• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of WTF Did they do to the character design??

A whole lot of nitpicking and nostalgia goggles ITT so far.
Whats wrong with new Laura and Chris Redfield?
Here, I got one:
cole_face.jpg

Why the developers went with this bland looking motherfucker instead of this guy who actually has some personality in his design.
3872.610.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
You guys, these are the worst Sonic series designs:

What is this.

I actually sort of liked Robotnik's weird redesign, bottle caps and all. Modern Sonic is the one I don't like, though.

Here, I got one:
http://www.gogaminggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/cole_face.jpg[img]
Why the developers went with this bland looking motherfucker instead of this guy who actually has some personality in his design.
[img]http://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-ImageFileViewer/CommunityServer-Blogs-Components-WeblogFiles-00-00-00-84-17/3872.610.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Because the second one looks like a boyband member and why the fuck would you want to play as a Backstreet Boys reject in inFamous 2? Terrible redesign, glad they ditched it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually sort of liked Robotnik's weird redesign, bottle caps and all. Modern Sonic is the one I don't like, though.
The only thing I don't like about Modern Sonic in general is that dumb smirk Sega adds to him for no apparent reason. Like in that Sonic 4 logo.

In my eyes, the rest of the design is fine and seems somewhat conducive to his newer moveset, I guess. You know I'm cool with people who don't care for the design, though.

Here, I got one:
cole_face.jpg

3872.610.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

They wanted the character to be as unlikable as possible? I still don't get how you can spend so much time and money on a game but make such a profoundly bad lead character.

ScOULaris

From this:

1680017-mk2_reptile_super.png

To this:

Mkdach22x28x02x03.jpg

What the hell? They've tried to correct their mistake, but he's never returned to his MK2/UMK3 glory.

ლ( ಥ╭╮ಥ ლ )

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
No way, Eggman 2006 was an abomination through and through.

It's one thing to be unique, it's another to be good.

It's not a great redesign, but besides those bottle caps, I never really got what was supposed to be so offensive about it. Except for the fact that it appears in a bad, broken game.

jgmo870

Banned
Even though there is barely any consistency in the FE universe, I find these new character designs to be a huuuuuge step down from previous ones.

Going from this

Fire_Emblem_Background_by_BritTheMighty.jpg

to this

fire-emblem-3ds-screenshot-and-artwork-646x325.jpg

really gets to me.

kunonabi

Chris's RE5 makeover was the best thing that ever happened to him/the RE series in general.

I've always liked Chris, but let's face it, his pre-RE5 design was about as exciting as dry toast. Now he's a bodybuilding, boulder punching slice o' beefcake.

Best upgrade ever.

Jill on the other hand, now that's a travesty!

to be fair RE5 Chris seems to be a more natural extension of RE1 Chris. Just buffer and capable of typing. I'll take a lovable lunk head over the doubtful leader they made him into in the REmake any day.

Capcom did fine with Jill until RE5. I liked RE3 Jill's personality and voice quite a bit. She has been crap from RE5 on though.

pandemonium-4dc2a1351445b1304600885.jpg

becomes

Pandemonium2USLUS-00578-front.jpg

I loved the first one but I refused to play the sequel.

tigerin

Here, I got one:
cole_face.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-ImageFileViewer/CommunityServer-Blogs-Components-WeblogFiles-00-00-00-84-17/3872.610.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

there's another design of cole that i remember on the front cover of gameinformer.

Qwomo

Cole from Infamous is a pretty good one. The proposed redesign was really good, but man the gaming community is really stupidly awful with their outrage sometimes. Still can't believe Sucker Punch caved and kept Cole as generic and unlikeable as possible, they should've stuck to their chops.

jett

D-Member
And my last contribution:

gordon.jpg

Gordon from Arkham Asylum. Did you really need to inject him with roids up the wazoo as well, Rocksteady?

Spookie

Max is looking ok now you see the progression and this is coming from someone who was throwing a shit fit at that initial poster. Nothing wrong with the new Lara either but Dante?

dontcare037r68.gif

The really weird thing about this one to me is that they did BC: Rearmed to tie into the new game but rather than keeping the direction they were going for with BC09 in mind they just totally ramped up the 80s silliness.

It's like they wanted to give people tonal whiplash.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Cole from Infamous is a pretty good one. The proposed redesign was really good, but man the gaming community is really stupidly awful with their outrage sometimes. Still can't believe Sucker Punch caved and kept Cole as generic and unlikeable as possible, they should've stuck to their chops.

Eh, I actually like it so it feels consistent. The "new Cole" doesn't look like the first Cole at all so I am glad with the final product.

As for his characterization, though, I have no comment :p

jay

Lara's new body design is better but I'm not sure about the bleeding and covered in dirt stuff. Looks like she came off the cover of I Spit on Your Grave.

The Unreal tournament characters started doing bullshark testosterone in 2003
Chris Redfield from resident evil also apparently got hold of some from Epics stash
Sonic went from a weird mute hedgehog to some kind of terrible 80s "cool" stereotype

Lara Croft somehow stayed mostly consistent until the new reboot where she looks kind of like Justin Beiber
New_Lara_Croft.jpg

That's a hotter Hillary Swank. And I'm of the opinion she's already good looking.

I like AC Cloud. Theres nothing wrong with his design. Its his characterization in the movie that sucks.
As a matter of fact if they gave cloud his original uniform in such ultra detail it would have looked so fucking stupid.

Qwomo

Lara's new body design is better but I'm not sure about the bleeding and covered in dirt stuff. Looks like she came off the cover of I Spit on Your Grave.
Are you one of the creeps who downloads those CLEAN PRETTY WHITE LADIES mods for Skyrim?

LuchaShaq

Banned

Honestly the original design was also one of the worst in any popular franchise, problem is this is basically just as awful +- 10%

Only redesign that ever bothered me was AC-R.

Just confusing since it's not a reboot and they all look completely different. If they had released a trailer just showing the faces I wouldn't have been able to guess what game it was for....also would be weirdest trailer ever.

Requeim

Classic Dante looks like the most forgettable character ever conceived. At least the new Dante has some character -- even if that character is a bit douchey.

Has to be a troll post. This line of thinking can only be due to him having been around for 11 years at this point. Calling him forgettable, especially when comparing him to NuDante, is just madness.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And my last contribution:

Gordon from Arkham Asylum. Did you really need to inject him with roids up the wazoo as well, Rocksteady?

I think that's more to do with the engine than artstyle... is it possible to have a different design despite using Unreal?

Top Bottom