• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

Would Apple actually allow Nintendo games in the app store?

I mean they could release what.......100+ games overnight and kill off every single other developer in one foul swoop and then pull their games from the store.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
yurinka said:
You missed a couple of sentences:
Mario in iOS would have looses because selling some hundreds of thousands of PAID $0.99 copies isn't enough to pay games with this budget. Only casual shovelware will move from portables to phones, because bigger games only can monetize with this business model, need proper controls and a certain game size barely acceptable for 8GB devices.

Maybe you didn't see the question I was responding to..

Cipherr

Meier said:
When Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 7 sell 2-3 million copies a piece this Christmas in the US and in turn make that of a few hundred million copies of Angry Birds make, what will analysts say then?

Nothing. This is Nintendos honeymoon coming to an end. And it was pretty much guaranteed to happen eventually. Nintendo is not going to just die and sell iOS games. Never going to happen. So they will claim doom, and when the 3DS hits its stride they just wont write about it. Stock will keep moving down to level off somewhere more reasonable than the crazy heights that the Wii sent it to also even right through the successful holiday season.

Vamphuntr

I think the analysts are right about their ideas but that doesn't mean that the 3DS will be a failure. Investors flocked to Nintendp because they were able to attract casual gamers with Brain Age, Nintendogs and touch generations titles. The thing is that now cellphone offers these casual experience at a much cheaper price without requiring you to buy a 3DS. Everyone pretty much have a cellphone so you don't need additional hardware to play casual games. Cellphones' userbase is always going to be more important than a handheld's userbase. Investors believe the company is missing the boat by not exploiting this new market and/or not offering something unique that will attract that kind of gamers to the 3DS.

Gamers wise, the 3DS sill still do extremely well.

iphone iphone iphone facebook farmville angry birds iphone iphone iphone angry birds iphone iphone iphone facebook farmville angry birds iphone iphone iphone angry birds iphone iphone iphone facebook farmville angry birds iphone iphone iphone angry birds iphone iphone iphone facebook farmville angry birds iphone iphone iphone angry birds iphone iphone iphone facebook farmville angry birds iphone iphone iphone angry birds iphone iphone iphone facebook farmville angry birds iphone iphone iphone angry birds

dream

Why does everyone think Nintendo games would have to be priced at 99c? I can see a range of prices from 99c to a few dollars for catalog titles and more traditional price points for new releases.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Perhaps the most disappointing thing with the 3DS thus far is the lack of NEW content from talented development teams (particularly of the first party variety).

I love sequels as much as the next guy, but the 3DS lineup reads like that of every other Nintendo system. I'm happy to see a new Mario game, but wouldn't you also like to see, say, the team behind Zelda or some other group at EAD tackle a new game? Why were/are people excited for stuff like Uncharted, The Last Guardian, Bioshock, Shadows of the Damned, inFamous, Portal, Heavy Rain, Bayonetta, Mass Effect, Gears of War and Child of Eden? None of these series existed before this generation yet every one of them comes from a developer with a track record for producing amazing games. When you allow a talented team to come in and create something new the results are usually going to be incredible.

This is what I want to see out of Nintendo. I want to see the world class teams at EAD come up with something original yet in the spirit of games they've created previously. Zelda is a great series, but what about a new action adventure series from that group? It wouldn't have to play like Zelda, of course, but could be something of that magnitude and type. What about a new platformer with a unique mechanic, aesthetic, and level design from the Mario Galaxy team? I know these franchises are basically a license to print money, but it's disappointing seeing the exact same lineup of games once again on another platform. All the regulars are here. Why not allow at least one of those teams to create something original with the potential to become huge? They struck gold with the Wii* series of titles (Sports, Play, etc), but those really don't appeal in the same way that a good Zelda game does (at least to the non-casual crowd).

Let's see something new, Nintendo!

Azure J

DefectiveReject said:
Would Apple actually allow Nintendo games in the app store?

I mean they could release what.......100+ games overnight and kill off every single other developer in one foul swoop and then pull their games from the store.

Damn, now I want to see this shit happen. :lol

Then again, watch Nintendo put content up and no one cares because "eh, it's no big deal." Sometimes, I think the hype and pressure people place on Nintendo to "adapt" to making iOS games is just a matter of "they have to because it's the in thing".

Edit: Guy above me gets it though.

Deadstar

I wonder if Wii U will be canceled and they come up with something more technologically advanced. What Nintendo will have to do is create games that aren't possible on any other device. I'm talking Avatar quality graphics. Imagine Mario 64 but with Avatar graphics.

antonz

All you have to do is follow the investor Q&As to know how terrible most of the stockholders are. They don't give a shit about Nintendo or gaming. I mean the last one had a guy basically saying Mario games need to be on every platform under the sun.

dark10x said:
Perhaps the most disappointing thing with the 3DS thus far is the lack of NEW content from talented development teams (particularly of the first party variety).

I love sequels as much as the next guy, but the 3DS lineup reads like that of every other Nintendo system. I'm happy to see a new Mario game, but wouldn't you also like to see, say, the team behind Zelda or some other group at EAD tackle a new game? Why were/are people excited for stuff like Uncharted, The Last Guardian, Bioshock, Shadows of the Damned, inFamous, Portal, Heavy Rain, Bayonetta, Mass Effect, Gears of War and Child of Eden? None of these series existed before this generation yet every one of them comes from a developer with a track record for producing amazing games. When you allow a talented team to come in and create something new the results are usually going to be incredible.

This is what I want to see out of Nintendo. I want to see the world class teams at EAD come up with something original yet in the spirit of games they've created previously. Zelda is a great series, but what about a new action adventure series from that group? It wouldn't have to play like Zelda, of course, but could be something of that magnitude and type. What about a new platformer with a unique mechanic, aesthetic, and level design from the Mario Galaxy team? I know these franchises are basically a license to print money, but it's disappointing seeing the exact same lineup of games once again on another platform. All the regulars are here. Why not allow at least one of those teams to create something original with the potential to become huge? They struck gold with the Wii* series of titles (Sports, Play, etc), but those really don't appeal in the same way that a good Zelda game does (at least to the non-casual crowd).

They definitely need to make a bunch of new IP for WiiU (Basically out of necessity as their previous casual series seem to be declining and because they need to appeal more to the West) so hopefully it happens. Will be a major mistake if they don't.

Cipherr

dark10x said:

Man you just listed a whole lot of console games, but seemed to be talking about the handheld market. Theres an Uncharted handheld game, but I dont have a clue where you were going with the rest of those. And I dont think many/any of those are first party either.

AzureJericho said:
Damn, now I want to see this shit happen. :lol

Then again, watch Nintendo put content up and no one cares because "eh, it's no big deal." Sometimes, I think the hype and pressure people place on Nintendo to "adapt" to making iOS games is just a matter of "they have to because it's the in thing".

Edit: Guy above me gets it though.

Another part of it is that not all of these people are as dense as they act. They know that mobile gaming isnt as all encompassing, nor as much of a gold mine as they play it up to be. But they seem to desperately crave that it eventually makes it to that point. Nintendo existing on mobile phone markets would bring a LOT of legitimacy to it, whether folks want to admit it or not. Mobile phone gaming is still seen as rinky dink free or 1 dollar shallow experiences for the most part.

The full fledged experience is not something most people go to the app store looking for. And thus far the mobile market hasnt shown that it can successfully house a full gaming experience like those found in games worth the $40 we pay for them. The mobile market still needs to prove it can sustain more than $1 to $5 games on average. It needs to show it can be a viable place for a game thats actually worth $40. Until then it cannot claim to be a viable replacement.

mAcOdIn

Avatar like graphics? Lol, you know how long they'd take to make a game? The Wii-U's generation will probably be over by the time they're finished.

Plus, Nintendo can not just cancel the Wii-U at this point nor can it just ditch the 3DS, it made these decisions it has to ride them out, they can't just kill a console after a year like some want with the 3DS and expect consumers to not remember, nor does the 3DS even need killing.

HW wise all Nintendo ever needed to be competitive with the core was decent enough hardware that it wasn't a joke compared to the other two and a workable on-line solution. So long as Nintendo can at least manage that they will be fine, of course they won't beat investor expectations though but that's a given.

Xater

antonz said:
All you have to do is follow the investor Q&As to know how terrible most of the stockholders are. They don't give a shit about Nintendo or gaming. I mean the last one had a guy basically saying Mario games need to be on every platform under the sun.

Well what would be so wrong about that? Everyone could play the games and it would make a shit ton of money.

Eteric Rice

I wonder if now would be a good time to invest in Nintendo and maybe Capcom.

Obviously investors don't know what the fuck is going on, but as someone who plays games, it might be easier to predict what will and won't effect the market.

Guardian Bob said:
I think Nintendo would make better games if they were 3rd party, but I guess that's just me.

I thought the same thing about Sega. Have you seen their iOS offerings lately? By the logic of many in this thread Sega's iOS games should be amazing and selling like hotcakes. Last I checked they have been porting their classics as well. And even developing specifically for iOS. But the production values of Sega's ports -or- their specific ios offerings isn't that good because they know there isn't much of a market on iOS for anything other than 99cent potatochip games. Sure, iOS gets the occasional port of Final Fantasy for 16 bucks but in general you bring brand name to iOS and you get this:

3.jpg

For five bucks and people wonder why it has horried visuals, poor controls, stripped down content, no multiplayer and no sustainable replay value. 99cents is great for Angry Birds but to expect fully featured games for 99cents is unrealistic.

It was my biggest problem when I gamed exclusively on my iPhone for 3 years. Chinatown Wars gets released and what do most do from the comments sections of the reviews? Complain about the ten dollar price tag. iPhone games are devalued as soon as they launch. Not to mention the holdouts that will "wait for a holiday sale". Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't shock me why Nintendo isn't jumping the bandwagon to go iOS. They're not a 2 person dev house where iOS is their only realistic option to success.

AzaK

confused said:
You really think investors look at that shit and think : Hmm, Nintendo seems to know what they're doing, let's give them money.

Fuck no, they're thinking : What the fuck. This 3DS has been a disaster. Nintendo is out of touch with their market. Let's see if I can spend my money elsewhere.

Yup. The 3DS has been a complete fuckup so far and I guess certain investors will just pull out and cut their losses if they don't see a brighter future.

The Frankenstick basically has convinced me to hold off on the 3DS.

StevieP

Banned
dark10x said:

Sony and Microsoft wish they had franchises as popular and enduring as the ones you lament Nintendo for producing. Microsoft, in fact, has attempted to "buy" that magic in multiple examples in the past.

It also helps that *generally* mainline franchise entries are years apart and introduce as many new ideas as they retain from their past entries, if not completely upending the tea table on said franchises from time to time. EAD has also produced a whole lot of new franchises in the past decade, one of which has become the highest selling game in history.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Mammoth Jones said:
It's about charging 40 dollars for every and all games on the system. It's about their almost non existent and overpriced digital distribution platform. There's NO reason Plants vs Zombies should cost 6 bucks on the 3DS when it's 99c on iOS. None.
Adapt or die. I'm not saying start porting for iOS. Because that's suicide for Nintendo. But they have GOT to embrace the markets they wish to sell their games in. They need to have top tier 40 dollar Mario games. But they ALSO need to create an "app store ecosystem" that supports smaller, independent developers to quickly and cheaply port their iOS offerings to a NINTENDO system for maximize exposure. Just like iOS started and games were on that and slowly we see those same games on Android. What needs to happen now is seeing those games on iOS, Android, *and* the 3DS.

It would be nice to have some idea what's going on with the eShop and DSiWare.

DSiWare has a large number of $2 titles, and given that a new crop of DSiWare appears each week, it is presumably doing decently enough. Nintendo has "cheap handheld game" functionality, but it isn't really being used.

Now, granted, ESRB ratings and requiring you to be an "actual business" is part of that, but I am a bit puzzled by the general lack of DSiWare and 3DS eShop ports. It would seem as though it might make for a semi-profitable port shop business.

Cipherr

Xater said:
Well what would be so wrong about that? Everyone could play the games and it would make a shit ton of money.

Fuck yeah, and also, Apple, they should license out iOS 5. That way all those folks who dont like Apples hardware can buy other phones from other makers, and just buy iOS 5 and load it on those other phones. Apple keeps selling iPhones and makes a shit ton of money selling the OS for other phones also! What would be so wrong about that?

StevieP said:
EAD has also produced a whole lot of new franchises in the past decade, one of which has become the highest selling game in history.

People generally disqualify the new IP's Nintendo makes for one reason or the other. It makes having a conversation on the topic impossible. If you are comparing all new IP's across the PS3 and 360, from both 1st 2nd and third parties on that platform through the lifespan of those consoles to date vs the single Wii console, but you disqualify all third party titles, disqualify any title that didnt get localized to X region, disqualify all tiles in genre X, X and X, and disqualify the rest because they arent gamer games then theres not really a whole lot to talk about.

Oh noes! Nintendo is in the investors' Shark Tank except instead of the cranky dude with the diamond earrings, the old bald guy, regular middle age guy, and the scary looking old chick with the xenomorph teeth, it's Reuters and some greedy Japanese investors who are trying to bluff and scam them!

Investor stupidity and flavor of the week thinking aside, I love my IPhone (heck, I'm posting from it) and certain app games like Tiny Wings and Groove Coaster designed for it are fantastic. But the horrible demo for arcade Pac Man and Hudson's TG-16 app are all I need to know that I never, ever want to try playing Mario or Zelda with virtual controls.

StevieP

Banned
Cipherr said:
Fuck yeah, and also, Apple, they should license out iOS 5. That way all those folks who dont like Apples hardware can buy other phones from other makers, and just buy iOS 5 and load it on those other phones. Apple keeps selling iPhones and makes a shit ton of money selling the OS for other phones also! What would be so wrong about that?

And why can't I run OSX Lion on my Thinkpad? It's got the exact same hardware as the Macbook Pro, but for $1000 less. Why do I have to resort to hacking to do so? C'mon Apple, why would you only port your software to your own hardware?

People generally disqualify the new IP's Nintendo makes for one reason or the other. It makes having a conversation on the topic impossible. If you are comparing all new IP's across the PS3 and 360, from both 1st 2nd and third parties on that platform through the lifespan of those consoles to date vs the single Wii console, but you disqualify all third party titles, disqualify any title that didnt get localized to X region, disqualify all tiles in genre X, X and X, and disqualify the rest because they arent gamer games then theres not really a whole lot to talk about.

money-graphics-2006_965498a.jpg

Xater said:
If people are buying Mario/Pokemon on another platform then they aren't buying those games on a 3DS/a Nintendo platform. People then see no need to buy a Nintendo platform because the software is available elsewhere. If people arent buying a Nintendo platform, then Nintendo makes no money off hardware sales. If people arent buying a Nintendo platform, then third parties definitely will not make games for said platform, and Nintendo makes no licensing fees from those games.

Because of the race-to-the-bottom pricing structure on platforms like iOS, Nintendo couldn't charge a whole lot for their games (certainly not the $30-40 their games can, and should, get). Do you think that potential sales of a $.99-$4.99 Mario game on iOS will be more than what Nintendo would make if that game was $40 on 3DS, bolstering hardware sales, and third party confidence to put their games on the 3DS (increasing licensing revenue for Nintendo)? Something tells me that, no, it would not result in more money.

To the people complaining about the prices on the eShop: have you guys seen the prices on PSN and/or LIVE?

Also, the prices are set by the makers, not by nintendo.

bon

Nintendo is already dead. The iPhone has been out for years and it killed the DS long ago. The DSi and DSi XL blew up in Nintendo's face. Nobody bought them! And how much did this year's new Pokemon sell? 11 million copies? That's pathetic. Angry Birds sold way more! The writing is on the wall. Nobody wants handheld games with substance anymore, they want cheap distractions. There's no room for both. Sorry, but 99 cent apps where you watch birds bump into stuff are the future of video games.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:

I personally don't give two shits about the 3ds anymore (sold mine for games I'm interested in this year), but I completely understand why the software is what it is at this stage in the game. The platform is on thin ice and towing that line between utter failure and smashing success. You guys really think coking up with new experimental, unproven shit is a GOOD idea at this point? Priority one at the moment, is to build a meaningful userbase and rack up on sales. The safest way to do that is by bombarding the hell out of the market without the staple million selling franchise titles.

Get this stuff out now, out early, and if the platform is doing well, you can start to release more risky stuff. Better its done now to save the platform so many people waste..er..spent their money on, so it can ensure there's a big enough userbase for the new games to have a chance at succeeding.

Now if in two years, they are still playing it mostly safe, condemn them all you like. Hopefully third parties will have provided the new software everyone is clamoring for. If not, sell the thing and be weary if their next platform. IF there is one.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Wii volume drying up, a new handheld that will never perform like previous handhelds thanks in part to much greater competition---and also in part to Nintendo forgetting what made their handhelds successful in the first place--and the WiiU announcement generating next to no hype whatsoever, of course the stock is going to go down.

Revenues shrinking, margins shrinking, there is no upside.

Dave Long

Banned
bon said:
Nintendo is already dead. The iPhone has been out for years and it killed the DS long ago. The DSi and DSi XL blew up in Nintendo's face. Nobody bought them! And how much did this year's new Pokemon sell? 11 million copies? That's pathetic. Angry Birds sold way more! The writing is on the wall. Nobody wants handheld games with substance anymore, they want cheap distractions. There's no room for both. Sorry, but 99 cent apps where you watch birds bump into stuff are the future of video games.
Insert "You Are Already Dead" image here.

Aeonin

dark10x said:

I didn't read the rest (yet) but I wanted to say DEAR GOD YES, a million times yes. I can only take the same crap for so long.

If they came out with a system that was enough of a paradigm (hate that word) shift, with all actually NEW games (new concepts, new systems, new standards) then I'd buy it.

StevieP

Banned
Aeonin said:
I didn't read the rest (yet) but I wanted to say DEAR GOD YES, a million times yes. I can only take the same crap for so long.

If they came out with a system that was enough of a paradigm (hate that word) shift, with all actually NEW games (new concepts, new systems, new standards) then I'd buy it.

I'm glad Sony gets this. Nintendo and their damn sequels.

Dave Long

Banned
Aeonin said:

You mean like Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit?

antonz

Woo-Fu said:
Wii volume drying up, a new handheld that will never perform like previous handhelds thanks in part to much greater competition---and also in part to Nintendo forgetting what made their handhelds successful in the first place--and the WiiU announcement generating next to no hype whatsoever, of course the stock is going to go down.

Revenues shrinking, margins shrinking, there is no upside.
The Wiis decline is so greatly overstated. Its still selling well for what is considered a normal console generation. Last Quarter Nintendo sent out as many Wiis as Sony and Microsoft sent out there consoles basically.

The lack of a consistent flow of software does indeed suck but the console has plenty of life and back catalogue for the people who are buying it today or tommorrow.

As for the 3DS I wouldnt evcen begin to guess where it is going to end up. Its selling better than the DS did in its initial period and much like the DS has a very popular predecessor on the market that is still pulling sales away.

I doubt anyone would be dooming and glooming if NOA had moved 400,000 3DS last month instead of having to split the pie with the DSi/XL

Agent Unknown said:
Oh noes! Nintendo is in the investors' Shark Tank except instead of the cranky dude with the diamond earrings, the old bald guy, regular middle age guy, and the scary looking old chick with the xenomorph teeth, it's Reuters and some greedy Japanese investors who are trying to bluff and scam them!

Investor stupidity and flavor of the week thinking aside, I love my IPhone (heck, I'm posting from it) and certain app games like Tiny Wings and Groove Coaster designed for it are fantastic. But the horrible demo for arcade Pac Man and Hudson's TG-16 app are all I need to know that I never, ever want to try playing Mario or Zelda with virtual controls.

Every time I see Avatar all I hear is "Duh-duh-duh Dig Champs" in my head.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man you just listed a whole lot of console games, but seemed to be talking about the handheld market. Theres an Uncharted handheld game, but I dont have a clue where you were going with the rest of those. And I dont think many/any of those are first party either.
True, but I suppose I got off track and was thinking of Nintendo as a whole rather than Nintendo on 3DS. The same statement can be applied to their consoles.

Also, about half of those games I listed are first party titles (or, in the case of something like Gears or Mass Effect 1, published by a first party).

StevieP said:
Sony and Microsoft wish they had franchises as popular and enduring as the ones you lament Nintendo for producing. Microsoft, in fact, has attempted to "buy" that magic in multiple examples in the past.

It also helps that *generally* mainline franchise entries are years apart and introduce as many new ideas as they retain from their past entries, if not completely upending the tea table on said franchises from time to time. EAD has also produced a whole lot of new franchises in the past decade, one of which has become the highest selling game in history.
I don't lament Nintendo for producing those games, though. They should continue to deliver more games in those beloved series. I would like to see something else in addition to those games, however. That's my point.

DavidDayton said:
It would be nice to have some idea what's going on with the eShop and DSiWare.

DSiWare has a large number of $2 titles, and given that a new crop of DSiWare appears each week, it is presumably doing decently enough. Nintendo has "cheap handheld game" functionality, but it isn't really being used.

Now, granted, ESRB ratings and requiring you to be an "actual business" is part of that, but I am a bit puzzled by the general lack of DSiWare and 3DS eShop ports. It would seem as though it might make for a semi-profitable port shop business.

All I know is Planets vs Zombies sells on iOS for 99c-$2.99 and for $6.99 on eshop. I'm not saying they're doing "bad" but they could be doing MUCH better. For one thing games shouldn't be buried in the eshop. If the user has an active wifi connection they should be seeing new deals, new releases and new sales right there on their main page when they log in.

idwl said:
Shouldn't that be $40 for mario kart ds? Plus its priced higher everywhere out of the U.S. about 50USD in uk. I wouldn't be surprised if MKDS alone generated at least $800 million in revenue. NSMB DS should be even more

I'm purposely being very generous to the iOS App store here. I'm fully aware that I am low balling MKDS and being (extremely) generous to the iOS App store here.

The fact that one game can actually compare to the entirety of the iOS App store revenue in the first place is telling enough in of itself though.

antonz

Nuclear Muffin said:
I'm purposely being very generous to the iOS App store here. I'm fully aware that I am low balling MKDS and being (extremely) generous to the iOS App store here.

The fact that one game can actually compare to the entirety of the iOS App store revenue in the first place is telling enough in of itself though.
That is really the thing overlooked I think by alot of people. Titles like Mario kart DS have generated almost a billion dollars in revenue alone. Mario kart Wii has generated 1.25 billion dollars in revenue.

They see oh this game was downloaded 100 million times and dont even consider cost paid for it or how many were free etc

wsippel said:
Is this thread still going? Why aren't Reuters and Gamasutra banned yet:

j65zkg.png

Reminder: Conference began 12:00.

Do you have any idea how ludicrous that is? Do you?

He wants Reuters banned...Gamasutra...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
wsippel said:
Is this thread still going? Why aren't Reuters and Gamasutra banned yet:

Reminder: Conference began 12:00.

Gamasutra? You've got to be kidding me. One of the very few good gaming news sites. The Reuters article added its own shit, but why the heck would you want to ban the whole of Reuters based on that article alone?

Top Bottom