• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dude buys around 45 copies of the LE Hyrule Historia just to sell on Craigslist

Xzeon

Banned
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/vgm/3611424724.html

ECuByr3.png
saw this on r/gamecollecting.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/18l6ia/if_you_do_this_then_youre_an_asshole_that/

what a piece of shit.

shuri

Banned
Good for him, he's certainly going to make a good profit and those books or whatever are going to end in the hands of true fans. Nobody loses!

Why does taking advantage of a limited time opportunity make him a piece of shit, exactly? Do you think they should have limited them to one per customer?

Jackano

Lol, this is not even getting that rare.

It's not Nintendo printed (well, the NA version).
DarkHorse could very well made another reprint soon.
And we have words that it will localized, for instance, in french this summer.

I don't know how much he wants to reseel it but he will probably keep them for some time.

Eusis

Did he do this on Amazon? Either way it's still a shitty scenario, at best by bundling them up they were less likely to suffer damage, assuming he packages them right or doesn't damage them in the mean time.
The difference between this and the regular one is just the hardcover right?
And gold trim. It's why this is more frustrating out of principle than something I actually missed out on, to be honest I'd get more out of credit on Amazon or something.

Who cares?

And i'm not saying that as some sort of snide remark as to why this is a thread on Neogaf or Reddit, I really do mean who genuinely, actually cares that some random guy out of 7 billion on the planet bought a few books and sold them for profit? Big fucking deal!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like he wasted his money if it's not rare, and there's not enough Zelda fans to go around. I guess a lot of Zelda fans fell off the wagon last gen - I know I sure did, and I wasn't much of a fan.

fvng

I honestly don't mind. I feel the same way about this how I feel about scalping.

When you buy a ticket from a scalper, it's because he took the initiative to buy tickets early where you did not. You pay a premium to make up for the fact that you didn't buy them when you had the opportunity.

Where we start treading into unethical territory is when the sellers of the original product are in cahoots with the scalpers/after market sellers.. Example: Digital River & PlayCanada with Ni No Kuni, or Ticketmaster's partnership with websites like Stubhub, fucking over regular people from having their fair shot at the item they want.

Roo

Now that I see this.. I better put my hands on one of those before they run out of print
:O
My local game store has like 5 of these so..

Xzeon

Banned
Why does taking advantage of a limited time opportunity make him a piece of shit, exactly? Do you think they should have limited them to one per customer?

cuz theres people that actually wanted to own a copy, not just buy it so they could turn around and make a profit.

now if you want one you have to pay double from people who do stuff like this.

DJ_Lae

The people who would waste money on those LEs are just fuelling people like him.

Regular edition is better looking anyway.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
cuz theres people that actually wanted own a copy, not just buy it so they could turn around and make a profit.

now if you want one you have to pay double from people who do stuff like this.

If they're true fans, then they'll pay and that's what it's worth. Sounds like Dark Horse should have priced them higher.

entremet

I honestly don't mind. I feel the same way about this how I feel about scalping.

When you buy a ticket from a scalper, it's because he took the initiative to buy tickets early where you did not. You pay a premium to make up for the fact that you didn't buy them when you had the opportunity.

Where we start treading into unethical territory is when the sellers of the original product are in cahoots with the scalpers/after market sellers.. Example: Digital River & PlayCanada with Ni No Kuni, or Ticketmaster's partnership with websites like Stubhub, fucking over regular people from having their fair shot at the item they want.
Ugh. Where defending scum like ticket scalpers now.

Kubisa

Neo Member
Not a big deal at all. Welcome to the free market; if people still buy them at the price he's selling them, then it's a mutually beneficial transaction.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Reminds me of the time Best Buy was selling Arkham City copies for half of what Gamestop was giving for trade ins, people were angry(needlessly) then too.

fvng

Ugh. Where defending scum like ticket scalpers now.

Where and we're are different words, and please read my rationale before having a knee jerk reaction to it. Scarcity + Demand drives up price. Hate it now, but love it when you flip your favorite video game limited editions when you're strapped for cash down the road.

Om3ga

Sucks that he was able to purchase that many, there should have been a limit. Either way he got them, and the people that truly want them will buy them up eventually.

He stands to make as high as almost 10k with little effort. Kind of makes me wish I bought some to sell too!! *shrugs* this is life.

Eusis

Sounds like he wasted his money if it's not rare, and there's not enough Zelda fans to go around. I guess a lot of Zelda fans fell off the wagon last gen - I know I sure did, and I wasn't much of a fan.
Only 4,000 copies of this version, and the regular one managed to sell 500k and hit the NYT BestSeller list. You are profoundly overestimating Zelda fans were alienated.

jediyoshi

No one is denying this. Don't kid yourself.

PaulLFC

Where and we're are different words, and please read my rationale before having a knee jerk reaction to it. Scarcity + Demand drives up price. Hate it now, but love it when you flip your favorite video game limited editions when you're strapped for cash down the road.
"Favourite limited editions" for most people will be one copy of each game. Not 45 copies.

Xzeon

Banned
right in his damn listing.

Craigslist Post said:
Be one of the lucky few in the world to own this highly collectible piece! It's sold out in all stores in less than a day and many have received cancellations from ordering too late. This will be one of the most treasured item for a Zelda collection.

people that had it ordered already got fucked over.

heres the top comment in the r/gamecollecting thread.

ShadowMoses05 said:
I'm so happy Amazon decided to cancel my order because they ran out of stock and decided to ship this fuckwad 30 copies instead.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollect...ou_do_this_then_youre_an_asshole_that/c8fqg9a

fvng

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
These comments on the reddit article made me laugh:

Some people just go to the extreme when they think they can push a profit on gaming items. This is like when the Wii was released and you would see people who had 50-100 in a massive stack and were selling them
I got quite a bit of Schadenfreude when the local classifieds were FILLED with Wii-U ads... and then the prices kept dropping until they were WAY below retail. The Wii-U was well stocked beyond demand, and all these people had wasted their time and money trying to flip it for a quick easy buck.

Top Bottom