• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Thread of Growing Epic Beards

Status
Not open for further replies.
squidhands said:
Don't do it. At random times I would get a hair stuck in the top of a soda can as I was drinking it and get yanked out as I pulled it away. Hurt like fuck all.

THIS. It's the worst thing in the world to get a mustache hair caught in a can tab and have it ripped out when you take the can away from your face. The only solution I've found is to stop drinking soda and/or canned beer or to rip the tabs off as soon as I open the can.

I'm having serious issues eating and drinking with my mustache. It's so thick and long that it folds over my lip making anything I eat come in contact with it. I don't want to trim it because it's almost to the point where I can use my thumb and forefinger to push it up and out away from my mouth, but at the same time it's super obnoxious. It's the ultimate flavor savor in a totally bad kind of way.

Sanjuro

Alright instead of posting new thread figure I would ask in here. In the last year I have have a strange facial rash that mainly appears in two spots. Nothing sickly looking, just bright redness and then some dry skin (usually after applying a lotion or something).

Here is the catch though...

If I continue to shave; clean face it then goes away.
If I keep the beard in those same two spots it begins to flake/notice redness through the beard.

Anyone else with anything similar? I'm 25 now and have had beards since I was 16 and never had had this before.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Alright instead of posting new thread figure I would ask in here. In the last year I have have a strange facial rash that mainly appears in two spots. Nothing sickly looking, just bright redness and then some dry skin (usually after applying a lotion or something).

Here is the catch though...

If I continue to shave; clean face it then goes away.
If I keep the beard in those same two spots it begins to flake/notice redness through the beard.

Anyone else with anything similar? I'm 25 now and have had beards since I was 16 and never had had this before.

Do you shampoo or soap it when you shower? I used to get flakiness and a little bit of tenderness until I found the right soap. I've tried dozens of different soaps but the only one that works for me consistently is some sort of herbal honey and sandalwood soap that I get at the local grocery store.

Commodore_Perry said:
Can I still participate in Beardtober and No Shave November if I started 5 months early?

2hq8ghu.jpg

I've been able to grow since I was in the 8th grade. I think I'm going to go as Grizzly Adams for Halloween - all I need to do is put some flour in my beard to lighten it up and then put on a coonskin cap to hide the fact that I don't have the long wavy hair that he had.

Nice! Reminds me of...

familyguypetersswallows121753958.jpg

Ionas

BlueTsunami said:
How long did it take to grow the soul patch area? I would so rock that look, fucking nice.
It's tough to say, since that look came from a beard that had been growing and trimmed for quite a while. It's definitely a bit of an investment, though--my facial hair's pretty slow growing.

Wii said:
Yeah, Hitler moustache in the shower :p
This guy knows what I'm talking about!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
red shoe paul said:
Excellent. Does shaving the neck beard count? Or is that in violation?

You can shave neckbeard... I usually give it a week or so and then create the neckline. If you do it right you shouldn't have to mess with it again for a while. I don't actually know what a "fade" is... but I think that's what I'm doing when I use the trimmer. I use a few different lengths trying to make the line seem natural... real close on the neck and gradually longer into the beard. Then it stays looking pretty good for at least another week or two, even when it starts to grow back in.

I've always been curious to let the beard grow out, but once I get to the 1.5-2 week mark, I decide it looks like shit and just give up there.

ShadyMilkman said:
I've always been curious to let the beard grow out, but once I get to the 1.5-2 week mark, I decide it looks like shit and just give up there.

I think there's this special mark, you have to overcome. I mean this mark where everything is scratchy and looks like shit. I myself never could make it. :(

Polari

Ducky_McGee said:
The Thread of Guys I would Never Even Consider Dating

My kind of woman (man?)

Grizzly Adams wins. You don't grow a beard, you earn it. This man has clearly earned it.

Zeppu

I have a 3 week beard which I'm about to shave soon, give me some awesome pattern to shave it to before and I'll take pics.

I did the douche beard last time:
2zf3laf.jpg

[disclaimer]This was on for like half an hour and I didn't go outside with it[/disclaimer]

elohel

I started mine at the beginning of the semester longest I've ever gone without shavin I'm
purrty proud but I swear my quarter Japanese is holding it back I'm
missin some unity here

Maybe I'll get hair transplants

desertmunky

Neo Member
Commodore_Perry said:
Can I still participate in Beardtober and No Shave November if I started 5 months early?

2hq8ghu.jpg

I've been able to grow since I was in the 8th grade. I think I'm going to go as Grizzly Adams for Halloween - all I need to do is put some flour in my beard to lighten it up and then put on a coonskin cap to hide the fact that I don't have the long wavy hair that he had.

I stand in AWE.

SUPREME1

Banned
desertmunky said:
I got busy and forgot to put up my soup catcher. So here it is.
2updzec.jpg

Great looking kids.

You don't look like you'd post on GAF. You look like you transport meth across state lines.

:lol

desertmunky

Neo Member
ImperialConquest said:
Great looking kids.

You don't look like you'd post on GAF. You look like you transport meth across state lines.

:lol
LMAO yeah I get that alot. I work avionics so Im a geek at heart. And thank you, I love my little monsters

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sheppard said:
Someone asked if you shave the neckbeard. You ALWAYS shave the neckbeard.

Seriously? I never shave my neck separately to my face..

Have I been doing it wrong all this time? :lol

NimbusD

Label said:
Seriously? I never shave my neck separately to my face..

Have I been doing it wrong all this time? :lol

It depend on how the neckbeard grows and how your face is.

For me I always shave it after it gets more than fuzz. It goes down almost to connect to my chest hair. That and I have a pretty solid jaw line that just dissapears if I let the neckbeard grow which I'm not a fan of.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I gave up my battle yesterday. Woe is me. I bow to you manly GAFers with the ability to grow manly beards.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I realize that I've been trimming my beard from below up too high (fear of the neck beard) but my beard doesn't go down my neck as much.

koam

Commodore_Perry said:

2hq8ghu.jpg

Dude you were an awesome bassist in nirvana

ElectricBlue187 said:
I bet you make your boyfriend get a chest wax. How old are you?

I'm 18 and I don't.

I wouldn't MAKE him shave anything. Certain things I appreciate.

Some of you are quite attractive. It's too bad about the beards. :(

elseanio

my facial hair is very patchy. I've tried before to last it out, but it looks so bad before it would start to look good.

Commodore_Perry said:

2hq8ghu.jpg

jason bateman? Is that you?

vulva

Ducky_McGee said:
I'm 18 and I don't.

I wouldn't MAKE him shave anything. Certain things I appreciate.

Some of you are quite attractive. It's too bad about the beards. :(
I'm still gonna take that as a compliment

Belfast

Before (this is actually an old picture, though it's the only one I have uploaded of me being clean-shaven, also accounts for the long hair in the next two, which I've been growing out for at least six months now):

image200902280004.jpg

2 Weeks after starting growth at the beginning of October:

1013090053-1.jpg

Final Beard (completely untouched by razors for a little over two months):

1203090801.jpg

Now, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it. If I keep it, of course I'll have to actually get rid of the neck-beard and trim it up so it looks nice. Not sure yet.

Maybe Starburns?

original.png

68960651770892700453.jpg

Had to shave mine for work, so right now I am keeping it trim and trying to connect my mustache to my beard, later I may grow a huge Grizzly Adam's beard.

I'm jealous looking at some of these other beards. :p
Epicness.

Damn I should have snapped a pic of mine in Feb. I just let it grow hadn't even touched it up.:lol

I was looking like a crazy biker. Not as full as yours Commodore, but bushy enough to get odd stares. I trimmed it up late Feb, and have since shaved it down to a goatee.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Last friday was the first time in life I shaved after 25 years of not even trimming. I feel way less epic now :( : But people tell me I look now way younger.

What kind of a freedom hating country do we live in that beards of all things are prohibited in the workplace? Hate crime I say, hate crime!

Odious Tea said:
What kind of a freedom hating country do we live in that beards of all things are prohibited in the workplace? Hate crime I say, hate crime!
They fear what they don't understand. The Epicness of my beard filled them with unknown feelings, so I was told to shave.

Fools.

Ecrofirt

ChubbyHuggs said:
68960651770892700453.jpg

Had to shave mine for work, so right now I am keeping it trim and trying to connect my mustache to my beard, later I may grow a huge Grizzly Adam's beard.

I'm jealous looking at some of these other beards. :p
Epicness.
Funny, you look like a kid I've had math courses with in College.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom