• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
CVG now reports on the leak. Article goes on to mention the olde devkit problem rumour.

Sigh. Gaming journalism.

Cramoss

Why would anyone not want to pick up a Wii U because it has sticks instead of circle pads? That's crazy talk.

Also, what I want in the Wii U online service: Xbox Live. I'm sure Nintendo could adapt and update a few things, but seriously, just copy MS on this one. XBL has everything down pat in my book.

Fh3ro.gif

BD1

Banned
This is how I want online to be ><

Okay, I'll be more clear.

The 3DS has
1) A system based friendcode

I wonder if we'll see A) account based Nintendo before Wii U and B) if they will somehow retrofit 3DS users to account-based system and C) if Wii U and 3DS accounts will be synchronized.

Iwata's comments seem to indicate they want to transition to account based across all their platforms (and even mobile apps), but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Without any real technical knowledge, I'm guessing that they will somehow tie your hardware based 3DS friend code to your Nintendo account, then wipe the FC once the appropriate information is transferred.

Truth101

Banned
I wonder if we'll see A) account based Nintendo before Wii U and B) if they will somehow retrofit 3DS users to account-based system and C) if Wii U and 3DS accounts will be synchronized.

Iwata's comments seem to indicate they want to transition to account based across all their platforms (and even mobile apps), but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Without any real technical knowledge, I'm guessing that they will somehow tie your hardware based 3DS friend code to your Nintendo account, then wipe the FC once the appropriate information is transferred.

I imagine that the hardware FC would be linked to your Mii and then you would be opted to create an account.

BurntPork

Banned
CVG now reports on the leak. Article goes on to mention the olde devkit problem rumour.

Sigh. Gaming journalism.

That definitely sounds like CVG.

A report last September claimed that Nintendo had rushed the final Wii U architecture through the door "with undesirable consequences" including "inadequate streaming and wireless functionality". Insiders have claimed the Nintendo is facing "development hell" with the Wii U as the controllers supplied to developers "still don't work properly."

The tipsters mentioned issues with console's ability to stream wirelessly to the tablet and new evidence last month indicated that the Wii U tablet controller might be struggling to live up to its original billing as a fully wireless peripheral. Either way we'll find out more at E3 in June, when Nintendo will be showing it off again.

Also, what I want in the Wii U online service: Xbox Live. I'm sure Nintendo could adapt and update a few things, but seriously, just copy MS on this one. XBL has everything down pat in my book.

It's not that easy to copy XBL, that kind of infrastructure/service/support and is built up over time, man hours and lots and lots of cash. If it was that easy Sony would have copied it years ago, think about it. :p

Izick

It's not that easy to copy XBL, that kind of infrastructure/service/support and is built up over time, man hours and lots and lots of cash. If it was that easy Sony would have copied it years ago, think about it. :p

Touche, but I just mean the basic meat and potatoes concepts.

-gamertags
-friends lists that are easy to navigate
-dash that can be brought up in-game
-easy invite system
-easy group chat
-little profiles (picture, real name, bio, motto)
-list friends' games played (kind of like when you compare achievements)

I'm excited because MS did all this with X amount of RAM allotted to it, and then I keep hearing Nintendo is going to have a lot more dedicated to the OS, so the possibilities are limitless. (Sorry I don't know real numbers, I have a shitty memory.)

I still want my notification light to notify me when I have game invites/messages while my system is powered down.

Or somebody else is lying.

EDIT: Wait, is that another anonymous sources vs known devs joke again?

I'm willing to bet its CVG that is doing the dirty this time.

Linkhero1

Well if Nintendo was going to do online themselves then I would generally have to agree, but since they're working with outside sources for their online infrastructure and are listening to third parties, then I can see it happening.

Here's a good post by bg that gives us some insight on what we can expect from the Wii U's online service. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29416808&postcount=2659

Touche, but I just mean the basic meat and potatoes concepts.

-gamertags
-friends lists that are easy to navigate
-dash that can be brought up in-game
-easy invite system
-easy group chat
-little profiles (picture, real name, bio, motto)
-list friends' games played (kind of like when you compare achievements)

I'm excited because MS did all this with X amount of RAM allotted to it, and then I keep hearing Nintendo is going to have a lot more dedicated to the OS, so the possibilities are limitless. (Sorry I don't know real numbers, I have a shitty memory.)

Throw full integration of FB/YT and maybe a cool DVR function and we'll be in business.

But I also think Nintendo needs to get right another thing Sony forgot about, which is they need that online MP killer app Day 1. If they can snag that one or two games that light the gaming world on fire which take full advantage of Nintendo's online they'll be on a great path for the service. I nominate one of those games as Smash HD Trilogy Online, also a exclusive online Indie title. Between those and the next CoD, they should do just fine during the launch window.

Sony was also "the king of the world" and prioritized other things over online.

Yeah. Didn't work out too well for them in the end prioritizing expensive idiosyncratic hardware, pretty games and the "me too code" over a equally competitive online service. But to be fair MS had a gen head start, and no matter how Sony prioritized they were never going to beat XBL feature-for-feature or overall. I'm actually quite impressed how far they've brought PSN up to speed, minus the momentary security holes.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
GAF when it had sliders: "Stupid Nintendo, choosing aesthetics over function..."

GAF now: "TOO MUCH SPACE THIS IS UGLY"
Most of the people complaining about the old design were never going to be satisfied by the new design. But for many who had genuine concerns, this redesign doesn't really address many of those. For those who thought it was too bulky (and bulkiness is both an aesthetics and function concern) , the new one is now longer and thicker. And those who didn't like the stick placement, will there technically in the same spot relative to where your thumbs would be, while the buttons stayed relative to the screen.

Personally, I find this current design to be a bastard child of the two. The aesthetics remnant of old design make no sense in this new design. Functionally, I'd rather they just put a screen on a Wavebird... Aesthetically, I think they should be slimming it down and make the screen more prominent. I see this new design losing more casual appeal than it is gaining core appeal.

Izick

Throw full integration of FB/YT and maybe a cool DVR function and we'll be in business.

But I also think Nintendo needs to get right another thing Sony forgot about, which is they need that online MP killer app Day 1. If they can snag thatone or two games that light the gaming world on fire which take full advantage of Nintendo's online they'll be on a great path for the service. I nominate one of those games as Smash HD Trilogy Online, also a exclusive online Indie title. Between those and the next CoD, they should do just fine during the launch window.

A nice touch-based web browser would be great.

I agree for on a killer app, but it's never usually necessarily for launch though. 360 really didn't have anything that I can remember up until Gears came out. It would be nice though.

Also...no lag. Period. I don't give a damn what I'm doing. I can be in the middle of an Up Smash in a four player Smash Bros session, and if I accidentally hit that home button, that shit better fly up at blistering speed.

Just thought I'd attempt cleaning up the new controller design.

I thought about how the prototype DS had the black going down the system, and thought it might break up the white making the system not look so wide.

I like the grips a lot, so I kept those like they are. There's a touch power button, but that could be an actual button, I don't really care.

Actually, I just thought about it, I kept only one of the mysterious squares. Just imagine that the other one is on there somewhere. It really isn't important for this concept anyway. lol

Here's an animation of how the screen is positioned in the frame.

ucontrolleranimation.gif

AGITΩ

I hope the online is stable enough to support Video Conferencing on the uPad with your friends you're playing against. Similar to Starfox 64DS, but Actually online.

Izick

Also...no lag. Period. I don't give a damn what I'm doing. I can be in the middle of an Up Smash in a four player Smash Bros session, and if I accidentally hit that home button, that shit better fly up at blistering speed.

Try and keep that motto for the whole UI. The 360 is usually good about that stuff, but there are still definitely weird quirks here and there that just bug the shit of you.

A comfortable break apart controller and screen(with stand) would be the most ideal. Good stuff,
Why? What would just a touch screen serve? I'd rather it just be a solid piece.

Thats why I said the circle pads are bundled.
Core games, serious gamers would be willing to buy the sticks, would be willing to buy a second controller.

If third partys got them to go with sticks, I would think they would be the ones in the box if they are serious about getting core gamers.

Could you imagine the bitching from core gamers if they had to buy separately fairly expensive controllers???

In my mind, sticks have an advantage over circle pads and not vice versa.

I don't mind pads though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom