• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Escalario

Banned
So about EOU1, I was wondering if my team is ok for beating the game, including the optional floors. My team is:
Landsknecht for doing physical damage / Protector for defense skills / Dark Hunter for status ailments
Medic for healing / Alchemist for elemental damage.

omlet

So about EOU1, I was wondering if my team is ok for beating the game, including the optional floors. My team is:
Landsknecht for doing physical damage / Protector for defense skills / Dark Hunter for status ailments
Medic for healing / Alchemist for elemental damage.

That party can handle expert mode postgame floors in EOU just fine but probably will not be able to handle the final boss very easily because he's basically immune to binds and ailments and you can't count on using Bait consistently against him. However, with good grimoire setup DH can still deal good damage. You will want star-rank Whip Mastery, Wrath's Might, and Action Boost, at minimum, for your DH's grimoire.

If you're not playing on expert mode
then switch to expert mode
you can probably beat him once you learn his pattern. Even on picnic mode the postgame boss can easily wipe you out if you don't pay attention to his attack patterns.

vareon

I have a strange relationship with this series.

Loved Etrian Odyssey 1 to death. It's my first introduction to the genre, and I loved the narration style that puts me into the adventure, which sparks my imagination about my party (and I remember PureAuthor made a fanfic, too, which is cool).

Skipped EO 2 because I had no money back then, but I plan to buy the remake if it's released here.

I have to drag myself to finish EO3. Still haven't finished EO 4 and skipped Untold.

I'm by no means consider myself "hardcore" so planning a character build in advance and then spend hours bringing a character up to speed isn't too much fun for me. But I still really, really like the series for some reason I can't explain. I guess I just want to support the series since I don't want to see it over, but playing it needs a heavy investment of time I'm not prepared to give these days.

I really liked the sea map but I did use a guide at times.

I don't think the limited movement worked in its favor at all. Too much trial and error. I like that in Etrian I'm usually in total control of everything, and my failures and successes are based on proper planning and execution. The sea map didn't feel like that at all.

The boss music for sea battles was ballin' as hell though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEsgRhIhHf8

Kirlia

Banned
Beat Narmer in EO3! Having a Bunshin Ninja was a huge help, especially with administering Medicas. Had to invest a point in Rampage for my Gladiator for when Narmer hid in the mud, so I'll probably end up removing it when I inevitably Rest my characters (feel free to take bets on when that will be).

Is it possible to beat Ketos without a Prince/Princess? Spout seems like it will be a hella annoying move to deal with, so maybe I'll have to bring my Combat Study Prince out for that one, even though I really like using my starter team for all bosses.

I actually really enjoy the Sea Map, although it took me a bit to come around to it.

And for when I reach subclassing, is Gladiator the best option for my Zodiac, or is there something better?

That party can handle expert mode postgame floors in EOU just fine but probably will not be able to handle the final boss very easily because he's basically immune to binds and ailments and you can't count on using Bait consistently against him. However, with good grimoire setup DH can still deal good damage. You will want star-rank Whip Mastery, Wrath's Might, and Action Boost, at minimum, for your DH's grimoire.

If you're not playing on expert mode
then switch to expert mode
you can probably beat him once you learn his pattern. Even on picnic mode the postgame boss can easily wipe you out if you don't pay attention to his attack patterns.

I loved Etrian Odyssey, it's one of my favorite DS games, but honestly I kind of hate the postgame bosses. I don't think it's fair to say "well, these bosses can only be beaten with this one specific party setup. If you don't have it, too bad, go spend like another dozen hours grinding up some new characters from nothing!" No, I'm not going to do that. And I didn't, and it's why I never beat any of the super-strong bosses at the end of the postgame floors, even though I did otherwise fully map out that last stratum.

See, my EO1 party doesn't have a medic with max-level Immunize (I have a medic of course, but Immunize is only at level 5), doesn't have a Protector in the party at all, and does have a Hexer. That's fine for everything in the game up until some of the postgame-content bosses, which suddenly are near-impossible without specific skills which I don't have and would take a LONG time to train up. That's not fair game design...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm of two minds of the world maps in 3 and 4. I like them...just not in this game. One town. One dungeon. Story that unfolds as you get deeper/higher. Please get back to that.

I loved Etrian Odyssey, it's one of my favorite DS games, but honestly I kind of hate the postgame bosses. I don'[t think it's fair to say "well, tehse bosses can only be beaten with this one specific party setup. If you don't have it, too bad, go spend like another dozen hours grinding up some new characters from nothing!" No, I'm not going to do that. And I didn't, and it's why I never beat any of the super-strong bosses at the end of the postgame floors, even though I did otherwise fully map out that last stratum.

See, my EO1 party doesn't have a medic with Immunize, doesn't have a Protector in the party at all, and does have a Hexer. That's fine for everything in the game up until some of the postgame-content bosses, which suddenly are near-impossible without specific skills which I don't have and would take a LONG time to train up. That's not fair game design...

This is a perfectly valid complaint for one that is addressed in two and beyond by making it much, much easier to adjust your party makeup by making the retirement penalties less severe and offering up ways to relevel quickly. 4 goes a step beyond and makes almost every single party viable for all of the post game content including the megaboss.

Kirlia

Banned
I loved Etrian Odyssey, it's one of my favorite DS games, but honestly I kind of hate the postgame bosses. I don'[t think it's fair to say "well, tehse bosses can only be beaten with this one specific party setup. If you don't have it, too bad, go spend like another dozen hours grinding up some new characters from nothing!" No, I'm not going to do that. And I didn't, and it's why I never beat any of the super-strong bosses at the end of the postgame floors, even though I did otherwise fully map out that last stratum.

See, my EO1 party doesn't have a medic with Immunize, doesn't have a Protector in the party at all, and does have a Hexer. That's fine for everything in the game up until some of the postgame-content bosses, which suddenly are near-impossible without specific skills which I don't have and would take a LONG time to train up. That's not fair game design...

It doesn't really help that, unless you have a TON of time on your hands (like, dozens of hours at the least), the level cap is 70 in the original EO.

I actually really dig the airship map in IV. I like the sense of progression it adds to the adventure. I liked discovering the smaller caves as well. I'd like to see it return in EOV

If we ever even get EO V ;_;

I'm of two minds of the world maps in 3 and 4. I like them...just not in this game. One town. One dungeon. Story that unfolds as you get deeper/higher. Please get back to that.

This is a perfectly valid complaint for one that is addressed in two and beyond by making it much, much easier to adjust your party makeup by making the retirement penalties less severe and offering up ways to relevel quickly. 4 goes a step beyond and makes almost every single party viable for all of the post game content including the megaboss.

I'd love for EO5 to go back to basics. Fuck Story mode, Fuck orchestrated music, fuck Picnic mode, we EO1 now.

Kirlia

Banned
I actually really dig the airship map in IV. I like the sense of progression it adds to the adventure. I liked discovering the smaller caves as well. I'd like to see it return in EOV

I really like the airship map as well. Personally, I'd love to see there being FM music in EO5 (alongside orchestrated; it can be an option, just like in the Untold games), but I understand if there isn't.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It doesn't really help that, unless you have a TON of time on your hands (like, dozens of hours at the least), the level cap is 70 in the original EO.

Treefrog leveling is mindless and doesn't take that long to go 1-70 twice for those sweet sweet extra skill points.

ohlawd

I'd love for EO5 to go back to basics. Fuck Story mode, Fuck orchestrated music, fuck Picnic mode, we EO1 now.

I'm hoping for pay to win DLC, a switch to third person battling and exploration, and space bald marines

jokes aside, I like the orchestrated music better. I want to preface that I adore orchestrated music and will almost always pick that over any style. lol I actually like floor jump but it should go away permanently. With auto mapping (colored tiles when walking is okay, any more is too much) options are good but I want that gone too. One of EO's biggest appealing features is the map making; it should not enable people to forgo that process, even just a little is no good.

ok what else. EO's battle speed. HAS TO STAY. I love how fast it is.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh I suppose I should post in here once even if I won't be around often. Love the series even if I have yet to play past 3, but I'm really looking forward to the 3DS remake of 2. I haven't felt the need for a timesink quite like this in a couple of years, but man does it scratch that itch in a way very few other series' do

Eh, the overworld in EO3 was kind of amusing. I mean, it was basically just this little puzzle mode, it wasn't a full real overworld or something...

Yeah, all of those changes were very welcome.

Yeah, levelling up takes a really long time. If I ever wanted to beat that postgame content I'd need a max-level Protector, for instance. My only one is, like, level 25 or 30 or something, so I'd need to level that one up 40 levels, plus 10 levels each for a few of the main party members who need skill-selection changes. That's too much, and I didn't do it. And anyway, you should be able to get through the game with any party configuration, darnit!

Treefrog leveling is mindless and doesn't take that long to go 1-70 twice for those sweet sweet extra skill points.
This is an RPG-fan attitude that I honestly can't quite understand. How many hours of tedious grind is "not all that long"? As long as I'm actually progressing in the game I don't mind it as much, but I hate the idea of having to stand around and level!

On that note, the whole concept of "reset your character to lv. 1 and you get one more skill point or whatever" is something I would never, EVER do.

I'm hoping for pay to win DLC, a switch to third person battling and exploration, and space bald marines

jokes aside, I like the orchestrated music better. I want to preface that I adore orchestrated music and will almost always pick that over any style. lol I actually like floor jump but it should go away permanently. With auto mapping (colored tiles when walking is okay, any more is too much) options are good but I want that gone too. One of EO's biggest appealing features is the map making; it should not enable people to forgo that process, even just a little is no good.

ok what else. EO's battle speed. HAS TO STAY. I love how fast it is.

I'm actually okay with the orchestrated music, it's pretty good.

But Floor Jump sucks, fuck that. The game already has checkpoints every 3-4 floors and you can have an Aridane thread with you, we REALLY do not need Floor Jump. Thanks for reminding me about Auto Mapping and depressing me.

syncyes

EO3's sea map was pretty abysmal, imo

The rest of that game was great. Princess class for lyfe.

I had the worst Burst Skills in that game because I ignored the sea map for so long since I hated it, haha.

Prince(ss) class made me have so many terrible party wipes where I would lose hours of progress because I relied so heavily on the walking = healing thing.

aka fav class ever

spiritfox

It did make the labyrinth less intimidating for me though, since they now seem smaller (not just because they have less floors). I like the singular labyrinth since it just seems massive and unconquerable. You know what would be cool? If we get to the 5th Strata/Maze and it's a massive dungeon with 5x the floors as the previous ones. I can dream...

And we will get EO5. It's just what exactly EO5 is is the problem.

wmlk

I've never played any of the EO games, and the only dungeon crawlers I've played are the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. I loved the first two entries.

Still, I love Etrian Odyssey IV's music and I personally think it's the most enjoyable VGM to listen to, anywhere. Of course Koshiro is involved in it.

Here are a few of my favourites.

Town - The Bliss of Twilight
Town - Embraced by the Azure Sky
Labyrinth I - Cerulean Woodlands
Labyrinth V - City of Radiant Ruin
The Relentless Melody

This stuff is pure bliss.

I hope to try these games out in the future.

spiritfox

The Mystery Dungeon games are not the same genre though. They're more Rougelikes than DCs, since they use randomized dungeons.

omlet

Is it possible to beat Ketos without a Prince/Princess? Spout seems like it will be a hella annoying move to deal with, so maybe I'll have to bring my Combat Study Prince out for that one, even though I really like using my starter team for all bosses.

You can but it will be tougher lol

I loved Etrian Odyssey, it's one of my favorite DS games, but honestly I kind of hate the postgame bosses. I don't think it's fair to say "well, these bosses can only be beaten with this one specific party setup. If you don't have it, too bad, go spend like another dozen hours grinding up some new characters from nothing!" No, I'm not going to do that. And I didn't, and it's why I never beat any of the super-strong bosses at the end of the postgame floors, even though I did otherwise fully map out that last stratum.

See, my EO1 party doesn't have a medic with max-level Immunize (I have a medic of course, but Immunize is only at level 5), doesn't have a Protector in the party at all, and does have a Hexer. That's fine for everything in the game up until some of the postgame-content bosses, which suddenly are near-impossible without specific skills which I don't have and would take a LONG time to train up. That's not fair game design...

I think it's a pretty fair complaint for the games (besides EOIV). I basically lucked out in EO2 (my first EO game to finish) and unwittingly had team that could beat Ur Child before I even knew about him (P/D/R/H/M), so I didn't experience what you're talking about until EO3, at which point it was pretty frustrating (thanks to things like combat study, shuffling my team around has not been too bad, though I still have not beaten Abyssal God).

I went into Untold classic expert mode with the exact same party that basically breezed through EO2 (P/D/R/H/M) only to find that Hexers couldn't do anything useful against bosses, Ronins worked a lot differently, and Dark Hunters were still pretty amazing, but wouldn't be reliable for binds without hax force skills. As I mentioned in another post, it wasn't until my third run through Untold (Classic->Story->Classic again to get story characters+classic characters together) that I beat that postgame boss, and I had to use a pretty specific party to do it the way I did it. Even if you do fight him with a less aggressive method, you still pretty much gotta have certain classes (or at least gotta NOT have certain classes, RIP at the guild hall, Hexer-chan ._.) in order to win.

On one hand I think it's good that they have something in the game that is really designed that way to be challenging but on the other hand after playing EOIV it's like... Atlus, can that please be the norm from now on?

wmlk

The Mystery Dungeon games are not the same genre though. They're more Rougelikes than DCs, since they use randomized dungeons.

I've seen gameplay for EO, and I see a lot of similarities.

If I enjoyed the PMD games, I'll probably enjoy this.

gaiages

Banned
Etrian Odyssey is one of those series I love, but rarely play. I've owned EOIV since its release and still haven't beaten it! I play it for a good while in bursts, then typically set it down for a few months before picking it back up and working through another Land. I finally made it to the boss of the Maze in the 4th Land, so I'm nearing the end, at least. :)

I'm sort of excited to delve into EOU after beating IV, though. Which is more preferable for you all, Classic or Story mode?

Etrian Odyssey is one of those series I love, but rarely play. I've owned EOIV since its release and still haven't beaten it! I play it for a good while in bursts, then typically set it down for a few months before picking it back up and working through another Land. I finally made it to the boss of the Maze in the 4th Land, so I'm nearing the end, at least. :)

I'm sort of excited to delve into EOU after beating IV, though. Which is more preferable for you all, Classic or Story mode?

Classic.

This is an RPG-fan attitude that I honestly can't quite understand. How many hours of tedious grind is "not all that long"? As long as I'm actually progressing in the game I don't mind it as much, but I hate the idea of having to stand around and level!

For what it's worth, at least the later versions gave you the option to auto-walk and auto-fight to reduce the tedium.

KdylanR92

That's weird i didn't know people didn't like the overworld stuff in EO4, because to me that's was part of the reason i liked 4 more than the others. I mean sure one big dungeon is ok but should they really do that for 5 games? I thought fans of the series would welcome so change in the formula.

That's weird i didn't know people didn't like the overworld stuff in EO4, because to me that's was part of the reason i liked 4 more than the others. I mean sure one big dungeon is ok but should they really do that for 5 games? I thought fans of the series would welcome so change in the formula.

I liked the overworld, too. It really boosted the adventure aspect of the game for me.

Kirlia

Banned
I can be pretty reckless with challenging F.O.Es if I think I'm high enough of a level to take them on. Woe betide the soul who takes on an Abyssal Death (in EO3) that uses Tear Apart every turn, though. My team was level 20 and it only used it twice, but it killed two of my characters (including my healer...).

My Monk is mostly a healer, so should I keep her in the back row with my Ninja and Zodiac? I'm not sure if I should put any points into any of her physical attacks.

Also, a Ninja with max Keburi no Sue, Bunshin and even one point in Izuna is an absolute terror.

Rutger

Banned
I liked EOIV's overworld.

It was a fun diversion from the dungeons with an occasional FOE puzzle. Pretty harmless really, I wouldn't mind if it returns in EOV. I liked the addition of small mazes too, though I want main dungeons to become at least four floors again.

More things to map is always a good thing.

See, my EO1 party doesn't have a medic with max-level Immunize (I have a medic of course, but Immunize is only at level 5), doesn't have a Protector in the party at all, and does have a Hexer. That's fine for everything in the game up until some of the postgame-fnord bosses, which suddenly are near-impossible without specific skills which I don't have and would take a LONG time to train up. That's not fair game design...

Ah, this explains much! lol

Yeah, Hexer, Ronin, and kinda Dark Hunter were varying levels of gimp in that one, and Medic, Protector, and arguably Troubador mandatory, especially beyond the endboss. Like Man God said, 2 has much fewer problems with this (Hexer is boss for bosses, and Beast's Loyalty having ugly side effects to mastery), and it's not stupid broken like 3 was (Royalty + anything, Shogun + anything, Hoplite + Ninja, it goes on).

I liked EOIV's overworld.

It was a fun diversion from the dungeons with an occasional FOE puzzle. Pretty harmless really, I wouldn't mind if it returns in EOV. I liked the addition of small mazes too, though I want main dungeons to become at least four floors again.

More things to map is always a good thing.

I've learned since playing that last year that quite a number of DCs have seperated dungeons. Yet, losing that in 4 was something I couldn't take thematically for some reasons; beating Chimera in 2 by the skin of my teeth than tentatively going beyond in what I told myself was suicidal curiosity and not only being greeted by a save point that warped me back to town, but this unearthily beautiful fugue accompanying a glimpse at new lands to delve
and die like a bitch in.

It's odd, I knew going in that the enemies would be animated and the synth was gone, but I adjusted, but this broadsided me. I still want 5 floors per stratum in 5, though goddamit. It's one of the things 1 & 2 have over the later ones.

omlet

Updated OP with some new images from Dandy Crocodile.

We now have about 1650 characters of free space in the OP instead of... like 65... so if there is anything that needs to be added we have a little bit of room now thanks to moving some text into images.

(although I find the lack of Shishou disturbing).

Dandy made a Shishou banner~

That feeling of "woot upgraded my airship engines, more areas to explore!" was great, too.

Verilligo

But, in the original EO1, you have to repeat that like 29 times to get to 99, right?...

You're thinking EO2. In EO1, 70 was the maximum, leveling to 99 was only introduced in EO2. And yes, in EO2 you had to continually retire and relevel to whatever the new max was.

tuffy

I also liked the overworld and small cave areas from IV since they add variety, flesh out the game world and make it seem like an actual place.

But I'd also like to see a single vertically-connected labyrinth come back. It's hard to beat that feeling of beating the boss and then immediately heading down the stairs into the unknown for that initial geomagnetic warp hunt to start off the next stratum.

Kirlia

Banned
Ah, this explains much! lol

Yeah, Hexer, Ronin, and kinda Dark Hunter were varying levels of gimp in that one, and Medic, Protector, and arguably Troubador mandatory, especially beyond the endboss. Like Man God said, 2 has much fewer problems with this (Hexer is boss for bosses, and Beast's Loyalty having ugly side effects to mastery), and it's not stupid broken like 3 was (Royalty + anything, Shogun + anything, Hoplite + Ninja, it goes on).

I'm not going to lie; I am going to ENJOY using the Hoplite/Ninja.

And by Royalty, do you mean Royal Lineage, the passive TP regaining skill for the Prince class/subclass?

omlet

I'm not too surprised, haha. Having a forced party seemed kind of lame, anyway. Thanks!

That's definitely part of it, though to be fair the party that story mode gives you is very good and capable of beating everything in the entire game on expert mode (with grimoires).

Besides the inability to customize your party, the other big problem with story mode is it really gives away the best twist in the (classic mode) game, something that was really supposed to set the tone for the entire series.

On the other hand! If you play classic mode first and decide you want to play story mode on a NG+ your classic mode characters will carry over but will be on vacation for the entire time because you can't change your party in story mode. If you NG+ a second time back to classic mode you can use everyone, but that's after two NG+. Thus, one argument for doing story mode first (probably the only good one, IMO) is that you can start there and only need to do one NG+ into classic mode to combine the story characters with guild members of your own making.

I also liked the overworld and small cave areas from IV since they add variety, flesh out the game world and make it seem like an actual place.

But I'd also like to see a single vertically-connected labyrinth come back. It's hard to beat that feeling of beating the boss and then immediately heading down the stairs into the unknown for that initial geomagnetic warp hunt to start off the next stratum.

The spanner in my emotional wants is the fact the changes 4 did to that stratum layout is what solved what didn't work for 3: giving the vehicle segments purpose.

I wonder if 5 would have the stratums be the "nodes" between the lands and you had to beat the boss to get into the next land and search the land to find the entrance to the next stratum.

OuterLimits

Playing Untold right now. Just got to the 10th floor. How important are grimoires stones in the game? haven't been really doing much with them but still seem to be doing ok. I am playing story mode on normal difficulty. Not sure I plan on doing post game stuff, but I definitely want to finish the main story.

Looking forward to playing EOIV after I finish this. I also plan to buy the EO2 remake and the Persona game. Untold is my first time playing the series. Having a blast.

Anyone played the Class of Heroes games on PSP? Is it as good as Etruan Odyssey?

omlet

Playing Untold right now. Just got to the 10th floor. How important are grimoires stones in the game? haven't been really doing much with them but still seem to be doing ok. I am playing story mode on normal difficulty. Not sure I plan on doing post game stuff, but I definitely want to finish the main story.

Grimoire stones can be pretty useful throughout the entire game but are not really what I'd call "absolutely necessary" until you're in postgame content, especially on expert difficulty, and specifically the postgame boss.

tuffy

The spanner in my emotional wants is the fact the changes 4 did to that stratum layout is what solved what didn't work for 3: giving the vehicle segments purpose.

I wonder if 5 would have the stratums be the "nodes" between the lands and you had to beat the boss to get into the next land and search the land to find the entrance to the next stratum.
Another solution is to put up roadblocks in the main labyrinth that requires an item from one of the caves to get past. Getting past the roadblock could lead to a ship upgrade, which opens up more overworld, which leads to more caves to explore, one of which might contain an item to get past the next set of roadblocks in the main labyrinth, and so on.

It'd be a nice way to add some variety to the dungeon crawling without necessarily splitting up the maze.

Delstius

Looking forward to playing EOIV after I finish this. I also plan to buy the EO2 remake and the Persona game. Untold is my first time playing the series. Having a blast.

Anyone played the Class of Heroes games on PSP? Is it as good as Etruan Odyssey?

You don't have to bother with the (shitty) grimoire stone system for the story. It's mandatory for post game though.

As for Class of Heroes PSP, I personally couldn't enjoy it as it felt cheap and inferior in every aspect after playing EO.

Top Bottom