• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Vigil Games (2005-2013)

Can someone with some industry knowledge give us some details? Was Vigil a horrible managed studio? Did nearly all the talent already leave? There must be a reason why it wasnt valuable enough.

Rootbeer

Banned
were darksiders and darksiders II really such big sales disappointments that no interest was generated? they are strong games, and decent zeldalikes are hard to come by.

Even if they did,why not just make it on a smaller budget?the IP is a bit popular.

Because if you make a game that looks like it isn't a AAA title, consumers are going to designate it as B-Tier trash and ignore it.

The problem with this generation is not necessarily ballooning budgets, but rather incredibly high ceilings that are considered the new standard.

This makes no bloody sense, why wouldn't anyone buy them?

Maybe we can hope that someone resurrects Darksiders with as many as the original guys as possible, like Bayonetta did.

Duffyside

Banned
The lack of support Darksiders II got from gamers still baffles me to no end.

People complain about games not having enough content in them, and Darksiders II handled that and then some. Loot, leveling up, leveling up of loot, sidequests, side-dungeons, a combat system that's nearly as good as dedicated 3D action game, fantastic voice-acting, and freaking New Game Plus.

... We did this, you guys. ... It's our fault.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

People complain about games not having enough content in them, and Darksiders II handled that and then some. Loot, leveling up, leveling up of loot, sidequests, side-dungeons, a combat system that's nearly as good as dedicated 3D action game, fantastic voice-acting, and freaking New Game Plus.

Nope not my fault I promoted the game and played the shit out of it.

Sid

Because if you make a game that looks like it isn't a AAA title, consumers are going to designate it as B-Tier trash and ignore it.

The problem with this generation is not necessarily ballooning budgets, but rather incredibly high ceilings that are considered the new standard.
Word of mouth would help if the game is good,just look at Demon's Souls and even now if they revert to the production values of Darksiders 1,which weren't anything special in the first place,they can still get decent sales at least.

I bought the game and I just plain didn't think it was that good.

I loved it up through the Guardian and then I felt like it started to go downhill and then just fell off a cliff after that.

No. Budgeting and designing a game that 2 million sales couldnt turn a profit on was their undoing. Fuck this gen man.

18-Volt

Fuck next generation. If it will keep on killing actual good studios, I don't want it to come. I'll be happy with my handhelds.

I bought the game and I just plain didn't think it was that good.

I loved it up through the Guardian and then I felt like it started to go downhill and then just fell off a cliff after that.

Same here. Vigil had all these great ideas and systems yet none of them came together to make a fun experience. That said I'd still like to see the brand continue in some form.

Aru

I've yet to play Darksiders 2, but damn. I'm very sad :(
Very talented developers and a great IP.
I hope they find a place in another studio and find a way to buy Darksiders rights !

Sorian

Banned
I'm pretty sure Darksiders will be bought as a stand alone IP at the very least. It's an easy game to make, doubt it'll just die.

I honestly can't believe that no one purchased these dudes. I would hate to be in that office today. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Cmagus

Sony should have picked them up and given Sony Santa Monica Darksiders and the team considering God of War they could have done something with it and the talent.

george_us

Despite its flaws, I had a MUCH better time with Darksiders 2 than the first game. Some excellent dungeons, much better combat, and an amazing soundtrack. Plus the art style was fucking beautiful.

Absolute shame about Vigil.

Violet_0

Banned
Darksiders 2 did some really cool things, but suffered from a number of bizarre design choices. Can't say I cared much about the first game

I won't miss the Darksider universe (really not), but Vigil Games has shown to be quite capable at making a quality Zelda-esque series. Too bad they didn't get another chance

Nokterian

Time to play D2 then. Bought it last year but after there fiasco for not having pc options was a big let down. But now it is the time i guess just to try it.

Top Bottom