• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Aggressive vegans" are putting off people from changing eating habits, study finds

Veganism has emerged as the fastest growing lifestyle trends in recent years, with celebrities and fitness fans flocking to the diet in droves.

But according to new research, so-called ‘aggressive' vegans could be putting meat eaters off making the switch to a plant-based lifestyle.

A study of 2,363 meat-eating Britons found that 26 per cent of carnivores are put off changing their eating habits due to ”the attitude of certain vegetarians/vegans."

Two thirds of those surveyed said they'd considered becoming vegan or vegetarian in the past year, saying the health benefits and seeing animal cruelty footage on the internet were big factors in pushing them to make the switch.

However, when quizzed on why they were still eating meat, more than a quarter cited other vegans as a reason not to revise their diet.

More at: https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyl...-off-giving-up-meat-study-finds-a3608861.html

Throw my male babies on a conveyor belt and grind them alive if old

People don't like being told they're assholes.

News at 11.

Edit: My comments was directed at all those assclown vegans who go around proclaiming themselves superior to everyone else and calling you a monster for eating meat.

Who the fuck wants to put up with that?

Fox Mulder

How much money was needed to discover something that has always been true.

Eat whatever you want, but vegans always come off as pretentious assholes.

my cousins wife cannot be in the same house if theres food that isnt 100% vegan being eaten or cooked. she will leave and sit outside during meals.

painted a pretty sour picture of vegans for them

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
There are people with shitty attitudes in every facet of life, something not unique to vegans. With that said, if a vegan put you off from changing your diet because of a bad attitude, then you really didn't care to change it to begin with, similar to people in this past election who refused to vote for one candidate because of the attitude of his or her supporters, regardless of that candidate's qualities.

Idiots everywhere. You either like the lifestyle or not. Don't blame assholes for not wanting to eat healthier.

No one needed a study to figure this one out.

Nothing turns people away from a cause faster than holier than thou dicks and vegans have a lot of those.

Being Vegan, yeah, there's absolutely some of this out there.

There's also a weirdly hostile online presence of folks who hate the mere existence of vegans. My fiancé and I have both, just by casually mentioning our veganism on Twitter, been harassed by people sending us pictures of things like cheeseburgers and slabs of meat. As if we're some kind of emotionally unstable children who don't live in a world where we see people eating meat at every waking moment, or have never eaten meat ourselves. Lol.

the1npc

my cousins wife cannot be in the same house if theres food that isnt 100% vegan being eaten or cooked. she will leave and sit outside during meals.

painted a pretty sour picture of vegans for them

I have quite a few vegan friends and none are remotely like this.

Pinkuss

Seriously, speaking for all of us. And from our point of view meat eaters all come off as abusive areholes who many of us hide the fact we're Vegan so we don't get abuse from them...

KHarvey16

This seems more like a study of perceptions of vegans as opposed to any actual aggressiveness of vegans.

But on the rare occasion I need to deal with an aggressive vegan I find small handheld fans or slight inclines keep them safely at bay.

tenor.gif

I've luckily never met these type of people. Worry about yourself.

Always find this shit so stupid. Racist people breathe air..am I supposed to hold my breath in protest? lol. Who cares about the extreme folks? Why should that stop me from doing anything? Fuck not eating meat tho..

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I've never met an aggressive vegan but a lot of people on the internet talk about them so they must be real and annoying.

SexyFish

Banned
Had a roommate try and tell us we couldn't cook meat in our dorm due to his vegan diet. Needless to say our RA set him straight while me and my other roomie made tasty sirloins.

So yeah, don't try and control other people.

There are people with shitty attitudes in every facet of life, something not unique to vegans. With that said, if a vegan put you off from changing your diet because of a bad attitude, then you really didn't care to change it to begin with, similar to people in this past election who refused to vote for one candidate because of the attitude of his or her supporters, regardless of that candidate's qualities.

Idiots everywhere. You either like the lifestyle or not. Don't blame assholes for not wanting to eat healthier.

