• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Watched a few videos, almost seems like the PSP/Vita version has some improvements? Or just stick with the DS version?
Go with the PSP/Vita version. It has some great improvements. Plus it has a downloadable character!

Screen looks nicer too!

Or if you have an Xbox One:
metalslugxx.jpg

Get the Arcade version.

What's eating your strokes, getting on the greeen, or putting? Or both?

The former (Get in!)

I always over or under shoot my intended target since the arrow guide doesn't represent the maximum range of your particular clubs. Also, I'm not sure the point of hitting low or high shots.

petran79

Banned
You know what game I also really want to be on the Switch?

Spin Master
spin1-3.png

I absolutely loved playing this game on Neo Geo (after Metal Slug of course) and I would love to see it on Switch.

People have told me that the game is a piece of trash so maybe it's just my childhood nostalgia kicking in but still.

Used to be one of my favorite arcade cabs and it was quite popular too.

The former (Get in!)

I always over or under shoot my intended target since the arrow guide doesn't represent the maximum range of your particular clubs. Also, I'm not sure the point of hitting low or high shots.

Yeah, there is a little bit of math there. A few tips that might help. (I tried to write them a little more generalized for anyone to follow)

Driving
  • Get a feel for how the angle (the second timed slider) modifies the shot. Center is not necessarily always ideal.
  • A low shot has some properties to it like cutting through wind. Wind angle compared to shot angle matters!
  • A high shot will be affected more greatly by wind but has advantages such as overcoming/avoiding obstacles.
  • Use a combination of angle and hook / slice (B/X using default inputs) to fine tune and place yourself in advantageous positions based on the course layout and current wind situation.
  • Keep in mind that in certain scenarios moving down to a shorter ranged club and over powering, as well a higher range and under power, might be safer. To avoid hazards, for example.
  • Each golfer has different attributes and clubs (this second point is easily missed!) so each one has different adjustments needed for each hole.
An example: Say you are not quite on the green, but you are close. 48y away and your shortest range club is 100y. Fortunately this is a pretty easy shot, or so it seems. Hit just shy of 50% power and you should be good! But you screw up your timing and lock in closer to 55% - 60%, not the end of the world, but you might overshoot. Angling the shot up higher will cause more air time and will cut back, maybe by only a few yards, but it will help! Although if the wind is strong behind your back angling high might push even farther past so aiming more for Nice might be better. It is all about getting a grasp of how each knob adjusts the outcome and tweaking as best you can.

Putting
  • First the obvious may not be so obvious. The white line while putting simply tells you how far the ball will travel in a vacuum. This is a reference point, not a guarantee to sink if you nail the timing mini-game.
  • If it is perfectly flat, no grain? Leaving the angle pointed directly at the hole and nailing the timing will sink it every time. One notch below or above will very likely go in as well. Two away? You are pushing it.
  • If there is a hill then angle is key. Going directly uphill? Leave the angle, hit a notch or two above to compensate (depends on the hill and distance, hitting on the white line can likely be fine here as well)
  • Straight Downhill? Ball is going to gain speed, you likely need to shoot a little under the white line so it does not gain too much speed.
  • Straight combination up and downhill? If both "heights" are equal (really distance since it is a 2d game, after all) then they cancel each other out, aim for white line. One bigger than the other? Gonna have to figure out the adjustment based on potential speed gain and loss (not as hard as it may sound.)
  • Angled hills, this is where things get tricky, depending on your angle of approach you need to adjust your shot angle the equivalent in the opposite direction. WHILE ALSO.. keeping in mind you may lose or gain some speed if going up or downhill. These shots are tricky so you want to try to setup your putt to be as direct as possible. Easier said than done, of course.
  • Finally grain. This is a sort of friction. Pay attention to the angle the grain is pointing in. Working against the grain? You are going to need to hit a little harder to overcome it. Working with the grain? You might need to ease up a little, especially if it is a longer shot since there will be less friction overall.
The grain part can't be overstated. You can run into a scenario where based on grain and hill approach you need to hit quite a bit higher, or lower, than what the white line is suggesting. It all depends on the situation and factors in play. That said, don't let how wordy these tips are overwhelm. I just tried to cover as many scenarios as possible. You get a feel for it very quickly once you know what you are looking at.

OH! Can't forget to mention if you want to see the extremes of how the golfer stats change things play with the last 3 golfers. Shot Maker has an incredibly slow timing gauge, Power Golfer lets you crack the ball but little angle adjustment, and Putt Master has way more granularity with putts (number of notches). If you are struggling with one aspect playing a bit with the extremes might help to figure it out.

Yeah, there is a little bit of math there. A few tips that might help. (I tried to write them a little more generalized for anyone to follow)

• Get a feel for how the angle (the second timed slider) modifies the shot. Center is not necessarily always ideal.
  • A low shot has some properties to it like cutting through wind. Wind angle compared to shot angle matters!
  • A high shot will be affected more greatly by wind but has advantages such as overcoming/avoiding obstacles.
  • Use a combination of angle and hook / slice (B/X using default inputs) to fine tune and place yourself in advantageous positions based on the course layout and current wind situation.
  • Keep in mind that in certain scenarios moving down to a shorter ranged club and over powering, as well a higher range and under power, might be safer. To avoid hazards, for example.
  • Each golfer has different attributes and clubs (this second point is easily missed!) so each one has different adjustments needed for each hole.

Different clubs? That's wild.

Thanks for the tips.

chronomac

Any putting tips? That's where I struggle most. I can get to the green relatively consistently but unless it's a straight, level shot…yeah.

AmyS

Does anyone get mixed up with all those SFII clones like I do?

And how a few of them were on Neo Geo MVS/AES hardware while many were not.

Fighter's History series (Data East)
*Fighter's History - Fighter's History Dynamite aka Karnov's Revenge

Power Instinct series (Atlus)
*Power Instinct, Power Instinct 2, Power Instinct Legends, Groove On Fight

Breakers, Breakers Revenge (Visco)

Martial Champion (Konami)

Kaiser Knuckle aka Global Champion (Taito)

A couple examples in the form of EGM arcade preview scans.

I'm probably missing a ton of others.

Also reading this GAF thread: Soo many Street Fighter II Clones!

I'd go for Breaker's Revenge and Fighter's History Dynamite / Karnov's Revenge on Switch any day.

tribal24

Banned
Was thinking of getting Fatal Fury but i think i would just play it once compared to some of the other neo geo game i own on the Switch. Hows shock troopers? and how would it compare to lets say blaster master zero? i know its not a neo geo game but in terms of value.

Bought Samurai Showdown and I can't really enjoy it on portable mode. Someone needs to release a cross shaped thing that clicks onto the buttons and forms a dpad.

Bought Samurai Showdown and I can't really enjoy it on portable mode. Someone needs to release a cross shaped thing that clicks onto the buttons and forms a dpad.

Yeah, bought it earlier but I'm glad I got it. Would get Joycons for fighters instantly. I used to play it a lot back in the day. I really dislike the default filter they have, I took that right off. Also, if you hit + in Caravan mode, is there really no way to get back to the game without restarting?

I somehow caused a game of Neo Turf Masters to crash on me mid game. I don't know how but it just crashed to the Neo Geo bios and everything.

Was thinking of getting Fatal Fury but i think i would just play it once compared to some of the other neo geo game i own on the Switch. Hows shock troopers? and how would it compare to lets say blaster master zero? i know its not a neo geo game but in terms of value.

Shock Troopers is incredible. I can't say much about Blaster Master Zero, don't own it but Shock Troopers is one of SNK's best in my opinion.

I got this and it seems surprisingly easy. Smashed the first three opponents on level 4 without losing a round. I'm fucking shite as well. Pure (educated) mashing. Fourth chap gave me some gip but did him the second time then went to bed. Surely it wasn't that easy in the arcade?

Felensis

Banned
So I'm fairly new to the NeoGeo cosmos and aside from SFII I'm not really into fighting games. Do you guys still recommend any of these NeoGeo fighting games to me? Also I probably won't get that much opportunity to play them against other people (or do these games support online play?). Other than that I suppose if I want to get into NeoGeo on Switch games like Turf Masters, Metal Slug, Alpha Mission or Over The Top are the way to go?

PtM

Banned
So I'm fairly new to the NeoGeo cosmos and aside from SFII I'm not really into fighting games. Do you guys still recommend any of these NeoGeo fighting games to me? Also I probably won't get that much opportunity to play them against other people (or do these games support online play?). Other than that I suppose if I want to get into NeoGeo on Switch games like Turf Masters, Metal Slug, Alpha Mission or Over The Top are the way to go?
KoF 98, or better yet, wait for Garou.

Forkball

SNK has so many great fighters. I would highly recommend both King of Fighters 98 and Samurai Shodown IV. However, keep in mind that there is no online play and there is only arcade mode (though you can play against another human player as well). If you play only by yourself, there's not a whole lot to do except run though arcade mode several times. But if you don't mind that, $8 is a good entry point.

Personally though, I'm holding off on dipping again in KoF98 in case Ultimate Match ever hits the Switch.

Waku Waku 7 and / or Samurai Shodown 4 are good too.

For non-fighting games, Turf Masters, Metal Slug 1 and 3, and Shock Troopers are your best bets. Go with Metal Slug 1 first.

Try Metal Slug 1. It's short, only about 6 missions/stages, and it goes by quickly. I used 28 continues on my first run, which is an embarrassment to say the least.

I used 28 continues on my first run, which is an embarrassment to say the least.

Aw, man. Now see, this bums me out. I realize you are doing self-deprecation for funsies, but I think people lose sight that a not insignificant portion of the video game audience only ever beat Contra using the Konami code. I don't know off the top of my head what that translates to as far as continues, but it is quite a few. Even many of the tough guys who didn't use it still didn't 1CC it since the NES version throws a few continues at you.

It is why I put the tension meter together. I wish people were more comfortable about discussing how they are improving without feeling the need to berate their accomplishments because it is not as good as some arbitrary bar. Though I totally understand where that instinct comes from.

In short, in complete sincerity, congratulations on beating Metal Slug in 28 continues. Don't downplay it, and I look forward to hearing you got it down to 23ish, or whatever. Report back, I'd love to hear it.

Eolz

Go with the PSP/Vita version. It has some great improvements. Plus it has a downloadable character!

Screen looks nicer too!

Or if you have an Xbox One:

Get the Arcade version.

If I got both a 360 and PSP/Vita, which is the best version? I had the PSP version in the past. Is Leona in both versions too?

Sapiens

So, I bought Metal Slug 3 (regretting it, because MS1 is so much tighter) to get a feel for the emulation and whatnot and I have to say, I'm really not a fan of the UI and the massive amounts of delay that occur when you open it up.

It feels very unintuitive and I'm hoping they're working on a solution to make it better.

Also, is there no way to get console-mode for MS3? There was some nice Slug-cannon lock control options there I want to use.

Bought Shock Troopers the other week and loved it and the idea of my Switch being a Neo Geo machine is very appealing. I'm still a bit put off by the 'd-pad' for fighting games though. I'm not wanting to play to any sort of high standard or anything, but how much of an issue is it pulling off moves in KoF, Waku Waku 7, World Heroes etc?

Aw, man. Now see, this bums me out. I realize you are doing self-deprecation for funsies, but I think people lose sight that a not insignificant portion of the video game audience only ever beat Contra using the Konami code. I don't know off the top of my head what that translates to as far as continues, but it is quite a few. Even many of the tough guys who didn't use it still didn't 1CC it since the NES version throws a few continues at you.

It is why I put the tension meter together. I wish people were more comfortable about discussing how they are improving without feeling the need to berate their accomplishments because it is not as good as some arbitrary bar. Though I totally understand where that instinct comes from.

In short, in complete sincerity, congratulations on beating Metal Slug in 28 continues. Don't downplay it, and I look forward to hearing you got it down to 23ish, or whatever. Report back, I'd love to hear it.

