• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Season One |OT| A show about a hit musical on a network with no hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
First half was dreadful. The scene where Frank is playing Wii Rock Band whist singing to Julia, and anything to do with their stupid fucking son Leo was just...bad. Terrible shit.

Second half was better. The fight between Tom and Derek was pretty decent (it at least clarifies some aspects of their history), and I like the developments regarding the play. I feel so bad for Ivy Lynn. She really deserves the role and I'm not sure if Uma Thurman is really the best choice for her replacement. She's a star, but can she do Marilyn?

Meryl Streep's daughter looks just like her mom. Too bad she didn't inherit any of her acting skillz.

Well I will say Ellis is such a fucking weasel and why are they still pushing that he is straight?

THIS. I just can't believe that he's straight.

red13th

I'm two episodes behind so I can't really read this thread but I wanted to say that bartender guy who showed up at the end of episode 6 is niiice.

Delio

Interesting how Ellis was willing to get nailed to get up in the world. He is such a waste. I actually liked the girls getting along for once...even if the song was terrible.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I actually liked this episode. Weeeiirrd. I like how Julia's affair blew up in her face, I like that it seemed like Michael's final episode, I liked Karen+Ivy (even the song, lol). Of course Julia's son is still the worst fucking actor on the show, and Ellis...I knew he wasn't straight. Psh.

Delio

I actually liked this episode. Weeeiirrd. I like how Julia's affair blew up in her face, I like that it seemed like Michael's final episode, I liked Karen+Ivy (even the song, lol). Of course Julia's son is still the worst fucking actor on the show, and Ellis...I knew he wasn't straight. Psh.

I think everyone knew Ellis was not straight. What happens with his girlfriend though!

Pretty good episode. I'm glad Tom isn't ditching John due to political affiliation, but it seems like a pretty lame plot device to try to push him toward Sam. (Who likes sports! So many sports!)

I'm also glad that they are actually dealing with the fallout of Julia cheating. I'm hoping that the result is that both the husband and son leave and never return, along with Michael. I like Julia, but I hate her choices and the people in her life. It drags down the show.

I hope Eileen is getting to see that Ellis is a worthless profiteer. She needs to crush him.

Ivy is still completely awful and childish. People on the show (including herself) keep saying she's an adult, but I'm not seeing any adult behavior from her.

Really liked this ep. They did some very nice things here.

1. The Julia/Michael thing didn't just get swept under the rug. Nice job by Frank going through the pain and the anger of this betrayal, confronting Michael, etc. I hated that they went this route with Julia's character, but now that they set it up, I hope she can pour all this emotion into her work.

2. Ellis thinks he's all that and a bag of chips, and then Eileen puts him in his place. Before, it was like Julia was the only one who didn't like the little weasel and he was going behind everyone's back and crawling under his rock. But now, Eileen KNOWS he's a little weasel and will use him to do weasel things. There's something about him being called out on it that makes him more acceptable.

3. Eileen proving that she can be a little conniving at this whole producer thing we well, but she does it with class (vs. Ellis).

4. Karen and Ivy don't need to be best friends, but I was happy to see that they could at least co-exist on the screen together. I liked Ivy saying "this doesn't make us best friends." Perfect.

The only thing I felt was lame was Tom ducking out on his Replublican bf so that he's free to go after the dancer dude.

I still think we could use a little more of Tom and Julia working on "Bombshell." Great title for the musical.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't really have anything to say other than I think the show has improved in the last few episodes.

Oh, and:

Whoo Eileen! You go girl!

I hope John isn't gone for good. :(

The dialogue in this episode was horrendous. So repetitive.

Tom: I've seen that behavior in stroke victims.

Sam: Yeah! Maybe he had a stroke!

---

Karen: Stop yelling at me!

Dev: I'm not yelling!

Karen: You're yelling!

Dev: Maybe I am yelling!

Karen: I get yelled at during work and now I'm being yelled at when I come home!

Dev: Well, I have the right to yell!

Karen: Go yell at someone else Dev!

Delio

I really dont like the Tom/Black guy pairing since it seemed to come just from the whole "omg he is straight acting" thing. But I DID love Tom's number. It was lovely.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Karen: Stop yelling at me!

Dev: I'm not yelling!

Karen: You're yelling!

Dev: Maybe I am yelling!

Karen: I get yelled at during work and now I'm being yelled at when I come home!

Dev: Well, I have the right to yell!

Karen: Go yell at someone else Dev!

That argument was horrible. Yeesh.

Zoe

I'm getting tired of the Dev story line. How are they even still living together at this point.

Delio

I'm getting tired of the Dev story line. How are they even still living together at this point.

Seriously. Who cares he can go off and bang his coworker who will probably drop him just as fast.

Btw I want more drunk frienemies times with Karen and Ivy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I quite liked Uma Thurman's character. You can really tell she's having a lot of fun on the show, and that in turn makes it a lot of fun to watch. Same with Anjelica Huston.

Julia's son has never gotten anything lower than a 'B+'?

Bitch, please.

Seriously. Who cares he can go off and bang his coworker who will probably drop him just as fast.

Btw I want more drunk frienemies times with Karen and Ivy.

Yes.

Yes.

When Rebecca slammed the door in Ellis's face, I laughed so hard I woke up my roommate. XD
I think Uma is doing a good job, and her character is actually alright. (Though next week it looks like things get dicey.)

The guy that plays Dev is really hot, but they are making his character so dull and predictable. I wanna see him stick around, but they need to give his storyline and his relationship with Karen a serious jolt.

Tom and Sam are good as friends, but I don't think they have any romantic chemistry at all.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The guy that plays Dev is really hot, but they are making his character so dull and predictable. I wanna see him stick around, but they need to give his storyline and his relationship with Karen a serious jolt.

He's so gonna dump Karen for the female co worker.

He's so gonna dump Karen for the female co worker.

Eh, I don't think they'll actually go through with it, but I'm sure they'll lean it in that direction for the last three episodes.

They'll rather save it for a cliffhanger at the end of the season, with one person "leaving" the other (in which they'll spend the first couple eps of S2 putting them back together) or they'll have Dev and/or Karen make some big romantic gesture in the finale, and all will be just ducky.

Delio

Eh, I don't think they'll actually go through with it, but I'm sure they'll lean it in that direction for the last three episodes.

They'll rather save it for a cliffhanger at the end of the season, with one person "leaving" the other (in which they'll spend the first couple eps of S2 putting them back together) or they'll have Dev and/or Karen make some big romantic gesture in the finale, and all will be just ducky.

Dev breaks up with Karen and demands the apartment. Karen Is forced to move in with Ivy. DIVA BEST ENEMIES FOREVER Season 2!

Delio

I dunno why I enjoyed that. Probably because the entire cast got In on it.

The son on Smash is so terrible MY GOD.

Delio

What the... Wasn't Uma's last line different (about Karen) in the preview for this ep?

Yup. She said we should get rid of Karen before. Speaking of Karen why Is she so dumb? "Oh look random text from number I dont know = Me not work. BYE BYE"

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Bollywood number was horrible. (and kinda fun. But mostly horrible. I lost it when it showed Ellis for a split second, stealing a piece of fruit or whatever it was.)

Julia's son is soooo fucking terrible, etc. etc. I say that every week, but it's true. And I swear, Tom was getting more worked up over Leo going missing than Julia was.

Yup. She said we should get rid of Karen before. Speaking of Karen why Is she so dumb? "Oh look random text from number I dont know = Me not work. BYE BYE"

Right? It didn't help that the text was from some random ass dancer whom we've never seen before. If Ellis had texted from Tom's phone or something then, yeah, it'd make sense for her to accept it. Sloppy writing is sloppy.

The Bollywood number was so cheesy, but it was actually my favorite part of the episode. It's nice to know this show can still be fun (albeit silly) instead of a never ending barrage of horrible choices and cliches.

I still think the show has potential and it is getting better, but man does it need a shakeup. I can't wait to see what they do next season.

Oh, and the misleading preview from last week was pretty low. C'mon NBC.

Delio

The Bollywood number was horrible. (and kinda fun. But mostly horrible. I lost it when it showed Ellis for a split second, stealing a piece of fruit or whatever it was.)

Julia's son is soooo fucking terrible, etc. etc. I say that every week, but it's true. And I swear, Tom was getting more worked up over Leo going missing than Julia was.

Right? It didn't help that the text was from some random ass dancer whom we've never seen before. If Ellis had texted from Tom's phone or something then, yeah, it'd make sense for her to accept it. Sloppy writing is sloppy.

Yeah see getting the text from Tom would have been fine. He's a close friend to Julia and they already showed that she has his number anyways so it makes sense he would text her. Not random dancer whoever the fuck it is.

Ellis Is such a cheeseball though. Why Is he playing every side wen he gains nothing.

Zoe

That was Uma's assistant.

Bollywood scene was cute and silly and goofy. You can tell they had a lot of fun making it. I can just imagine the actor who plays Dev reading the script and saying "what the fuck?"

Delio

I can't with all the love triangles in this episode. Tom/Sam moment was kinda cute though but lordt Dev was terrible today.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I find it annoying how Dev always goes to visit Karen at work, knowing that she's super busy, and then gets pissed off when...she's...too busy? It's like he doesn't take her work seriously.

I can't with all the love triangles in this episode. Tom/Sam moment was kinda cute though but lordt Dev was terrible today.

You said it. Dev + Ivy, Dev + RJ, Derek + Rebecca, etc. Too many fucking love triangles. And apparently maybe even an
Ellis, Eileen, and Nick
triangle? Kill me now.

Delio

I find it annoying how Dev always goes to visit Karen at work, knowing that she's super busy, and then gets pissed off when...she's...too busy? It's like he doesn't take her work seriously.

You said it. Dev + Ivy, Dev + RJ, Derek + Rebecca, etc. Too many fucking love triangles. And apparently maybe even an
Ellis, Eileen, and Nick
triangle? Kill me now.

I swear if Ellis ruins that I will rage.

Delio

I really liked that combo song of Karen/Ivy there. If only there was not messy Dev hanging over them that little friendly hug would be lovely.

Zoe

Nah, Uma wasn't the problem there. Who wants to see a musical end on a down note like that?

Ellis is a fucking weasel. It's obvious it was him.

Delio

Oh wow Rebecca left omg! *yawn* And it's SO obvious both girls will be playing the part in the end. I hope Ivy tells Karen and presents the ring as proof. THUS STARTS THE BUDDY BUDDY KAREN/IVY APARTMENT LIVING SEASON 2!

Well, at least this episode was better than last week's train wreck.

I'm very glad Julia pushed Michael away, I would of vomited otherwise. He is a straight up, full blown stalker.

Uma leaving was super obvious.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ellis is a fucking weasel. It's obvious it was him.

More like fucked up would be killer. Giving peanuts to someone with a severe peanut allergy could be fatal. It really isn't something to treat lightly. He's a really messed up person, but of course the show will continue on treating him like a precious, mischievious little imp.

Oh wow Rebecca left omg! *yawn* And it's SO obvious both girls will be playing the part in the end. I hope Ivy tells Karen and presents the ring as proof. THUS STARTS THE BUDDY BUDDY KAREN/IVY APARTMENT LIVING SEASON 2!

You think they'll be friends after Karen finds out about Ivy fucking Dev?

I'm very glad Julia pushed Michael away, I would of vomited otherwise. He is a straight up, full blown stalker.

Yeah, if it wasn't already apparent, he's a really unstable person. Wholly unlikable and a total creeper/stalker.

Delio

More like fucked up would be killer. Giving peanuts to someone with a severe peanut allergy could be fatal. It really isn't something to treat lightly. He's a really messed up person, but of course the show will continue on treating him like a precious, mischievious little imp.

You think they'll be friends after Karen finds out about Ivy fucking Dev?

Yeah, if it wasn't already apparent, he's a really unstable person. Wholly unlikable and a total creeper/stalker.

YUP. This is me hoping for Karen to stay true to her happy go lucky self and direct MOST of her anger at Dev. Then down and out Ivy, feeling super regretful, lets her move in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom