• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So calls, web browsing, music playing and tweeting will be a 100 times better?

well I mean shit.. if that's all I was using a phone for I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one... certainly not the money samsung is asking for either.

trixx

would be crazy if that black bar had the ability to blend in with the background of sorts. Like you'd still see the cameras and such but if the page was blank, it could be white as well, to make it immersive.

Either that or just make a strip off the top during portrait;watching videos and stuff. It's the thing that makes the design a bit worse, but it still looks good; I expected more though.

I was thinking Apple would truly be wizards and wow me, but at the moment yes, the S8 looks better. They could've done better, but I guess the timing was off.

thanks for this.. will read it over a bit more. so base tracking seems to be there (pace tracking seems to be fine for me) but garmin has way better customization. apple DOES give you great access to your data, but not a great (or any?) way to export it.

Yeah basically. Pace calculations are ok but baseline in the workout app is lackluster. Your viewable data while running is also limited. My Garmin can switch between three screens showing pace, distance, averages, heart rate, heart rate some - you name it.

Apple does give you a lot of data, but severely limits what you can do with it.

jem0208

Is there a single Android phone that looks nice on the back?
honor-12-920x518.jpg

Fhtagn

I was about to mention Huawei. Their new honor phones are beautiful. I have the honor 8. Front could be better though

Btw that mockup with the status bar being displayed on black background looks way cooler imo

Does it really say “dual lens” on a camera with two visible lenses? Ruins it.

The (black) S8 and S8+ are the best looking phones right now. Absolutely beautiful. I think the best iPhone was the 4 or 4s. It was definitely the most beautiful phone at the time. It's been downhill from there.

jelly

The (black) S8 and S8+ are the best looking phones right now. Absolutely beautiful. I think the best iPhone was the 4 or 4s. It was definitely the most beautiful phone at the time. It's been downhill from there.

5/5S as well being much the same. It's been downhill since iPhone 6.

Does any phone have a nice back except those. They are all pretty standard bad but what can you do really when you need a good camera.

Raonak

Banned
As someone who doesn't care for samsung, yeah, the S8 is definitely a lot nicer looking than the X. That cutout is terribad

the latest Sony (TM) Xperia (R) Android Mobile Handset is indeed the most beautiful of them all, and it has, at least in the USA, out Appled-d Apple by having a fingerprint sensor, but also disabling it in software so that it's just like not having one.

truly the best of both worlds.

5/5S as well being much the same. It's been downhill since iPhone 6.

Does any phone have a nice back except those. They are all pretty standard bad but what can you do really when you need a good camera.

I feel like the elements added in the back (glossy/matte) cheapened the look. The 4, like the S8, felt like it had no filler, every element was essential.

I still get comments on it all these months after launch. It's striking, to be sure. I've never had anyone comment on my phone before I got the S8+.

I've experienced this as well. The only other phone of mine that gathered this much attention was my Lumia 920 which still feels like a timeless classic.

TheDanger

Banned
None of us actually need a new phone, and yet we focus so much of our attention on these products like they actually matter. Most people would be better off removing products from their lives, getting more sleep, and getting more exercise. Not obsessing over which smartphone they want to upgrade to this fall or which movie they're going to go see next or which game they're going to buy next week.

Why are you on GAF? lol

Sinfamy

The problem with the non IOS phones is that their emojis are all hideous. And for that reason alone, apple wins.
The iOS emojis have gradients straight out of the 90s instant messengers, they're objectively the ugliest designed emoji in existence, no cute Japanese touches.
And now Android is switching over to that cancer, I've completely disabled them on my phone. All I see is parentheses and I couldn't be happier.

The iOS emojis have gradients straight out of the 90s instant messengers, they're objectively the ugliest designed emoji in existence, no cute Japanese touches.
And now Android is switching over to that cancer, I've completely disabled them on my phone. All I see is parentheses and I couldn't be happier.

🐩💨

The OP shows a complete lack of understanding in terms of what the X actually has. I think the X looks way better than the S8 or note. And you show the back of the note as if those cameras and fingerprint sensor aren't fugly as fuck.

In terms of innovation apple presented a design that's never been seen or done before with the technology that it has inside of it. It's the perfect blend of the best of everything you can get in smartphone technology all in one device. Not samsung's jack of all trades not quite there and some things are utter garbage hodge page of software/hardware.

Not to say those are bad phones but we're talking different leagues to me. I know it's their marketing slogan but the X really is the future of smartphones. It kinda sucks if you don't like it because all phones are going to copy its tech and look for years to come. Or they'll try to at least.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Damn that iphone X look gorgeous

Feels like its few generations ahead of modern phones

bman94

There's a nice physical response built into the behind-the-screen button on the S8 line.

Does it feel as nice as the S7/S7 Edge's button? I also love the tounch sensitive back and menu buttons on the bezel. I feel like I'm one of the few people that actually likes bezels.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Not to say those are bad phones but we're talking different leagues to me. I know it's their marketing slogan but the X really is the future of smartphones. It kinda sucks if you don't like it because all phones are going to copy its tech and look for years to come. Or they'll try to at least.

Not sure if serious but in the off chance that you are, you mean to tell me that you seriously believe other manufacturers are going to copy that ugly intrusive notch and big bumper car ring encircling the phone? You truly believe this?

Nafai1123

Banned
The OP shows a complete lack of understanding in terms of what the X actually has. I think the X looks way better than the S8 or note. And you show the back of the note as if those cameras and fingerprint sensor aren't fugly as fuck.

In terms of innovation apple presented a design that's never been seen or done before with the technology that it has inside of it. It's the perfect blend of the best of everything you can get in smartphone technology all in one device. Not samsung's jack of all trades not quite there and some things are utter garbage hodge page of software/hardware.

Other than FaceID what innovation is in the X?

Not sure if serious but in the off chance that you are, you mean to tell me that you seriously believe other manufacturers are going to copy that ugly intrusive notch and big bumper car ring encircling the phone? You truly believe this?

yup because until you can fit all those cameras underneath the display they will have no choice.

If they don't copy it I fully believe it's not because they don't want to, but because they can't.

But it's also not completely to copy apple. Less bezel was always going to be the future....so is this a surprise to you?

Not

Banned
I think the camera indent is just there to show they can make the screen any shape now right? It's supposed to be cool.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
yup because until you can fit all those cameras underneath the display they will have no choice.

If they don't copy it I fully believe it's not because they don't want to, but because they can't.

But it's also not completely to copy apple. Less bezel was always going to be the future....so is this a surprise to you?

What in the actual fuck? You think other manufacturers can't put a thick ugly bumper around their phones? The notch has already been done and less intrusively so by the essential phone. I'm willing to bet most manufacturers will NOT put a thick ugly ring around there phone or an ugly intrusive notch. Bet?

S8/Note, G6/V30 and mi mix already have less bezel covered.

Other than FaceID what innovation is in the X?

"other than face ID" is a bit unfair considering how it's accomplished. But to add:

unparalleled design - highest screen to body ratio out there most likely
TrueTone display (through OLED no less)
3D Touch in an OLED
More durable glass (I'm sure it will be tested but apple is usually true to their claims)
Various AR features/functionality (i.e. animoji, deal with it)
Portrait lighting feature
Dual OIS (both cameras! Some flagships don't have it at all like pixel)
A11 is a huge leap forward on its own in mobile computing tech
other camera features like 1080p/240p (don't think this has been done before, might be wrong)
Not only having face ID but the integration with machine learning
Bigger battery fit into almost identical casing as the 7 (need teardown to see it but the L shaped battery must be true)

etc
What in the actual fuck? You think other manufacturers can't put a thick ugly bumper around their phones? The notch has already been done and less intrusively so by the essential phone. I'm willing to bet most manufacturers will NOT put athick ugly ring around there phone or an ugly intrusive notch. Bet?

S8/Note, G6/V30 and mi mix already have less bezel covered.

less intrusive....also lacking 90% of the features, and that bottom bezel, ouch. Not to mention the impressions for the essential have been middling as hell and the X have been extremely positive so far....reviews pending of course.

People can have opinions but I just have to roll my eyes any time people try to downplay a certain a thing....and then to turn around and rave about the S8. Which is really just an S7 with less bezel (admitted potshot).

Bboy AJ would be proud.

Bboy AJ would be proud.

I'm pretty honest. The S8 was a good start on the right path. If apple only released the 8 it would have been utter trash and dated in comparison.

They leapfrogged instead with the X. That's just how I see it. Now we see if Samsung can leapfrog with the S9.
S8 has 3D touch on it's OLED (used as the on screen "clickable" home button)

just that one area though

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
"other than face ID" is a bit unfair considering how it's accomplished. But to add:

unparalleled design - highest screen to body ratio out there most likely
TrueTone display (through OLED no less)
3D Touch in an OLED
More durable glass (I'm sure it will be tested but apple is usually true to their claims)
Various AR features/functionality (i.e. animoji, deal with it)
Portrait lighting feature
Dual OIS (both cameras! Some flagships don't have it at all like pixel)
A11 is a huge leap forward on its own in mobile computing tech
other camera features like 1080p/240p (don't think this has been done before, might be wrong)
Not only having face ID but the integration with machine learning
Bigger battery fit into almost identical casing as the 7 (need teardown to see it but the L shaped battery must be true)

etc

less intrusive....also lacking 90% of the features. Not to mention the impressions for the essential have been middling as hell and the X have been extremely positive so far....reviews pending of course.

Don't go off on a tangent answer the question. You really think other manufacturers can't put a big ugly ring around their phones along with an ugly intrusive notch?

Don't go off on a tangent answer the question. You really think other manufacturers can't put a big ugly ring and ugly intrusive notch around there phone?

I think it's very difficult to do the design that apple did. Why don't you look at the essential and Mi Mix 2 from Xiaomi who clearly tried? They still have bezels on the bottom and the essential even has a notch at the top. They both completely lack the high tech cameras on the front as well so there's no real gain.

So yes, it's very difficult to design and manufacture a phone like this....not sure why you'd deny that. Apple has zero bezel on the bottom and the notch is completely functional and houses state of the art facial scanning technology.

reKon

Banned

Lol, Pyro attack!

Hattori

Banned
the X actually looks interesting from design perspective. It's like looking through a window, the notch makes it seem like you are looking at something much bigger on the other side.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
"In terms of innovation apple presented a design that's never been seen or done before with the technology that it has inside of it. "

I think minor variation on slab of glass isn't really that innovative. This is aimed at every manufacturer not just Apple.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I think it's very difficult to do the design that apple did. Why don't you look at the essential and Mi Mix 2 from Xiaomi who clearly tried? They still have bezels on the bottom and the essential even has a notch at the top. They both completely lack the high tech cameras on the front as well so there's no real gain.

So yes, it's very difficult to design and manufacture a phone like this....not sure why you'd deny that.

I'd take a small bezel at the top and bottom over that big ugly bumper car ring around the X. I'm pretty sure other manufacturers can do it. It's a matter of aesthetics I think.

lol. It's the downplaying that triggers me. It's one thing to simply state that "the X didn't appeal to me personally" but to downplay what it does and what it has is just baffling.

it duct taped some old shit together on new state of the art silicon hobbled by a rigid OS.

it can't even do 960fps like the Sony (TM) Xperia (R) Flagship Android Mobile Handset.

I can't tell if you're being serious here or not. Saying the X is the future of smartphones sounds delusional to me.

Top Bottom