• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new 4" DSi model to be released within this year in Japan

neo2046

source: today's Nikkei morning post
http://blog.livedoor.jp/jim115/archives/51286284.html

according to the article
it seems basically the spec and the function of the new model remain the same,
just the screen become bigger
The retaiil price is the same, 18900 yen
The new 4" DSi model will be released within this year in Japan, places outside Japan are still under discussion

v0yce

I don't think I'd want to see DS games (especially DS 3D games) any bigger. That could get pretty ugly. Am I missing something? How much can I expect the image quality to suffer?

Xeke

Banned
v0yce said:
I don't think I'd want to see DS games (especially DS 3D games) any bigger. That could get pretty ugly. Am I missing something?

DSi 3D games will look somewhat better with more resources, DSi only games will probably start appearing at 4" naturally and 3.25" reduced on the original model.

Neomoto

I kind of remember reading about this somewhere.. wasn't this a version made for "older people" so they can use a bigger screen with things like Brain Training and whatnot? Maybe I'm just imagining things.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Inferno313 said:
Wat??
Pics?
Links?
Articles?
Anything?!?

OP fails hard.

Don't worry, n4g will link to this thread soon enough. Then I can give you a link that links to this thread.

Caaz

Even bigger pixels, yeah. 4 inches is huge, and at the DS' resolution, games are going to be really, really ugly if true.

donny2112

A Twisty Fluken said:
OG DS is 3"
DSi is 3.25"

The larger screen size is barely noticeable. I can go back to a regular DS and not really see the difference in screen size. 4" is a big increase in comparison, though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
donny2112 said:
The larger screen size is barely noticeable. I can go back to a regular DS and not really see the difference in screen size. 4" is a big increase in comparison, though.

I thought the difference between DS Lite and DSi was kinda big.

Xeke said:
DSi 3D games will look somewhat better with more resources, DSi only games will probably start appearing at 4" naturally and 3.25" reduced on the original model.

There is no indication that they are changing the resolution, so there is no way for the DSi to make games "appear" at 4". DSi only games might get slightly better textures and stuff, possibly better anti-aliasing, but you shouldn't assume that its getting a resolution bump.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
oh boy now you can all get your hopes up AGAIN about brand new features it won't have because won't be a real DS 2! it's like christmas for bitches!

ethelred

Subliminal42 said:
Has Nintendo Really run out of ideas?

Yes.

This has been yet another installment of "Simple Answers to Simple Questions."

jooey said:
oh boy now you can all get your hopes up AGAIN about brand new features it won't have because won't be a real DS 2! it's like christmas for bitches!

Won't have any new games, either.

Subliminal42 said:
Also,

Has Nintendo Really run out of ideas?

Releasing a slightly bigger screen is just.. Uninspired.

What would you rather - a relatively minor spec change or another major revision hot on the heels of the DSi?

MGrant

Shit, at this rate I'll never upgrade from my DS Fat. Slow down the revisions for a couple of quarters, Nintendo.

duckroll

It's kinda odd that Nintendo would think the DSi would actually benefit customers by having a larger screen. The screen size right now is fine, and fits the hardware capabilities fine. I'm not exactly sure what the rational is for making a bigger portable with the same specs, when the usual route is to make them smaller while maintaining the same amount of power, or offering a higher spec.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
It's kinda odd that Nintendo would think the DSi would actually benefit customers by having a larger screen. The screen size right now is fine, and fits the hardware capabilities fine. I'm not exactly sure what the rational is for making a bigger portable with the same specs, when the usual route is to make them smaller while maintaining the same amount of power, or offering a higher spec.
Maybe they're trying to expand into the poor vision market.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
True, hasn't the large screen rumor been around for a few years now? rationalized as an attempt to appeal to old folks?

Aru

Bigger than the PSP Go's screen and smaller than the PSP's screen.

Not sure what to think about this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm guessing the supplier for these screens just produced bigger screens and offering at same cost to Nintendo, so there's no price difference or any new features in this 'new' models.

A Twisty Fluken said:
four inches is huge and i can't wait to wrap my hands around it
4yzcy92.gif

KingJ2002

Thanks for the heads up neo.

I think this probably is a better indicator if any that nintendo is gearing up to release a DS successor. This is very much a market testor to gauge interest in a hardware revamp.

Top Bottom