• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 vs XBOX One: Developer Comments Compiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterego

Thought I'd compile all developer comments so far and put them in chronological order.
Should be interesting to see how / if comments change as time goes by and new information becomes available.

• 22 May 2013 - Jonathan Blow [The Witness]

A3JL4HS.png

• 23 May 2013 - Linus Blomberg [Just Cause Studios]

"It's difficult to say, as it's still early days when it comes to drivers," Blomberg said. "With each new driver release, performance increases dramatically in some areas. The PlayStation 4 environment is definitely more mature currently, so Microsoft has some catching up to do. But I'm not too concerned about that as they traditionally have been very good in that area.

"The specs on paper would favor the PS4 over the Xbox One in terms of raw power, but there are many other factors involved so we’ll just have to wait and see a bit longer before making that judgment," he added.

• 15 June 2013 - Anonymous

In talking to a developer who wished to remain anonymous, gamers will see a difference on Day One when they compare third party PS4 games to Xbox One head-to-head.

The developer told me the PS4 is 40 percent more powerful than Xbox One and games like Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.

• 02 August 2013 - John Carmack [ex id Software]

"... it's almost amazing how close they are in capabilities, how common they are and uh that the capabilities they give are essentially the same. We can talk about differences in memory architectures, but, the bottom line being that they're a multicore AMD processor with AMD graphics, is, it's almost weird how close they are."

"Now everyone would like me to come out with some, some A over B comparison about the 2 platforms, and to be completely honest, I haven't done really rigorous benchmarking on them, so even if I didn't have NDA protection I couldn't give you a really completely honest answer. But, they're very close. They're both very good."

• 21 August 2013 - Marcus Nilsson [Ghost Games - Need For Speed Rivals]

“What we’re seeing with the consoles are actually that they are a little bit more powerful than we thought for a really long time – especially one of them, but I’m not going to tell you which one," Nilsson told VideoGamer.com at Gamescom earlier today.

“And that makes me really happy. But in reality, I think we’re going to have both those consoles pretty much on parity – maybe one sticking up a little bit. And I think that one will look as good as the PC.”

Nilsson chose not to answer when asked whether he was referring to the PS4 version.

Pushing him on the subject further, I asked: “Does that mean that the PS4 version of Rivals will look better than the Xbox One version?”

“I think that both consoles will look pretty much on parity,” he replied, “but one of them might stick up a little bit.”

• 23 August 2013 - Anton Yudintsev [Gaijin Entertainment - War Thunder]

AY: Well, obviously PlayStation 4 is more powerful than Xbox One.

How much more powerful?

AY: It depends what you’re doing. GPU, like 40 per cent more powerful. DDR5 is basically 50 per cent more powerful than DDR3, but the memory write is bigger on Xbox One so it depends on what you’re doing.

How is that going to translate to on-screen results for the kinds of games you want to make? So to optimise War Thunder on both consoles you could hypothetically make a better, prettier version on PS4?

AY: Yep.

• 06 September 2013 - Adrian Chmielarz [ex People Can Fly - Gears of War Judgment]

PMW0KPs.png

Here I am. So...

1. I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second.

2. Will this change in the future? WIll devs discover some tricks to narrow the gap? Will stuff like XO cloud computing help? Hell if I know. Uhm, maybe? I know that devs -- well, most of them -- will do whatever they can do get you the best games possible. You're going to see a lot of multiplatform games this next gen, just as you've seen them in this gen, so it's in studios' best interest that there's no clear advantage in one version over the other.

3. Does it mean studios will cripple PS4 versions to match XO ones? Not really, do not underestimate the devs. Even if this happens, you will not know that and that's okay. You've never seen most games in their most powerful form anyway (when we work on them on our ninja dev PCs in 1080p 120fps with all the antialiasings and stuff turned on for shits and giggles). But most of the time devs have a target and they meet this target. If it's a multiplatform game, it's designed with this in mind from the start. So maybe it's not maxing out one console while going 100% on the other. Maybe it's 100% on both, but they take extra time for super-extra optimizations on the weaker hardware to make sure things look the same as on the more powerful platform. Etc. etc.

4. So what is that "one thing" I want to clarify, that some people may consider "damage control", but really is just an explanation. Someone mentioned Titanfall, which looks money and enjoys a great hype. Exactly. A great dev will make a great game no matter what's the hardware. Current gen CoDs looks great and it's 60 fps, on both platforms (well, and PC :). To most devs that is just impossible to achieve. And yet...

Think about it this way. X360 is faster than PS3. Not just easier to program on, it's faster overall (although PS is faster/better in SOME areas). And yet no exclusive on X360 looks like The Last of Us. Halo 4 looks great. Gears blew my mind in 2006. And still, the best looking AAA game of this generation belongs to the supposedly weaker platform.

So if you think that the war is over because PS4 is 50% faster TODAY, then you're delusional. This is far from over, and will probably never be over, at least not this upcoming gen.

Let me know if I've missed any...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Great idea for a thread. I'd much rather listen to what third party developers are saying than anyone else.

Jack_AG

Banned
I take it this is a thread response to Al's assertion that he knows devs who say otherwise and my question to him asking him to out the devs as some have gone on record saying the opposite of what he claims?

Fair enough. I'll bite. Will be interesting to see 3rd party devs come up saying the opposite of the above.

My popcorn is ready.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Yep. I can't see the point of this thread. We already know that PS4 is more powerful then Xbox One and nothing in those comments gives us a clear idea how much more powerful. That is the key element that isn't detailed in any of those comments.

Mung

Surely it is clear that ps4 is more powerful... you can see that just from the specs. This has been clear for some time now. I sense though that this thread is a trap.... backout!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

Nailed it.

Seriously, everyone who's prepared to listen already knows and understands that the PS4 is more powerful. Everyone who argues against it at this point is just someone you wont be able to convince.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Baaad idea.

Not really. If we really want to discuss this before the consoles are out then we should listen to what devs that aren't exclusive are saying. Keep first party guys out of it and things will be substantially less inflammatory.

bj00rn_

Banned
Surely it is clear that ps4 is more powerful... you can see that just from the specs. This has been clear for some time now. I sense though that this thread is a trap.... backout!

Of course it is a trap. One click on his post history and we already know what the content is before reading it.

Lynn616

We know the PS4 has the more powerful hardware. Some of those comments make it seem like the difference in games will be small.

turk3y

Banned
it might be more interesting to hear from middleware (and engine) developers as most games will make use of these solutions and its these which will be highly tailored for each architecture.

Given Microsoft's push on audio and the details we know about its custom audio chip it would be nice to get some audio devs to speak up about their craft, as "power" its not all triangles and texels.

miked808

Nailed it.

Seriously, everyone who's prepared to listen already knows and understands that the PS4 is more powerful. Everyone who argues against it at this point is just someone you wont be able to convince.

This sums it up pretty well me thinks.

I am surprised you left out Technical Fellow's comments. He is not a developer, but really gives a great break down of the mathemagics that make both systems at least equal.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Great idea for a thread. I'd much rather listen to what third party developers are saying than anyone else.

+1 this. No matter what games writers, analysts and even PR says, videogame makers are the most important voices when it comes to tech discussions.

They know the actual ins and outs of these things and let's face it, even if you're given the best paint set in the world but you paint like crap, it doesn't matter, right? :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
We know the PS4 has the more powerful hardware. Some of those comments make it seem like the difference in games will be small.

Most of those comments from from developers working on cross gen games. Those will have very little difference between the two machines since both are so much more capable than current gen. It won't be until full next gen development begins that we'll see real differences.

Yep. I can't see the point of this thread. We already know that PS4 is more powerful then Xbox One and nothing in those comments gives us a clear idea how much more powerful. That is the key element that isn't detailed in any of those comments.
I think you have a collection of comments from people who do not want to burn bridges.

It would not be wise to reply to an interviewer's question 'yes the PS4 is so much better than the Xbox One, frankly anyone wanting the best version of our game should not buy an Xbox One'.

That wouldn't make your business relations with MS very nice. Especially as they're happy to flash the cash lately.

To me what is more telling is the Xbox One guy, admitting the difference is there but dismissing its relevance as the Xbox One games look like the games he plays on his/her PC.

To me that's like saying 'yes the PS4 will look a lot better, but it doesn't matter because the Xbox One will still be looking good', without actually admitting you are weaker.

Cornbread78

LOL, this thread:

images

I love to read the comments, but we are never going to get anything straight forward from a full 3rd party dev. They would not sever their relationship with Sony or MS to spout off about which system was better...

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Pretty much, although NDAs will certainly prohibit any direct, firm performance comparisons.

eastmen

Banned
The majority of these are pre clock speed upgrades and pre driver upgrades. Will wait for games. COD GHOST should tell the tail since they claim it will be obvious it looks better.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The majority of these are pre clock speed upgrades and pre driver upgrades. Will wait for games. COD GHOST should tell the tail since they claim it will be obvious it looks better.

We've only seen PC footage of Ghosts and it only looks slightly better than the last few CoD games on current gen. BF4 might be a good metric, though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

You're right. Let's just wait for MSFT's "Fellow" write up to really have us guessing and questioning ourselves and these devs.

eastmen

Banned
We've only seen PC footage of Ghosts and it only looks slightly better than the last few CoD games on current gen. BF4 might be a good metric, though.

Why would a game that isn't mentioned in the above quotes be a good metric ?

COD Ghosts is specificly mentioned as a game we will see a difference in. If there is no difference in favor of the ps4 then we should be able to move on.

•15 June 2013 - Anonymous

In talking to a developer who wished to remain anonymous, gamers will see a difference on Day One when they compare third party PS4 games to Xbox One head-to-head.

The developer told me the PS4 is 40 percent more powerful than Xbox One and games like Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.

Good idea for a thread, but I think any serious discussion is going to be lost once the GIFS start appearing.

What is clear is that very few developers are prepared to go on the record with how much better the PS4 specs are. This is totally understandable as they will be working closely with both MS and Sony next gen. Also its telling that no developer has said the Xbox One has better performance.

We are only going to see a difference once the games start to be released, as developers will only show the best version before release. Digital Foundry should be interesting in November.

Ushae

Banned
Why do people care about the hardware so much? We'll get great looking games either platform. Man some people are truly 'invested' in these platforms lol.

Why would a game that isn't mentioned in the above quotes be a good metric ?

COD Ghosts is specificly mentioned as a game we will see a difference in. If there is no difference in favor of the ps4 then we should be able to move on.
Would you risk your life over an anonymous source from a Forbes article?

I know I wouldn't, I'd have ran out of my cat lives already.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Why do people care about the hardware so much? We'll get great looking games either platform. Man some people are truly 'invested' in these platforms lol.

I think we accept what we know but you have read Albert's comments right? They speak for themselves considering he works for MSFT.

Let's just see what equivalent comments from Shu or Boyes would do for the community. Just as disruptive to the conversation, they would be. Had to channel my inner Yoda for that last sentence.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The stronger the weakest console the better games on all the other platforms will be.

There is no downside to having a higher baseline, except for price which drives adoption. In this case the weakest console is also the most expensive, so it's a curious situation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I'm interested in the tech that powers games and I want to know exactly what to expect out of each console before going in.

x-Lundz-x

We all know the PS4 is better on a pure hardware standpoint. No one can deny that and anyone who does is just blinded by their loyalty to certain companies.

No, how this translates into real world performance remains to be seen. Personally I think as usual the first party studios on PS4 are going to be above and beyond anything MS can produce. As far as third parties go, the launch games may not be that much different at all but I think as time goes on you are going to see differences in performance such as better IQ on PS4 or overall more consistent frame rates etc...

I can only imagine the bloodbath if games come out and are locked 30FPS on both systems but one is 720P and the other is 1080P.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think we accept what we know but you have read Albert's comments right? They speak for themselves considering he works for MSFT.

Let's just see what equivalent comments from Shu or Boyes would do for the community. Just as disruptive to the conversation, they would be. Had to channel my inner Yoda for that last sentence.
I sincerely doubt that Shu or Boyes calling the PS4 40% more powerful would be 'as disruptive' as Mr Penello's 'expectation management' attempts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom