• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for Wii |OT| Patch #3 is now live!

MiniDitka

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0817-08-09-89.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0817-08-06-46.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-58-12-95.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-55-15-18.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-51-19-43.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-42-54-56.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-41-30-56.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-42-11-53.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-38-26-84.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-36-31-79.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-44-28-56.jpg

fernoca

Nice pics Mini. :)
Adding them to the main post in a few secs.

In the meantime, added small pics of the multiplayer maps with the descriptions, as taken from the video rpmurphy linked a few moments ago.

EDIT:
Done, added all but 1; to have 2 lines of 5 pics each. :p

fernoca

So, I don't know if it was that I was expecting something really bad, but the game looks quite good and better than (what I at least remember) Black Ops on Wii. More clean, more sharp, nice effects too (like the particles flying around the screen); kinda reminds me (so far) to Killzone on PS2 which looked quite great. (Playing on a CRT)

Jumped on a quick multiplayer match and of course I sucked, even more than usual when the first thing I did when someone was in front of me was got all desperate and messed all buttons and started throwing all bombs and running, instead of shooting him. XD

So, back to Campaign in my case. :p

Though definitely Wii-only MW-players will get the short-end of the stick, story-wise; as the game starts exactly were MW2 left off and the recap is too...abstract for anyone that didn't played it to get an idea of what happened. Then again, most don't play this games for the story; but still I'd recommend anyone that does and only has played it on Wii to read a summary. I'll look for a good one around and post it on the main post later.

EDIT:
There, posted the MW2-recap at the end, as an image just in case I need the extra characters for later updates and to make it easier to read.

Played a lot of TDM. Got much better luck with the hit detection, although I still had some matches where I was just shaking my head.

And me and my buddy got accused of hacking already because we narrowly won a match.

I also wonder what the percentages are for care packages. I've been pulling some nasty stuff, and I haven't seen Ammo once.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That comparison video is just using MiniDitka's first super dark video and most of it is of the intro stuff, lol. MiniDitka started his playthrough videos too. There are three so far, this is the first. The third is underwater/with the boat chase. You could replace some of your links in the OP with these since he has somewhat fixed the brightness settings, you can actually see what's happening now, and they go through the same parts since it's a complete playthrough. Seems like it's his first Wii FPS.

fernoca

basik said:
anybody try the co-op missions? is it only 2 players? any fun?
From what I tried, Special-Ops can be played solo, local co-op and online co-op up to 2 players. But unlike what I originally read, there was no "mission mode". It's just a "Survival Mode" were you chose a map and you have to survive. The more enemies you defeat, the longer you survive, maintain streaks, etc; the higher the scores and rewards. You unlock more maps (all 16) to play and unlock tags, emblems, weapons, support, etc.

Alextended said:
That comparison video is just using MiniDitka's first super dark video and most of it is of the intro stuff, lol. MiniDitka started his playthrough videos too. There are three so far, this is the first. The third is underwater/with the boat chase. You could replace some of your links in the OP with these since he has somewhat fixed the brightness settings, you can actually see what's happening now, and they go through the same parts since it's a complete playthrough. Seems like it's his first Wii FPS.
Yep. :p
Was going to say something when I originally posted it, but decided not to. XD

Thanks for the new links, added them. :)

EDIT:
No local co-op, sorry. :p :/

Disguises

fernoca said:
From what I tried, Special-Ops can be played solo, local co-op and online co-op up to 2 players.
Local co-op!? Nice. Assuming this means split screen and not the WaW, Reflex style 'co-op' where player 2 has just got a reticle on the screen.

Boerseun

Banned
fernoca said:
From what I tried, Special-Ops can be played solo, local co-op and online co-op up to 2 players. But unlike what I originally read, there was no "mission mode". It's just a "Survival Mode" were you chose a map and you have to survive. The more enemies you defeat, the longer you survive, maintain streaks, etc; the higher the scores and rewards. You unlock more maps (all 16) to play and unlock tags, emblems, weapons, support, etc.

Are you sure about local co-op? The back of the box says it's only one player off-line.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/img0502ue.jpg/

fernoca said:

The Wii version is missing some atmospheric effects, but DAMN, that's impressive stuff considering the gap in hardware!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
this begs the question, why no MW2 then?

but online co-op modes nice, maybe it's like mw2 where you have to complete mission objectives etc, if so count me in

Ryuuga

Banned
Looks pretty decent from the videos, but I already thought there was an MW3 thread or is this tantamount to the BF3 console community thread?

Hey guys, what's your friend codes? I'll be adding y'all (if you don't mind) after class today. Hopefully my package will arrive by lunch time.

jufonuk said:
Wii would have it if IW played ball.
Treyarch did COD3, COD:WaW, COD 4 MW, COD: Black Ops, COD:MW3 on the Wii.

That's like 1 COD every year. Plus they also have to do their stuff on 360/PS3. They can't do everything.

Effect

dwu8991 said:
God, this game looks beautiful!
Beautiful is a strong word. The game looks okay but beautiful is taking things way to far. Have you played any other Wii games, especially Nintendo games?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, this looks absolutely hideous. Rather than designing the visuals to take advantage of the Wii, it simply looks like a scaled down, ultra low-res version of the HD game. Was hoping they'd at least attempt to deliver a visual style more fitting for the system.

Still an interesting comparison.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
dark10x said:
Wow, this looks absolutely hideous. Rather than designing the visuals to take advantage of the Wii, it simply looks like a scaled down, ultra low-res version of the HD game. Was hoping they'd at least attempt to deliver a visual style more fitting for the system.

cell shaded CoD??

PetrCobra

Effect said:
Beautiful is a strong word. The game looks okay but beautiful is taking things way to far. Have you played any other Wii games, especially Nintendo games?
It's technically impressive to say the least. And I like the style as well (or what I've seen of it so far)

Disguises

Anyone know how many people are online at the moment? I'm guessing it has gone up, but am just interested. :)

Edit: Actually, Its still morning in USA, so I guess not many still.

Veal

AbsoluteZero said:
Am I crazy person or does that anyone find that the Wii version of these games are easier to play because they're not quite so visually cluttered?
I don't think so. There are too many times in modern games where a sheet of paper or some shit floats by and makes me think it's an enemy or something. This honestly doesn't look bad, though none of the Wii COD's were horrible ports. Pretty good work considering what they have to work with.

KageMaru

dark10x said:

That's not really fair. Scaled down, low res version is a fitting style for the system. I think it looks great considering the hardware it's running on. We certainly didn't see shooters last gen with this much action going on.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Go play Red Steel 2 if that's what you want. Of course then you have a medium budget Wii game (that while nice in some ways including the visuals is riddled with flaws) rather than a solid fully featured port of a so called AAA multiplatform title complete with multiplayer and the majority of the original content intact. Of course they weren't going to give it another full game's worth of budget in order to both bring all these features in and also remake everything from the ground up with a different art style or whatever else to Wii's spec. Like, double duh. Expecting that, if you were, was quite a silly thing to do. As is preferring to get some low budget outsourced spin off Call of Duty over a port, considering there's no way in hell they'd make another Wii exclusive FPS with equal attention and effort to the main series.

MiniDitka said:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0817-08-09-89.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0817-08-06-46.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-58-12-95.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-55-15-18.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-51-19-43.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-42-54-56.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-41-30-56.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-42-11-53.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-38-26-84.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-36-31-79.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/AVerMediaCenter2011-11-0816-44-28-56.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wait that's the Wii build? You could have told me it was the PC version running at a low resolution at medium quality settings and I wouldn't have argued.

EDarkness

dark10x said:

It's this kind of thinking that got us games like Madden 2010 Wii. Ugh. We were fine with "real looking" last generation and we should be fine with it this generation, too. I'll take scaled down any day of the week.

KageMaru

AbsoluteZero said:
Wait that's the Wii build? You could have told me it was the PC version running at a low resolution at medium quality settings and I wouldn't have argued.

Let's not get carried away now. =p

rpmurphy

fernoca said:

Yep. :p
Was going to say something when I originally posted it, but decided not to. XD

Thanks for the new links, added them. :)
Yeah, looked again and it does seem like Solo mode for Spec Ops is not available, not listed under the menu like the other versions. That's a bummer.

dacuk

Nintendo should ask Activision to lend them Treyarch, combine it with Retro and ask it to create a new FPS IP.

AbsoluteZero said:

No, it's looks like low resolution at low settings with no modern shaders (such as normal mapping) enabled. It is impressive though that they have retained the interactivity and sheer size of the levels. I have to say I'm very impressed by Treyarch's work.

fernoca said:

That's really unfortunate about the removal of the spec ops missions. Survival mode doesn't sound anywhere near as interesting. I like to think they could be offered as DLC later but after BLOPs Wii lack of DLC, that's unlikely.

happyfunball said:
That's really unfortunate about the removal of the spec ops missions. Survival mode doesn't sound anywhere near as interesting. I like to think they could be offered as DLC later but after BLOPs Wii lack of DLC, that's unlikely.

Yeah, that does suck. Spec Ops' mission mode is awesome and they should've kept it.

Effect

AbsoluteZero said:
Yeah. I love my Wii and enjoy playing Wii games and can look past the limitations some of the games have but lets not get carried away now.

fernoca

Yeah, sorry guys...
NO LOCAL CO-OP.

:p

Waiting on trying a headset, because either another friend lends me one or I buy them. I do know that when you get online, the first thing you're been told is to press/hold L (if you use the Classic Controller) to talk. [I/m alternating between Classic and Wii Remote since I was recently playing Conduit 2 and liked using the CC Pro.)

Disguises

fernoca said:
Yeah, sorry guys...
NO LOCAL CO-OP.

:p

Waiting on trying a headset, because either another friend lends me one or I buy them. I do know that when you get online, the first thing you're been told is to press/hold L (if you use the Classic Controller) to talk. [I/m alternating between Classic and Wii Remote since I was recently playing Conduit 2 and liked using the CC Pro.)
Ah well, wasn't expecting local co-op anyway :p. I think the L button you mention is just to mute all people talking (At least, it was in Black Ops).

Anyone post online numbers, please?

Holy shit the online's laggy. It's nearly unplayable. You almost have to use a spray 'n pray assault rifle, good luck using a 3 round burst gun.

Disguises

Chuck said:
Holy shit the online's laggy. It's nearly unplayable. You almost have to use a spray 'n pray assault rifle, good luck using a 3 round burst gun.
Sounds like it's far too much like W@W. Not good. Wonder why they went back to this netcode and not just build upon Black Ops?

Boerseun

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Am I crazy person or does that anyone find that the Wii version of these games are easier to play because they're not quite so visually cluttered?

I'd like to throw copious bloom lighting in there as well.

jufonuk said:

I'm under the impression it has (had?) something to do with those two assholes who used to run Infinity Ward throwing their weight around.

I know those guys have been gone for a while, but squeezing in a quick port of Modern Warfare 2 would still have cost Activision resources that they probably didn't have. (Treyarch being fully comitted to Black Ops.)

dark10x said:

I have no idea what to make of this post. Call of Duty is Call of Duty. Seriously, what would you have had them do to make the visual style more "fitting"?

thehillissilent said:
No, it's looks like low resolution at low settings with no modern shaders (such as normal mapping) enabled. It is impressive though that they have retained the interactivity and sheer size of the levels. I have to say I'm very impressed by Treyarch's work.

The Wii is capable of replicating any shader effect using the TEV's. In other words, it is possible to get the on-screen effect without using traditional shaders (which the console doesn't support). In that respect, a game like Conduit 2 is a good example of what can be achieved when building software for the Wii from the ground up. That game is just chock full of "shader" effects, so that it really does look like a downscaled Xbox 360/Ps3 game.

One has to suppose Treyarch have their limits too. They would not have been building Modern Warfare 3 for Wii from the ground up. Replicating all the shader effects on Wii was likely beyond what they were tasked to do, or capable of doing within the timeframe and resources allotted.

As it stands though, the Wii version appears mighty impressive, in my opinion. I too would have liked more atmospheric effects, but the textures, polygons and, above all, speed all seem to be more than acceptable and above what people in general were hoping for.

I don't have my copy yet, as I'm still waiting on the PAL release. Hopefully soon though! :)

The game looks great, but plays like shit (online). I've emptied entire clips into enemies and they haven't died, only to turn around and knife me while I'm reloading. It's ridiculous.

Rich!

Chuck said:
The game looks great, but plays like shit (online). I've emptied entire clips into enemies and they haven't died, only to turn around and knife me while I'm reloading. It's ridiculous.

