• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus pricedrop - 399$

HyGogg

Banned
Might still be a bit spendy for casual gamers, but if you're the sort of person that is ok spending that on a video card, this is pretty much a no-brainer.

Wasn't it like 300 few weeks ago?

I think for a limited time you could get a $400 Rift with a $100 amazon gift certificate, but it was for a few days rather than the couple month Rift sale.

Interesting!
Cheapest non-mobile VR set now?

And overall best now, imo, even disregarding the price.

They just showed the new Oculus Home page which integrates computer desktop usage. Yeah, there were apps for that, but seamless integration shouldn't be understated. If only the headsets had better resolution, I think this would be the beginning of an alternative to standard monitors....it's still the beginning, but it's nowhere close yet.

low-G

Smart, that's where they should have been from day one. They would have crushed the competition and VR would be on the tip of every gamers' tongue to this day.

Although it was never to be, because they didn't even have Touch at launch, and that's pretty vital.

I love my Rift + Touch, but the price at launch was idiotic.

border

Smart, that's where they should have been from day one. They would have crushed the competition and VR would be on the tip of every gamers' tongue to this day.

It's the same pricepoint as PSVR, which doesn't exactly have VR on the tip of every gamers' tongue today.

Great price but I'll still wait more. I loved what I played but I don't think my friend plays his too much anymore so lasting factor might not be too much and it might be more for a social experience.

jsnepo

Interesting. Sony dropped the price of PSVR bundle to 15,000 pesos (US $300) here in the Philippines.

I hope Vive does the same. Better entry price point is always welcome.

Risev1

That's crazy good deal, and a big slap to the face of all of us who've spent $800 on a vive or Oculus + touch just a year or less ago.

But it's to be expected of course. We early investors knew this was happening and it's actually to the benefit of us since more buyers means bigger investments from publishers.

emb

Very appealing pricepoint. If I had a capable PC, I'd go for it. But I don't, and I don't see myself ever really pursuing that. Hopefully it (and Vive) reach lots more consumers though and VR keeps momentum.

Imur

It's the same pricepoint as PSVR, which doesn't exactly have VR on the tip of every gamers' tongue today.

It's not. PSVR needs a camera and the (ridiculously bad, if you compare them to Touch) Move controllers bought separately.

But you are right anyway. Mass market will still not buy it.

low-G

That is because of the quality of PSVR, that does not come with the full setup, and PSVR did not launch at that price either, which is also my point.

Should have been Oculus + Touch: $400, Vive: $500, PSVR complete setup with everything you need + a pack in game: $250

Risev1

It's not. PSVR needs a camera and the (ridiculously bad, if you compare them to Touch) Move controllers bought separately.

Holy crap I just realized that the Rift is now indeed cheaper (and significantly better hardware-wise) than the PSVR.

Crazy.

I'm actually looking into getting a VR set-up right now, since I'm upgrading my computer. Is Oculus the way to go now? Does Vive really have any advantages, other than resolution, that justify the price difference?

Risev1

I'm actually looking into getting a VR set-up right now, since I'm upgrading my computer. Is Oculus the way to go now? Does Vive really have any advantages, other than resolution, that justify the price difference?

Having both the Rift and the Vive (for some reason), I actually think image quality is significantly better on the Rift. It's also a lot more comfortable and has built-in headsets which means less wires to deal with. I also like the touch controls way more than the Vive controllers. However, the Vive has better 360 degrees tracking. To get around this, you'll want to buy another Rift sensor which isn't very cheap. You could also position your sensors to reduce that blindspot significantly (although the Rift's setup will probably tell you that you're setting the sensors incorrectly, just ignore that warning). I'm doing the latter, and although there are times when I lose tracking for a second or 2, it's never felt enough for me to consider buying a 3rd sensor or using the Vive over my Rift. Moreover, a lot of games now give you the option to move the camera in-game horizontally in 20-30 degree increments to circumvent the blindspot behind you, so I don't think it'll really be a problem in the long run.

Izuna

Banned
Very appealing pricepoint. If I had a capable PC, I'd go for it. But I don't, and I don't see myself ever really pursuing that. Hopefully it (and Vive) reach lots more consumers though and VR keeps momentum.

Minimum spec is a 1050 Ti

It's easier to set up room-scale with a Vive, and it has some extra bells and whistles the Rift doesn't have. But the Rift has a lot of advantages, too. I've never used the Vive controllers but people say Oculus Touch is better.

Neither headset is the definitive option right now, but for the price the Rift is a no-brainer.

Griss

Much better price, but I'd still have to actually build a PC, so...

I'll wait until the PSVR 2 for PS5. If that's no good then I guess I'll look into finally building a PC after talking about it for 15 or so years.

Qwark

Fyi, the camera is included as of September 2017. Still need to buy the controllers separate though.

Risev1

Fyi, the camera is included as of September 2017. Still need to buy the controllers separate though.

Also pretty sure the Rift comes with a free game or 2. Not sure about the PSVR, although I only got a demo disc with it when I bought it for my brother back in 2016.

I already have a Vive, but tempted in trading in my PSVR and picking this up. Revive is great, but every once in a while there are issues and certain Oculus games are awkward without native Vive controller support.

If it weren't for all of the privacy issues associated with having a Rift hooked up to your PC, this would actually be a tempting offer.

nickerous

Interested in VR, but only for movie viewing or experiences like that. Not interested in setting up a VR "station" in my house. I'd love to watch sporting events from the officials perspective.

Wallach

Interested in VR, but only for movie viewing or experiences like that. Not interested in setting up a VR "station" in my house. I'd love to watch sporting events from the officials perspective.

You might be better off looking at the $199 Go standalone headset they announced today if you aren't going to use it for gaming.

Melon Husk

The Windows MR headsets will have a hard time competing. Rift package has so much more value. Better controllers, bundled games, etc.

It's easier to set up room-scale with a Vive, and it has some extra bells and whistles the Rift doesn't have. But the Rift has a lot of advantages, too. I've never used the Vive controllers but people say Oculus Touch is better.

Neither headset is the definitive option right now, but for the price the Rift is a no-brainer.
Vive really has no bells and whistles the Rift doesn’t have - they are very similar devices (I work with Vives, and have a Rift at home). Rift is more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time (unless you buy the optional new Vive headset strap with built-in headphones), the image is sharper, and the controllers feel more like your hands. Vive has a slightly larger field of view, the sensors can see a little further, there’s a bit more room for glasses in the headset, and the controllers feel more like guns in your hand. Vive sensors can “see” a little further, Rift can use more than two sensors to give better 360-degree coverage (and pretty much needs three to equal Vive’s two). Vive sensors need power outlets nearby, Rift sensors need to be plugged into your computer with long USB cables. Software-wise Rift’s “Home” feels like a more polished product (and the newly announced Rift Dash looks even better), SteamVR is integrated into Steam and can be better customized (though Rift Dash is adding some customizations next year).

The Vive is supposed to be a little better than Occulous, is that true? Does the Occulous support player location?

What do you mean by "player location"? Are you talking about positional tracking (like being able to move your head forward and backward and side to side in space)?

Regardless, the two are virtually identical. The main difference is that the Vive's tracking solution is more reliable and slightly easier to set up in a space.

Lakuza

The Vive is supposed to be a little better than Occulous, is that true? Does the Occulous support player location?

Vive supports perfect roomscale out of the box. For oculus you just need to buy an extra sensor for perfect roomscale so they are both equal and play the exact same games (you can achieve room scale with the 2 sensors you get by default but its not 100% perfect, whereas with the 3rd sensor it works perfectly). Although if you have a giant play space, vive tracks better over longer distances.

oculus also has better controllers (analog stick + finger gestures)

Vive will get knuckles controllers next year which has more finger gesture controls than oculus but still keeps the trackpad instead of analog sticks.

Top Bottom