• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

mreddie

C8RSFDUXgAE80PB.jpg

C8RU8IZXsAEVbM-.jpg

ERROR ERROR MIND DOES NOT COMPUTE

Sandfox

ERROR ERROR MIND DOES NOT COMPUTE

Full quote from the actual source:
Part of it, but I think also it seemed like tastes changed, because stuff you had been doing in the past wasn't working the same way. Did you perceive that or are we misreading that?
No, I think so. I don't know if those customers with the tastes that had been around for three years really supporting nearly anything that we would try, anything that we would attempt, any of the new characters we brought up, either they weren't shopping in that time period, or maybe like you said their tastes have changed.

There was definitely a sort of nose-turning at the things that we had been doing successfully for the past three years, no longer viable. We saw that, and that's what we had to react to. Yes, it's all of that.

Now the million-dollar question. Why did those tastes change?
I don't know if that's a question for me. I think that's a better question for retailers who are seeing all publishers. What we heard was that people didn't want any more diversity. They didn't want female characters out there. That's what we heard, whether we believe that or not. I don't know that that's really true, but that's what we saw in sales.

We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against. That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked.
[Note: Marvel’s David Gabriel reached out to correct the statement above: "Discussed candidly by some of the retailers at the summit, we heard that some were not happy with the false abandonment of the core Marvel heroes and, contrary to what some said about characters “not working,” the sticking factor and popularity for a majority of these new titles and characters like Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, The Mighty Thor, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, and Moon Girl, continue to prove that our fans and retailers ARE excited about these new heroes. And let me be clear, our new heroes are not going anywhere! We are proud and excited to keep introducing unique characters that reflect new voices and new experiences into the Marvel Universe and pair them with our iconic heroes.

"We have also been hearing from stores that welcome and champion our new characters and titles and want more! They've invigorated their own customer base and helped them grow their stores because of it. So we're getting both sides of the story and the only upcoming change we're making is to ensure we don't lose focus of our core heroes."]

It was the old things coming back in that time period, three books in particular, Spider-Man Renew Your Vows, that had Spider-Man and Mary Jane married, that worked. The Venom book worked and the Thanos book worked. You can take what you want out of who might be enjoying those three books, but it is definitely a specific type of comic book reader, comic book collector that really liked those three series.

The artist thing is true, though it's an issue caused by the industry.

shingi70

Banned
Will there ever be another Wizard Magazine for the industry? Seems like all the major comic sites sans Bleedingcool are dying and most comicbook podcasts aren't really about the industry in the broader sense.

Most of the podcasts I listen top like those on the firewater network are typically centered around older material or a particular charcater or team. The closest I probably get too is 11 o'clock Comics.

Sandfox

Will there ever be another Wizard Magazine for the industry? Seems like all the major comic sites sans Bleedingcool are dying and most comicbook podcasts aren't really about the industry in the broader sense.

Most of the podcasts I listen top like those on the firewater network are typically centered around older material or a particular charcater or team. The closest I probably get too is 11 o'clock Comics.

Probably not. The best bet would likely be a website that writes similar stuff popping up and taking off.

Plus, I mean, it's hard to highlight art in a podcast.

Which is... um, literally everything that a comic book is not. On account of having no visuals and all audio.

Anyway, it's kind of moot anyway. There's plenty of places that highlight art. It's called social media. Shit's all over the place, including release day spoilers. You want your artists to start carrying books, maybe give them a chance to become associated with them. It'll probably never be like the 90s again where the artist's name outweighed the writer's, but still. Blaming it on lack of exposure is asinine.

shingi70

Banned
Probably not. The best bet would likely be a website that writes similar stuff popping up and taking off.

That's unfortunate, I'm not even a great writer and I can go about how much I love Green Arrow as a book, but the current story arc is a tad bit problematic with the mighty whitey troupe, which might be intentional on Percy's part since this seems pretty close to an issue from the Mike Grell hard traveling heroes run. So I know writers better than me can put out quality pieces.

There's no money in it but I wouldn't mind seeing the polygon or Vice waypoint version of a comic book website.

Also I notice how much Marvel likes to have its cake too, saying the spider marriage is never coming back, but willing to point to the success of renew our vows as the success of going back to what worked in the past.

Sandfox

That's unfortunate, I'm not even a great writer and I can go about how much I love Green Arrow as a book, but the current story arc is a tad bit problematic with the mighty whitey troupe, which might be intentional on Percy's part since this seems pretty close to an issue from the Mike Grell hard traveling heroes run. So I know writers better than me can put out quality pieces.

There's no money in it but I wouldn't mind seeing the polygon or Vice waypoint version of a comic book website.