I'd say that could also be down to the fact that anyone with homebrew/usb loader on their wii can play with cheats online. I've come across people space-jumping, and infinite boosting in Mario Kart before due to this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
KageMaru said:
That's not really fair. Scaled down, low res version is a fitting style for the system. I think it looks great considering the hardware it's running on. We certainly didn't see shooters last gen with this much action going on.

I have no idea what to make of this post. Call of Duty is Call of Duty. Seriously, what would you have had them do to make the visual style more "fitting"?
I'm not suggesting a cell shaded game or anything, rather, stick with designing artwork that is more friendly to the hardware.

For example, we know the Wii could not display this game with full world shadows, right? They should have attempted to create some artistically pre-lit shadow maps instead to fake them instead. What they ended up doing is delivering a half baked attempt at shadows that simply results in a flat looking scene.

Look at the visuals of something like MGS2. I don't expect the team responsible for porting this game to the Wii to match up to a game like that, but they could definitely take some lessons. The Tanker starts with what appears to be nice reflections on the deck, rich shadows, and a lot of other subtle details. If you break these effects apart they are all very simplistic tricks that exploit the strengths of the hardware to give the impression of a more complicated scene.

When you attempt to duplicate techniques used on more powerful hardware on a weaker platform you end up with ugly results.

They could have delivered this game with its own visual flair so that it might even appeal to people who also play on 360, PS3, or PC. If you own one of those platforms, the Wii version isn't worth a look, but if they had delivered something a bit different, things may have been different.

It looks good considering how it was likely developed, but I think it's selling the platform short. The Wii could do better.

fernoca

Disguises said:
Ah well, wasn't expecting local co-op anyway :p. I think the L button you mention is just to mute all people talking (At least, it was in Black Ops).

Anyone post online numbers, please?
Yeah, checking now it just says 'Voice Chat: On/Off'.

2,070 people right now.

So far, my only problem with online is that I suck, :p ...but haven't experienced much lag or other problems (or cheaters)...yet.

EDIT:
:O!
Won my first match! Granted I was "the worst one" at my team, but killed more than 1 which is what I usually set out to do (killed 6!! :p)

StevieP

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm not suggesting a cell shaded game or anything, rather, stick with designing artwork that is more friendly to the hardware.

For example, we know the Wii could not display this game with full world shadows, right? They should have attempted to create some artistically pre-lit shadow maps instead to fake them instead. What they ended up doing is delivering a half baked attempt at shadows that simply results in a flat looking scene.

Look at the visuals of something like MGS2. I don't expect the team responsible for porting this game to the Wii to match up to a game like that, but they could definitely take some lessons. The Tanker starts with what appears to be nice reflections on the deck, rich shadows, and a lot of other subtle details. If you break these effects apart they are all very simplistic tricks that exploit the strengths of the hardware to give the impression of a more complicated scene.

When you attempt to duplicate techniques used on more powerful hardware on a weaker platform you end up with ugly results.

These Wii versions are ported by teams with less than like... a dozen people.

They could have delivered this game with its own visual flair so that it might even appeal to people who also play on 360, PS3, or PC. If you own one of those platforms, the Wii version isn't worth a look, but if they had delivered something a bit different, things may have been different.

It controls better than the 360/PS3 versions and removes some of the shittier killstreaks. PC version you may have an argument.

Boerseun

Banned
dark10x said:

It looks good considering how it was likely developed, but I think it's selling the platform short. The Wii could do better.

Fair enough, I agree with you that more resources and a greater dedication to exploiting the Wii's graphical strengths and weaknesses would have resulted in a better looking game. but you're opening a whole new can of worms with this second to last paragraph!

dark10x said:

That's a very presumptious thing to say! :) Not just because you are presuming to know what people look for in a game, but also because this very thread, combined with the 1million+ sales of every Call of Duty game released on Wii so far, prove that the Wii version does indeed deliver something a bit different. And don't presume that the people buying the Wii version don't own alternative platforms. I bought Modern Warfare on Wii, Modern Warfare 2 on Ps3 and Black Ops on PC. I'm going back to Wii for Modern Warfare 3 (and this week I've put in an order for the Wii version of Black Ops), because first person shooting and Wii controls is a match made in heaven.

Immersiveness, in my experience, comes down to a lot more than just what gets thrown up on the screen. And Wii is unbeatable in this aspect of putting you there through its control system. You really should try it. Take a few minutes to set the controls to your liking. You may just find yourself converted to Wii's charms.

Top Bottom