• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I think it's about time we have a new thread for this, just to keep people in the loop about what's going on and to prevent discussion from being stale.

EGM Interview: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/egm-interview-dark-souls-director-hidetaka-miyazaki/

Excepts below, more at the link.

EGM: So, originally, did you think that a game like Dark Souls wouldn’t be fitting for the PC market, or was it simply something you just never considered?

Miyazaki: I had no experience making PC games, so it was simply a case of never even thinking about it.

EGM: One of the other questions that’s come up among PC gamers is Dark Souls being a Games For Windows Live title, as there’s quite a divide in the PC market between GFWL and those that are built on Steamworks. Did you at From Software make the decision as to what platform the PC version would be using, or was that a decision made by Namco Bandai?

Miyazaki: That was completely the decision of Namco Bandai. However, while for now we’ve only announced support for Games For Windows Live, that’s still to be determined—we might work with Steam as well. We don’t know yet.

EGM: In this being a new venture for you in terms of bringing the game to the PC market, was the whole idea of porting Dark Souls to the PC frightening? Was it overwhelming? Was it exciting? What feelings did you feel in now realizing that you had to make a PC version of the game?

Miyazaki: I was excited, but as I don’t have that experience in making PC games, I was also a bit afraid. I had concerns about making the PC version in terms of things like technical issues, but it was thrilling to get that chance. Having that chance to work on a platform that’s new to you is fun; it’s a challenge.

Another interview from Guardian, a sample of questions below: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/apr/17/dark-souls-pc-dlc-news

Regarding console versions:
The main question everyone has had since the announcement is whether console owners will get the extra content created for the PC release – perhaps as DLC. Namco's response to this has been, let's say, ambiguous. For Miyazaki's part, he said From Software had nothing to say at this point. "It's completely understandable that people who bought the console version have those questions. However, as the director of Dark Souls I cannot answer your question right now. I want to apologise to console owners that I don't have any news at this point."

Regarding GFWL:
Another element Miyazaki wouldn't be drawn on is the apparent decision by Namco to use Games for Windows Live for the PC game's online content. At the Namco Gamers Day event, box art of the title showed a GFWL logo, prompting a disappointed response from some gamers who view the service as inferior to other contenders such as Steam. However, while Miyazaki wouldn't comment, Namco's publishing producer for the game, Daisuke Uchiyama, told reporters that the final decision had yet to be made and that partnership negotiations were ongoing.

Regarding new content:
Miyazaki did provide a few small details about the additional chapter. Apparently, it will feature "three to four" new boss characters and the same number of areas, as well as a fresh storyline. "There will also be more NPCs and more enemies," he said. "And the equipment of these characters will be available for the player to wear." He also mentioned that the area will fit into the game at some point after the middle of the game, and certainly later than Sen's Fortress.

Regarding mods:
Moving on, it seems Dark Souls on PC will not support any sort of user modification or editing – unlike, say, Skyrim with its creation kit. "Personally, I am interested in the concept of Mods," said Miyazaki. "However, due to our lack of experience with the PC we need more time to adapt to what PC gamers want from mods. So this time we're not doing it."

Regarding controls:
The game will also only offer limited support for mouse and keyboard control. "Since it's a straight port of the console version, we recommend that players use a joypad. We will support the keyboard, but it will be minimal."

There is also a Japanese interview with Miyazaki here: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201204/18013184.html

I commented on it in the previous thread:

Morning. I just read the interviews with Miyazaki from Guardian and from Famitsu. I don't think there's much room for misunderstanding here. What he says is very clear, although it does sound weird and it seems to reflect the lack of experience he has in terms of doing PR for this sort of thing, or understanding the market.

There are a few things he makes very clear:

- The PC version of Dark Souls is a Bandai Namco Games initiative which was brought up after the release of the console version. Remember that From Software published the PS3 version themselves in Japan, while Bandai Namco requested the 360 version for the international market. This seems similar, and Bandai Namco is footing the entire bill and helping them with development as well.

- The PC version is 70-80% complete, the content is basically all at the end stages of development, with the focus being balancing and QC right now. In particular Bandai Namco has been helping them with QC and specifications.

- Miyazaki says that the base game is intended to be a straight port with no change in resolution and he specifically says not to expect 60 fps. This is probably his most controversial statement, because it does seem to suggest that it will run at a locked resolution and framerate. Until he clarifies further, I do feel that is the intended message to manage expectations.

- With regards to how big the new areas are, he mentions in the Japanese interview that if you consider each "are" as a place where you enter into a new sort of setting or situation and the game displays an area name on screen, there will be 3 of these areas being added. One of these areas in particular is something he had in mind which is based on the past history of Darkroot Garden. The actual design of the area is brand new though, and not a rehash.

- There are two questions in the Japanese interview which Miyazaki very frankly said he was unable to comment on. One is regarding any changes to PvP, to which he said that he cannot talk about it at the moment, but he implies there will be some sort of new features which will follow in the spirit of Dark Souls' experimental online nature.

- The other question was about a Japanese release for this product, to which he says he also cannot answer the question right now. Since Bandai Namco does not publish the game in Japan, it seems From Software isn't very sure about what they're going to do with it domestically at the moment. All they are focused on right now is finishing the PC version for international release, while they try to work something out for the other fans.

What I personally read from these interviews is that the ball is really in Bandai Namco Games' court here, and not From Software. They seem to have full control over all the technical and publishing elements of the PC version, and since they're paying for the development, it's probably also up to them to decide if they want to turn that into DLC as well for the console versions. On Miyazaki's part, he seems dedicated to add value to the new release, and is putting substantial effort into making it worthwhile for people looking forward to that content.

Aside from that, he seems very naive and inexperienced with regards to what PC gamers expect, and so he probably doesn't realize the backlash of what he is saying is causing. To him, he probably considers it a good thing if they can develop a PC version which is equal in performance to the console game without making compromises. He probably hasn't considered the natural advantages of PC hardware to make the game performance automatically better.

That's my two cents.

There are also new artworks and screens on the various articles, including this one: http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/17/die-another-day-going-masochist-with-dark-souls-on-pc/

darksoulsart_01.jpg

darksoulsart_02.jpg

darksoulsart_03.jpg

darksoulsart_04.jpg

darksoulsart_05.jpg

darksoulscreen_01.jpg

darksoulscreen_02.jpg

darksoulscreen_03.jpg

darksoulscreen_04.jpg

DTKT

The game will also only offer limited support for mouse and keyboard control. "Since it's a straight port of the console version, we recommend that players use a joypad. We will support the keyboard, but it will be minimal."

Yes. Port your game on the PC but don't support the keyboard.

If this ends up being a bad port...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The dragon that's taking of...

God damn.
YIf this ends up being a bad port...
I might just have to break something.

Jintor

I haven't finished transcribing and writing up my article yet (and, indeed, it's going into print, so it won't be visible here anyway), but I can confirm that From Software is doing the portwork.

epmode

30 FPS lock = no sale

And I really, REALLY wanted this port. This is such a lousy way for this saga to end.

Jintor

Also in line with Miyazaki's other statements is the fact that no considerations have been (or are likely to be) made for PC Mod support.

King Boo

so if this sells enough, and the next ___ souls game comes out, is it safe to assume it will have mod kit thing?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
- Miyazaki says that the base game is intended to be a straight port with no change in resolution and he specifically says not to expect 60 fps. This is probably his most controversial statement, because it does seem to suggest that it will run at a locked resolution and framerate. Until he clarifies further, I do feel that is the intended message to manage expectations.

Is there any possibility that he may be confusing a general sense of visual quality with resolution? Like, he's saying that the games will visually look the same (disregarding that PCs can do higher native resolutions)?

I dunno. Damn. I just kinda need this not to be true.

30 FPS lock = no sale

And I really, REALLY wanted this port. This is such a lousy way for this saga to end.

Yep. Between no graphics settings, 30 FPS, and GFWL, I'm out. I was pretty excited also. At least they're telling us up front it's going to be a shit port.

MMaRsu

Banned
so if this sells enough, and the next ___ souls game comes out, is it safe to assume it will have mod kit thing?

It is certainly possible, and it will have all the graphics options you guys could want. Give it a chance people!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm almost positive the community will have to fix this game unless From patches it down line. I don't know what to say here. It shows how Japanese devs are disconnected from PC gaming or the way of the western world. Some of those statements are quite outlandish.

I may have to play this windowed >>

His apparent lack of familiarity with PC as a gaming platform, let alone lack of experience developing for PC is concerning. I realized that From didn't have a ton of PC development experience but I didn't realize that the platform was such a mystery to them. Now I kind of wish that they would have outsourced the PC port with Miyazaki acting in a more advisory role.

No way the game is going to be resolution and FPS locked. Miyazaki seems to have no idea what he's talking about, and I'm sure whoever is in charge of these decisions does.

duckroll

Is there any possibility that he may be confusing a general sense of visual quality with resolution? Like, he's saying that the games will visually look the same (disregarding that PCs can do higher native resolutions)?

Sure, it's possible he's just making some general comment, but he seems pretty specific in terms of managing expectations so as a consumer I would definitely err on the side of caution.

HoosTrax

No way the game is going to be resolution and FPS locked. Miyazaki seems to have no idea what he's talking about, and I'm sure whoever is in charge of these decisions does.
You should have a word with whoever made the decisions to have a 30fps cap in the PC versions of LA Noire and Need For Speed: The Run.

Burekma

When I read this news I thought someone was pulling my leg.

I don't think I've ever encountered a 3D PC game that ran on a fixed native rez, and I've been PC gaming for more than 12 years. This is mind-boggling.

I hope someone smacks some sense into whoever is responsible before the port ships.

LiquidMetal14

I'm really hoping that it really is a lack of him just now knowing the bells and whistles of it all. We need a clear interview with discreet questions. It's quite worrying to me. Don't get me wrong, a port with 1:1 res but locked 30 would still make it better than the consoles but that's downright sloppy to not have the very basic resolution options with an uncapped frame rate.

Starting to get a bad taste....

epmode

Didn't Remedy's excellent port of Alan Wake pay for itself within 48 hours or something? There's a lesson there.
His apparent lack of familiarity with PC as a gaming platform, let alone lack of experience developing for PC is concerning. I realized that From didn't have a ton of PC development experience but I didn't realize that the platform was such a mystery to them. Now I kind of wish that they would have outsourced the PC port with Miyazaki acting in a more advisory role.
From also ported Ninja Blade to PC. From what I understand, the framerate could be unlocked so that it would go above 30.

- Miyazaki says that the base game is intended to be a straight port with no change in resolution and he specifically says not to expect 60 fps.

Wait, so the game will be locked at 720p and 30fps? I don't believe it...

Mrbob

720P, 30fps locked, minimal keyboard/mouse interface adjustments, and GFWL? Is this some sort of troll? It's always said Dark Souls is for the hardcore, but From Software/Namco Bandai are taking this up like 1 million more notches for the PC release.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You should have a word with whoever made the decisions to have a 30fps cap in the PC versions of LA Noire and Need For Speed: The Run.

Didn't L.A. Noire make the excuse that the actor's faces were recorded with 30fps and that it'd look weird if the framerate were uncapped? I dunno, but I remember hearing something like that around launch

From also ported Ninja Blade to PC. From what I understand, the framerate could be unlocked so that it would go above 30.

From didn't do that port. That was done by some Russian company.

nataku

Ugh, if this thing gets released with a locked resolution... with a console-like framerate.

I really hope he's just confused.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I honestly feel like I'm on the fence at this point. No 60 fps, no visual enhancements beyond PS3 version and no ability to mod the game in order to give it those things? That means some coders will have to hack the game and develop mod tools on their own, just so we can implement elements that should unquestionably be in the PC version.

LiquidMetal14

His wording seems fairly unambiguous.

I know what you're saying but he also comes off as very......lacking in PC development knowledge. It just can't be right. I want him to say that again and make sure that's what it means. It's so confusing and baffling. I just can't believe it.

720P, 30fps locked, minimal keyboard/mouse interface adjustments, and GFWL? Is this some sort of troll? Dark Souls PC edition to be for the most hardcore fan only.

I think they're just making sure nobody begs them for a PC version of their games ever again.

Moaradin

So I am going to have to play an ugly ass 720p game upscaled on my 1080p monitor, while running at 30fps? Yea, I'll pass.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

There's no way in hell he's talking about a locked resolution (like, 1280x720). He MUST be talking about assets resolutions.

Since this is a 360 and PS3 game, the resolution of the assets used are probably at the resolution the consoles run the game at (720p), but the displaying resolution on a PC is just setting a variable - The videocard does all the muscle work. Even if the game has a fixed rendering resolution (madness), it would be trivial (technically) to change it on the .exe itself.

FPS, on the other hand, I can understand. If the engine uses hardcoded FPS counting (on frame 300 he's here, on frame 301 he's over there), it's very hard to run the game ad twice that and not mess up everything, unless you program around that, which doesn't seem they're going to do.

You can't really convince me that they'll lock down the rendering resolution of the game with any arguments. Only if it comes out and there's absolutely NO way (editing a .ini file counts) to change resolution.

2San

Still Miyazaki's comments really surprise me someone who's actually produces video games is that ignorant about PC games?
Didn't Remedy's excellent port of Alan Wake pay for itself within 48 hours or something? There's a lesson there.From also ported Ninja Blade to PC. From what I understand, the framerate could be unlocked so that it would go above 30.
Oh so they have PC experience? Was the PC version any good?

epmode

If all of this news is true, this is going to be up there with the worst PC ports of the generation. So, so disappointing.

Oh so they have PC experience?

I thought so but it seems that I was wrong. Perhaps they should have outsourced this one as well.

Jintor

I know what you're saying but he also comes off as very......lacking in PC development knowledge. It just can't be right. I want him to say that again and make sure that's what it means. It's so confusing and baffling. I just can't believe it.

Given Japanese developer attitudes to the PC platform, I really don't see this as strange. Disappointing, but to be expected.

The comments on the Guardian article are great:

Was he deliberately trying to recreate Dark Souls' sense of abstraction and difficulty in interview form?

Orayn

720P, 30fps locked, minimal keyboard/mouse interface adjustments, and GFWL? Is this some sort of troll? It's always said Dark Souls is for the hardcore, but From Software/Namco Bandai are taking this up like 1 million more notches for the PC release.

Yo. I'll be buying it regardless, in hopes that future Souls games get PC releases.

Uraizen

Banned
Locked 30fps? Okay, I expected that along with a BS reason like "preserving the feel of the game" from them. Locked resolution? Get the fuck outta here with that non-sense.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ouch, some of that stuff is troubling. It's a bummer to finally get this on PC only to find out it might be lacking things that are pretty much standard with most modern PC games. If it's really 720P and 30FPS or less, I'll probably just say "fuck it" and hang on to my PS3 version. I guess we'll see how it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom