• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDY_098

FIA rejects claims that Mercedes's rear wing is illegal
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98248

Discussions between the FIA and all the teams involved have taken place throughout Thursday in the Sepang paddock, but the governing body has not changed its stance on the matter.

The FIA informed the outfits that it remains convinced that the concept is legal because it is passive, and there is nothing in the rules that outlaws a device that is activated by movement of the DRS.

Shaneus

Did we ever guess your team name?
Ahaha, I don't think so! It's "La Barbilla Gloriosa F1".
Glorious Chin F1
Speaking of which, here's one of the pictures my brother managed to score of Webgod last Sunday:
6852168140_157d46c48c_b.jpg

One of Ricciardo
And, a man of contradictions... draped in an Australian flag, Webber t-shirt, STR Ricciardo cap and Vettel finger:
6852398454_1393685946_c.jpg

I'll post links to the full galleries once I get my brother's OK (haven't asked yet).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I don't care for rain especially this weekend. I want a crystal clear indication of where all the teams are pace wise.

Gone are the days when rain was needed to add excitement to a race. DRS and KERS has dealt with that issue, regardless of how artificial it feels.

Risgroo

I guess it's too much to hope for somewhat reasonable amounts of rain, not a fucking monsoon? I really want a full race without red flags, wet races are always fun.

Edmond Dantès;36250740 said:
I don't care for rain especially this weekend. I want a crystal clear indication of where all the teams are pace wise.

Gone are the days when rain was needed to add excitement to a race. DRS and KERS has dealt with that issue, regardless of how artificial it feels.

It adds EXTRA excitement!

Septimius

I'm with LowKeyedUp. It'd be frustrating if it was raining this weekend, since we all want to get a clearer picture of where teams are. But man, I'd be a fun race with so many close teams and no idea where everyone is in the rain.

I don't even want to mention the rainmaster!

I'm quite looking forward to seeing the all cars in a proper wet setup. It's been a while since we've had the chance to see that because usually it's on and off rain and no-one is 100% sure it's going to rain on race day.

It's looking reasonably sure here... but who knows.

Risgroo

Edmond Dantès;36250794 said:
Wet races ruin the racing and take away the spectacle and glory of F1 cars going at full pelt around a circuit.

Nah, I absolutely love seeing the drivers struggling like crazy to keep the cars ponting in the right direction. While wet races get tiring after a while, it's good having a few over the season.
Though I do understand why you want a dry race this early in the season, I really want to know how the McLaren performs in high-speed corners.

Omiee

Rain will make it far more exciting than a dry race. Vettel and shumi would be battling it out with button real close to those two with alonso. To be honest i cant see rosberg raikonnen or hamilton really racing for the win if its a real wet race.

Septimius

Yeah, really. All the races cancelled early the last years feel to me to always have been Malaysia. Here's to hoping the new rule about race-length including red flagged parts doesn't come into play.

Dilly

Banned
Rain will make it far more exciting than a dry race. Vettel and shumi would be battling it out with button real close to those two with alonso. To be honest i cant see rosberg raikonnen or hamilton really racing for the win if its a real wet race.

Again, why not Hamilton?

Septimius

And Alonso does?

We were discussing the same thing a few days ago, Hamilton is a good driver in the wet, when he hasn't got his panties in a bunch.

I'd say Button, Schumacher and Vettel will make it a close race. Hamilton is not earnest in the rain, but I just don't have him pegged as exceptional.

Adamm

Yeah, really. All the races cancelled early the last years feel to me to always have been Malaysia. Here's to hoping the new rule about race-length including red flagged parts doesn't come into play.

Apart from Canada last year I cant think of any race ever lasting more than 4 hours. The only reason that rule was introduced was because of Canada 2011, its unlikely that we will ever need it again.

So I wouldnt worry about this weekends race being cut short.

EDIT: Also this thread is way to active these days! Takes me ages to catch up on posts :p

If its not Kimi's its the Hulk's..

*starts collecting bets*

I think you guys are underestimating Hamilton's ability in the wet. In my opinion, the mistakes he's made are no different to those he would make on a dry track.

operon

I think you guys are underestimating Hamilton's ability in the wet. In my opinion, the mistakes he's made are no different to those he would make on a dry track.

Its not his abilty that is the problem its his temperament, when he needs the calmness and not force a move when it can wait the next corner etc thats his downfall

Mohonky

When i read your posts in this thread, i often think you're just taking the piss.....

slmkay

Banned
I'd say Button, Schumacher and Vettel will make it a close race. Hamilton is not earnest in the rain, but I just don't have him pegged as exceptional.

Are you and omiee trolling, seriously?

Hamilton has the single most dominant performance in the wet (Silverstone 2008) since Senna in the early 90s and Schumacher in 96 (Spain). Another highlight was Fuji 2007. Monza 2008 too... considering he was on track to win the race, had it not stop raining.

He's been regularly faster than Button on wet weather (was catching up to him in China 2010 at the end, was faster than him in the wet in Australia 2010, was faster than him and won at Spa 2010 (nearly got pole on a track with mixed conditions whereas Webber had had a dry run before - he was the only one who improved in that mixed conditions run), was faster than Button in Korea 2010 in the wet, was faster than Button in the wet in Canada 2011 before they collided, etc.). I could go on and on.

Hamilton is as every bit as good as Vettel in the rain. Button, I'd say is more of a mixed conditions guy - he's got a good feel for when to change tyres (wet -> dry, dry -> wet), which helped him win China and Australia 2010. But in the pure wet, he's nothing spectacular and his driving style, light on tyres in the dry/mixed, is hurting him very much in the full wet, as he's always ending up pitting before Lewis to put on new rubber.

Berto

Hamilton has won like 4/5 races (and a couple of great races that didn't won like Monza and Spa 08 ) in the wet, i'll say he is a fairly competent driver in the rain. Silverstone 08 and Fuji 07 were complete floods and those were very impressive wins. Yeah he made some mistakes in the wet, but so has Vettel.

slmkay

Banned
In the wet though, are there any examples of this other than Montreal 2011?

He's rarely made mistakes in the wet. Even in that rain-stopped 2009 Malaysian GP with a dog of a MP4-24, he still finished in the points and had a nice duel with Webber for position (Vettel, Kovalainen spun their way out of the race).

slmkay

Banned
Hamilton has won like 4/5 races (and a couple of great races that didn't won like Monza and Spa 08 ) in the wet, i'll say he is a fairly competent driver in the rain. Silverstone 08 and Fuji 07 were complete floods and those were very impressive wins. Yeah he made some mistakes in the wet, but so has Vettel.

He did win Spa 2008, though 'unofficially'. Still a travesty, 3 1/2 years later. You can't really say Massa won that one considering he lost like 15 seconds in 2 wet laps around Spa. I wouldn't base an argument that Massa is a great wet-weather driver on that Spa 'win'.

ANDY_098

It was only a matter of time before this thread turned into arguments about Hamilton...

GP2 starts this weekend, anyone else watching?

It was only a matter of time before this thread turned into arguments about Hamilton...

GP2 starts this weekend, anyone else watching?

The nice thing about each race is that it settles the current argument at least for a day. Then a new one sweeps into the vacuum.

It's a little irritating that you guys are jumping on this discussion like it's a massive argument that's ruining the thread in some way. Maybe that's how it's gone down in the past, but if we can't discuss certain drivers just because they split opinion then what's the point of this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom