• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMattera

Youtube will randomly turn itself on and start playing videos. Even when it shows the app is closed, the volume from a video will just start playing.

Yeah my pixel XL since getting the real release of Oreo is crap beyond belief.

Battery dies when not in use.
Notifications don't come through until doing something on the phone, then I get a bunch at once.
Sound issues
Bluetooth is all wobbly when connecting to my Bose.

Didn't have this on last Dev beta... Sad Panda

torontoml

Yeah my pixel XL since getting the real release of Oreo is crap beyond belief.

Battery dies when not in use.
Notifications don't come through until doing something on the phone, then I get a bunch at once.
Sound issues
Bluetooth is all wobbly when connecting to my Bose.

Didn't have this on last Dev beta... Sad Panda

Have you tried a system restore, I was having some significant battery drain, but after a restore the phone easily is lasting all day.

gpMG8pM.png

vypek

My Pixel just came in the mail today and I'm trying to get everything up and running again. Avoiding upgrading to Oreo at the moment based on what people said here.

Couple of things I've noticed so far:

1) The app icons suck

2) The transfer complete fucked my Google Photos by messing up all the dates. Everything is jumbled

I can't find a setting in Nova Launcher to repair the icons and I think I might have to uninstall it so I can have the time displayed in the top right of the screen and also to possibly have the icons not look terrible.

Have you tried a system restore, I was having some significant battery drain, but after a restore the phone easily is lasting all day.

Yeah can you let me know how to do a system restore because I took my phone off the charger an hour ago and my battery life is saying 3 hours left. This is also after Oreo and I got the phone today

G0523

I've been having quite a bit of trouble with my new Pixel that I bought from the Verizon store about a week and a half ago. It was fine before the Oreo update but I figured I'd update it anyway since it's a new phone and I wouldn't miss whatever was on it before.

But I am having serious issues with it after the update. I had to factory reset it because it kept locking up and restarting itself even when nothing was going on. And now I'm having signal issues. I thought it was Verizon or the hurricanes or something. But, nope, took out the SIM card and put it back in and now it's fine. Well, not fine since I still only have 1-2 bars when I used to have 4, but at least it's something. I hope they work out the kinks real soon. This is very problematic.

UPDATE: So, it turns out the poor signal was actually because of Verizon, not Google or the Oreo update. That's a relief to hear when I went to the Verizon store. Hopefully I won't have any more problems with it in the future...

torontoml

Yeah can you let me know how to do a system restore because I took my phone off the charger an hour ago and my battery life is saying 3 hours left. This is also after Oreo and I got the phone today
Make sure your shit is backed up, then go to:

Settings>System>Reset>Factory Data Reset

Then reset your phone. It's a pain the ass but it worked for me.

vypek

Managed to fix my photos that were messed up with the transfer. Gonna see if I can get the icons fixed now and change the style of of the home page like I wanted.

Does anyone know if there is a way to save some photos from the stock google wallpapers app and have them rotate on the home and/or lock screen?

Google Music was draining my battery pretty hard. I had to uninstall it. I was hitting 10% remaining half way through my work day. Battery has been better ever since.

neoemonk

My Nexus 6P has been shutting down between 20 and 30% battery and I saw a Reddit thread where people were saying if you bought it from Google directly they were doing out of warranty RMAs for the issue and sending out Pixel XLs as the replacement. Tried it yesterday and sure enough, they are sending me a brand new Pixel XL. I hope I like it. The Nexus 6P was my favorite phone I've ever owned and I'm sad to see it go but the battery problem was getting worse.

vypek

My Nexus 6P has been shutting down between 20 and 30% battery and I saw a Reddit thread where people were saying if you bought it from Google directly they were doing out of warranty RMAs for the issue and sending out Pixel XLs as the replacement. Tried it yesterday and sure enough, they are sending me a brand new Pixel XL. I hope I like it. The Nexus 6P was my favorite phone I've ever owned and I'm sad to see it go but the battery problem was getting worse.

Are you serious? I just bought this damn phone to replace my shitty Nexus 6P. Dammit. I'll have to contact them and see if I can get money back.

Not sure if this is a unique issue, anyone else's pixel headphone jack randomly decide not to work every once and a while?

I'm having that issue in so far that my headphone jack won't seat all the way in the socket anymore. I don't get that last, firm click. So my headphones will quit working as soon as the lightest jostle or tug moves the jack.

Don't have another set of 3.5's around to test if it's the phone's fault or the headset and I've blown out the socket as well as I can with some canned air.

ArchAngel

I'm getting a replacement for my Pixel XL next week and now I'm on the edge of seeling it sealed, getting a 50€ phone and wait for the Pixel 2 XL ... hmm ...

vypek

Looks like I need to refund and return my Pixel and switch back to my Nexus 6P so I can request a replacement Pixel for it.

vypek

Just have to quote this again and thank you for posting this. This is going to save me a lot of money.

Me too, Oreo has been fine and has actually fixed my Bluetooth streaming. Used to get skips while playing music in the car, that doesn't happen anymore.
In my case, Oreo has fixed some battery issues I was having. In particular, battery drains a lot slower in sleep mode now.

I was able to just do this earlier today. 128 gb Pixel XL coming my way.

Thank you very much.

Yup. Just had this done for me a long way out of warranty. Blessed Google stays number one.

Are the camera and processor that much better in this thing than the 6P?

My battery usage was awful initially after the update. But I got on Reddit for advice which it said to clear the cache of my apps, charge it up again, and it's at 89% since having a full charge at 7 am this morning.

plenilune

My iPhone 6 battery is dying and the new iPhones didn't impress me so I decided to take this opportunity to try an Android for once. Also, most of the apps I use are Google (gmail, chrome, google photos etc), so why the hell not. I couldn't wait another 2 months for the Pixel 2 so went ahead and bought an internationally unlocked 32GB Pixel for $600 (The cheaper verizon model wouldn't work in my country).

SMattera

Personally, I would recommend staying away from this phone. It's like a ticking time bomb as to when your microphone is going to die, and the bugs are awful.

The new PiP feature kept forcing my phone to reboot itself. The culprit? Google's own YouTube app.

reKon

Banned
It seems like Oreo bought some massive battery life updates to my brothers piece of shit 6p. You guys noticing better battery life?

Personally, I would recommend staying away from this phone. It's like a ticking time bomb as to when your microphone is going to die, and the bugs are awful.

The new PiP feature kept forcing my phone to reboot itself. The culprit? Google's own YouTube app.

Hyperbole much? My launch XL is still doing just fine, and I've never even heard of a problem with the mic, PIP, or the YouTube app.

Hyperbole much? My launch XL is still doing just fine, and I've never even heard of a problem with the mic, PIP, or the YouTube app.

My launch xl's mic and headphone jack have been randomly stopped working and required reboots. After Oreo update, they completely wacked, probably a coincidence.

C-Jo

It seems like Oreo bought some massive battery life updates to my brothers piece of shit 6p. You guys noticing better battery life?

My already terrible XL battery life is even worse, post-Oreo. I'm at 77% right now, and I basically woke up and drove 10 minutes to work. It'll be near dead by 1pm, with Play Services taking up the vast majority of it.

Gonna have to try a factory reset pretty soon, I think.

Don't know if anyone has experienced this issue with their Pixel, but I have an XL, and all of a sudden for the last month or so the vibrate has been sounding like there's a fuckin fly stuck in my phone. Anytime my phone vibrates from a phone call, or for a message, or even when it vibrates while I type on it. Not really sure what to do with it, but it does come and go.

I don't think I've upgraded to Oreo yet. And now I'm scared to after reading the thread hahaha. Also, my battery definitely isn't as good as it was, although it's still decent. Recommendations on most efficient way to back up the phone prior to a restore?

SMattera

If you spend any time on Pixel forums, reddit, etc. it's nothing but complaints. I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast the other day, and he starts going off about how buggy his Pixel is and how the mic randomly stopped working half the time.

vypek

My already terrible XL battery life is even worse, post-Oreo. I'm at 77% right now, and I basically woke up and drove 10 minutes to work. It'll be near dead by 1pm, with Play Services taking up the vast majority of it.

Gonna have to try a factory reset pretty soon, I think.

Clearing cache doesn't work or help?

Nope, no effect whatsoever.

I think I heard something about this yesterday. You might be on an older version of Google Play Services which didn't get updated. Download and manually install the latest Google Play Services APK and see if it fixes it.

C-Jo

I think I heard something about this yesterday. You might be on an older version of Google Play Services which didn't get updated. Download and manually install the latest Google Play Services APK and see if it fixes it.

Oooh okay, I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom