• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

Socivol

I've been looking for a new job since October and my soul is indeed crushed. Had five interviews at a company over the past month and just found out I didn't get the job. I think the most frustrating part is multi-part interviews that take so much time and energy only to be told no. The feedback that I got wasn't major either so it's super annoying.

I've been looking for a new job since October and my soul is indeed crushed. Had five interviews at a company over the past month and just found out I didn't get the job. I think the most frustrating part is multi-part interviews that take so much time and energy only to be told no. The feedback that I got wasn't major either so it's super annoying.

I know that feeling. I remember going through a process where I had 3 or 4 different phone interviews for a position, with a couple of them just being for "additional clarification" and stuff like that, only to be told I came 2nd in the competition. It's super tough, but just chalk it up as good interview experience and use it in the next one! Something will come along soon.

Socivol

I know that feeling. I remember going through a process where I had 3 or 4 different phone interviews for a position, with a couple of them just being for "additional clarification" and stuff like that, only to be told I came 2nd in the competition. It's super tough, but just chalk it up as good interview experience and use it in the next one! Something will come along soon.

For me, it was just kind of a waste of time. I have a full-time job right now so it was a lot of extra work for no payoff and since I didn't get any real feedback it's not like I actually learned anything from the experience. I did learn that hiring processes need to be streamlined though. I had 2 phone interviews, an in-person interview, two performance tasks, an interview on the development of the performance task, and then another in-person interview to present the performance tasks. So at the end of the day it was a lot of work for no payoff, I didn't get the job nor did I get any information on improving my interview performance.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

I had 8, yes 8 interviews for a management position with Davita, ultimately, didn't get the job. Back on the hunt now. I had a second interview 4/20/2017 and an initial interview at another place on 4/27/2017. Didn't get either, the grind is rough but hopefully, we all get to where we want to be sooner than later.

Socivol

I had 8, yes 8 interviews for a management position with Davita, ultimately, didn't get the job. Back on the hunt now. I had a second interview 4/20/2017 and an initial interview at another place on 4/27/2017. Didn't get either, the grind is rough but hopefully, we all get to where we want to be sooner than later.

JESUS! EIGHT?! I had seven for my current job, but I ultimately got it so it doesn't sting as much. What could they possibly need eight interviews for? That's outrageous.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
JESUS! EIGHT?! I had seven for my current job, but I ultimately got it so it doesn't sting as much. What could they possibly need eight interviews for? That's outrageous.

It was for an area management position that monitored 6 locations. I had to interview with the manager at each location, with many others during each stop. It was ridiculous looking back.

For me, it was just kind of a waste of time. I have a full-time job right now so it was a lot of extra work for no payoff and since I didn't get any real feedback it's not like I actually learned anything from the experience. I did learn that hiring processes need to be streamlined though. I had 2 phone interviews, an in-person interview, two performance tasks, an interview on the development of the performance task, and then another in-person interview to present the performance tasks. So at the end of the day it was a lot of work for no payoff, I didn't get the job nor did I get any information on improving my interview performance.

Wow that's insane. Nowadays I typically have 1, maaaaybe 2 interviews and then it's a done deal. It does suck when you don't get any useful feedback though. I always look at it as good experience just going through the process, having to think of examples and situations to respond to questions etc. but having to go through a process like that sounds painful.

Anyone have some good resources for resume/cover letter templates?

I need to update my stuff, and it feels dated (about 2 years). I've tried multiple friends that are recruiters, and each one has a completely different opinion on necessary changes (text too small/text too big, too many bullet points/not enough bullet points, etc.).

I understand that all recruiters/HR are different, but this is madness.

daffy

Banned
Costco for retail. Get paid a little above minimum, small benefits, room to grow if you so choose.

Auto dealerships as for lot maintenance. Good deals if need be.

Don't really have much experience there. My minimum wage years were all at Future shop / Best Buy.

I don't have personal experience with it, but I've always heard really great things about Costco as an employer. You get the sense that they treat their employees pretty well. Maybe that's on a relative scale with other minimum wage employers like Walmart and others will call me crazy, but I haven't really heard anything negative about how they treat staff.

I'm a little biased since I work there part time while I go to school but Trader Joe's is also really awesome. Great benefits and they treat their employees tremendously well. 2 raises per year based on performance and the cap on earnings is 25 dollars an hour for a regular crew member. Obviously it would take a while until you made that much but the opportunity is there.
Thanks for the tips!! I'll check out Costco and Trader Joe's!

I think I feel stuck at Starbucks. I have a gen ed associates and 70 credits in no particular path at university. Right now I'm trying to get my COMP TIA certs slowly and surely while doing 40 hours a week as a supervisor making $11.30.

Flux

Has anyone had experience with an interview that is a PowerPoint or presentation about the company's mandate/vision and how you fit/will perform that role?

Just trying to figure where to begin and what to say. It kind of feels like a one-way interview where I am doing all of the talking and then the panel of interviewers is only there to take notes.

Well I got a interview today and I feel happy but at the same time I'm very nervous because I got the call for a second interview but this time in english (I live in Mexico). I haven't practiced conversational english in a long time :(
I don't know if this is the right place but I wanted to know if somebody here can help me with this? Or anybody knows where I can find some help for this?

We'll I got the job. I start Thursday. Just a note of encouragement to everyone looking - if I can get a job after 2 years in prison with that large a gap in work history and a felony on my record and a history of alcoholism, you can too. Anything is possible. I was honest about my history and went above and beyond the expectations for interviewing and it paid off. I've had 5 interviews with this company since April 25th. I gave them a presentation using the software I'd be working with even though it wasn't required. I also used the Interview Master System to prepare and killed every interview as a result. In the end, they gave me a max offer, 15% more than I asked for along with bonus, stocks, etc., the best salary and benefit package I've ever had. I feel so blessed to have this 2nd chance - I'll reward them by exceeding all expectations. You can do it guys. Thanks for the support!

capawe

Neo Member
Sight, I did something really stupid today and I am feeling terrible about it.
I applied for a job, I spent hours getting the resume and cover letter just right. A couple hours later I realized that I sent the wrong resume, the one I sent was a half done copy I did weeks ago.

I decided to send an email apologizing with my current resume attached and I was in such a panic that I wrote 'I send the wrong copy of my resume' instead of 'I sent'.

Normally I wouldn't be so worried but positions for a programming job don't come up in my area that often so I am pretty demotivated.

PillarEN

Recently got 2 opportunities at two different companies to do translation work. Both sent me a quick test to see if I have the skills (I do. English is essentially my 1A and the other language is my 1B). Both seem to not be responding. I mean hell I understand if you aren't interested. I respect that. But after some time (about a week) I would fire off an email to see what is up. Ask if they had a chance to look over my translations yet. No response. Why? Is that aggressive or unprofessional to ask if they had time to look over some 350 words or so? I'd even be glad if they wrote an email where they go "fuck off you stupid piece of shit. YOU'LL NEVER WORK HERE!!!" I'd love that instead of being kept in the dark. I'm not dealing with a person who has crippling anxiety here. I'm dealing with people who are looking for employees.

hokahey

Recently got 2 opportunities at two different companies to do translation work. Both sent me a quick test to see if I have the skills (I do. English is essentially my 1A and the other language is my 1B). Both seem to not be responding. I mean hell I understand if you aren't interested. I respect that. But after some time (about a week) I would fire off an email to see what is up. Ask if they had a chance to look over my translations yet. No response. Why? Is that aggressive or unprofessional to ask if they had time to look over some 350 words or so? I'd even be glad if they wrote an email where they go "fuck off you stupid piece of shit. YOU'LL NEVER WORK HERE!!!" I'd love that instead of being kept in the dark. I'm not dealing with a person who has crippling anxiety here. I'm dealing with people who are looking for employees.

1 week is nothing. If they're even remotely busy, or interviewing multiple candidates, it could be several weeks, minimum. It takes time to interview, discuss, recommend, get approval, make offer.

Emailing to ask if they've had time to review is pushy. If you have to check in, make it a quock communication about how you're very excited and curious if they know when they'll decide. But you should have asked that in the interview.

PillarEN

1 week is nothing. If they're even remotely busy, or interviewing multiple candidates, it could be several weeks, minimum. It takes time to interview, discuss, recommend, get approval, make offer.

Emailing to ask if they've had time to review is pushy. If you have to check in, make it a quock communication about how you're very excited and curious if they know when they'll decide. But you should have asked that in the interview.

There has been no interview yet. Basically the steps were:

1.I applied through the internet
2. They reply "oh great here are some translations". A simple 'prove yourself'
3. I send translations back
4. Silence

One of the companies is pretty large. The other one I pretty much notified them that I saw them post for this job but then it disappeared. So one of them certainly isn't too busy. That was over 2 weeks ago now. The big company was from a week ago.

Flux

There has been no interview yet. Basically the steps were:

1.I applied through the internet
2. They reply "oh great here are some translations". A simple 'prove yourself'
3. I send translations back
4. Silence

One of the companies is pretty large. The other one I pretty much notified them that I saw them post for this job but then it disappeared. So one of them certainly isn't too busy. That was over 2 weeks ago now. The big company was from a week ago.

Hopefully you hear back. I don't want to be a downer, but some companies use those "tests" as a means of free labour. The company I work for does that quite often. Over 2 weeks of no reply is not a good sign.

koutoru

Just got word today that I've been offered a position at the local AAA game dev studio. Finally putting that CS degree to some good use.

PillarEN

Hopefully you hear back. I don't want to be a downer, but some companies use those "tests" as a means of free labour. The company I work for does that quite often. Over 2 weeks of no reply is not a good sign.

Yeah I think the 2 week one is done with me too. I'm not afraid of them using me though. They are just more general generic translations. You can tell it's more about testing someone rather than an actual translation. I mean it's directly related to the respective businesses and the type of things you would likely see, but I don't think these 2 companies are being abusive about it.

Mr. F

Banned
Any words of encouragement for someone feeling kind of completely demoralized? 11 month club checking in.

Have a few fleeting interviews here and there but they never seem to go anywhere. Glad to be doing freelance in the meantime but the gigs are mundane enough to be their own kind of depressing

Any words of encouragement for someone feeling kind of completely demoralized? 11 month club checking in.

Have a few fleeting interviews here and there but they never seem to go anywhere. Glad to be doing freelance in the meantime but the gigs are mundane enough to be their own kind of depressing

See my post above and use the Interview Master System to crush your interviews.

https://theinterviewguys.com/the-interview-master-system/

Flux

Yeah I think the 2 week one is done with me too. I'm not afraid of them using me though. They are just more general generic translations. You can tell it's more about testing someone rather than an actual translation. I mean it's directly related to the respective businesses and the type of things you would likely see, but I don't think these 2 companies are being abusive about it.
Well then maybe best case scenario is that they are just slow at hiring decisions and not great at communication.

Socivol

We'll I got the job. I start Thursday. Just a note of encouragement to everyone looking - if I can get a job after 2 years in prison with that large a gap in work history and a felony on my record and a history of alcoholism, you can too. Anything is possible. I was honest about my history and went above and beyond the expectations for interviewing and it paid off. I've had 5 interviews with this company since April 25th. I gave them a presentation using the software I'd be working with even though it wasn't required. I also used the Interview Master System to prepare and killed every interview as a result. In the end, they gave me a max offer, 15% more than I asked for along with bonus, stocks, etc., the best salary and benefit package I've ever had. I feel so blessed to have this 2nd chance - I'll reward them by exceeding all expectations. You can do it guys. Thanks for the support!

Congratulations! I know how difficult it can be for someone with a felony conviction to find a sustainable job! That's awesome for you!

Damn man, congratulations. Sounds like you worked your ass off for that and it paid off in a big way. Best of luck with the job!

BraXzy

Just got word today that I've been offered a position at the local AAA game dev studio. Finally putting that CS degree to some good use.

Congrats and good luck! I really need to get back into the scene, since job searching and eventually starting full time in software testing last year I have done next to nothing game dev wise. I have a constant doubt that I'd never get to a point where I was good enough to employ though.

Back up plan is learning web dev.

Congratulations! I know how difficult it can be for someone with a felony conviction to find a sustainable job! That's awesome for you!

Damn man, congratulations. Sounds like you worked your ass off for that and it paid off in a big way. Best of luck with the job!

Thank you so much! So hyped to start work. My new manager sent me a pic of my office (cube) yesterday. She said there is a buzz in the office about me starting. Kind of intimidating since this is a large, publicly traded company and is very high tech and full of smart people. She definitely has a loyal and hard-working employee in me. I don't want to let her down and will be doing my best to make her hiring decision one she is proud of.

koutoru

PM us all their secrets! Jk, congrats!
Congrats and good luck! I really need to get back into the scene, since job searching and eventually starting full time in software testing last year I have done next to nothing game dev wise. I have a constant doubt that I'd never get to a point where I was good enough to employ though.

Back up plan is learning web dev.
Thanks, all. Always like reading through this thread and seeing others encourage each other.

Flux

Thank you so much! So hyped to start work. My new manager sent me a pic of my office (cube) yesterday. She said there is a buzz in the office about me starting. Kind of intimidating since this is a large, publicly traded company and is very high tech and full of smart people. She definitely has a loyal and hard-working employee in me. I don't want to let her down and will be doing my best to make her hiring decision one she is proud of.
Your story and dedication is a great inspiration for everyone in the thread. I hope that you carry on that attitude, I think it can really make a big difference where you are going.

MrS

Banned
I like this attitude. Best of luck to you in your new role.

Cth

Congratulations!

I can sympathize and wanted to let you know I start the new job tomorrow! It's a huge relief going from food banks and barely affording necessities to making 4 times what I was previously. I'm finally back to a pay scale that's more than what I was making prior to being laid off 9 years ago.

EDIT: When I applied I asked for 30k, they called me to say it paid 50k and came with a 10% bonus, stock options, 401k, etc. They even made a provision where they'd pay for my cell phone (even though it's not needed for the job). Free food, etc. The only drawback is that it's 50 miles away, but with the new money I can afford to fix my car and pay for gas and still have plenty left over.

It sucks having to work part time and being underemployed, but as megatronium said, it's possible, stick with it!

Good luck everyone!

So you paid $127 to 'crush' 5 interviews?

Well I've had over 15 interviews since getting the IMS. I didn't do it to just do well in 5 interviews. It was an investment in myself and my career and taught me how to properly prepare for interviews for the job I landed and for future opportunities should I need it. I'm doing so we'll in interviews now that I have to withdraw from two other companies because I've taken this new job. Just saying it worked for me. To each his own. Point being, don't give up on your job search, prepare as much as possible and that anything is possible.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I have to tell everyone to keep trying to find a job. Don't give up. Maybe change your approach, look for a different field or maybe aim higher if you are hearing that you are overqualified.

As for me, I was looking for months and then I started getting interviews like crazy. I ended up accepting the first gig from Company A that gave me the offer, though I was not feeling the company culture at all. They kept delaying and delaying my start date, so I accepted another offer in the meantime and let Company A know I changed my time. They weren't to happy. I didn't talk trash or insult them but let them know that something else came up while they were trying to come up with a start date. I have been at company B for a few days and everything is a complete mess there. Lack of procedures, lack of trust in each other, poor software, etc. I can see why they have had a revolving door of people in this group. People get there for a few weeks and then quit. While sitting at work wondering how I can hopefully change some of this anarchy going on, I get an offer from Company C. They told me for a couple of weeks they were working with HR to get things ready for me. I gave up hope. Company C would mean 15k more a year, a better culture and hopefully there isn't the chaos going on there.

I do feel bad for working at a place for 4-5 days and then just bailing. But hell, if they thought that I wasn't working out for them they would have had no issue telling me to GTFO. Anyway, keep your head up and something will eventually come to you. This thread is full of people who were near the end of their hope rope and got jobs. Don't give up.

So after doing my manager's job for 6 months after he left, interviewing for that position when they finally got around to actually hiring for it, and having it get offered to someone else, I started looking for jobs in other areas. Happy to say I'm starting a new position in less than 2 weeks that will be a 1 year secondment to another group! Means that theoretically I'll return to my old job after the year, but in reality lots can change and I could end up doing something else after that. Pretty pumped to be moving forward again, things were getting pretty boring in my current job, and of course it's difficult when you're the one training your new manager...

Frontend Developer
We are looking for a Frontend Software Developer
Your focus will be development of all client-side logic and user interfaces.

Sounds goo--

Responsibilities
Implementation of the backend logic in Python and Go

Skills And Qualifications
Proficient knowledge of a back-end programming languages such as Python or Golang

v37xBbr.jpg

I really hate online job applications that don't even send you an email when you've been rejected and require active checking on the status of your application.

cwmartin

I think I feel stuck at Starbucks. I have a gen ed associates and 70 credits in no particular path at university. Right now I'm trying to get my COMP TIA certs slowly and surely while doing 40 hours a week as a supervisor making $11.30.

Doesn't starbucks have a good new tuition/schooling policy?

What are the odds of getting a permanent position through a contract when everything has been very positive and you're open minded for other departments or teams in a big international organization?

My contract runs out soon in September but HR I feel like have been using a lot of buzzwords to try and keep me in my current role for as long as possible.

I know they are at least being honest but as the time gets closer, the more anxious I become. It's just I really want to stay here despite my CV being very strong now. Compared to when I got hired as a fresh graduate back in January.

Best wishes.

I really hate online job applications that don't even send you an email when you've been rejected and require active checking on the status of your application.

Oh damn, yeah that's some BS right there.

Or basically any job where you're short-listed and get an interview (like down to the final 4 or 5) and they don't bother to tell you you didn't get the job. Ran into that 2 or 3 times last year when doing my job hunt.

What are the odds of getting a permanent position through a contract when everything has been very positive and you're open minded for other departments or teams in a big international organization?

My contract runs out soon in September but HR I feel like have been using a lot of buzzwords to try and keep me in my current role for as long as possible.

I know they are at least being honest but as the time gets closer, the more anxious I become. It's just I really want to stay here despite my CV being very strong now. Compared to when I got hired as a fresh graduate back in January.

Best wishes.

I would say pretty good. I was talking with someone in a similar situation a few days ago. He interviewed for another company and got a job offer there. He showed it to his current employer and they matched/beat it so he stayed on. That would be a good bargaining chip if you can swing it?

9 months checking in here.

I just got an offer and it's minimum wage. It's kinda in my field, but I just feel like a failure that I spent 6 years in school to get a job that pays less than any job or co-op position I've had since I was 19, and it's like 50% in my field :/.

I can't move out of my parents house working minimum wage.

Am I being a whinny little baby for thinking this? It's been 9 months, I've been getting interviews, but like I just want a job and I'm already stressing about trying to manage going to job interviews while working full time at this place.

Guidance would be helpful :/.

Top Bottom