• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2017 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Pretty funny that ARMS beat Gundams debut. Does that make it the largest fighting game series in Japan outside of smash right now.

I'm sure I really saw that coming.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Arms will be at least a 500k seller.

Gundam Vs. didn't have many chances against it even if it didn't underperform.

ynwzh

Neo Member
[PS4] PlayStation 4 Hardware (7 days) - 100k
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (7 days) - 120k
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 600k
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 1800k

No Switch version? Really? Why?

Oemenia

Banned
Do you expect the PS4 to stay on the market for a decade? Being par with the PS3 won't lead to PS3 LTDs unless the same time period is also realized.
Well there's no reason to suggest that the generation might not be as long as the last.

FFXIII pretty much saved the PS3 in Japan. PS4 on the other hand still has DQXI and MHW.

Mory Dunz

I think there's a lot more announced from Japanese third-parties already than for the PS4 at the time. PS4 didn't really get Japanese support until after a year (early 2015). Although the efforts so far for Switch are low (late ports and such), at least they're releasing games. The console market has shrunk a lot since 2011, so I don't think less enthusiasm is a Switch-specific thing. Most devs were still developing for the PS4/Vita combo, and will take Switch into consideration for new projects, which are then likely Spring 2018 titles (or later). The same happened with the PS4, except that console didn't have the first-party support that appeals to the Japanese audience.

My guess is a brand-new title, releasing for both PS4 and Switch. I will be disappointed if it turns out to be a smaller game like the ones we've seen on Vita and 3DS (aside from Tales of the Abyss ofc). I think it's been too long since the original release of Berseria for a port.

I feel like the talea of game will be a late port

Datschge

PREDICTION LEAGUE DRAGON QUEST XI EDITION

Predict how much these titles will sell in the week (from Jul 24 to Jul 30):

[PS4] PlayStation 4 Hardware (7 days) - 60k
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (7 days) - 80k
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 720k
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 1280k

LordKano

What Tales Of game would they port ? I think it's too late for Berseria and it would already have been announced if it was the case, unless they're bundling it with Zestiria (I don't think many japanese want to hear about Zestiria again tho). I would have bet on a Vesperia remake for its 10th year anniversary, but now that the Tales Of Festival passed without any announcement, I don't think it will happen.

[PS4] PlayStation 4 Hardware (7 days) - 74k
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (7 days) - 110k
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 857k
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 1348k

Fdkn

Do you expect the PS4 to stay on the market for a decade? Being par with the PS3 won't lead to PS3 LTDs unless the same time period is also realized.

PS4 released 7 years after PS3 and it does not seem like PS5 is going to be faster in that regard, as 2020 looks like the safer bet right now.

Oregano

What Tales Of game would they port ? I think it's too late for Berseria and it would already have been announced if it was the case, unless they're bundling it with Zestiria (I don't think many japanese want to hear about Zestiria again tho). I would have bet on a Vesperia remake for its 10th year anniversary, but now that the Tales Of Festival passed without any announcement, I don't think it will happen.

It will be Berseria if the intention is to release the next mothership on Switch.

Xillia and Xillia 2 have never had ports/releases though whereas pretty much every other game has(except Legendia?).

Well there's no reason to suggest that the generation might not be as long as the last.

FFXIII pretty much saved the PS3 in Japan. PS4 on the other hand still has DQXI and MHW.

Ff13 was near enough a ps3 exclusive in japan though, DQ11 isnt and mhw aint gonna be a massive deal

Vena

Those won't "save" the PS4, just as a heart transplant is going to save you from a black hole.

We're not getting a ten year cycle, we'll have new hardware at 2020 at the latest.

LordKano

It will be Berseria if the intention is to release the next mothership on Switch.

Xillia and Xillia 2 have never had ports/releases though whereas pretty much every other game has(except Legendia?).

Might as well port the only good entry since Graces yeah. And now that I checked there's like 90 bucks worth of DLC so a GOTY edition might be a good idea.

Oemenia

Banned
Right and Switch will lose its momentum and the supply will be too late. Also MH was never a big franchise in Japan.

Zedark

Noticed a potentially odd thing. From what I can tell (using google translate, so please verify me!), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe seems to be sold out on Amazon Japan (and now is sold by third party retailers), and has dropped to below ARMS and BOTW, where before it handily outsold both at any moment in time:
amazon.jp said:
残り9点 ご注文はお早めに 在庫状況について
According to Google Translate this means only 9 copies are available still, and elsewhere on the page Google Translate alleges that it is sold by a third party retailer (GAME NAVI).

A screen cap in case the situation changes:
DEkLeONW0AAb-Mz.jpg:large
It strikes me as immensely odd that a game like this would just go out of stock more than two months after it has been selling at a steady pace. Anyone an idea how this could happen? Is it possible that amazon just goofed and forgot to get the regular shipment of copies in?
Maybe an uptick in sales?

aadiboy

Those won't "save" the PS4, just as a heart transplant is going to save you from a black hole.

We're not getting a ten year cycle, we'll have new hardware at 2020 at the latest.
I mean, that's the same life cycle of PS3 before PS4 came out: 7 years. So yeah, 2020 would make sense.

Blobbers

PS4 is still a beast. No one can stop the top dog. Another month at the top of the charts.

basically, the slow fat guy is winning a race against a 90-year-old man, a man dying of heatstroke and a man who's so uninterested in the race he stepped out of his lane to go flirt with a girl in the stands

Yeah, i see a bunch of people massively over estimating what these games can do about the PS4's situation in Japan.

DQ11 is a big game, but the PS4 will be the least popular platform for that game. Monster Hunters big success has come from handhelds, FF7 remake is an action RPG thats split into multiple games, Japan isnt going to be happy about those things and i'd be surprised if it outsells XV.

Japan is nintendo and mobile land, thats just the way it is now. Sony really only had 2 generations where they thrived here and those days are long gone.

[PS4] PlayStation 4 Hardware (7 days) - 65k
[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (7 days) - 90k
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 555k
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI (2 days) - 965k

basically, the slow fat guy is winning a race against a 90-year-old man, a man dying of heatstroke and a man who's so uninterested in the race he stepped out of his lane to go flirt with a girl in the stands

Have you heard of The Tortoise and the Hare? PS4 is the tortoise.

Zedark

There is undeniably a black hole for console sales, and you can see that clearly: Wii U + PS4 won't catch up to PS3 + Wii. However, at this moment it seems that PS4 does have the potential to outsell the PS3. Whether that should be partially attributed to PS4 being the only dedicated home console that has any life in it (i.e. PS4 sales are not somewhat lessened by Nintendo's console) is up for debate, but I don't get why people are so bullish on PS3 being higher in the end than the PS4. To me, signs are rather pointing to the opposite: PS4 has a strong life ahead, with two titles in DQXI and MHW (FFXV to a lesser extent) that can shift consoles, as opposed to PS3 which only really had FFXIII for that.

Oemenia

Banned
Another week another strawman.
Seriously lets ban talk of the possible success of non-vogue platforms since you know MH sales never topped the PSP versions.
There is undeniably a black hole for console sales, and you can see that clearly: Wii U + PS4 won't catch up to PS3 + Wii. However, at this moment it seems that PS4 does have the potential to outsell the PS3. Whether that should be partially attributed to PS4 being the only dedicated home console that has any life in it (i.e. PS4 sales are not somewhat lessened by Nintendo's console) is up for debate, but I don't get why people are so bullish on PS3 being higher in the end than the PS4. To me, signs are rather pointing to the opposite: PS4 has a strong life ahead, with two titles in DQXI and MHW (FFXV to a lesser extent) that can shift consoles, as opposed to PS3 which only really had FFXIII for that.
The Wii fizzled out quicker in Japan than the rest of the world, it clearly was a product of its time.
Given how good the sales are for the PS4, Sony probably want to keep it on the market as long as possible.

It's time. The world needs Tales of the Tempest again!

Might as well port the only good entry since Graces yeah.

There's so much wrong with this sentence.

But I'll sum it up with - if Graces is considered a good entry, then every entry since has been good too (minus Zestiria; I have nothing nice to say about that game other than the fact that it preceded a game I like).

LordKano

It's time. The world needs Tales of the Tempest again!

There's so much wrong with this sentence.

But I'll sum it up with - if Graces is considered a good entry, then every entry since has been good too (minus Zestiria; I have nothing nice to say about that game other than the fact that it preceded a game I like).

Graces was okay. Nothing to brag about, but at least it wasn't a pile of really embarassing garbage like anything that released after it, until Berseria.

But now there's a Boeing 707 in the race and once it will have enough fuel it will catch up the Tortoise in a mere few seconds.

Nah, once Monster Hunter World drops, it's going to launch a missile with its shell cannons that destroys the Boeing 707. That will signify the reign of the home console, death of mobile, and return of Japan's true king. You can't stop it. Nobody can stop it. It's best to accept fate now before you say anything that will come back to humiliate you in the future.

Vena

I'm not bullish on the PS3, I am bullish on the differences being irrelevant and small. The market has effectively vanished and the only home console has scavenged what scraps remain.

Zedark

Have you heard of The Tortoise and the Hare? PS4 is the tortoise.
But now there's a Boeing 707 in the race and once it will have enough fuel it will catch up the tortoise in a mere few seconds.
Nah, once Monster Hunter World drops, it's going to launch a missile with its shell cannons that destroys the Boeing 707. That will signify the reign of the home console, death of mobile, and return of Japan's true king. You can't stop it. Nobody can stop it. It's best to accept fate now before you say anything that will come back to humiliate you in the future.

Some beautiful console warrior fan fic right here! I'm quite moved.

I'm not bullish on the PS3, I am bullish on the differences being irrelevant and small. The market has effectively vanished and the only home console has scavenged what scraps remain.
Alright, I interpreted your comment about the console market being a black hole as meaning that the console market would continuously diminish. I agree that the difference between PS3 and PS4 won't be all that large, even with DQXI and MHW coming.

Oemenia

Banned
Just like how mobile killed off handhelds, only the rest of the world seems to still love home console gaming.

After all MH is now going home console.

MoonFrog

Some beautiful console warrior fan fic right here! I'm quite moved.

I hope that is what it is...not sure if trolling or serious, but I don't know the poster.

I mean:

PS4 might outdo PS3. I think it has a decent chance of that.

In no world close to this one does it outdo 3DS.

I think a reasonable estimate for PS4 lifetime is somewhere around 10 million. Maybe 9 million. Maybe 11. But not much north of that. And that's half of 22 million.

As to Switch...we'll see. Switch is off to a better start and could be off to an even better start if it weren't so supply constrained. It also has more attractive fundamentals to the Japanese market we see today. So if PS4 sells ~10 million and Switch sells less than that...how is this something to celebrate? It would paint a very dire picture for Japanese console gaming

Takao

Banned
Monster Hunter World will sell 5 million units in Japan, dethroning Portable 3rd as the franchise's best seller, and propelling PS4 to 20 million units LTD. This is based on the view count of a free video that was used as a preroll commercial.

What instance with Sony are you referring to? Can't recall a story of faked shortages.

For a while (up until a few months ago) Sony's claimed PSVR was facing big shortages in western markets despite retailers now having to offer free games and price cuts to move units.

Top Bottom