Will do :D

Do you have any tips? Like, I keep my character in the middle of the screen so as not to be killed by encroaching enemies off-screen, and I shoot from a ducked position a lot unless bullets are coming down like hail then I'm jumping all over the place like a crazed monkey. I guess it varies from stage to stage, but are there some fundamental rules to keep in mind when playing?

Thanks!

Felensis

Banned
KoF 98, or better yet, wait for Garou.

SNK has so many great fighters. I would highly recommend both King of Fighters 98 and Samurai Shodown IV. However, keep in mind that there is no online play and there is only arcade mode (though you can play against another human player as well). If you play only by yourself, there's not a whole lot to do except run though arcade mode several times. But if you don't mind that, $8 is a good entry point.

Personally though, I'm holding off on dipping again in KoF98 in case Ultimate Match ever hits the Switch.

Try Metal Slug 1. It's short, only about 6 missions/stages, and it goes by quickly. I used 28 continues on my first run, which is an embarrassment to say the least.

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I start with MS1 instead of a fighting game since I most probably will be limited to playing arcade mode in those fighters.

Do you have any tips? Like, I keep my character in the middle of the screen so as not to be killed by encroaching enemies off-screen, and I shoot from a ducked position a lot unless bullets are coming down like hail then I'm jumping all over the place like a crazed monkey. I guess it varies from stage to stage, but are there some fundamental rules to keep in mind when playing?

Thanks!

I think the biggest thing I notice about observing people playing slug is the tendency to constantly press forward. And I get it, momentum feels awesome. Though, it is kind of like racing games, you want to just always be pressing the gas, even if that isn't the best idea going into a turn.

Slowing down, or even stopping entirely on occasion, can make a world of difference in saving lives. Watch a 1CC on youtube and pay attention to how they pace themselves. Letting guys come to them so they can knife 'em and conserve some of that good ammo. Breaking up the action to not get fatigued. You are often in more control of a screen of bad dudes than it may appear because so much shit is popping off at any moment. Pacing helps keep it all in check.

▼ To counter both our points. Sometimes aggression is the winning move. Sometimes you gotta rush in and wreck shit before it becomes a problem. Generally slowing down helps a ton. It is an action game, though, and will respond to how hard you push.

Tain

Thanks!

For Metal Slug, you want to scroll the screen slowly to avoid letting it fill up with enemies. This is key for a good chunk of the game, but there are parts that can get hairy regardless.

I remember the midboss of stage 3 giving me trouble and I don't remember what clicked that let me pretty consistently beat him. It's been a while! I want to say it had something to do with always being under him? He's probably the most "random" part of the game, but I think it's an awesome fight.

I also remember keeping the Slug alive as long as possible. Sounds like common sense, but you definitely want to minimize damage to it. And if you don't know, crouching while in the Slug lets you throw your on-foot grenades VERY RAPIDLY. This can trivialize certain bosses, even.

Metal Slug is kind of unique in that it doesn't give any extra lives for score or have any 1up pickups to speak of. Try not to get discouraged!

sheaaaa

As tempting as these games are, is there a case to be made for waiting for a possible Virtual Console release of the "console" versions of the games? Or are the arcade versions feature-complete enough that it doesn't matter?

Peltz

I think the biggest thing I notice about observing people playing slug is the tendency to constantly press forward. And I get it, momentum feels awesome. Though, it is kind of like racing games, you want to just always be pressing the gas, even if that isn't the best idea going into a turn.

Slowing down, or even stopping entirely on occasion, can make a world of difference in saving lives. Watch a 1CC on youtube and pay attention to how they pace themselves. Letting guys come to them so they can knife 'em and conserve some of that good ammo. Breaking up the action to not get fatigued. You are often in more control of a screen of bad dudes than it may appear because so much shit is popping off at any moment. Pacing helps keep it all in check.
I can 1 cc metal slug 1 most of the time. Get really good at grenades. Don't be afraid to spam them agressively. Agreed that moving forward isn't always adviseable. Don't be afraid to cover the screen in defensive gun fire. Don't just shoot to kill... shoot in areas where enemies might go as well to stay safe.

You want low level enemies to basically be dead before they get a shot off. Kill them immediately when they get on screen. Sometimes that means shooting before they are visible.

Glowsquid

Thanks!

You fire faster when crouched.

When you jump ou of the Metal Slug, you're invincible for like half-a-second after you land. The final boss of MS3 is built all around this trick.

When you pick up a weapon you already have, you get 1.5 of its ammo capacity. So the Heavy Machine Gun gives 200 ammo initially and 150 when you pick another one. If you have less than 50 ammo left and there's a pick-up nearby, it's actually better to waste all of your remaining ammo and then pick up the weapon.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so how is the hamster ports so far? on par with M2?

the ports are pretty great. my biggest issue comes down to missing polish. Scanlines aren't quite great, no CRT filter, and damn what I wouldn't give for a compatible NEOGEO home stick. But I mean these are REALLY stretching complaints.

If I got both a 360 and PSP/Vita, which is the best version? I had the PSP version in the past. Is Leona in both versions too?
Hmm that's a good question! Let me try and explain it.

So first of all both PSP/Vita version and 360 Arcade (it's BC with the One!) have multiplayer and co-op. The DS version did not have it. It was single player only. I guess if you want multiplayer with friends without having to have multiple portables then go for the Arcade version cause of multiple controllers.

Here I got this from the Wiki:
  • The screen is not re-dimensioned anymore, like in the Nintendo DS. Additionally, the player can select the aspect ratio of the screen:
    4:3 (Classic aspect ratio with designed borders at left and right of the screen)
    Wide (Fullscreen)
    Clear (Like "4:3" but with a smaller screen for better visual quality)
  • Rebel Troops reuse their sound effects from Metal Slug 6 (PSP only).
  • Old enemies reappear again, such as the Mars People and the Hunters.
  • Change in items, slugs, and enemy placement.
  • Multiplayer mode by using ad hoc and online services.
  • Leona Heidern as a downloadable character (Costs $0.99). Yes it is on both the PSN and Xbox Live Store!
  • New missions in the Combat School mode.
  • New Hidden Routes:
    Mission 1 - There should be a pitfall/hole before the Di-Cokka and the DANGER barrel. Go there and fight the hunters.
    Mission 5a - When you reach the end of the second part of the stage, it says GO right. Instead, go left until you find a teleporter. Go in the teleporter and fight UFOs and tons of soldiers.
    Mission 5b - Just like Mission 5a but do not go in the teleporter. Jump over it. You should fight hordes of Mars Peoples in there.
Be warned that this version has extremely blurry scaling (if you care about that sort of thing) that you cannot turn off.
Oh does it? I need to play it again and check it out. I wasn't bothered with the way it looks but it's super nice to have the option there!

Then again I never had a huge issue with the PS4 version of Metal Slug Anthology so don't take my word for it!

Thanks!

You've probably noticed this by now, but the splash damage on grenades kills anybody above the explosion to let you compensate for not being able to shoot diagonally. So in Mission 5, where there are guys in the houses firing down at you from angles you can't shoot back from, you'll want to throw a grenade so that it exploded under them.

I have a question, are the Neo Geo games all in one collection, or is it a slow trickle of new games... See I am confused as I see numerous different Neo Geo titles listed and excitement. Thanks!

hatchx

Banned
The Neo Geo games are great, but I'm having a hell of a hard time grasping the controls. Using the R/ZR for start, and switching between dual joycon and single joycon isn't inuitive.

I got Waku Waku 7 and Shock Troopers. Both are definitely fun. Really surprised about how good the animation is in Waku Waku 7. Shock Troopers is a little more 'dump' fun, and the controls have a weird lag to them when moving/aiming that takes getting used to, but ultimately a lot of fun, and fun to have infinite amounts of retries.

Any other recommendations? Is Metal Slug worth it? I know it's hard, but with infinite 'coins' it might be my bag. Love co-op shooter stuff.

Top Bottom