the way side quests work and so on.

Edit: Oh shit, input lag is still there after they swore up and down that it'd get patched before release?

Mifec

I think the only one I ever downloaded was Mass Effect but it was nothing special on my 1070 (laptop). I think I will try Prey first without the driver and only update if I run into some issues.

I always update and only downgrade if the update has issues.

The review is only useful if the reviewer know's what he/she is talking about. You have to trust him/her blindly.

I'm not doing this anymore.
It's not a matter of trust. It's a matter of eloquence. It doesnt matter that a reviewer is a genre veteran or someone playing a genre for the first time or whether you agree with them or not, if they can present their opinion in a well-written reasonable manner

Reviews do something no quick look or youtube clip can do, offer a retrospective impression of a game

It's not a matter of trust. It's a matter of eloquence. It doesnt matter that reviewer is a genre veteran or someone playing a genre for the first time or whether you agree with them or not, if they can present their opinion in a well-written reasonable manner

Reviews do something no quick look or youtube clip can do, offer a retrospective impression of a game

This is true but I can't say their opinion is right or false unless I'm playing the game or watching (youtube) videos to compare it.
You know, you can agree with someone but what if the opinion you agree with is false? What if the review(er) is just wrong?

This happened so many times (to me). That's why I only read reviews for entertainment^^

edit: Of course input lag has to be fixed. I didn't bother me in the demo but I know I'm in the minority. Hoping for a day1 patch.

beeswax

You can use an Amazon S3 instance as a VPN (it's free for the first 12 months, but requires a debit/credit card).

Here's a guide.

Thanks for the link, got an AWS Australian VPN working fine, says 1 hour until unlock. I recall there's something lame about Steam's hour rounding - does that mean unlock is 15:00GMT or 16:00?

Instro

Have it preordered on cdkeys. I'm expecting a bit of hank, but there is so much about this game that is immediately appealing to me, so I've been on board for a while. Hope it's good, and in turn that it does well.

Mifec

Thanks for the link, got an AWS Australian VPN working fine, says 1 hour until unlock. I recall there's something lame about Steam's hour rounding - does that mean unlock is 15:00GMT or 16:00?

An hour and 17 minutes from now. Yeah after 1 hour remaining it goes into unlocking soon which lasts another hour.
Have it preordered on cdkeys. I'm expecting a bit of hank, but there is so much about this game that is immediately appealing to me, so I've been on board for a while. Hope it's good, and in turn that it does well.

You already got the keys btw. Check your purchase email for the "download" link.

In case you didn't know.

This is true but I can't say their opinion is right or false unless I'm playing the game or watching (youtube) videos to compare it.
You know, you can agree with someone but what if the opinion you agree with is false? What if the review(er) is just wrong?

This happened so many times (to me). That's why I only read them for entertainment^^
If a reviewer hates something and you absolutely love it, the reviewer isn't wrong or false.

And a review isn't trying to prove to you that they are right or wrong. A review is an argument; it's merely explaining to you why the person felt the way they did about something. You can agree or disagree, but if it's explained well, it's a valid reason. Even if it's not well-explained, it's still valid, but it's a weak argument

I'm one of the lucky ones. I didn't mind the lag much or really notice it. I guess I just adjusted to it. But hopefully they will be have it fixed. It'd be a shame for people to miss this game over something that should be fixable.

ltr

Neo Member

It's rounded up, so "1 hour" means between 1:00 and 1:59hrs. I think it will say "approximately less than an hour" or similar when it's between 0min and 59mins.

Shari

Silly question, how does Karak know what's going later on the game if there are no review copies? Did he get it retail waaay before time?

Just curiosity, ACG is my go-to outlet for reviews so if he's hyping, I'm hyped.

Can't wait to get home a VPN the shit out of steam to....wait 30 min until it unpacks.

Anung

Un Rama
That's good, that's really fucking good. You also are my favorite lovecraft poster. NEAT.

Aww schucks man thanks *blushes* :D

I'm waiting on my dispatch from Amazon now. It's prime so it should be here tomorrow. If I went with SG I could have been playing this yesterday but Amazon was really damn cheap.

If a reviewer hates something and you absolutely love it, the reviewer isn't wrong or false.

And a review isn't trying to prove to you that they are right or wrong. A review is an argument; it's merely explaining to you why the person felt the way they did about something. You can agree or disagree, but if it's explained well, it's a valid reason. Even if it's not well-explained, it's still valid, but it's a weak argument

hmm.. I think I can agree with you :p
This discussion is confusing, need some coffee now ^^

When do we get first impressions of the full game? 2 hours?

ymgve

I've had luck with using USAIP as VPN. Cheaper when I only need a single day/week, uses the builtin Windows VPN support - you don't need to download and install a separate VPN client, and you can pay with Paypal.

Mine is showing up today and no way will I open it until this is confirmed to be fixed.

Aww schucks man thanks *blushes* :D

I'm waiting on my dispatch from Amazon now. It's prime so it should be here tomorrow. If I went with SG I could have been playing this yesterday but Amazon was really damn cheap.

I got the CDKeys deal, and no problem man credit where credit is due. <3 Very few people understand cosmic horror and as a writer of cosmic horror it makes me super happy.

I'm probably the biggest Lovecraft fanboy in the universe this side of Abhoth and Azathoth.

Banned
This is an excellent subtitle. I really love the premise of this game. Likely won't play it till June or July though based off my backlog.

Instro

An hour and 17 minutes from now. Yeah after 1 hour remaining it goes into unlocking soon which lasts another hour.

You already got the keys btw. Check your purchase email for the "download" link.

In case you didn't know.

Ah hadn't bothered to check yet. Good to know.

Mifec

I got the CDKeys deal, and no problem man credit where credit is due. <3 Very few people understand cosmic horror and as a writer of cosmic horror it makes me super happy.

I'm probably the biggest Lovecraft fanboy in the universe this side of Abhoth and Azathoth.

The worst part fo me is how most games and writers give big importance to Cthulhu when it was just a big monster originally and literally trash compared to actual Great Old Ones.

Top Bottom