• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

There's a couple games that require you to shut the DS to solve the puzzle.

This is kinda moot though because that game is last gen and there are millions of regular DSes in the wild now.

They confirmed the sleep mode switch simulates the "closed" state of the DS titles... They are still completely compatible.

The CiNG games sometimes required to fold the DS, but not completely.
Gonna be pretty farfetched to solve the other puzzles with sleepmode button, but alright I guess...

MYE

White one looks cool with different colors IMO

zPmzRPD.jpg

Berordn

This shouldn't have BC. Imagine playing Another Code/Trace Memory on this :lol
Shit, you can't even finish Zelda Phantom Hourglass on this thing.

You actually can, since it just checks to see if the system goes into sleep. It's just going to be stupidly unintuitive on it.

Captain N

Pre-ordered the Red & Black one. Not happy about the smaller screens, but my one and a half year old loves to play Nintendogs and even calls the dog by his name.

DaBoss

Seriously though, this is a really smart move. I do think it doesn't look visually appealing or ergonomical for games that require you to access the touchscreen regularly, but on the business side of things, this was a really good move.

They pretty much covered all bases $129, $169, and $199. And with Pokémon on the way, this should fly off the shelves. I do think there will be confusion about what games a 2DS can play, but that can quickly be remedied with one visit to a retailer and just asking an employee about what games it can play or reading the box saying it can play 3DS & DS games.

And with this they can offload a price cut for a lot longer.

So i was just chatting with my girlfriend. I might get her one for christmas. She's more of a "casual gamer", she likes the layton games but she doesn't like the 3D effect and she's kinda clumsy and always afraid she could break my 3DS so the 2DS might be a great system for her.

DigitalOp

Banned
Dunno why, but I'm tempted to pick one of these up as a secondary system. I thought the design was ugly at first, but the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of the GameBoy line (dat nostalgia). What's wrong with me?

Definitely has that toylike GB aesthetic to it.

I was saying this yesterday. It definitely is a 2nd generation Gameboy. It took a while for my mind to process it...

Its not to nice to look at in public though. Very strange indeed unlike the Gameboy line.. Maybe if they become more popular the stigma will change.

But 3DS and DS library?... I can't give that up. Its wayyyy too convenient at that price point

I've said for awhile they should make a cheaper 3DS model without 3D. But not like this. Whoever is responsible for console redesigns at Nintendo needs to be evaluated because this isn't the first time they've screwed up.

Captain N

So when this releases, how do you think it will sell compared to the other 2 members of the family?

I say XL>2DS>3DS

I think this Holiday the 2DS will be king and outsell all other systems. Long term I can see them releasing a 2DS XL and the cheaper model will sell like hot cakes.

I've said for awhile they should make a cheaper 3DS model without 3D. But not like this. Whoever is responsible for console redesigns at Nintendo needs to be evaluated because this isn't the first time they've screwed up.

I agree, they could have made a 2DS that is child-friendly but doesn't look like a plastic shim...

Okay, here's the thing: Don't get me wrong, I sort of want it because it's cheap. However, the reason for me to buy a DS is for portable gaming...And...Well...the design threatens that ideal, big time. I can't see myself lugging around that thing, everywhere.

The Cowboy

Nintendo could have been onto an extra money maker with the coloured borders, all they needed to do was make them detachable and release a bunch of colours (of course that reasonably secure to the case) - sort of like they did with the micro and its detachable front covers.

That white/orange one is just dreamy (I love orange).

I like one aspect of the 2DS: It´s accessible. Don´t get me wrong, opening a 3DS is no big effort but the 2DS seems to invite you to play it while the introvert 3DS sits in a corner clamshelling.

LocalE

It's not safe to say that yet.
I love it.
Apparently a lot of people don't even know it exists, and lots of people are still in the stage where they don't like it despite not having used it.

I still love checking in on this thread because every page is exactly the same.

Almost, but people are slowly coming around. Probably near to a saturation point for the "wait..wut" and "is it a april fool from The Onion" type posts as well. Maybe.

Drago

White one looks cool with different colors IMO

zPmzRPD.jpg

I really like the look of the white 2DS'. All of these look pretty nice, especially white/orange.

At least I'll never be tempted to get one of these as NoA will never release a white one here, the fools

Top Bottom