• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New games at MS Gamer's Day: Banjo 3 and Vina Pinata 2 pics leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

raYne

gnarkill bill said:
ANSWER THIS, please.
From the GI thread:
SolidSnakex said:
- GI says that despite the large focus on vehicles it still features platform elements from the previous games like traditional platforming, tight rope walking and jiggy piece collecting.

Should probably have a good mix of the two.

godhandiscen said:
So this year I am getting:

Banjo 3
Viva Pinata 2 (doubt it will come this year, but I can dream).
Fable 2
Too Human
Halo Wars
Gears of War 2

So suddenly Microsoft went from having a lackluster 2008 to having a possible better year than 2007? I don't think so. As somebody said earlier, people just underestimated Microsoft, the cards were always there. Now that Ms has finally shown its 2008 lineup it seems like it is every bit as strong as Sony's.

they still have more to show also

Prine

Banned
NeXuSDK said:
Ok, since the embargo has ended, I guess I can spill some beans on Banjo and VP2 as well (besides what you already know from GI).

Banjo (slated for November):
- Building vehicles is basically like playing with LEGO. You can <i>always</i> jump in and out of the vehicle editor and come right back to the game with the new design.
- Parts are easily placed and moved around. You don't have to worry about connecting the motor with the wheels for example. Just place everything so they stick together and don't get in the way.
- Vehicle designs can play a large role in missions. We saw one where you had to collect coconuts from a field and got a small truck that could suck them up. Unfortunately you couldn't fit all the coconuts in the truck and had to back and deliver them in a large barrel. We were then shown how you could create a helicopter with a hook, that could pick up this large barrel, fly to the coconut field and fly low to scoop the coconuts in the barrel.
- Physics are awesome in this game and everywhere! With one design I placed the foot-in-a-box weapon behind a propella, and when I tried to use it, the foot/boot couldn't get past the propella... well, until I used it enough times to actually kick the propella off the vehicle!
- Pixel art... imagine the possibilities (Rare already had an example of this, paying homage to a certain plumber)
- Multiplayer is great fun with the ability to either chose from pre-fabricated or own vehicle designs. It still needs some polish here and there, but showed great promise.

VP2 (slated for September):
- I will only touch on one feature here, as GI already touched on many of the more traditional improvements. This feature is extremely cool though, in two ways.
1. VP2 uses the Vision Camera in combination with physical cards sorta like Eye of Judgement. It basically scans a small code on the card, when it's being held up in front of the camera, and this can both insert custom designed pinatas, unlock buildings or abilities, change the weather and many other things. We were told how Rare had designed a moose that got a big, red nose only around christmas time... and this could be passed around with these cards.
2. So the game also got a photo mode. Cool, but that's not the best! This photo mode is able to interpret the pictures and create the above-mentioned code based on the picture. Basically, you will have a card generator available on the internet! Imagine this: you have created this really cool pinata and instead of the tiresome task of sending it only to selected friends on Live, you can take a picture of it, get the code/card generated and share it on a forum. Instantly everyone will be able to get the pinata in their game and since the camera can also read from LCD screens, ipods, zunes etc., there is little to no hassle. Now THAT'S sharing!

TIS A GLORIOUS DAY TO BE A RARE FAN.

NeXuSDK

tak said:
NeXuSDK, I have question about Banjo, did you find Banjo fun and what was fun about it?

Did I find it fun? Me and colleague haven't stopped thinking about it since we played it. It was extremely fun being able to create your own vehicles however you wanted it and play around with them. Just that in itself. It works so great! Add balloons and it will start to float. Add wings and you can actually steer in the air and fly around. Add inflatable balls and you won't sink when landing on water. Add a propella and you got propulsion in the water. Everything makes sense and work exactly how you think they will.

Now take that concept into multiplayer...

Owzers

People with Viva 2 news....any word on whether or not you'll have a much larger garden to populate? The item/pinata constraints in the first game were brutal.

tak

NeXuSDK said:
Did I find it fun? Me and colleague haven't stopped thinking about it since we played it. It was extremely fun being able to create your own vehicles however you wanted it and play around with them. Just that in itself. It works so great! Add balloons and it will start to float. Add wings and you can actually steer in the air and fly around. Add inflatable balls and you won't sink when landing on water. Add a propella and you got propulsion in the water. Everything makes sense and work exactly how you think they will.

sweet :)

NeXuSDK said:
2. So the game also got a photo mode. Cool, but that's not the best! This photo mode is able to interpret the pictures and create the above-mentioned code based on the picture. Basically, you will have a card generator available on the internet! Imagine this: you have created this really cool pinata and instead of the tiresome task of sending it only to selected friends on Live, you can take a picture of it, get the code/card generated and share it on a forum. Instantly everyone will be able to get the pinata in their game and since the camera can also read from LCD screens, ipods, zunes etc., there is little to no hassle. Now THAT'S sharing!

Something new. Not excited about VP 2 that much but this feature should be included in SDK so that other games can use it for easy content sharing.

Everything about Banjo 3 sounds fun. Hopefully it will be fun to play.

clashfan

NeXuSDK said:

Oh my...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
blah blah blah vehicle building with tons of combinations and blah blah blah 30 new pinatas one modeled after shane bettenhausen blah blah

UNPROTECTED VIDEOGAME SEX

Prine

Banned
NeXuSDK said:

Sounds incredible, thanks brother

I said WOW @ NexuSDK's info..
I'll be damned if anyone can't see the brilliance in the mechanic (in relation to platforming) after this example:

- Vehicle designs can play a large role in missions. We saw one where you had to collect coconuts from a field and got a small truck that could suck them up. Unfortunately you couldn't fit all the coconuts in the truck and had to back and deliver them in a large barrel. We were then shown how you could create a helicopter with a hook, that could pick up this large barrel, fly to the coconut field and fly low to scoop the coconuts in the barrel.

Just wow..

Coupled with the ease and convenience of being able to edit vehicles on the fly..
Rare has a winner. :D

NeXuSDK said:
Ok, since the embargo has ended, I guess I can spill some beans on Banjo and VP2 as well (besides what you already know from GI).

Banjo (slated for November):
- Building vehicles is basically like playing with LEGO. You can <i>always</i> jump in and out of the vehicle editor and come right back to the game with the new design.
- Parts are easily placed and moved around. You don't have to worry about connecting the motor with the wheels for example. Just place everything so they stick together and don't get in the way.
- Physics are awesome in this game and everywhere! With one design I placed the foot-in-a-box weapon behind a propella, and when I tried to use it, the foot/boot couldn't get past the propella... well, until I used it enough times to actually kick the propella off the vehicle!
- Pixel art... imagine the possibilities (Rare already had an example of this, paying homage to a certain plumber)
- Multiplayer is great fun with the ability to either chose from pre-fabricated or own vehicle designs. It still needs some polish here and there, but showed great promise.

VP2 (slated for September):
- I will only touch on one feature here, as GI already touched on many of the more traditional improvements. This feature is extremely cool though, in two ways.
1. VP2 uses the Vision Camera in combination with physical cards sorta like Eye of Judgement. It basically scans a small code on the card, when it's being held up in front of the camera, and this can both insert custom designed pinatas, unlock buildings or abilities, change the weather and many other things. We were told how Rare had designed a moose that got a big, red nose only around christmas time... and this could be passed around with these cards.
Holy Shit! /dies

tak said:

COME ON, PEOPLE! You guys call yourselves fans of the series...? Did you guys play the two N64 games? I know, they weren't perfect, and they're not really good platformers, but it doesn't appear as if the BK all of you played in those days will see a proper evolution with this release, which is apparently oriented more for multiplayer and platforming as an afterthought.

Ryuuga

Banned
Thanks NexuSDK

Any worries I had are now gone. My only major concern with vehicles is that they'd only be used for transport across vast (yet sparse) vistas. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the video much more now.

NeXuSDK

VP2 garden is the same size as before, although you can visit new areas (artic/desert) to collect pinatas. You can't build here, but will have to lure pinatas out with bate and try to trap them in different contraptions.

Before I'm off to sleepy land, I wanted to share two pics. The first is of a VP2 card, also called Pinata Vision. Microsoft/Rare had asked us our favorite pet beforehand and we all had our personal pinata created. I was scared to see how much my pinata resembled me!

vp2.jpg

Also, I picked this up on the tour of the barns. Make of it what you will:

ki3.jpg

WrikaWrek

Banned
NeXuSDK said:

Doesn't the game look flat? Like too plain?

There's no grass or anything. Doesn't it feel empty? It bugs me in the screenshots.

Issues framing animations? WTF?

It's real.

Onions

Sounds like both Banjo and Viva Pinata2 will be crammed with shiney graphics and content nomnomnom!
Fable2 looks great, the img-quality is a mess though, it appeared much clearer back at GDC.
Wtf is Ninja Sword?
Videofootage, please!!!

NeXuSDK

WrikaWrek said:
Doesn't the game look flat? Like too plain?

There's no grass or anything. Doesn't it feel empty? It bugs me in the screenshots.

I did notice that initially, when the game was presented, but when I first got my hands on it, it was the least I could think of.

TheGrayGhost said:

COME ON, PEOPLE! You guys call yourselves fans of the series...? Did you guys play the two N64 games? I know, they weren't perfect, and they're not really good platformers, but it doesn't appear as if the BK all of you played in those days will see a proper evolution with this release, which is apparently oriented more for multiplayer and platforming as an afterthought.

I understand where you're coming from believe me I do and Im skeptical myself until I see a video and some more info. I have faith in RARE...always have.

tak

TheGrayGhost said:

Why did you quote me?

NeXuSDK

Kildace said:
Um, isn't this covered by some sort of NDA? This could get you into trouble ...

Personally, I think it was some kind of joke. No word was spoken about it, I was only there to see Banjo and VP and that's what the NDA covered. As I said, make of the picture what you will (I don't think it confirms anything), but I just had to share this with gaf :lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
NeXuSDK said:
Also, I picked this up on the tour of the barns. Make of it what you will:

ki3.jpg
I am shaking right now, and my eyes are getting watery.... *joy*

GhaleonEB said:
GAF is going to melt down over that one.

Its more than a meltdown. If KI comes this gen, I could die after playing it and then tell God "I've played it all".

cabel

NeXuSDK said:
Personally, I think it was some kind of joke. No word was spoken about it, I was only there to see Banjo and VP and that's what the NDA covered. As I said, make of the picture what you will (I don't think it confirms anything), but I just had to share this with gaf :lol

I love that you posted this because I love a good leak (in all forms), but I totally wouldn't put it past RARE to plant a fake flyer.

Vestal

Gold Member
KI3?!?! Is that a joke picture? seriously, If this is coming out then apparently Duke Nukem Forever is trully coming out!
My jaw is on the floor atm.

godhandiscen

grandjedi6 said:
There are so many Killer Instinct jokes going around that it is going to happen
Yes, but not this gen. MS has no reason to greenlight a KI project when SF4 and SC4 are already coming to the system.

godhandiscen

Quazar said:
Any word on Ninja Blade yet?
Duckroll knows. Supposedly some composer spiller the beans on an interview a while ago. Game is a mix of Matrix/Ninja themes. Thats all I can remember.

Kafel

Banned
So Lips is a hardware thing ?

It sounds strange :

182811950220080511220404.jpg

With that title, I would have said it's some sort of sequel to N.U.D.E

NeXuSDK said:

LOVE ME.

KI3? *hearts*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom