• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

Pookmunki

haha welcome to GAF where we "collect" games more than we play them. :D

Shocking isn't it? As if suddenly my job, wife and kids are going to be conducive to all these great games!

On topic, I loved Demon Gaze so psyched to have this sitting on my shelf for a few months before cracking it open.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Shocking isn't it? As if suddenly my job, wife and kids are going to be conducive to all these great games!

On topic, I loved Demon Gaze so psyched to have this sitting on my shelf for a few months before cracking it open.

It should be a good time since the setting and esp the whole crafting mechanic is quite different. Do hope you will have a good time with it when you sit down to play. One thing for sure is there is a lot more loot to find in this game compared to Demon Gaze, so that should keep loot hunters happy haha

MrDoctor

Nice to see this coming out so soon. One thing I'd like to know is which classes are best for maximum dickery. Thinking that would be Assassin and Conjurer?

Parakeetman

Nice to see this coming out so soon. One thing I'd like to know is which classes are best for maximum dickery. Thinking that would be Assassin and Conjurer?

dickery for you or the enemy? lol

The Assassin can be pretty useful if you level it up right. It has some interesting weapons too. Some pretty good armor sets also. For whatever reason I kept finding all sorts of rare Assassin gear which is what caused me to create one in Abyss, which I leveled up to 15 also for my 2nd party, before moving on from the lv cap to the 2nd half of the game. Damage output will be a little low for a while till you start to unlock skills for it and find some of the better weapons.

Since am not as familiar with the Conjurer yet, even though am using one in Op Babel, looking at the info on the JP wiki it seems that the class most def becomes more useful when its in the later stages of its leveling. But early on from my own experience, its not as useful starting out. Im still fairly confused with how to allocate points for the Conjurer when leveling. Since it looks like its a mix of WIS / SPI and LUK. Though I wonder if the physical attack spells use STR or just WIS?

Parakeetman

Hi there the FAQ2 mention rerolling. If I were to reroll, what kind of numbers am I aiming for?

Try to go for at least +5 if you are trying to get high stats. Though the odds are kinda against that so get ready for a lot of rerolling lol.

If you really are crazy you can go bind yourself with the 1 roll rule. :D Or what we like to call "Dorarnae Mode"

SougoXIII

Try to go for at least +5 if you are trying to get high stats. Though the odds are kinda against that so get ready for a lot of rerolling lol.

If you really are crazy you can go bind yourself with the 1 roll rule. :D

Thanks, I plan to go crazy on my second playthrough when I actually know what I am doing :)

Parakeetman

Thanks, I plan to go crazy on my second playthrough when I actually know what I am doing :)

The worst thing that happens with rerolling is when your mind goes numb so you keep pressing the button even though your eyes register that it "was" an insanely good roll. D:

MrDoctor

dickery for you or the enemy? lol
Good question. =P

I was asking about strategies that leave enemies unable to attack or severely weakened, along with status effects and such. Ninja characters are typically designed for that. Sounds like I should def build one from what you said.

Parakeetman

Good question. =P

I was asking about strategies that leave enemies unable to attack or severely weakened, along with status effects and such. Ninja characters are typically designed for that. Sounds like I should def build one from what you said.

Yeah an assassin is pretty good when they start getting ramped up stats / gear wise.

If you want stuff to mess up enemy stats and stuff that would be the Wizard class most def as it has some useful debuffs along with standard nuking stuff. The Academic also has debuffs. LUK will also be important for status effecting spells along side WIS.

One of the more useful debuffs it has is the Jammer Task which basically cuts the effectiveness of attack / healing / buff spells by the enemy in half when successful on a target. This also includes halving the effects of debuffs casted on your party, when said enemy is effected by the Jammer task. Though according to the wiki folks are not sure if this also helps halve the effectiveness of instant death type of spells.

Faustek

Seriously Para, effing awesome OT. As always :)
Anyway got it yesterday, LE, but haven't had time to play yet. Will start in a few hours, if I can find a 12v 18ah battery fairly quickly or if I have to wade into "dad store" at "dad-time" :|

redcrayon

Great stuff Parakeetman, thanks for this.

Looks like it will answer the most common questions as we work downwards through the dungeons.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm really hyped for this. I was a noob to dungeon crawlers, but jumped head first into Demon Gaze. The game destroyed me, but I kept getting better and eventually beat it. Its now one of my all time fav games I've played on Vita.

The OT for this is glorious.

How difficult is this game? Is it really easy to get whole party wiped? I really want to play this game because I like the setting of it.

I'm just worried this game will be like super hard, grind for 10mins, must go back to heal, then go in and grind again, rinse and repeat type thing.

Also, is it really easy to get lost in this game? Seems like a lot of ppl are asking where X is or how come Y is locked etc.

Nice OT!

I'm another one that skipped this in favor of Steins;gate, though I will be getting round to it eventually.

Though, I got stuck on Demon Gaze in that dungeon where you have to get the golems to throw you, so I still have that game to complete too. Probably shouldn't dive into another DRPG while I have that to do.

Still, all the media I've seen of this game looks awesome. Looking forward to it.

Parakeetman

Seriously Para, effing awesome OT. As always :)
Anyway got it yesterday, LE, but haven't had time to play yet. Will start in a few hours, if I can find a 12v 18ah battery fairly quickly or if I have to wade into "dad store" at "dad-time" :|

Thanks man. Do hope you enjoy the game!

Great stuff Parakeetman, thanks for this.

Looks like it will answer the most common questions as we work downwards through the dungeons.

I'm really hyped for this. I was a noob to dungeon crawlers, but jumped head first into Demon Gaze. The game destroyed me, but I kept getting better and eventually beat it. Its now one of my all time fav games I've played on Vita.

The OT for this is glorious.

Nice OT!

I'm another one that skipped this in favor of Steins;gate, though I will be getting round to it eventually.

Though, I got stuck on Demon Gaze in that dungeon where you have to get the golems to throw you, so I still have that game to complete too. Probably shouldn't dive into another DRPG while I have that to do.

Still, all the media I've seen of this game looks awesome. Looking forward to it.

Thanks!

How difficult is this game? Is it really easy to get whole party wiped? I really want to play this game because I like the setting of it.

I'm just worried this game will be like super hard, grind for 10mins, must go back to heal, then go in and grind again, rinse and repeat type thing.

Also, is it really easy to get lost in this game? Seems like a lot of ppl are asking where X is or how come Y is locked etc.

Generally if you keep yourself well equipped including upgraded, dont try to rush through the game it should not be that difficult. Though am unsure what your skill level is with DRPGs and such. Though your second sentence basically describes how folks start out in any DRPG as that just is how games like that are in the series.

There are some larger dungeons or ones that have hidden doors etc, so getting lost is also something that is different from player to player. Some people will get lost, others will not.

people

I keep finding mostly As. weapon/gear.. I wonder if I want to replace one of my front row members (K W S)? I'm only lvl8 yet, so I suppose it's still early enough.. I'll call Hachi for advice.

Parakeetman

I keep finding mostly As. weapon/gear.. I wonder if I want to replace one of my front row members (K W S)? I'm only lvl8 yet, so I suppose it's still early enough.. I'll call Hachi for advice.

haha

yeah isnt it weird? I had the exact same thing in Abyss also, which is what led to me making my own Assassin.

Parakeetman

How does this game fare for someone that's never played a dungeon crawler before?

From the FAQ

A: Game is not overly difficult. While there is some difficulty starting out as with any DRPG due to low stats / poor equipment, once you get things rolling with leveling up and better equipment things do get easier. But the game will put up a fair challenge at times to make things enjoyable. Though there are some game system mechanics that might not be well explained which can leave new users a bit confused. Though feel free to ask questions here if that does occur.

Most def at the start things might be rough as mentioned in the quote above. But if you stick with it, things should get a little easier.

Also the whole "crafting" system will be a little confusing or overwhelming for a new player at first, but once you use it a couple of times its not that bad.

A lot of the general information in the new player info section should help with other general questions too.

Seda

"While there is some difficulty starting out"

hmm, I've been cruising through the early game, hoping it was going to get more difficult. Hope there are at least a few speedbumps along the way.

Parakeetman

"While there is some difficulty starting out"

hmm, I've been cruising through the early game, hoping it was going to get more difficult. Hope there are at least a few speedbumps along the way.

For those used to the series or genre in general its not that much of an issue to move through and get equipment necessary haha. I mean you beat things like Elminage Gothic, which is on a whole different level. :)
Overall the game is not super difficult, but there will be a few sections where the bosses might put up a challenge depending on how prepped your party is.

The one section for me that was a challenge was when
there were 2 boss fights back to back.

Btw how do you like the crafting system in the game?

redcrayon

For those used to the series or genre in general its not that much of an issue to move through and get equipment necessary haha. I mean you beat things like Elminage Gothic, which is on a whole different level. :)
Overall the game is not super difficult, but there will be a few sections where the bosses might put up a challenge depending on how prepped your party is.

The one section for me that was a challenge was when
there were 2 boss fights back to back.

Btw how do you like the crafting system in the game?
Hey, I also beat Elminage Gothic on PSP, I really enjoyed it, reminded me of my D&D tabletop days.

Does this have much in common with it outside of the spell system being casts/day and needing to sleep to level up etc?

Parakeetman

Hey, I also beat Elminage Gothic on PSP, I really enjoyed it, reminded me of my D&D tabletop days.

Does this have much in common with it outside of the spell system being casts/day and needing to sleep to level up etc?

Yeah this game to level up you need to head back the medbay and rest. Same with refilling MP.
When your characters are ready to Lv you will see a little icon on their portraits. At the Lv up screen you will be awarded a status point to put into your character manually.

For healing its generally cheaper to spend MP to heal everyone then pay the fee to rest to recover it, than actually using the recovery function in the medbay.

Same with identifying items once you have the spell unlocked with the Academic. As the better equipment / items is the more it costs to identify.

Which reminds me I need to add this into the OT.

You are unable to respec your status points once its put in. So if you mess things up with a character, your only option is to make another and re-level.

Went and updated the OT and added that bit of info right under the description of the various stats.

Parakeetman

Any tips on which lineage to choose? Also what is the important stats for each class?

That sort of stuff will depend more on what type of build you want. Since yeah know its a bit of a pain with trying to make the decision, since the alignment effects what lineage you can pick also.

General information on what type of stats are important is in the FAQ section. One sec reposting it here.

• STR - Effects physical damage rating for the main hand. Generally higher the STR the higher potential damage output is. Important for any physical attacker class.
  • WIS - Wisdom helps raise the damage rating for spells and effectiveness. Most important stat for the Wiz / Aca. This also effects the Academists ability to identify items automatically I do believe and Brain Spike's success rating.
  • SPI - Spiritual helps boost the effectiveness of healing and support spells. Most important for the Phys, Wiz, Aca. Also effects the Academic's success raiting with Brain Spike.
  • PHY - Physical directly effects the amount of HP gained when leveling up. One of the most important stats for all classes, the Knight in particular. Also effects resistance to 1 hit kill type of attacks.
  • SPD - Speed effects Evade & Miss Chance, turn in combat and also increases the damage rating for off hand weapons for classes that can dual wield weapons. This status is important for the Samurai, Monk and Assassin. But benefits any class that you wish to increase their turn in combat or improve their physical attack accuracy.
  • LUK - Luck effects various things but the main purpose of it would be raising resistance against bad status effects and dealing bad status effects which include 1 hit kill type of moves done by the Samurai for example. It also effects crit rate and is important for specific WIZ, HEAL, PSI codes. Luck also effects the damage output of non-elemental magic such as the Wizards Atomic Work? code. And also the damage rating for PSI codes that are non-elemental attack spells I do believe.

If you have more specific questions let me know and will help you out.

Wow this game has some really unusual mechanics. No mp gauge, wierd number matrix grid for attacks??? Cannot select target to attack? No auto attack?

I've never played anything like this before.

Wereroku

That sort of stuff will depend more on what type of build you want. Since yeah know its a bit of a pain with trying to make the decision, since the alignment effects what lineage you can pick also.

General information on what type of stats are important is in the FAQ section. One sec reposting it here.

If you have more specific questions let me know and will help you out.

Oh Geez sorry just completely missed that part of the FAQ section somehow. I will have to map my people out a bit.

Parakeetman

Oh Geez sorry just completely missed that part of the FAQ section somehow. I will have to map my people out a bit.

Yeah that might be a good idea, esp since we are unable to respec in this game.

Though thankfully the title is not so difficult that a few points off in the wrong direction or not a perfect build will do anything horribly bad to ones team lol.

Those different pre-set stats that you are able to choose from at the start helps things out too as its easier to point your character in a particular direction with those, rather than totally having to rely on a good roll to give more points to balance things out the way you like it.

redcrayon

Yeah this game to level up you need to head back the medbay and rest. Same with refilling MP.
When your characters are ready to Lv you will see a little icon on their portraits. At the Lv up screen you will be awarded a status point to put into your character manually.

For healing its generally cheaper to spend MP to heal everyone then pay the fee to rest to recover it, than actually using the recovery function in the medbay.

Same with identifying items once you have the spell unlocked with the Academic. As the better equipment / items is the more it costs to identify.

Which reminds me I need to add this into the OT.

You are unable to respec your status points once its put in. So if you mess things up with a character, your only option is to make another and re-level.

Went and updated the OT and added that bit of info right under the description of the various stats.
Cheers man, much appreciated.

I'd rather not keep a wizard in just for float, is it really a problem if you take an archer instead?

Parakeetman

Cheers man, much appreciated.

I'd rather not keep a wizard in just for float, is it really a problem if you take an archer instead?

Not really, but you will be using float a lot on occasion and constantly buying those items is a bit of a pain starting out.

There will be some dungeons with
anti-magic panels, which is why its more cost efficient to have a Wiz than trying to constantly use items to put the effect back on.There are items which also grant the ability, but not all classes can use them.
I dont remember if the float items were limited in quantity in Abyss, Id like to say no though? Ok yeah checked it out. The Enfloat items are unlimted stock in the shop. Same with other useful ones such as escape from battle and escape from the dungeon items. Early on its a bit harder to be spending cash constantly on expendable items. Further into the game you should have a decent surplus of cash which makes it less of an issue.

This game there is more emphasis on the casters vs like Demon Gaze for example.

But try it out, its far safer to remove like the Wizard than something like the Physician for example. Other people who are just going for exp and cash remove the Academic and ignore the chip drops after battle. At least early on with the game the traps are not too dangerous so its not like you will have to worry about traps wiping out the party. Thats more like waaaaaaaaaay later into the end game stuff as the higher lv the items go the more dangerous the effects of the traps become. But for a normal play through dont really recall there being much of a thread of getting wiped by a chest. That and there are trap decoys which can be purchased. Later on you will have so much cash that its not an issue stocking up on these sort of things.

Parakeetman

One of the randomly generated names can be 'Jim Sterling' rofl. That took me by surprise.

haha thats interesting. wonder how he got his name in there? dont really follow him too closely, but is he a drpg fan or something?

Prelude.

Really? So the initial word about them being so for a limited time was incorrect? D:
Dark Hero Portraits and the other one are free, only the swimsuits aren't. Though, even the OP doesn't mention that the swimsuit one is free for a limited time like the others.

Parakeetman

Dark Hero Portraits and the other one are free, only the swimsuits aren't. Though, even the OP doesn't mention that the swimsuit one is free for a limited time like the others.

Ill make changes to the ot right now. Thanks for checking it out!

Man not sure if it will fit though as have reached the character limit.

Prelude.

Ill make changes to the ot right now. Thanks for checking it out!

Man not sure if it will fit though as have reached the character limit.
No, I mean, even there the swimsuit one isn't listed as free for a limited time, there shouldn't be anything to change.

Kaibutsu

Forgot I had the LE preordered, only remembered when I got the "we're charging you" email from NISA. Oh well, still looking forward to this but don't know when I'll get to play it...

Parakeetman

No, I mean, even there the swimsuit one isn't listed as free for a limited time, there shouldn't be anything to change.

Ah ok did a recheck and yeah see what you mean. No idea why I always read it as both being free.

I suppose it evens things out considering the West gets the soundtrack w case for free in the LE, where in Japan it was just the swim team and extra items. Oh along with the first print bonus of the Chaos Head Noah portraits.

Ill have to look at the issue you are having in the Demon Gaze thread and do a post there after finding info on it. Saw that you did a post there.

autoduelist

One is very grindy, the one for 3000 battles. One is missable, just make sure you clear every quest before starting the 2nd half to get the trophy for clearing all wanted variant quests.

The rest can be gone back for after the ending I'm pretty sure.

Ok, that sounds fine. I always clear wanted type quests so should be fine. I mostly care about obscure missables. I've had this preordered for ages so it's not like it changes my purchase decision, just how I play. I hate using guides as I go.

In regards to a high lv monk, if specced out correctly apparently it can out damage a warrior which is interesting.

I always go with Monks. Ingrained in me since the original Bard's Tale. They're always super vicious and unhittable [once leveled]. My only issue with them lewt; I like finding obscure weapons for my warriors and monks are often open handed (though sometimes you get gauntlets or claws or whatever).

vall03

Will I like this if I didn't like Demon Gaze? Was thinking if it was more of the same. Are the battle system and gameplay mechanics different?

autoduelist

Will I like this if I didn't like Demon Gaze? Was thinking if it was more of the same. Are the battle system and gameplay mechanics different?

Do you like any drpgs? If so, what do you generally look for in them?

I can't answer as i haven't played this game yet, but that's sort of vital information for anyone to properly answer you.

Parakeetman

The base combat is the same as with most of the general classes. The main difference with this title would be the story / setting and crafting system. Along with a few gameplay features such as MP goes by the old school type of design which is limited uses per levels of magic. Vs an pool of MP which spells draw from.

If it was the base combat that you did not enjoy, then you might not enjoy this game also.

Let us know what you did not like about Demon Gaze in particular and should be easier to give you a more exact answer.

Top Bottom