• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

kylej

Banned
I think he is referring to the method of distribution. Frankie said they had things in mind for the marketing that are pretty innovative or something along those lines.

A remote controlled warthog and special Forerunner vision goggles to be included in the ultra-limited Prestige edition of Halo 4.

This is one of the reasons I was so excited to snag my PAX tickets yesterday. :D
I hope Duncan felt this excitement from me when he ordered my ticket. Will you bring your self-made candy again? Because this time I want to try.

I think he is referring to the method of distribution. Frankie said they had things in mind for the marketing that are pretty innovative or something along those lines.
damn. I did not understand his post. Maybe he should judge after the game came out...

Homeboyd

A remote controlled warthog and special Forerunner vision goggles to be included in the ultra-limited Prestige edition of Halo 4.
In game!

e758723a841b08cf746ec593182ce62d.jpg

plzplzplzplzplz

monome

That's one of the most idiotic things I've read around here. You really got no surprise from anything we've seen or read?

I don't want to have to backtrack, but hopefully you can find your past posts where you predicted spartan ops, both the BR and DMR, all the AAs, Infinity, and other stuff.

Come on dude.

Not what I meant in the slightest!

I am happy with the direction, and from my previous posts my enthusiasm is palatable.

It's mostly a question of flow and graciousness from 343i.

I was not into FPS before Halo 3, except from some Unreal tournemants and Counter strikes games with friends.
With halo 3 I found the perfect flow for a FPS, I loved the SP, I loved the MP etc...
ODST was the shit and Reach delivered yet left me a bit cold after the short SP and the forgettable maps.

I'm in no way an expert on weapons, map control etc... I play for fun and Halo MP gave me a good time.

Since 343i is in charge the quality of te stories is way up, so I immersed in the lore and I'm now pretty up-to-date, especially browsing regularly the Halo thread.

So when halo 4 was revealed I was :
1/ shocked.
2/ pumped.
3/ eager for more.

Then came HaloFest soon after and I couldn't possibly get a bigger orgasm from the concept trailer that I had.

Then came the drought.

the reassuring figure of Frankie popping here regularly kept my spirits high.
And I clearly remember a post of his on how they would try a different angle on their communication in anticipation of halo 4 release.

And here I am, late April, with some very interesting infos, yet it's all bits and pieces, and magazine scans, audio podcasts and some quick vidocs.
It's all great.
Yet it's extremly controlled.

When it comes down to why I feel bored, seing those dudes I don't know playing Halo 4 in a hotel just makes me remeber this all thing is a business.

I support devs, I pay games, I pay DLCs and I even pay for toys/books/whatever.

i've shelved hundreds of euros in halo stuff, for my greatest, and not in the slightest guilty, pleasure and I have no shame in looking forward to be entertainened.

Which I'm not by the campaign. So far it's a simple info dropout. Nothing special.
And I want to believe Halo 4 is something special, not a newish FPS, not a cashflow or a system seller.

So, nothing to do with the quality of infos, descriptions etc...it's mostly that it's not boner inducing.

Probably stupid to want to be won over, when Halo 4 on day 0 is a given, yet it is how I feel.

Comes october, I will have a book, a big marketing campaign, juicy teases etc...and that looks like overload compared to where I stand now, especially considering on how many stuff I'll be playing when the campaign will be in full swing.

Short recap : I want halo entertainement, now. not just when it's time for me to shell out some cash.

TheOddOne

LOL, we have been fed pretty decent information till now. People expect the whole game to be layed out for them months before release.

zlatko

Banned
343 you know you want to bring the game to Denver, Colorado for me to play it.

Frankie, I'll let you do shots off my belly if you show up! :D

monome

LOL, we have been fed pretty decent information till now. People expect the whole game to be layed out for them months before release.

I don't expect, and certainly don't want, to have the game revealed before I play it.
That 343i plays the "mysterious" car is awesome.

But honestly, do you care about Chief/Cortana relationship that much?
It's a great thread for a story, but so far it's what I'm being fed and it's the last interesting thing for me when it comes to play an FPS...

And the MP?
Infinity, yeah well it's a funky name for MP, that it matches the name of a ship and introduces the notion of story MP is fucking great, but it coul have been revealed in such a more glorious manner than two lines in a Game Informer magazine.

It's fucking Halo. It's a series I pay first then ask later. So excuse me for wanting some waypoints animus, an ARG etc... a book only a month before the game comes out, at a time in the year where I'll be playing Bioshock, AC3, RE6 etc...is not the best, not by far.

I don't think it's smart to put the lore in cryostasis now, especially with Reach being a desert, nor do I think the messages on changes will be better served by explaining everything at the last moment.
It's the regular way to do it. I thought Halo 4 marketing campaign would go beyond regular.

Again, I don't want Halo 4 to be good, with the money involved it's a given (or a total shame compared what somes devs can do with 1/4 of 343i budget), I want it to be great.
I want to laugh at people who don't play Halo.
I want all my friends to play Halo.
I want the Halo movie.

I want COD dead too, if possible.

anyway...if 343i wants to display the game in Paris, I'll be happy to come ;-)

So..where are the impressions from last night?

and it would be cool if they did this again for Halo 4.

fbLfy.jpg

Yes! That was an awesome experience! I have "my other car is a warthog" license plate holder from that. Please do it again, it was an awesome hype building experience.. Halo 4 marketing needs to kick some ass when it starts up..so far it has been all relatively tame.

Also, RIP ODST firefight. :'(

feel

So..where are the impressions from last night
I'm thinking that 343i might've panicked and decided to ask people shortly after the event to keep the details to themselves.

Or they're sleeping. Or the info is being posted all over the place and everyone here is waiting for someone else to find it.

and it would be cool if they did this again for Halo 4.

fbLfy.jpg
That was so much fun to be a part of. My first taste of Firefight, and it was SO GOOD. The nerd rage when I got moved to the front of the line because urk put my name on a list made it even more glorious. If 343 did anything remotely similar to this for Spartan Ops and/or multiplayer, I would be in heaven.

Wu posted something over at HBO if you are curious, http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1136446

I think we thought it was pretty fun. :)

There'll be a writeup from one or both of us in the near future. (I'm headed out of town today, limited to no internet access until Sunday night, so it won't be coming from me, at least not in the next few days.)

That pic was taken right at the end of the night - you can see that the room is nearly empty. It was a bit more crowded earlier:

Attendees were mostly NFL draft hopefuls and their retinues.

Mig and I look pretty zonked right there because we'd just discovered the 'cheats' screen of the dev kits we were playing on - and had found (once the game actually started) that not all the cheats were... beneficial.

Mig had turned on 'Deathless Player' - I guess he thought it would make him immortal. Instead, where the rest of us saw dead bodies from battles that had already been fought, Mig saw standing targets. Made him pretty paranoid...

I turned on 'Super Jump'. First spawn of the game, I started on the lower level. Hit 'A'... SUICIDE

So yeah... I think we might have been unhappy. :)

(Also, that was close to midnight; I got there at about 6:30, Mig a little later. We were pretty beat, I think.)

Were any tits signed?

Crucio

For us Canadians going to PAX is a simple matter of crossing the border before getting on a flight.
I live in the east and I could go down to bangor and catch a flight to seattle starting at 450$ round trip.
Just rent a car, find some trip mates and drive down to wherever is closest. The more people you bring would be better for hotel costs and the vehicle cost though.
:)

Mik2121

Damn you guys post A LOT.

I posted about a week ago and some fellow posted asking me to add him. I wanted to add him the next time I turned my 360 on now that I bought (today) a 1 year 360 live membership, but I can't find it anymore :(

Anyway, after close to a year without playing all that much Reach (too busy with school and starting my first job), I'm going back so I'm ready whenever Halo 4 releases. I know a bunch of you deleted me from your accounts because I was inactive, but this time I'll try to stick around as much as possible.

Anyway, if you can, go and add me! I wanna play Halo with you guys :) (though I'm in Japan and it might get a tiny bit laggy..)

My gamertag is M1k2121 (yep, that's a 1 instead of an I)

zlatko

Banned
So did I mention how awesome Hasley's journal is? Read it front to back last night in one sitting. Best thing in any limited edition of a game ever.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So did I mention how awesome Hasley's journal is? Read it front to back last night in one sitting. Best thing in any limited edition of a game ever.

Eric Nylund + Kevin Grace (343) + Bungie (Lorraine + Robt) + our MS creative services group = success.

Havok

I don't necessarily think this is true. Consider that in other cycles by now we would be just a couple weeks out (and let's be honest, this is Friends & Family: The Forum, so it would be even sooner) from playing a meaty beta, with several vidocs showing gameplay beforehand. We've got some screenshots, a bit of information, and about 20 seconds of the game actually running now. I can see how people would be a little put off by that.

I suspect it will ramp up exponentially and I personally think the information we have so far is fine, but I take some pretty serious issue with the bolded statement.

WJD

Something similar with Halo 4 would be absolutely perfect. I'd have it over a statue or a cat helmet any day.

It doesn't have to be a journal, just something made with an equal amount of care and detail that we can actually sink our teeth into as opposed to just display on a shelf.

TheOddOne

I don't necessarily think this is true. Consider that in other cycles by now we would be just a couple weeks out (and let's be honest, this is Friends & Family: The Forum, so it would be even sooner) from playing a meaty beta, with several vidocs showing gameplay beforehand. We've got some screenshots, a bit of information, and about 20 seconds of the game actually running now. I can see how people would be a little put off by that.
Thats fair, info wise we got pretty decent stream but real footage has been lacking.

zlatko

Banned
Something similar with Halo 4 would be absolutely perfect. I'd have it over a statue or a cat helmet any day.

It doesn't have to be a journal, just something made with an equal amount of care and detail that we can actually sink our teeth into as opposed to just display on a shelf.

Cortana ship logs over the years in deep space? The OTHER journal that hasley kept that she was using for like 4+ years, and the pages she ripped out?

Still also really want a large t-shirt of the new 343 logo they've been using in a limited edition. :p

Mmh. A folder about an ONI analyse of the Shield World Requiem, Cortana etc.

Top Bottom