Also I notice how much Marvel likes to have its cake too, saying the spider marriage is never coming back, but willing to point to the success of renew our vows as the success of going back to what worked in the past.
Renew Your Vows needs to continue for as long as possible.

Renew Your Vows needs to continue for as long as possible.

As I said in the other thread, looking at the sales, Renew Your Vows feels like like it might be DOA in 12 issues. Either it stabilizes, or Marvel decides to Claremont it, leaving the book alive even if it drops below the threshold.

11/16 ASM Renew your vows # 1 - 96,111
12/16 ASM Renew your vows # 2 - 43,128 (-55.1%)
01/17 ASM Renew your vows # 3 - 41,167 (- 4.5%)
02/17 ASM Renew your vows # 4 - 31,750 (-22.9%)

There's a number of books like that right now: Spider-Man 2099, Wasp, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl. Spider-Woman was one, but that just ended.

Otherwise, it's performing like X-Men '92, which died with issue #10. Just happens to have started much higher.

03/16- X-Men 92 #1 - 58,804
04/16 X-Men 92 #2 - 33,862 (-42.4%)
05/16 X-Men 92 #3 - 30,112 (-11.1%)
06/16 X-Men 92 #4 - 25,044 (-16.8%)
07/16 X-Men 92 #5 - 22,745 (- 9.2%)
08/16 X-Men 92 #6 - 22,175 (- 2.5%)
09/16 X-Men 92 #7 - 19,262 (-13.1%)
10/16 X-Men 92 #8 - 18,220 (- 5.4%)
11/16 X-Men 92 #9 - 16,441 (- 9.7%)
12/16 X-Men 92 #10 - 15,290 (- 7.0%)

The I is missing in the title, but anyway I have a question.

Do you think a villain can only be threatening if their plan involves killing or hurting people?

mreddie

There's a number of books like that right now: Spider-Man 2099, Wasp, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl. Spider-Woman was one, but that just ended.

Otherwise, it's performing like X-Men '92, which died with issue #10. Just happens to have started much higher.

When a company doesn't promote a book but talks about how good their character was in a fucking list.

Do you think a villain can only be threatening if their plan involves killing or hurting people?

Define hurting? If you're limiting it to physical violence, then no, but if you mean like in general... yeah, villains who don't intend to make anybody's lives worse aren't particularly threatening villains.

Physically. Trying to decide if my villains' plan can be perceived as enough of a threat.

Nah.

The best villains aren't the physical threats.

It's the mofos who mess with their heroes psychologically. Many have a physical component, sure, but the mental game is what tends to blow minds.

No one cares about Doomsday. Tons of folks care about Lex Luthor.

Not sure how to feel about this.

I'm loving Andromeda. Probably going to finish it this weekend between all of the wrestling shows. I would have been done already but had some personal stuff going on the past couple weeks.

Also Maria is so fucking cool. Saya who?

Can't wait to see how you react to some of the stuff ahead.

OH MY FUCKING GOD. MORE INFINITE LOOP.

Is this a good thing?

We know, Messi can't spell. We avoid talking about it.

Nah.

It's the mofos who mess with their heroes psychologically. Many have a physical component, sure, but the mental game is what tends to blow minds.

That's true, but he does get people to act against their morals or cause a major inconvenience. I'm not sure if mine's does though and I can actually see some good in it or does that mean I'm crazy? I think I'll go ahead and write it, but if I still feel the same way I guess I'll throw in some kind of death or illness threat into it.

The scariest villains are the ones you can relate to. Someone like Alonzo from Training Day scares the shit out of me more than a villain with super powers. The man is a master manipulator and will make you his best friend until he feels you are of no use anymore. That is way more effective.

Deadly Class Vol. 5

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

OH MY GOD FUCKING FUCK YES

The down side of
Marcus being alive and ruining the impact of his death
is tremendously overshadowed by the up side of
MARIA FUCKING BEING ALIVE FUCKING GOD YES

ARGHLEBARGLE

I just finished Anya's Ghost. It was such a nice little graphic novel. Felt kind of like something like Coralline and similar stories (no surprise since the creator worked on it LOL). The art was adorable and I loved the limited color palette. Worth checking out if you enjoy animated movies. You could really tell Brosgol used a lot of her personal experience to write this and it really strengthened the story. Good read.

I need to re-read Hellboy. I did it in such spurts that I didn't understand half of what I was reading. Like tired as fuck, 5 AM on a hot summer day. Morning. Evening. Fuck I don't even know what time it is because as far as I'm concerned the sun didn't even go down. Just confused.

I associate Hellboy with that, but in a good way.

Daken as Wolverine. Yay or nay?
Originally I would've said "Fuck nay!" But now I'd say a firm "yay." I think it would be cool to have a Dark Wolverine book again. With how quality the current books are, I'd accept a third Wolverine book.

But Marvel has way too many fucking books right now, so scratch that. To that end, I think it'd be appropriate for him to show up in both of the books. Do a Wolverine crossover with Daken as the main antagonist.

I think he'd be interesting right now because je can't ever be Wolverine. Already done that, and I don't think he could legitimately do it. He has so much rage placed at his dad, but he doesn't have that same rage towards Laura, so the mantle of Wolverine doesn't mean so much. It's not worth mocking, which is basically what he did before. He had to be better and fuck up the name. Old Man Logan is the same as his dad, but not really. I think that relationship would be really interesting for an arc. Seeing him struggle with all his rage and nothing to focus on would be a great focus, given that I think his rage has always been pretty core to his character. But I haven't read a lot of him. Just X-23's solo and Remender's UXF/UA.
Nah.

You say that, but I remember people being pissed that he was "being wasted" on BvS. As if you could even waste him.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
April buys!

Birthright #24
Black Cloud #1
Black Road #9
Black Science #30
Copperhead #12
Curse Words #4
Deadly Class #28
Drifter #19
East of West #34
Extremity #2
I Hate Fairyland #12
Injection #12
Kill or Be Killed #8
Lazarus Sourcebook #2: Hock
Manifest Destiny #28
Monstress #12
Paper Girls #13
Seven to Eternity #5
Spread #21
The Black Monday Murders #5
The Fix #9
The Old Guard #3
The Walking Dead #166
The Wicked + The Divine #28

Black Hammer #8
Slam #5

Tizoc

Some good comics these past 2 weeks IMO-

Super Sons #2 was good and I like this dynamic between the two. Wonder if Superboy is intended to have similar powers to Golden Age Supes.

Transformers Til all are one brings back a long forgotten villain from
the G2 comic

TF: Lost Light #4 keeps upping the suspense.

dan2026

Deadly Class 13

Holy shit Maria isn't just badass, she's invincible.

(Reaches the end of the issue) you have to be fucking joking.

No seriously you have to be joking.

Are there comics with the Batman Beyond version of the Justice League. I thought the Green Lantern being an Asian child was neat.

I think that roster was Batman, Superman, Aqua Girl, Green Lantern, Warhawk, and Static.

Mafro

Fucking Lazarus. Almost six months between this weeks issue and the one before that, and now a break from the main series for what sounds like could be a year at least.

I find the watchmen stuff kind of exciting and intriguing but it makes me nervous too Hah. Even if they're good, I only want so many of these crossover/company events, I mostly just want my books left alone. This specific thing seems cool though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Fucking Lazarus. Almost six months between this weeks issue and the one before that, and now a break from the main series for what sounds like could be a year at least.

Lark needs a break from doing like 4 issues a year man!

Kicking off my return to comics, I read Deathstroke Rebirth Vol. 1 on Hoopla yesterday. Interesting book. The writing very much expects the reader to fill in the gaps. It's almost... puzzle-esque? As opposed to a lot of "mysteries" where you're not supposed to know until the reveal, here, if you're not making some effort to figure out and fill in the gaps you're gonna have a bad time lol. Right up my alley tho. Slade is such a shitty parent it's incredible, but Wintergreen's talk with Rose about how he's a supervillain and what that implies about his character and parenting makes a lot of sense. I also find myself in weird agreement with Slade about Rose's status. She's not ready. She's got the combat skills, but that's easy when you're a precog. She doesn't have either the paranoia or ruthlessness needed to follow Slade's path, or the sheer dedication and idealism to end up more like Batman (or Nightwing, if you want to make that connection, him being her mentor and all). As such, she's staking out sort of an uncomfortable middle ground as a hero for hire doing stuff she's really not suited for. Very interested in catching all the way up and seeing where this goes; hell of a place to end the volume lol.

Also, I will forever treasure Damian shittalking Slade. Shit was golden, and actually did a really great job of selling the book's driving "Slade is a supervillain" angle. Even in his focus series, he's still getting out-bantered by the heroes. As it should be.

Deadly Class 13

Holy shit Maria isn't just badass, she's invincible.

(Reaches the end of the issue) you have to be fucking joking.

No seriously you have to be joking.
I was waiting for this after reading your post on the last page.

Welcome to the club.

Dusknoir

Kill or be killed #7: I liked it but it just ok. Can't wait to see more of the main character and Russian mob. I don't care much for else.

Motor Crush #4: Needs more Lola. Great issue.

The Wild Storm #2: Remind me of all the Tom Clancy books I read in middle school. Its better then those because of all these characters seem more interesting. They look like subdued characters from Metal Gear.

Mother Panic #4-5: Best to issues in the run now. Love the mom and Violent a lot. The art change looks really good. Wouldn't mind it if it stayed that way.

Top Bottom