• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Yea Yamcha got some great some great figures.
yamcha-2.jpg

Yeah, that's a really iconic pose. Yamcha going head strong into situations and falling flat in comedic ways is his character. Despite his role in the series he's still a memorable character and always had a unique fighting style.

Also, his Figurarts figure looks awesome if you wanna pick and choose.

bubumiao

Do we have any idea how many characters to expect in the full roster? They have so many characters to choose from, I'm hoping for a huge roster. Since it's 3v3 I'd be cool with 50.

Dueck

Banned
I know he doesn't have a chance in hell but I really want Kogu (Bojack movie)

I mean just look at him...

latest

Its a shame such a good design was wasted as fodder in a non-canon movie, but it still looks dope, so maybe DLC is a possibility.

Also, he's the closest thing to Crono that we're ever gonna get for this game

I love Bojack's crew. It'd be great to have them here, given enough roster space left after the mandatory characters have their spots. I prefer Bojack and Zangya, but anything is better than nothing. After the currently confirmed ones, I'd only be reasonably disappointed if Android 18, Piccolo, and at least one surprise don't make the cut (such as Caulifla, Baby, Pan, or a movie character that isn't Cooler or Broly...)

Skab

I know he doesn't have a chance in hell but I really want Kogu (Bojack movie)

I mean just look at him...

latest

Its a shame such a good design was wasted as fodder in a non-canon movie, but it still looks dope, so maybe DLC is a possibility.

Also, he's the closest thing to Crono that we're ever gonna get for this game

Dude got wrecked by Trunks

You guys can check out DaiAndOh impression on DBFZ if your interested in the gameplay.

2H is a universal anti air.

Yeah we've known that for a minute.

Some stuff I didn't know in there though. Not sure about others

HOWEVER an important mechanic that's not looked at enough is tag supers. Pressing 236/214 assist (while in neutral state? Not sure) will have the appropriate character come in with a super while tagging in. I made use of this to switch often for 1 meter rather than 2. Characters have lots of recoverable life so safe switching maximizes your health significantly. This mechanic removes some startup invincibility though. It can be done with level 3 supers as well.

This mechanic is important because of space control implications. You may think you're safe approaching from certain angles against Vegeta with one meter but Gohan tag supers in with an anti-air Kamehameha and you're done...

This is really cool and might address some issues people had with the lack of assist options.

It's easy to see those who never watched original DB here, I hope Yamcha makes it, he is still one of the strongest humans there is. He also tapped Bulma first.

It's easy to see those who never watched original DB here, I hope Yamcha makes it, he is still one of the strongest humans there is. He also tapped Bulma first.

Yamcha is only ever really formidable in his first appearance/fight vs Goku. Then Goku gets something to eat and bops him

After that he just jobs for villains. (Well I guess Jackie Chun and Kami aren't villains but still)

Flousn

I miss the times when Piccolo was a Character of relevant fighting power. Such a great Design and an unique moveset. I hope he gets some spotlight in the ToP-Arc...

Let him fuse with the entirety of U6-Namek for the sake of saving their species and wreck shit with Gohan.
Goku be damned ;)

bubumiao

no where near 50, would be lucky if it were half that.

Im expecting between 16-20
Why? Because of how long it takes to animate/develop each character?

The Budokai games had tons of characters (I realize this takes more time since it's more complicated animation).

They know fans will want a lot of characters though. This game is trying to compete with MvC∞ afterall in the tag battle fighting genre.

There will be no less than 50 I say! 😅

Puruzi

Banned

The Budokai games had tons of characters (I realize this takes more time since it's more complicated animation).

They know fans will want a lot of characters though. This game is trying to compete with MvC∞ afterall in the tag battle fighting genre.

LMAO

24-27 at absolute MAX

And even then I'm pushing it.

I miss the times when Piccolo was a Character of relevant fighting power. Such a great Design and an unique moveset. I hope he gets some spotlight in the ToP-Arc...

Let him fuse with the entirety of U6-Namek for the sake of saving their species and wreck shit with Gohan.
Goku be damned ;)

Watch episode 88 of Super.

He was incredible there.

Do we have any idea how many characters to expect in the full roster? They have so many characters to choose from, I'm hoping for a huge roster. Since it's 3v3 I'd be cool with 50.
Cool with 50?! LOL, so you guess you'd be fine with only 50, huh?

Shit, I'd only be cool with 70. Nothing less is acceptable imo.

Neoxon

ASW is starting from scratch, so I'd expect 16-24 on Day 1.

mas8705

Was about to try and post this, but not like I'm complaining that someone else posted it first.

That attention to detail that Arc System Works did to recreate this move of Trunksis nothing short of amazing. I remember that someone had posted the version that was done by Trunks that blurred his hand movements rather than trying to animate it, so this makes it all the more impressive to witness.

As for who we'll see in the beta besides Trunks, One guess is definitely Piccolo. It is almost a guarentee that he's in, so it would make sense to add him in right now. As for the other, I continue to struggle to think of who else it would be. Some say an Android, others say Krillin. Part of me feels thought that should Krillin be in the game, it probably will be announced here since it would be as low key of an announcement that could be done to include him in. Not to undersell him of course, but I can't imagine if say a month or two before the game comes out, people are going to be like, "FINALLY! KRILLIN IS IN DRAGONBALL FIGHTERZ!!!"

bubumiao

The designs aren't as crazy as GGXrd characters, so I could see ASW pushing for 24 characters at launch.
And they're pulling from designs that already exist so it's not like they need to waste time conceptualizing on possible designs.

24 at launch plus 6 DLC, we'll at least make it to 30. Just my opinion.

maks

Its all complete speculation so far. Not even a single hint from any interview about how large the cast will be and how large of a team is working on this. I don't even think a single interviewer asked how large the roster could be or how long they've been at it! Since each character doesn't seem to be as complex mechanics-wise as BB or GG characters then a larger cast is entirely possible.

I lean towards 30

RocBase

Its all complete speculation so far. Not even a single hint from any interview about how large the cast will be and how large of a team is working on this. I don't even think a single interviewer asked how large the roster could be or how long they've been at it! Since each character doesn't seem to be as complex mechanics-wise as BB or GG characters then a larger cast is entirely possible.

I lean towards 30

We actually kinda did have a hint, though its context is a little nebulous as it could apply to anything concerning content. Tomoko Hiroki and Junya Motomura (from ASW) had an interview at EVO where they did state that they're actively trying to make a packed, dense game.

And concerning which team is working on this, it was also mentioned in the same interview that lots of members from all the different teams at Arc are putting work in this, so it's not just the GG team or BB team specifically. From the sounds of things I got the impression they got a big team behind the game.

Interview in question here (from 02:30:00): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/159356991

Yukira

Neo Member
From the old interview when they develop Xrd, they told us that each character require 3-4 ppl to do the model in 2 months, and 2 months more for the animation. So about 4 months per character I guess ?

AESplusF

From the old interview when they develop Xrd, they told us that each character require 3-4 ppl to do the model in 2 months, and 2 months more for the animation. So about 4 months per character I guess ?

That's not really relevant, since then I'm sure they've become more efficient, and the characters along with their poses already exist.

people forgetting what the original cast of BB looked like.

it's okay. We'll get this 9-10 years down the line.

People are also forgetting Namco Bandai is budgeting this. Game doesn't come out till next year and we've already got 9 characters. I think it's safe to assume we're getting over 20 characters.

TreIII

...It's Bulma.

When was the opportunity for such? Yamcha was running off for training, being a womanizer that pissed her off, dead and etc., that it doesn't even seem like Yamcha and Bulma really got a chance to seriously hit it off during their "on-again, off-again" phase.

And clearly, homegirl probably doesn't care about protection but so much if she got knocked up by Vegeta on the first available opportunity.

Top Bottom