• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

When's the next commentary track, I swear sometimes I feel like these guys just sit around making stupid video content without regard for audio-only lovers

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There's a lot of wrong information in their Re:view of Blade Runner. Harrison Ford also didn't purposefully tank the narration.

Harrison hated thoroughly the whole idea of the narration. When they did it over a third time, he was really pissed and thought it was just getting worst. A quote from Katy Haber who was there for Ford’s third recodring:

“By now I think he was sick of the whole movie anyway, didn’t like what Kibbee had come up with, so he purposely, I think, recited the narration badly. I think he was hoping they wouldn’t use it.”

Considering that comes from her, it’s pretty likely.

There’s a whole chapter on the narration in Future Noir that clears up everything about it, including how it was always expected to have a narration and Scott wanted it too, it just got rewritten badly.

jett

D-Member
Harrison hated thoroughly the whole idea of the narration. When they did it over a third time, he was really pissed and thought it was just getting worst. A quote from Katy Haber who was there for Ford's third recodring:

”By now I think he was sick of the whole movie anyway, didn't like what Kibbee had come up with, so he purposely, I think, recited the narration badly. I think he was hoping they wouldn't use it."

Considering that comes from her, it's pretty likely.

There's a whole chapter on the narration in Future Noir that clears up everything about it, including how it was always expected to have a narration and Scott wanted it too, it just got rewritten badly.

I think Ford himself had said he didn't narrate like shit on purpose, I read that somewhere sometime.

Some time ago I took a look at the shooting script (by Fancher and Peoples) and was surprised to find narration in there. It's completely different from the movie, since in the end those bits were added by somebody else.

Hjod

Banned
So that Justice League trailer looks pretty terrible, huh?

Haha, yes. And I was entertained by BvS, and even I thought the trailer made JL look like garbage, hot garbage.

cant wait for the new nerd crew.

Yes please! I love how the story speculation has begun again in the trailer thread haha.

tumblr_omugbiiHtW1tsie6fo4_540.gif

Rockk

I hope the Nerd Crew episode happens but I also hope Rich and Mike do a predictions video. There Force Awakens predictions were spot on and their Han Solo Solo predictions were funny.

Or just read more Wookiepedia articles.

Rydeen

I think Ford himself had said he didn't narrate like shit on purpose, I read that somewhere sometime.

Some time ago I took a look at the shooting script (by Fancher and Peoples) and was surprised to find narration in there. It's completely different from the movie, since in the end those bits were added by somebody else.

Some of the original narration before Ridley Scott and Michael Deeley were fired and the studio re-wrote the narration can be heard on the Blade Runner five disc set on the alternate and deleted scenes section. It's nearly as long as the final movie, and the narration is much better, Ford is clearly more into it, and it's more of an internal monologue Deckard is having and less expository for the audience.

Even Deckard's original narration during the "tears in rain" scene is rather touching and elegant compared to the "I DON'T KNOW WHY HE SAVED MY LIFE..." from the theatrical cut.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

The narration was there from the start yeah, it was always planned to be there because they wanted that Humphrey Bogart detective noir flick feel. Scott wanted it too, no one was opposing the idea. Eventually they decided to hold on it, because the script kept changing, and they knew the movie was going through various edits so there was no point trying to keep up, they'd do it after. They really wanted a narration that added to the movie, not one that described what the movie was already showing, so they wanted to wait after it was essentially done, a sort of polish that would add emotion, not clarify the plot or say what we saw. But then the studio got all the narration rewritten by Roland Kibbee, who was a TV writer connected to some higher up who tasked him with it, because the executives panicked from previews where a few people said they didn't understand anything.

When Hampton and Peoples watched the final edit with the finished narration, both were sitting next to each other and didn't say anything about it, thinking both had been tasked to rewrite it and thought they had done what they could under the conditions they were in. It's only a while later that they were talking about the movie to each other and found out neither of them had written those.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
why have they changed the format of pre rec?

I don't listen to the streams anymore so I may be wrong. This last game might have been more important to show continuous video of the instead of them talking on the couch so they changed the style of the video to compensate.

Production-wise, It still sounds like they were in the same room talking since the quality of the mics didn't sound like they were over skype. So maybe they did it how they usually did and then cut up all of the audio.

Or maybe they just had some sort of terrible technical issue they couldn't use the video anymore and this is how they fixed it instead?

kevin1025

Banned
Oh my god, I remember seeing Little Bigfoot when I was a kid! It was during that glorious time of movie rentals and going with cool box art over anything else.

what's weird is that I have this nagging feeling that I've seen that movie, but don't remember ever watching it. It's easy to blame cable-tv for that one though. Probably saw it for five minutes while zapping or something.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Turbulence 3 was on repeat on cable channels back in high school

Must have been cheap as fuck to license

Mama big foot falling was hilarious

Top Bottom