• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

did Nintendo address pretty much every complaint/expectation in Nintendo Direct?

zoukka

Because it's almost like they granted every wish GAF had and spoke to gamers quite honestly.

Also megatons in the form of SMT x Fire Emblem, HD Wind Waker and "Xenoblade HD".

DaBoss

Yes they did.
1VWTK12.gif

Taurus

I was waiting to hear something about Retro Studios's project, but I'll guess they'll show it at E3. Afaik, they were ready to show it at last E3, but withdraw it at the last moment...

But overall, so much awesomeness in this ND!

There was a lot of cool stuff, but it was all very "that's a ways off", "I can't talk about that in detail right now", and "please understand" which doesn't really help in the immediate future.

Sendou

They indeed did. I guess they're also expecting some next-gen talks soon with a revealing of line-up like this.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Nope.

- Still no eShop on the Web which they announced in October 2011.
- Miiverse access on smartphones but no sign on 3DS.

Plus it is becoming increasingly obvious that Nintendo are struggling with HD development. Especially when it comes to juggling Wii U with support for the 3DS.

Also: Everything is still so far away. Two system updates to fix the slow OS over the course of SIX MONTHS?! Get outta here.

Sowee

Banned
They even talked about the system update regarding the slow-loading issues! This was a very good Nintendo Direct.

cacildo

20 minutes of pure snore followed by 10 minutes of tears in my eyes

1VWTK12.gif

It was just too much and the "X" music still in my head

Too much time on Miiverse, long waits for important system updates, no Retro mention, no specific release dates for the Q2 first-party lineup, and the Japanese third-party support still looks quite troubling even with Revelations HD and SMTxFE (Western third-party support is already a lost cause).

But overall, they did a pretty good job.

Haunted

Confirmation that most of their major franchises are in development (new EAD Tokyo 1 Mario, new Mario Kart, new Zelda)

Wind Waker HD

Yoshi's Epic Yarn

Persona x Fire Emblem

Xenoblade 2

Nothing truly mindblowing, but solid. Most of this seems 2014+ stuff, but you know. These things take time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think the major concern about Wii U is its position wrt third party support which the broadcast purposefully avoided - unless we're now passed all hope for that wrt Wii U.

As far as Nintendo published projects go it was a timely, if occasionally vague reminder that there's stuff worth paying attention to coming down the pipe. The new Zelda looks great IMO. And though I'd loved to have seen it today, it's good to know there's new 3D Mario to be shown soon enough.

But wrt third party support I was actually slightly discouraged by one of his comments - that with way development is today, they would have to team up with other developers to bring a steady supply of games. That reminded me of how they went into massive collaboration mode during the GameCube era, to try to counter the relative lack of other third party support.

zoukka

There was a lot of cool stuff, but it was all very "that's a ways off", "I can't talk about that in detail right now", and "please understand" which doesn't really help in the immediate future.

True, but it's not like they can somehow speed up the development of huge titles like Zelda, Smash and so on. To still apologise about it and show some alternative goodness about those franchises tells me they really have been listening to fans around the world.

I hope it's a new general strategy for them. I had zero interest in Wii U beyond NSMBU, but after this direct my faith has been restored quite a bit.

sinxtanx

They acknowledged the problems with the platform and proposed solutions to them.

Better than most companies out there

ALSO WIND WAKED HD WILUHASKJHASLUJGYAWJKALSLSGJLAWGLJHALHSG

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think the first party software lineup is strong and fairly well focused to recapture or build a strong audience.

But I don't think the first party software lineup was ever a serious worry with Wii U to begin with.

Somnid

I don't think it'll address certain complaints because the complaints had a lot to do with the complainer. But it gave a good overview of the rest of the year so for those people who apparently thought Nintendo wasn't developing anything beyond the launch window can shut up.

Ryoku

Everyone halfway through the stream: Meh, bring on the games, Iwata.

Iwata: Let's talk about games, but before that...

Everyone: Ugh D:

Iwata: 2 more games

Everyone: Hoooly shit!

Iwata: Here's another one

Everyone: FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

EVOL 100%

I dunno man, but I know I'm going to have to buy a Wii U now because they announced three games that I'd very very happily fork my money over for.

That and the acknowledgement of a new 3D Mario, Mario Kart and SSB being showed at E3.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
A solid and lets be honest, fairly expected Nintendo first party line up to pick up in like 2014 when the console has hit multiple price slashes.

Looking forward to it, maybe the WiiU will be £99 in the UK like the Gamecube was when I enjoyed that systems best games one after the other.

I think the major concern about Wii U is its position wrt third party support which the broadcast purposefully avoided - unless we're now passed all hope for that wrt Wii U.

As far as Nintendo published projects go it was a timely, if occasionally vague reminder that there's stuff worth paying attention to coming down the pipe. The new Zelda looks great IMO. And though I'd loved to have seen it today, it's good to know there's new 3D Mario to be shown soon enough.

But wrt third party support I was actually slightly discouraged by one of his comments - that with way development is today, they would have to team up with other developers to bring a steady supply of games. That reminded me of how they went into massive collaboration mode during the GameCube era, to try to counter the relative lack of other third party support.

At the end of the broadcast, Iwata more or less confirmed 3DS and Wii U third-party support as topics for future Nintendo Directs.

But regarding the latter, it's hard to be anything but pessimistic at this point. We'll see, I suppose.

Nope.

- Still no eShop on the Web which they announced in October 2011.
- Miiverse access on smartphones but no sign on 3DS.

Plus it is becoming increasingly obvious that Nintendo are struggling with HD development. Especially when it comes to juggling Wii U with support for the 3DS.

Also: Everything is still so far away. Two system updates to fix the slow OS over the course of SIX MONTHS?! Get outta here.

How long did it take? People complain that Nintendo only announces games in a short window, then they announce games that won't arrive for some time and people still complain.

I'm not disagreeing that some of this should have been ready sooner, just find it funny that some complain if they don't announce title's early enough and then others complain if they do :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I lost it at SMT x Fire Emblem.
I lost it again at WW HD
I almost couldn't control myself at X.

Who needs E3. This was like three E3 combined. WHAT THE FUCK

Sakura

I wasn't expecting them to actually address the slow OS, so I'm rather happy that they will be attempting to fix it soon. Windwaker HD is pretty cool, as it is my favourite Zelda. But other than that, it was essentially just about games that could be years away for all we know, which doesn't help the lack of a strong line-up that exists this year.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but everything is very Japan-centric. There's nothing there that really widens the appeal outside of casuals, Nintendo superfans and otaku.

jerd

The best part was that it seems like there is still a ton to show at E3. Bayo 2, Mario, Mario Kart, Retro's game, Gameplay of the other stuff they just teased.

yes and no...
They know what fans want, but all is in distant future and meanwhile the lack of third party support is still here...
But W101 looks incredible, I am not a yoshi's fan but this one will be pretty, i am such a moron that i will buy Wind Waker HD, Monolith soft, haaaa Monolith soft....

DaBuddaDa

I think the first party software lineup is strong and fairly well focused to recapture or build a strong audience.

But I don't think the first party software lineup was ever a serious worry with Wii U to begin with.

I echo this feeling. A lot of what was announced today was predicable, but it does feel good to have it all confirmed. Mario Kart Wii U? Of course. New Zelda? Of course. New Smash? Of course. Monolith's next game? Of course.

Gotta admit though, SMT x Fire Emblem caught me by surprise.

Top Bottom