• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious Question: What's the bump on Van Damme's forehead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamauchi

Banned
I'm sure we've all witnessed the growth of this object, which became quite pronounced starting with Wake of Death and has been featured in every film he has made since then. In the trailer for his next hit film Til Death ( here ) you can see it quite clearly. How do they plan to work around this for the next Rush Hour?

Ichirou

Banned
That's one of those things I've asked myself as well - wtf is that? Is it just the weird, deformed shape of his skull?

On the right side? I don't know. They should just scrape most the meat off of there and botox the hell out of it. "How duzzit fell... to be hunted!?" "I must be on broadway, aye'm steel kicking!"

The Take Out Bandit said:
Whoa - Van Damme is going to be in a Rush Hour sequel?

Is he back to playing bad guys?

That would actually be pretty awesome.

The sooner he accepts that he is no longer a headliner (which he should have realized YEARS ago), the sooner he might actually get a role or two in an actual movie. Even still, his roles would be pretty limited.

Yamauchi

Banned
Van Damme is playing the bad guy in Rush Hour 3. By the way, I read an interview last night. The bump is a cyst.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Whoa - Van Damme is going to be in a Rush Hour sequel?

Is he back to playing bad guys?
Yup, the movie is shooting in Paris right now. He's most likely going to be the main bad-guy. As cancerous as I found Rush Hour 2 to be, this gives me some hope that the sequel might end up being accidentally entertaining at least.
Verboten said:
"How duzzit fell... to be hunted!?"
Why the heck did I laugh at this?

Fusebox

Banned
I rofled at the thread heading, his bump is so conspicuous I cant believe I hadnt asked the same question before.

Anyway its handy coz everytime he has to play his twin-brother/himself from the past/future then they just use makeup to hide it on one of the characters and if I wasnt at work on dialup right now I'd stuff this thread good with JCVD dancing gifs.

Ichirou

Banned
Yamauchi said:
Van Damme is playing the bad guy in Rush Hour 3. By the way, I read an interview last night. The bump is a cyst.

wtf doesn't he just get it removed, or drained, or whatever? It's kinda gross.

Ichirou_Oogami said:
wtf doesn't he just get it removed, or drained, or whatever? It's kinda gross.

Looks like a steatoma (also known as a sebaceous or keratinous cyst), which is usually filled with either fluid (serosanguinous fluid) or tissue (comprised of mostly keratin and some calcium deposits). In either case, complete removal of the cystic mass (including the cyst wall) is required, or the cyst will frequently recur.

Perhaps Van Damme was worried (My pretty face!) about scarring as a result of the surgical procedure to drain and/or remove the cystic mass?

BlackMage

Banned
Uremifasolasiututut said:
Looks like a steatoma (also known as a sebaceous or keratinous cyst), which is usually filled with either fluid (serosanguinous fluid) or tissue (comprised of mostly keratin and some calcium deposits). In either case, complete removal of the cystic mass (including the cyst wall) is required, or the cyst will frequently recur.

Perhaps Van Damme was worried (My pretty face!) about scarring as a result of the surgical procedure to drain and/or remove the cystic mass?

or maybe he can't afford it

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
200px-Double_team.PNG

Ichirou

Banned
Uremifasolasiututut said:

He doesn't have to worry about that anymore. You seen how he looks lately? Dude is getting ooooold. :lol

Pellham

Banned
eh yeah he'd have a pretty nasty scar if he got it removed. i can see why he'd prefer to just leave it as a bump on his forehead.

Pellham said:
eh yeah he'd have a pretty nasty scar if he got it removed. i can see why he'd prefer to just leave it as a bump on his forehead.

He could easily have it lanced and drained...wouldn't leave a scar at all. Might fill up every few months or may once a year, but preferable to being a mutant unicorn.

Yamauchi

Banned
His wife has apparently told him to get it removed, but he doesn't listen(?). JCVD is a man of many mysteries.

Here are some recent pics:

vandamme02.jpg

02.jpg

07.jpg

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
It does indeed look like a sebaceous cyst. My dad had one of those for a few years ago and had it taken out. He didn't have any scarring as a result as far as I know.

Raiden said:
*bump*

vand01.jpg

FINALLY

:lol

SS4Gogita said:
It does indeed look like a sebaceous cyst. My dad had one of those for a few years ago and had it taken out. He didn't have any scarring as a result as far as I know.

A sebaceous cyst that lasted 20 years? I don't know dude... Once you pop one of those (they pop by themselves from the pressure of puss build up usually), you are left with a big cavity. I don't think it's a cyst. Probably hardened scar tissue from trauma.

Shogmaster said:
:lol

A sebaceous cyst that lasted 20 years? I don't know dude... Once you pop one of those (they pop by themselves from the pressure of puss build up usually), you are left with a big cavity. I don't think it's a cyst. Probably hardened scar tissue from trauma.

I believe they can last for decades, the only time they really pop themselves is if they get infected and there's a sudden buildup of puss (apart from the karatin). They are usually pretty stable although they can slowly grow over time. They do however sort of "ferment" while inside the cyst sac, so if a decades old cyst is drained, the smell will be ungodly (my mom was a nurse and told me that the cleaners couldn't remove it from the hospital room with javex for days, i had a small one on my eyebrow that she drained a couple of years ago, it was a 2/10 on the vandamme scale)

I just wanna give props to Van Damme for not going down the plastic surgery route and looking like an inexpressive muppet. I think he looks more whethered then he does old, and in his recent films its been an asset and not a detriment.

He's also finally learned to act BTW. Yeah, seriously, he can convincingly convey emotion nowadays, whoda thunk it?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
1) It's where he headbutts a tree in half for training everyday

2) That movie actually looks good, I'm amazed. Though, I feel like I just watched all of it.

3) He should play bad guys.

Ichirou

Banned
HyperZone<3 said:
I just wanna give props to Van Damme for not going down the plastic surgery route and looking like an inexpressive muppet. I think he looks more whethered then he does old, and in his recent films its been an asset and not a detriment.

He's also finally learned to act BTW. Yeah, seriously, he can convincingly convey emotion nowadays, whoda thunk it?

I've heard this 'he's learned to act' thing a lot, I want to see Til Death just to see if it's true.

And yeah, I'm glad he hasn't gone the plastic surgery route, but getting that shit drained is not plastic surgery, really. I bet the pus is super super smelly, too.

mamacint said:
He could easily have it lanced and drained...wouldn't leave a scar at all. Might fill up every few months or may once a year, but preferable to being a mutant unicorn.

Not always the case. I just had a giant cist removed from my back, and it was not liquid at all. It basically looked like a ball of fat when they showed it to me. They cant all be lanced. I had to get 4 stiches and there a very aparent scar, there not much else they can do. I imagin this is the case for Damme as well. Not everyone can get away with a facial scar like Joaquin Phoenix.:lol

Ichirou

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Not always the case. I just had a giant cist removed from my back, and it was not liquid at all. It basically looked like a ball of fat when they showed it to me. They cant all be lanced. I had to get 4 stiches and there a very aparent scar, there not much else they can do. I imagin this is the case for Damme as well. Not everyone can get away with a facial scar like Joaquin Phoenix.:lol

Did they let you keep it as your pet fat? :lol

Ichirou_Oogami said:
Did they let you keep it as your pet fat? :lol
lol nope. As soon as I saw it, it went straight in a jar and to the lab to figure out what the hell it was. I found out friday it was a cist; YES! BENIGN OH YEAHH! It had been there for a few years because I don't take care of my self. I almost miss it. I had name it 'david' after my boss, always riding my back!

Yamauchi

Banned
I watched the movie where Van Damme is an American agent fighting to protect the US embassy in 'Maldovia' from an uprising. It was pretty decent, but the special effects were horrible. Van Damme's best acting in recent years was Desert Heat (1999). Now that's an awesome film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom