• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

BumRush

I went from Panasonic Plasma to KU6300 and was very pleased with the upgrade. The Panny was starting to get permanent burn-in and it was really small for the living room.
PS4 Pro looks awesome on the Samsung. Receiving my LG 55B6 next month so hoping to see even bigger upgrade this time.

Kuro PDP4280XD to 65 B6 OLED.
Well it's better in every single way, except I find it a tad more juddery for 24fps content. Colours, detail, brightness are just so much better. No regrets. Blacks are also perfect now. My Kuro was good but not this good. Really makes the picture pop more.

went from 9g non-elite kuro to the tcl p series. granted probably not exactly a fair comparison with the latter being a budget tv.

native 4k content looks excellent. anything below that is a mixed bag. 1080p upscaled looks good but 1080i/720p stuff over cable looks worse especially in the motion department. better 120hz lcd sets with motion related settings would probably make it less noticeable though.

screen uniformity is also noticeably worse although i'm not sure if thats just the set or lcds in general as i see this complaint on even the most expensive lcds. dirty screen effect is a lot more noticeable. not to mention the darker corners and flashlighting. local dimming helps with latter, especially on letterboxed content but the darker corners and dirty screen effect is a bit annoying when i notice it in certain situations.

once again i'm comparing a $3000 to a $600 set so...

My mate has gone from a 50" Kuro to a 75" Sony x93 and he swears by the Sony.

I have a similar predicament in that I have a Panny VT50 plasma, but y'know, I think going to a bigger TV with 4K and HDR should offset the advantages of an existing plasma.

My family went from two high end Panasonic plasmas(board failure) to two mid range 4k LEDs and it's a noticeable downgrade. OLED is really the only way to stay on par or better if you value picture quality.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Theonik

You sure you're not confusing it with the LG player? I don't remember any Sony announcement. Source please.
That's just iirc. I don't remember what my source was. Sony's player is much better than the LG anyway both in video and build quality. I'd still recommend those three players, though I'd also say look at the lower players in Panasonic's range, largely the same as the higher end model except for build and cosmetics.

ViciousDS

Banned
Just bought myself an LG C7 to arrive Saturday.

Local gaffer bought my KS8000, so he gets to have fun tinkering with that hehe.

Are there any good threads or posts for the preferred settings on the C7? I would possibly assume since the panel itself isn't too different from last years model that those settings might even be relevant.

That's just iirc. I don't remember what my source was. Sony's player is much better than the LG anyway both in video and build quality. I'd still recommend those three players, though I'd also say look at the lower players in Panasonic's range, largely the same as the higher end model except for build and cosmetics.
No DV no buy. Otherwise the Sony player would be my first choice.

Thorrgal

Just bought myself an LG C7 to arrive Saturday.

Local gaffer bought my KS8000, so he gets to have fun tinkering with that hehe.

Are there any good threads or posts for the preferred settings on the C7? I would possibly assume since the panel itself isn't too different from last years model that those settings might even be relevant.

They indeed are. I have a 2014 one and the general guidelines are the same As a rule of thumb turn of all the post- processing effects, like super-resolution, dynamic contrast, true motion etc. Oled light is user preference. Some like it low, around 40-50 but I prefere it high, 90 or so. Contrast around 80-90. Color whatever feels more natural, so 50-60, playing also with the color extension field. It varies with fhe source too, as I tend to prefer it a bit higher depending on the game.

And finally the key to the panel, which is brightness and gamma. On my OLED I use Black level low/brightness 54/gamma medium for most content, but I hear on the newer models it's closer to 50. Black level has to match the rgb mode of your device/source. On the PS4 I think is RGB limited=black level low, RGB full= black level high. In turn, if you chose that option (black level high) you'll have to lower the brightness (to 44 in my case). You'll have to do some research on those. Also, I can't help you with the HDR settings.

Anyway I'm sure you can find better info out there, but hope that can help you get started.

I love my 65B6 OLED......

But jesus, it's rather insane how fast retention appears when a very bright picture of something is displayed. For example last weekend with Fortnite. You see a bright yellow box to the right of the screen in loading screens and it's being displayed for barely a minute but i already see the retention of it.

However, no HUD elements like minimap, ammo counter etc....so that's good. Long as it stays that way i'm ok.

Kyoufu

But jesus, it's rather insane how fast retention appears when a very bright picture of something is displayed. For example last weekend with Fortnite. You see a bright yellow box to the right of the screen in loading screens and it's being displayed for barely a minute but i already see the retention of it.

However, no HUD elements like minimap, ammo counter etc....so that's good. Long as it stays that way i'm ok.

I find that so weird. On my E6, it'd have to be hours for retention to be noticeable on a loading screen and even then it's so faint.

Kudo

Is your OLED brand new? Heard its worse at first.
How fast does it fade away?

Yeah. I'm kind of concerned what HDR will do to OLEDs over time especially since it's becoming more common.

I find that so weird. On my E6, it'd have to be hours for retention to be noticeable on a loading screen and even then it's so faint.

Yeah i wish it was the same here. But i do believe some reviews had this in their cons for the B6, that retention appears too fast. It's a big bummer after having owned the EC9300 and never having any retention. It's like i'm fucking returning to plasma or something. I'll definitely pay careful attention to it and if it gets too bad i'll call the store.

Maybe some 65B6 owners can chime in here and tell me if they have this as well. It's only with very bright things. So say you are using Youtube and you see those bright colour boxes or in any game a bright red/yellow/white colored box....that's when it definitely happens.

Is your OLED brand new? Heard its worse at first.
How fast does it fade away?

37 days ago i bought the brand new B6.

This for Example

https://imgur.com/gallery/5kRVq

I displayed it for a minute, plenty of retention after that. It was gone in 40 seconds.

65" Sony A1 OLED now ordered to replace my Panasonic VT50 plasma.

Sure, there's some areas in which the plasma is better than the OLED, but the plasma ain't 4K, doesn't have HDR and isn't 65". Plus I'm only paying £2,900 for it thanks to my buddy at Sony Liverpool. 👍🏻

Anarion07

Yellow seems to be the worst colour in terms of retention. I always notice it in the Amazon Video App on the lower right.

Yellow seems to be the worst colour in terms of retention. I always notice it in the Amazon Video App on the lower right.

Definitely. That's why I'm not yet calling the shop and/or LG. It's nothing like the plasma televisions I've owned where I always had to be careful with static HUDS like games as GTA V and such. I remember on older plasma televisions seeing the minimap retention for quite a while and it's not like that now. I still don't like it though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
65" Sony A1 OLED now ordered to replace my Panasonic VT50 plasma.

Sure, there's some areas in which the plasma is better than the OLED, but the plasma ain't 4K, doesn't have HDR and isn't 65". Plus I'm only paying £2,900 for it thanks to my buddy at Sony Liverpool. ����

I wish I could just blow that kind of money on a TV. Now, you did get an amazing deal on it. The 65A1 is 60K SEK (£5,600) here in Sweden, lol.

Anarion07

Definitely. That's why I'm not yet calling the shop and/or LG. It's nothing like the plasma televisions I've owned where I always had to be careful with static HUDS like games as GTA V and such. I remember on older plasma televisions seeing the minimap retention for quite a while and it's not like that now. I still don't like it though.

The weird thing is, it's so inconsistend. In the Amazon Video app it happens after like 1 or 2 minutes.

Then again I can have Diablo 3 or Bloodborne running for hours and not see any retention of HUD elements.

Anyway, it's not there for long anyway

BumRush

Hopefully it's just like plasma in that it gets better over time. My plasma was a retention machine for the first year...now I can leave something on the screen for hours and somehow escape with mild retention at worst.

The weird thing is, it's so inconsistend. In the Amazon Video app it happens after like 1 or 2 minutes.

Then again I can have Diablo 3 or Bloodborne running for hours and not see any retention of HUD elements.

Anyway, it's not there for long anyway

Yep same here man. Been playing Dark Souls 3 last weekend and Fortnite and some GTA V and i never noticed any retention of the minimap or anything like that. However in DS3 i have the option enabled for the HUD disappearing but not for Fortnite and GTA V.
But as soon as something is very bright, Xbox dashboard, Youtube, Crunchyroll, or something in a load screen in a game i will see it.

With a bit of luck this will even improve.

Hopefully it's just like plasma in that it gets better over time. My plasma was a retention machine for the first year...now I can leave something on the screen for hours and somehow escape with mild retention at worst.

Yeah that would be great.

Oh by the way, apparently LG IS working on fixing the HDR game mode:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-lg-c6-b6-owners-thread-681.html#post54489233

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-lg-c6-b6-owners-thread-681.html#post54489345

Anarion07

Since we're talking about the B6, has anyone of you ever had a problem when exiting HDR Game mode and returning to the PS4 OS, that the colours were way off? like green-ish?

edit: Not just for the PS4 UI but also the screensaver pictures (doggo, shroom etc)

Since we're talking about the B6, has anyone of you ever had a problem when exiting HDR Game mode and returning to the PS4 OS, that the colours were way off? like green-ish?

edit: Not just for the PS4 UI but also the screensaver pictures (doggo, shroom etc)

I wish I could help out man but my friend with his Pro and One S is back home again. Next time I'll have a HDR system here is when the X comes out. :)

JG5253

Player reviews tend to be quite iffy, because the nature of the product makes it hard to get good measurements from it so have to rely on the experience of the reviewer. We've had some really bad players so far though. Xbox One, and the Samsung are two to avoid.
The current 'Holy Trinity' of sorts is the Panasonic DMP-UB900, Sony UBP-X800, or the Oppo UDP-203/5. Panasonic has the best quality overall with the Sony, and lastly the Oppo, but the Sony and Oppo support DV which is not worth much right now but might be something you want.

The Oppo had huge issues at launch. The Panasonic and Sony were better. I think those might be addressed in a FW update since though. The UDP-203 was certainly a disappointment.
My LG UP970 has been great so far. Need to test more UHDs but John Wick chapter 2 looks awesome. It's also rumored to get DV next month

Mrbob

Sony hasn't announced DV support for their 4k Blu Ray player yet. Oppo has updated to DV already and LG will soon.

It's interesting the difference in support between disc and streamed. Dolby Vision might be slow on the uptake in discs but has plenty of support on streaming sites. I finally have a use for these digital copies on Vudu because many of their uhd streams support dolby vision. The irony about buying these 4k movie discs which have only hdr10 on them... The digital copy unlocks on Vudu and Vudu only supports dv right now. But it's nice to have both versions to compare.

Those worrying about hdr10 vs Dolby Vision with sets that dont have DV, I wouldn't worry too much about hdr10 going away. Games on Xbox and PS4 support hdr10, most hdr shows on Netflix and Amazon are hdr10 too. Also Vudu is adding HDR10 support later this year to all their uhd dv streams. Plus 4k movie disc is required to have hdr 10. Dolby Vision is going to get more prolific, but hdr10 isn't going away.

JG5253

Sort of in the same boat, except I haven't bought my TV yet. Was all but set on the X900E, but now I'm, like you, thinking I kind of need DV so my TV won't feel out of date in a year.

HDR10 will be supported as a "fallback" on all DV discs and such, that's not the issue. But it seems like pretty much all studios are now going all-in on DV, and apparently (haven't seen it in person myself) it really does make a noticeable difference compared to regular HDR. So yeah, that X930E is starting to look more and more interesting. On top of that, I'm thinking I kinda need a 65", where before I thought 55" would be more than enough. Not set on that yet though.

But wow, I WISH it was just $400 more here (and that the X900E was just $1400, for that matter). Swedish prices:

X900E 55": 17K SEK / $2,000
X900E 65": 25K SEK / $3,000
X930E 55": 28K SEK / $3,400
X930E 65": 37K SEK / $4,500

So just to go from the 900 to the 930 at 55", I'd be paying $1,400 more.

*maniacal laughter*

Fuck Swedish TV prices.
Have you considered TCL P607? Is it an option? Dolby Vision support/HDR 10, DD+ over ARC, geat input lag at 15ms, FALD, built in Roku 4k interface (which is Great) , Live Ota pause and rewind. Remote headphone aux. All this for $650 is great value imo. I bought it and love it so far. Plus it's cheap enough that it will hold me over until better OLED with HDMI 2.1 and more 4k content comes out. Won't feel too bad upgrading this TV as well

zeeaykay

Does anyone know if the Xbox One X is supposed to have a better UHD player than the One S or is it going to be the same thing? Or are we just not sure yet? I'd be surprised if the X or both don't eventually get DV support.

ApharmdX

Banned
Anyone go from a Kuro or close (mid to high end plasma) to a 4K LED? Interested in how the experience was.

I went from a Pioneer 500M to two different LCDs, and then to OLED two years later. OLED is the only thing that feels like a "full" upgrade and you still lose out with regards to motion and uniformity. You gotta remember that the contrast ratio and/or black level of the Kuros and the later Panasonic plasmas is better than any LCD made to this day despite their age, including the Sony Z9D, Vizio 2016/2017 P-series, Samsung KS9800, etc. HDR is nice on the brighter 4K LCDs but you do get washed out blacks in scenes with bright highlights next to dark areas. Best thing for me about having an LCD was no burn-in.

BumRush

I went from a Pioneer 500M to two different LCDs, and then to OLED two years later. OLED is the only thing that feels like a "full" upgrade and you still lose out with regards to motion and uniformity. You gotta remember that the contrast ratio and/or black level of the Kuros and the later Panasonic plasmas is better than any LCD made to this day despite their age, including the Sony Z9D, Vizio 2016/2017 P-series, Samsung KS9800, etc. HDR is nice on the brighter 4K LCDs but you do get washed out blacks in scenes with bright highlights next to dark areas. Best thing for me about having an LCD was no burn-in.

All of these posts make me more and more confident about not leaving the tech yet. I hope OLED makers improve motion handling in the next couple of years.

Two questions:

1. Is this a decent set for the price or would I be better of spending $50 more for the TCL S405?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense...-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5897427.p?skuId=5897427

The TV would go in our upstairs living room and we don't do much but watch tv on it and occasional plex usage. I'd be replacing an old 42" 720p set.

2. For my main viewing area I've been eyeing the Vizio 70" M series. I sit about 10 feet from my current 65" and know I need a size increase to get all the benefits. My other option is to stay at 65" with the Sony x900 (the 75" version @ $3,500 is a bit of a stretch at the moment).

BumRush

2. For my main viewing area I've been eyeing the Vizio 70" M series. I sit about 10 feet from my current 65" and know I need a size increase to get all the benefits. My other option is to stay at 65" with the Sony x900 (the 75" version @ $3,500 is a bit of a stretch at the moment).

If you mean stretch as in "financial stretch" I'd wait and grab the 75" you want. Not sure if the 5" difference will be a game changer, but 10" diagonal most certainly will be.

TheBoss1

Have you considered TCL P607? Is it an option? Dolby Vision support/HDR 10, DD+ over ARC, geat input lag at 15ms, FALD, built in Roku 4k interface (which is Great) , Live Ota pause and rewind. Remote headphone aux. All this for $650 is great value imo. I bought it and love it so far. Plus it's cheap enough that it will hold me over until better OLED with HDMI 2.1 and more 4k content comes out. Won't feel too bad upgrading this TV as well

You can't use local dimming in game mode though. You can use it outside game mode but there are conflicting reports about how much higher the input lag is.

If you mean stretch as in "financial stretch" I'd wait and grab the 75" you want. Not sure if the 5" difference will be a game changer, but 10" diagonal most certainly will be.

Considering the Vizio is at $1,700 today, is the extra 5" and other benefits of the Sony really worth literally twice the price?

Wiped89

Well this weekend I tried my first 4K HDR disc on my new OLED (Trainspotting 2)

Holy hell, what a difference. It simply blows my old 4K TV out of the water; HDR makes the picture so damn bright and vibrant, wow. I have never been that impressed with HDR PS4 games, but films are incredible.

I loved it so much, I've gone out and blown £40 on two more 4K discs today (Logan and La La Land, neither of which I have seen). This 4K game is expensive.

HMV had most discs at £25, and I can't justify spending that amount on one single film. £20 is my biting point for these discs.

Very specific question for someone who is:

- Running their 4K set with a PC
- Using a surround sound receiver or pre/pro with HDMI
- Using custom resolutions below 4K but above 1440p with CRU

Are you getting 5.1 audio through HDMI?

Now that i've got a new preamp hooked up, when I restart the graphics driver after inserting the custom resolutions with CRU, it creates an issue where windows can no longer use EDID to identify the preamp and so defaults to 2.0 PCM instead of 5.1.

I ordered a DP to HDMI adapter to just go out to the preamp and run the primary HDMI to the display, so this is sort of a bandaid, but I'd love to just do the single HDMI cable.

I believe it has to do with the driver being "unsigned" once you use CRU to hack in resolutions, but that was based on some cursory research....

Theonik

The X1 Extreme processor sets have dedicated hardware for DV.
I asked you in a previous page but can you cite that claim?
Why would Sony include DV hardware on the Z9D more half a year before they announced any intention to release DV capable sets and more than a year before they actually did?

JG5253

You can't use local dimming in game mode though. You can use it outside game mode but there are conflicting reports about how much higher the input lag is.
True. Some reports say the lag input isn't that much higher than the Sony TV with local dimming. From what I can tell input lag isn't bad with local dimming on. Also hoping they could push an update to allow local dimming in game mode as well

Mrbob

Very specific question for someone who is:

- Running their 4K set with a PC
- Using a surround sound receiver or pre/pro with HDMI
- Using custom resolutions below 4K but above 1440p with CRU

Are you getting 5.1 audio through HDMI?

Now that i've got a new preamp hooked up, when I restart the graphics driver after inserting the custom resolutions with CRU, it creates an issue where windows can no longer use EDID to identify the preamp and so defaults to 2.0 PCM instead of 5.1.

I ordered a DP to HDMI adapter to just go out to the preamp and run the primary HDMI to the display, so this is sort of a bandaid, but I'd love to just do the single HDMI cable.

I believe it has to do with the driver being "unsigned" once you use CRU to hack in resolutions, but that was based on some cursory research....

Interesting. I noticed in sound in windows I could only select stereo and not 5.1, so this might be why. I think it might be an edid reading error as you said. When I look at sound properties Dolby digital and DTS still show up. When I play Bayonetta and Witcher 3 i get 5.1. if CRU is an issue though I might remove it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Not available in Sweden (Europe?), unfortunately. There are no good cheap 4K TVs here, AFAIK. And of the more premium brands, Sony gives me the best vibes. Plus, I'd much rather have Android TV than the stuff Samsung et al use.

BumRush

Considering the Vizio is at $1,700 today, is the extra 5" and other benefits of the Sony really worth literally twice the price?

Obviously, there are factors which only you can answer, but some things to consider:

- when will you buy "the next" TV after this one? If you're a 2-3 year TV owner, go for the Vizio now and start saving for 75" plus later on. If you plan to have it for 5+ years, maybe hold out for the 75" so that you're not constantly thinking you should have gone bigger.

- besides the size, what do the reviews say about the Vizio vs. the Sony. I have zero personal experience with Vizio TVs, so this would be where I would start

- use a price tracker like https://camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-XBR75X850D-Ultra-Smart-75-Inch/product/B01A5LU6R0?context=search to see how similar brand / size TVs perform over time (price-wise). While not a perfect 1:1 correlation, you might be surprised at how quickly that $3,500 becomes $2,400 or less.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sony hasn't announced DV support for their 4k Blu Ray player yet. Oppo has updated to DV already and LG will soon.

It's interesting the difference in support between disc and streamed. Dolby Vision might be slow on the uptake in discs but has plenty of support on streaming sites. I finally have a use for these digital copies on Vudu because many of their uhd streams support dolby vision. The irony about buying these 4k movie discs which have only hdr10 on them... The digital copy unlocks on Vudu and Vudu only supports dv right now. But it's nice to have both versions to compare.

Those worrying about hdr10 vs Dolby Vision with sets that dont have DV, I wouldn't worry too much about hdr10 going away. Games on Xbox and PS4 support hdr10, most hdr shows on Netflix and Amazon are hdr10 too. Also Vudu is adding HDR10 support later this year to all their uhd dv streams. Plus 4k movie disc is required to have hdr 10. Dolby Vision is going to get more prolific, but hdr10 isn't going away.

How would you judge the difference? Is it significant enough to warrant buying a Sony X930E (which will get DV support) over the X900E?

The X1 Extreme processor sets have dedicated hardware for DV.

Hmm, sure? I thought that chip was simply powerful enough to do it through software (Dolby has created such a solution for devices without the dedicated DV hardware). If true, why won't it be enabled until an update in the fall? And why wouldn't Sony include it as a bullet point for those sets?

TheBoss1

I honestly believe Sony excluded DV from lesser sets than the 930E for bullet points. Why does a TCL P607/605 that is half the price have DV, but Sony can't support it? I'm calling bs.

Mrbob

How would you judge the difference? Is it significant enough to warrant buying a Sony X930E (which will get DV support) over the X900E?

One of the reasons I bought my TV (C7) is because it supported all the different HDR formats, so I specifically wanted Dolby Vision support. I'll try to answer the question the best I can in a non scientific eye, but yes Dolby Vision looks better. It handles differences in contrast better. Beyond this, it also handles colors better too. For example, if there is a neon sign you can see the neon light shining off an object better. Now are the differences enough to upgrade to the 930e? That's tough for me to answer for you. There would be some bias in my answer because I bought my TV for DV support.

Maybe I can put it in gaming terms. HDR10 seems like the Xbox One of HDR while Dolby Vision is the PS4 of HDR. There is a difference but you still have access to similar content no matter which format you use. If DV is available I'll be watching a show/movie in that over HDR10. But it doesn't make HDR10 useless. HDR10 still looks good.

Interesting. I noticed in sound in windows I could only select stereo and not 5.1, so this might be why. I think it might be an edid reading error as you said. When I look at sound properties Dolby digital and DTS still show up. When I play Bayonetta and Witcher 3 i get 5.1. if CRU is an issue though I might remove it.

Could you unpack this a bit?

Do you have the same issue? But is it only sometimes? Some of your games (Bayo, W3) seem to work fine?

It seems to me that there is a way to also address this audio issue with CRU, I just don't have enough technical background on how drivers work etc.

The same way you can configure CRU to hack in resolutions, it appears you can hack in audio formats that the receiving device should see as supported. I just can't seem to penetrate a lot of what I'm reading about how to do it.

The display port adapter for audio just seemed like an easier solve.

This is more of a hypothetical, but how high can resolutions go before the human eye can't distinguish the difference? Would anybody notice 4320p as being better than 2160p? What about 8640p? 17280p? Has any research ever been done here?

This is more of a hypothetical, but how high can resolutions go before the human eye can't distinguish the difference? Would anybody notice 4320p as being better than 2160p? What about 8640p? 17280p? Has any research ever been done here?

That's a question that needs to factor in size of screen and viewing distance

Theonik

I honestly believe Sony excluded DV from lesser sets than the 930E for bullet points. Why does a TCL P607/605 that is half the price have DV, but Sony can't support it? I'm calling bs.
I mean. No shit. They chose to put the cheaper processor on the low-mid sets from the 90E down to save money but also to give a USP for the higher end sets.

That's a question that needs to factor in size of screen and viewing distance
More accurately it should factor the visual acuity of the viewer and the field of view.
In the general case with 20/20 vision in a display that fills your FOV you need 16k per eye. (that's the end game for VR)

Salaadin

This was my biggest concern. It's like...I don't mind not having it. I just don't want what I have to be rendered useless.

BumRush

As Redline said, it definitely depends on where you sit and the size of the screen. I'm sure if you're 4-5' from an 80" 4K or 4-5' from an 80" 8K, some folks could discern a difference.

Top Bottom