• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Includes Free Xbox Live Gold Pass

FYI ExpertZone members get the demo on the 10th

qAak2.jpg

Is there a date on the demo or is it just sometime between now and March?

Feb 14th

inky

"In celebration of ME3, Xbox is pleased to provide fans access to ME3 demo multiplayer for the time leading to launch. Xbox LIVE Gold gives you exclusive benefits including multiplayer gaming, member-only deals & previews, and access to entertainment with Netflix, ESPN, Hulu Plus and more."

So I can finally link my Netflix account and get those 100 free points? Sweet. (or maybe it's like those 48 hrs. codes that do not allow you access to that stuff...)

Eusis

Is there supposed to be any other benefit to playing the demo? I'm hoping not because I'd rather just jump straight into ME3 when it comes out rather than retrace steps I did in a demo.

LiK

Is there supposed to be any other benefit to playing the demo? I'm hoping not because I'd rather just jump straight into ME3 when it comes out rather than retrace steps I did in a demo.

Kingdoms of Amalur ME armor unlocks.

rozay

Banned
Chris Priestly implied there would be a reward for the real game by playing the demo, the actual announcement will be on the 7th.

I believe they started verifying for a lot of things after the Reach beta lol
Lmao yeah. I took the course but it didn't say anything about early access a few weeks ago, I thought that there was something like the first thousand-something people to take it got the access. Is that still the case or are they opening it to all expertzone members?

Lmao yeah. I took the course but it didn't say anything about early access a few weeks ago, I thought that there was something like the first thousand-something people to take it got the access. Is that still the case or are they opening it to all expertzone members?

"*Limited to the first 60,000 users who take the Mass Effect 3 course. See below for more details."

So pretty much everyone there who have taken the time to verify their employment :p

DXV

Neo Member
Chris Priestly implied there would be a reward for the real game by playing the demo, the actual announcement will be on the 7th.
Bioware gives out all types of ridiculous DLC for a lot less, i'm sure it'll unlock some piece of armor or a weapon.

rozay

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phLGBo6ACNE

Developer commentary on what seems to be a pretty final version of the Sur'Kesh mission that'll be in the demo. I actually don't mind the new powers and weapon interfaces much, and I'm glad to see the omni-blade syncing to targets seems to work. Would've been completely useless otherwise. It's brief enough that it doesn't warrant its own thread and the only *spoilers* are the interfaces if you care about that, everything else has already been seen in the previous demos.

Ketch

So how long is the gold access?

Microsoft said:
"In celebration of ME3, Xbox is pleased to provide fans access to ME3 demo multiplayer for the time leading to launch. Xbox LIVE Gold gives you exclusive benefits including multiplayer gaming, member-only deals & previews, and access to entertainment with Netflix, ESPN, Hulu Plus and more."

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9135436/1

This kind of makes it sound like it's going to last from demo release to launch, that's kind of a long time.

Aren't multiplayer demos normally just not available? Does this say anything about how maybe gold is loosing subscribers?

Edit: Never mind. From later on in that same thread:

Bioware said:
Is Microsoft giving players full Xbox Live Gold benefits during the demo period - including access to Netflix, ESPN, Hulu Plus and more?

No - to clarify, Microsoft is removing membership restrictions from the ME3 demo. Normally if a player does not have XBox Live Gold, they would not be able to download the demo until a week after it is released, and would not have access to the multiplayer features of the demo. In this case, all players will be able to download the demo when it releases and all players will be able to play multiplayer in the demo regardless of Xbox Live membership level starting February 14. There are no special steps required to obtain these benefits, it will be seamless for all players. To check out all the benefits of Xbox LIVE Gold membership, try the free Gold weekend February 3rd through 5th.

So apparently Microsoft still likes money.

mujun

So how long is the gold access?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9135436/1

This kind of makes it sound like it's going to last from demo release to launch, that's kind of a long time.

Aren't multiplayer demos normally just not available? Does this say anything about how maybe gold is loosing subscribers?

Edit: Never mind. From later on in that same thread:

So apparently Microsoft still likes money.

This is awesome news for me as a huge ME fan. I have a gold account but it's Japanese so most demos don't even hit the Japanese marketplace.

malfcn

Waited too long to pre-order collector's ed. Went to Bestbuy.com today and it was out. Am I out of luck? What about a brick&mortar location? Or should I just wait and hope to get lucky?

Waited too long to pre-order collector's ed. Went to Bestbuy.com today and it was out. Am I out of luck? What about a brick&mortar location? Or should I just wait and hope to get lucky?

There might be a few places left that have it, but for the most part, it's gone.

I'd just pre-order the standard edition and maybe go in to a local gamestore day of release and say if they have a spare copy.

I don't see how Microsoft can extend having to pay a fee just to play online on their next system. Not with PSN gaining ground (unless they too think paying is the way to go) and Nintendo becoming a more serious contender. Steam has also gained a ton of traction over the years. I can see Microsoft still having a paid service but also a free supplement that will still allow gamers to go online and play with other people.

I cool little thing for them to do. I'm looking very much forward to this demo, because it'll be the deciding factor on whether or not I get this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Any word on one or two discs? OT for the demo incoming?

ME2 was two disks, so I assume this will be as well. I'm going to do a multiplayer OT for the demo that I'll probably keep running through to the full release.

Top Bottom