• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

Has anyone impressions for this manufacturer ? AmFilm is not available on amazon.de and I would order this instead.

We should shortly, I know of a few people who ordered it. I'm going to say with a modicum of confidence that it's going to be nearly the exact same thing as the amFilm.

Thanks OP, I ordered that one.

I applied the one that came with my official case before I played anything with my console when it arrived, so that's fine until t arrives. But now I'm worried I'll scratch the screen when I take off this one to apply the new one 😂

Slaythe

I guess I won't use my switch until I get the protector which should arrive.... sometime next week...

I might be able to get a plastic one in the meanwhile just to see the thing work.

Smowza

Neo Member
cip4AZI.jpg

I used a spare microfiber cloth (black would have been better) to which I stuck double sided tape to one side and cut to the required size. Easy ☺️

I will hardly use my dock but I want to get a tempered glass protector anyway.

Before I do, though, I have a question: Is there any disadvantage to using a tempered glass screen protector? Like, will the screen have a different tint or will the screen remain exactly the same in terms of colour and image quality and viewing angles?

I will hardly use my dock but I want to get a tempered glass protector anyway.

Before I do, though, I have a question: Is there any disadvantage to using a tempered glass screen protector? Like, will the screen have a different tint or will the screen remain exactly the same in terms of colour and image quality?

Slightly more reflective, that's about all I can think of.

Lom1lo

We should shortly, I know of a few people who ordered it. I'm going to say with a modicum of confidence that it's going to be nearly the exact same thing as the amFilm.

I bite the bullet and order it.I will post my impressions here as soon as I get it.
Now I hope it wont scratch my switch until it arrives.
Im really angry at nintendo right now.

meppi

cip4AZI.jpg

I used a spare microfiber cloth (black would have been better) to which I stuck double sided tape to one side and cut to the required size. Easy ☺️

Yep, just did the same thing.

Hopefully the Hori premium protector will hold up as I've read about them coming loose after docked play and I noticed that myself after spending 7 hours playing Zelda...
Otherwise I'll have to order something different. :-/

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Yep, just did the same thing.

Hopefully the Hori premium protector will hold up as I've read about them coming loose after docked play and I noticed that myself after spending 7 hours playing Zelda...
Otherwise I'll have to order something different. :-/

What kind of double sided tape are you guys using? I have the good stuff I used to hang a white board in my daughters room. It seems too thick though. Is it scotch tape? If so is it holding up to heat?

meppi

What kind of double sided tape are you guys using? I have the good stuff I used to hang a white board in my daughters room. It seems too thick though. Is it scotch tape? If so is it holding up to heat?

Just put it in, so I don't know if it'll hold. It's something called lohmann double sided tape.
Not really sure what it's specific purpose is to be honest.
But most kinds of double sided tape should do fine, I think.
As long as it sticks well enough to the microfiber and you put it on firmly.

Jarmel

Banned
Is there any physical retailer selling the glass screenprotector or even the Hori screenprotector? All I can find is the PDP stuff.

Bowl0l

Need an opinion. Is it better to:
Apply a generic screen protector from Daiso and then replace with a tempered glass screen protector 2 weeks later
Or
Wait 2 weeks for my screen protector from Amazon to reach?

Mohonky

cip4AZI.jpg

This is basically all thats needed. I wouldnt even worry about doing the rear of the dock though, just the screen side.

x Maiku x

Already have the standard Hori on mine but after seeing some comments in this thread I'm thinking of changing to glass. Is it really worth it? The two I'm looking at are a little different: 93 clarity/0.20mm and 99 clarity/0.33mm. Any real difference between these two, or any glass covers in general?

The PDP screen protector I got was... bad. I mean, it's likely a relatively isolated incident, but it had these weird spots on it when I took it out of the packaging. It was only $8 so I'm not like pissed off but it was annoying. Will try out the Hori one next I guess.

I cut small strips from the Switch Pro controller wrapping and taped to each side (similar to what the person did above). Works great, most of you should still have that stuff from the various packages.

t hicks

Banned
Went ahead and ordered the tempered glass protector in the OP, don't usually like screen protectors but hopefully this one works out well

for now I'm just doing what a few other people in this thread have done, using a little bit of the protection the switch grip came wrapped in taped around the dock... this won't cause any heating issues right? Im not covering the fan or anything, just wanted to make sure.. lol this is so annoying

Smowza

Neo Member
This is basically all thats needed. I wouldnt even worry about doing the rear of the dock though, just the screen side.

Agreed, I did think that but I thought why not. I can't cope with scratches.

Btw the double sided tape was just plain old stuff.. nothing special to anyone wondering. Just stick the tape to the cloth first then cut then apply to dock

maxcriden

Thanks so much for the thread and research Az! I ordered one yesterday with express shipping, slated for 3/9 but hoping it comes sooner.

I'm doing this until my tempered glass arrives.

Is there any reason this would be unsafe for heating or any other reasons? And did you just use scotch tape?

StAidan

Really appreciate the info and research, OP. I had noticed after unboxing my Switch yesterday morning that the screen was plastic. I usually avoid screen protectors for various reasons, but decided I couldn't do without one in this case.

Got the amfilm protector ordered, now I just need to be extra careful for the next couple weeks while I wait for it to get here, lol :(

Great thread! As soon as my switch arrives I'm putting electrical tape on my dock and the amFilm tempered glass on the console! 😉👍

Nicodemic

Joined the bandwagon and ordered the Orzly screen protector from amazon. Looking for impressions if anyone gets them early. In the meantime, no Zelda for me... :-(

Thank you base Guerilla for Horizon! ;-)

Anybody else using the screen protector that comes with the official Nintendo case? That's going to be the only thing that can get to me quickly, as the amFilm protector wont' show up until the 14th-16th according to Amazon.

Effect

Every night I cover my TV back up with that material lol.
Might work better then here. Did the same a few times when I had paint in a room. Always keep stuff like that around just in case. Decided not to go this route. Took it out this morning and noticed some marks. My microfiber cloth for my shades took them right out after a few seconds of rubbing but that was enough for me. Honestly I don't care if the black part of the screen gets marked, just not the part the game displays on. So my temp solution was very temp. Any solutions does need to be at the edges I think but not touching the screen itself.

So DON'T do the below unless it's with a microfiber cloth that someone used. Anything else risk marks even if the material seems like it might be okay. Screen protector still seems ideal.

Anybody else using the screen protector that comes with the official Nintendo case? That's going to be the only thing that can get to me quickly, as the amFilm protector wont' show up until the 14th-16th according to Amazon.

That's the one I'm using. Had no problem with bubbles, it was easy to apply. Instead of scratching the bottom corners of the Switch got mild scuffs from sliding in and out of the dock, but that wiped away.

Problem is I had to send my Switch to Nintendo because it crashed any time I tried to play a game. If I end up with a replacement unit, I may have to get something along the lines of what's in the OP. Nintendo's cheap ass sure as shit won't send me a replacement screen protector if they replace my Switch.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I bought a package of some little felt pads for $2 that will fit perfectly, but I'm undecided on whether I want to use these, electrical tape, or a chopped up microfiber cloth with double-sided tape. Can't make up my mind. :\

Killadji

Will a tempered glass screen protector visually feel the same ? I love how crisp are the details on the Switch screen and I'm afraid to lose some of that.

Will a tempered glass screen protector visually feel the same ? I love how crisp are the details on the Switch screen and I'm afraid to lose some of that.
it will have zero effect on the screen sharpness. it'll probably feel better too, as the switch screen is plastic vs the screen protector which will be glass. :p

Rhapsody

Banned
I assume the amFilm tempered glass has no issues when docking and undocking multiple times? Main reason I want to get one. The other tempered glass screen protector looks like it's going to be awhile.

Edit: Any reason why I see a lot of people waiting on Ozrly's? Don't know much about either company.

Debating about electrical tape but won't that leave sticky residue eventually when the tape looses its integrity and starts to peel away? I kinda feel like the felt sticky furniture protector pads are the way to go if I can find em thin enough...and in black. Guess I'm shopping today.

Pasedo

I bet someone will come out with a 3rd party dock which eliminates the scratching problem. Probably something more open. I don't understand why Nintendo designed it to cover the entire thing in the first place. Good thing there's barely anything to the dock so it shouldn't be difficult to create other docking options.

mrback

Im sure it wont be too long until this dock gets reverse engineered & a better solution will be available. Poor on Nintendo's part mind.

Symphonia

Banned
I bought the Hori screen protector from GAME for £14.99, applied it, and regretted it. Shit looks cheap and nasty. I'm going to order a tempered glass one tonight.

Effect

Tried the black electrical tape this afternoon. So far so good. Will still try to get something for the screen though at some point once there is a determination on what the best ones are.

HeeHo

I'm pretty OCD about not getting my screens scratched, but I already applied the official screen protector. I don't care if the plastic screen gets scratched, so is there any reason other than that to go with glass?

Top Bottom