The vegan lifestyle isn't proven to be "healthier". Eating meat in moderation is very beneficial. For example you don't have to take supplements to get your B12

Pinkuss

The vegan lifestyle isn't proven to be "healthier". Eating meat in moderation is very beneficial. For example you don't have to take supplements to get your B12

Animals are largely fed B12 so it's technically not true. We're just supplementing ourselves instead of a third party. Also many health organisations are recommending a plant based diet. Anyways not sure this is a Veganism debate, it's on the argumentative side (which this site has lots of evidence on the other side of).

KAL-MAXCalcium-Iron-Vitamin-D3-B12-Suspension.jpg

Anti-vegans in this thread come off as the aggressive party to me. Who are these strawman vegans that are out to get you? Like wow, someone doesn't like eating meat. Why is that an existential threat to you? Cause you don't want to think of thigns being any different from your status quo? I say this as a straight up meat eater who would never consider going vegan. But I also have never felt so fragile that I have to rage against them.

RDreamer

Most of these people probably weren't actually going to change their habits and felt a bit guilty about it but are looking for an easy excuse. It's the same as the election bullshit.

In my life I've seen a ridiculous amount more asshole meat eaters toward vegans/vegetarians than I've ever had the other way around. Like, it's not even remotely fucking close.

watershed

Banned
I'm not British but this seems like one of those problems that lives in people's minds rather than in reality. "Oh, those people want me to change my lifestyle? NEVER!"

I live in super liberal Seattle where vegans are so common just about every good restaurant has legit vegan options, supermarkets have vegan specific signage, and there is an entire industry around vegan foods and even vegan only restaurants. I've never experienced this "aggressive vegan" phenomenon.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
There are folks around that believe vegans should never be criticised and be commended for just existing.

I'd be a vegan or vegetarian, except, meat is really delicious.

You don't need to be a vegan to support ethical and humane animal farming practices in the food industry though. I want my burgers and steaks to be happy and content on their way to my plate.

Not wrong. I'm certain a vegan will argue though.

I've never met an aggressive vegan but a lot of people on the internet talk about them so they must be real and annoying.

They are, but they're plenty harmless. Can just be annoying, at times..make parties at the crib a pain in the ass because you've gotta make separate accommodations for them to even show up lol..

pigeon

Banned
As a staunch carnivore who gets uncomfortable eating meals that don't contain at least some meat, I think this study is mostly just evidence that people lie all the time.

I don't believe that there are actually people who would become vegans if other vegans didn't seem like dicks. I totally believe that there are people who lie and say that, yeah, they'd be vegans, but other vegans are just too rude.

I wonder how many of these vegans are real and how many are ones that exist in made-up stories, like the aggressive anti-Christian professor that is apparently a scourge in the mind of fundamentalist America.

Slayven

Nothign rolls my eyes hard enough then people that make everything about their diet.

"I have a gluten allergy. so can you make sure it is organic?"

Fool I just saw you eat a whole sack of crazy bread by yourself.

Pinkuss

They are, but they're plenty harmless. Can just be annoying, at times..make parties at the crib a pain in the ass because you've gotta make separate accommodations for them to even show up lol..

Errr, I've never had this in 11 years (and 15 years being Veggie).

A few of my best friends are vegan and they aren't obnoxious about it at all. Mark it with feminism and atheism where a cartoonish extreme is taken as the typical example.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would guess the perception of asshole vegans is probably more substantial than actual asshole vegans, unless you live in one of those max hipster urban enclaves on the West coast.

Servbot24

Banned

No they don't. There are a couple that come off as assholes and then you decided that all of them must be that way.

Anyways, anyone who makes their life decisions based on not liking someone who also happens to belong to that group is an idiot.

lmao.

way to validate the OP

Ummm, thats what I was trying to do?

My comments was directed at all those assclown vegans who go around proclaiming themselves superior to everyone else and calling you a monster for eating meat.

Who the fuck wants to put up with that?

Do aggressive vegans hunt in packs? How do I defend myself from the onslaught of them ordering something else while I'm at a restaurant? When is it okay to use an anecdote about someone's shitheaded brother in law as license to blanket-judge every veggie eating hippie I see?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When I eat vegan meals, it is based on the merit of the food. Some of the more..."passionate" vegan advocates are annoying as fuck, but that's a separate issue. The same could be said about meat advocates being intentionally obtuse about their environmental impact from their heavily carnivorous lifestyle.

Top Bottom