• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Thanks Ubisoft, for thinking of the players. You just made a purchasing decision easier! I'll continue to save my money by not buying any always online games.

This is so dumb. Now I'm more worried about the game's commercial reception and post launch support because devs choose to do stupid stuff like this with their games.

Do they not understand that those who would only want to play the single player may one day want to join the multiplayer as well? Adding restrictions lowers the amount of people who will deal with the online crap and consequentially the amount of people who will go into the part of the game they want everyone in, the multiplayer.

Haha, ok Ubisoft. I was on the fence about this one, but now it's a pretty easy decision to avoid.

Exactly this. I was already on the fence but now ubi just pushed me off.

Like let's say I go to a relative's house out in the country and they don't have internet.... I can't play my shit? Fuck outta here Ubisoft

Burt

Yeah, I loved the alpha, but I just don't get the rationale behind this. I guess it's to keep people from figuring out a way.to cheat for xp offline and bring it online? You would think they'd have a more pr friendly way of doing that

I guess I'll try and respond to people who are dumbfounded at the fact that people are willing to drop For Honor over this news. I mean, it's been said on almost every page, explained various ways, but for whatever reason, it's not getting through. So lemme try.

First things first, finding out through a community manager is fucking dumb. Ubisoft should have released an official statement on this or spouted some PR in a letter, not gamers finding out because a dude on a forum asked about it. That's crazy, but only because this game was touted to have an offline campaign.

Like, we get it, things get cut, added, changed, whatever. But letting the consumer know is far better than having them suss it out like this.

On the topic of the campaign, Ubisoft was touting a fully fledged one. It's a multiplayer game, but with an actual sizeable single player mode attached (their words). So people can cut it out with that "ohh but it's a multiplayer game". Not even their words.

Not like a singleplayer campaign is a bad thing anyway. That's more sales for them if a person would pick it up for the campaign only. Maybe they enjoy the combat but don't want to play with others. People like me might trickle in and start messing around with the multi, finding out they might like it.

Server problems can happen at any time, and then the game becomes a coaster until shit is fixed. Ubisoft's track record isn't the greatest, and that's not including PSN/XBLA outages and people who don't have decent internet. There are far more of those people than you think.

For anti-cheat stuff, many games have done so for years without resorting to always online. For Honor isn't some special flower.

So, basically, it rubs people the wrong way. And that's fine. People have dropped games for much, much less, and much, much more. That's their right as a consumer, and nobody should tell them so long as the information isn't wrong.

Gamers aren't entitled because they aren't buying a product that doesn't serve them properly. That's hilariously silly. We are the consumer. We choose. And there's nothing wrong with making that choice. Even if some ex-Ubisoft guy wants to come up and play PR for them, the consumer isn't wrong in making a decision on this.

If it doesn't affect you, cool. Play on. But at least people are giving reasons. No need to get angry or despise them for choosing not to play.
Well said.

Yeah, I loved the alpha, but I just don't get the rationale behind this. I guess it's to keep people from figuring out a way.to cheat for xp offline and bring it online? You would think they'd have a more pr friendly way of doing that

That shouldn't be difficult to do. Theoretically is just needs to log offline play and check for discrepancies. If you played 5 minutes and gained 5.5 million xp then you probably cheated. Or just don't have progression in sp. Let it serve as a tutorial and let the player use everything.

MilkyJoe

Exactly this. I was already on the fence but now ubi just pushed me off.

Like let's say I go to a relative's house out in the country and they don't have internet.... I can't play my shit? Fuck outta here Ubisoft

I wasn't on the fence, I was day one, now I'm bargain bin, second hand, if at all.

Oh, didn't realise Steep did this too. That had in-game-purchases, does For Honor have those too? I'm guessing a persistent internet connection is required for data gathering and analysis so the developers can further "optimise" the IAP for maximum profits (if you want to be cynical).

prudislav

Oh, didn't realise Steep did this too. That had in-game-purchases, does For Honor have those too? I'm guessing a persistent internet connection is required for data gathering and analysis so the developers can further "optimise" the IAP for maximum profits (if you want to be cynical).
yep thats likely the hidden reason behin it ... aka monitore the players behaviour and "optimise" microtransactions around it

... its a feature...

Sorry that I can't stand in solidarity with you guys, this game looks dope and been wanting it since september. Does anyone know if split screen local multiplayer has been cancelled too? Because I read that split screen co op was shelved

Falchion

A single-player experience, should never, ever require any sort of internet connection. They didn't learn from history...Just unacceptable.

Yeah, I absolutely hate when games do it. It's even worse when they don't allow you to pause because of the always online experience.

atr0cious

Does anyone know if split screen local multiplayer has been cancelled too? Because I read that split screen co op was shelved
Yup, cut as well. They said they needed to focus on getting online co-op working properly. But who knows if that's still in there anymore.

SaiyanRaoh

Enjoy them saying you have to pay another 60 dollars if you want to continue playing the game cause now For Honor 2 is out so they are shutting the servers down for For Honor. Just buy 2 if you want to keep playing.

It's disgenuiius to pretend you think this is about not having internet to play the game. This is about the fact that this is a way for them to control how long you get to play the game. You're not paying for the game, you are payi for the rights to play it as long as they allow you to. And they aren't even going to tell you how long the rental is for either. It's whenever they decide to end it and they'll let you know when that time comes.

Exactly! And I hope this tanks like a certain EA branded Star Wars multiplayer focused piece of shit.

Exactly! And I hope this tanks like a certain EA branded Star Wars multiplayer focused piece of shit.
Didn't Battlefront sell in the realm of 15 million copies? Odd comparison, too, since that game didn't claim to have a campaign (and even the limited offline modes look like more than For Honor will have).

On a similar note, at least Hitman allowed for a limited offline option, versus what is looking like none at all for For Honor.

farisr

Sorry that I can't stand in solidarity with you guys, this game looks dope and been wanting it since september. Does anyone know if split screen local multiplayer has been cancelled too? Because I read that split screen co op was shelved
Splitscreen has been cancelled altogether. When they used the word "co-op" they were talking about all modes rather than just the campaign.

"For Honor fans looking to play with friends will still have the option to play online co-op in the campaign and in all multiplayer modes."

Enjoy them saying you have to pay another 60 dollars if you want to continue playing the game cause now For Honor 2 is out so they are shutting the servers down for For Honor. Just buy 2 if you want to keep playing.

It's disgenuiius to pretend you think this is about not having internet to play the game. This is about the fact that this is a way for them to control how long you get to play the game. You're not paying for the game, you are payi for the rights to play it as long as they allow you to. And they aren't even going to tell you how long the rental is for either. It's whenever they decide to end it and they'll let you know when that time comes.

Quoted for visibility. Far too many clueless and naive people here.

adversarial

Ugh, I'm always online but it's infuriating to hear a single player game requires internet always being on. And it's always about DRM. I don't care what the devs say.

This was initially a multiplayer game that had a single player campaign added on to appease the "I won't buy a $60 multiplayer game" fans, right?

Or did it start out as a single player game and have multiplayer added on?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Quoted for visibility. Far too many clueless and naive people here.
Naive? Why would I stay with the first game when the sequel comes out, moving right quick.
This was initially a multiplayer game that had a single player campaign added on to appease the "I won't buy a $60 multiplayer game" fans, right?

The initial reveal was iirc all mp, sp wasn't shown much later.

Gamezone

Gold Member

It's gone, yes.

Gamezone

Gold Member

They said they invested enough time in the campaign to make it worth full price.

calavera_jo

Neo Member
Games are not made to be consumed 20 years from now they are made to be consumed NOW. Sequels are made to keep the legacy going.

Nah, if there's one thing I learned about people purchasing remasters is that people care about replaying older games they enjoyed.

Hell I'm probably going to replay Max Payne 1 for the 50th time during the holidays

Artdayne

Confirmed: I will buy an additional copy of For Honor to offset everyone in this thread that is no longer buying because of this.

This is plain dumb & unneccesary.
Unless they're doing it for maximum sales and not having to use denuvo thus keeping away pirates. Then few months later just release it as drm-free.

prudislav

I'm mad because they said so many times that the campaign will be offline. Even their website saids so.

not anymore they just updated their page and both uplay/steam storepages

This is plain dumb & unneccesary.
Unless they're doing it for maximum sales and not having to use denuvo thus keeping away pirates. Then few months later just release it as drm-free.
just FYI the Technical Alpha has Denuvo aswell as always-on requiement

not anymore they just updated their page and both uplay/steam storepages

just FYI the Technical Alpha has Denuvo aswell as always-on requiement

234633f5c5ec0b1d3f89b04d9070bf93.png

Well shit, you're right. Ubisoft have stealthily edited the 'about' to remove the word 'offline'. Fucking scumbags.

Well this is shit news to read.

So are they doing this in some kind of gotta-protect-the-integrity-of-the-paid-DLC kind of way? Or do they have a mandate to push an online-requirement wherever possible and are doing it just because they can?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Well this is shit news to read.

So are they doing this in some kind of gotta-protect-the-integrity-of-the-paid-DLC kind of way? Or do they have a mandate to push an online-requirement wherever possible and are doing it just because they can?

They will probably never provide you with any good explanation for this.

They will probably never provide you with any good explanation for this.
Probably right, which is a shame.

My favorite so far is the "single player narrative" excuse for the latest Need for Speed's online requirement. What a dumpster truck full of bullshit.

Top Bottom