• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Something that I hoped for since the Reach beta that I hope makes it in for 4: please don't make jetpack difficult for Bumper Jumper. Really, just let me press jump twice to activate it! It's not like I'm ever going to activate it without jumping first anyway!

I still think it would be cool if armor ability energy didn't recharge, and you had to pick up energy to make it work.
So it would be similar to Halo's past powerups.
That actually sounds cool. Gives a little more thought to it instead of just using them willy nilly.

As much as I love seeing Marty's face, three posts in a row is a little much :)

I still think it would be cool if armor ability energy didn't recharge, and you had to pick up energy to make it work.
So it would be similar to Halo's past powerups.

yeah, that's a good idea I never thought of. It makes it more strategic rather than just mashing sprint all game. You could use it to run away once or twice, but not all game.

Karl2177

It's one of those details that just screams "devoid of context". I'm really not sure what to make of it, but I'll give 343 the benefit of the doubt until we know what exactly that means and how it will be implemented.

That's my interpretaion as well. Particularly the bit about it being as grand in scope as the campaign. I'm picturing some really brutal combat situations to progress through large parts of - perhaps entire - campaign missions, with objectives and goals that can vary. It's pretty much what I wanted Firefight to evolve into. We'll see, but hot damn am I interested.

I still don't think it should have conventionally been evolved. Firefight can still exist in its current form, as well as having a Spec Ops. In fact I've been saying it since OT6. I'm disappointed that they axed it completely instead of having them be parallel experiences.

I still don't think it should have conventionally been evolved. Firefight can still exist in its current form, as well as having a Spec Ops. In fact I've been saying it since OT6. I'm disappointed that they axed it completely instead of having them be parallel experiences.

I would assume that there will be Firefight type missions/scenarios in Spartan Ops.

Gui_PT

Guys, we don't know how any of this will work or be implemented. And Frankie has mentioned somethings have changed since.

Simmer down now

kylej

Banned
Guys, we don't know how any of this will work or be implemented. And Frankie has mentioned somethings have changed since.

Simmer down now

I'm most looking forward to their explanation on how this isn't aping COD or Battlefield at all. Bring the podcast on.

But I can not be freaking out and still say it's an awful idea... this is perhaps the most concerning thing listed in all the information for me...

Knowledge isn't a skill, it's the implementation of the knowledge that's the skill; and knowledge is something that's available to all. It's up to the individual to seek it, or not. It's implementation is the skill gap. I'd rather have competition based on knowledge than luck. Luck, or randomness, cannot be balanced. Even if things are implemented like timers and markers noting where and when drops are made... even if the weapons are identified... it won't remove the "luck" of just being in the right place at the right time relative to the other team.

Truthfully - I have no idea how this idea was ever contemplated in a Halo title.

I still can't wait for the release - I'm definitely excited to play a new Halo, even one that has evolved... as long as that evolution is implemented well.

Multiple "valid" reasons exists for randomized power weapon spawning.

Initial Spawning rush for power weapons is gone.
New players dont have to have intimate map knowledge to be able to get power weapons
Its creates focal points for action mid game
Its reduces camping

However i see negatives

Reduced Skill gap (has positive effects aswell)
More likely to get betrayed for weapons
Depending on spawn times it could cause a reduced amount of power weapons during gameplay.

So I'm curious, what are the points that are most discomforting to people?

Wildcard power weapons?

Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?

If I had one that had me more worried that the rest, it would be the power weapons. That said, as long as map based weapons are still existent, and the weapons that spawn "randomly" aren't entirely random but rather where they spawn varies then I'm happy.

I can handle custom starting weapons, in fact I wanted it. Sort of. As long as we can't spawn with guns like snipers and shotguns then I am happy. If I were to take a guess, we will choose between weapons like the AR, BR, DMR, Carbine, etc. If they will be customizable I am not sure, it may be possible to do certain cosmetic upgrades.. maybe custom scopes, but I don't think it will go beyond that. Basically, it seems it will be Halos take on a system like Gears of War 3 mixed with Black Ops. In other words, I'm not too worried, I think it will be fine. If more details hit that aren't so positive, such as starting with snipers whenever you want, I will join the freak out list. For now, consider me intrigued and excited.

Also, I fully expect Barebones/Classic options to be built into the MP.

Yeah, imagine if there's a Spartan Ops game type called Siege. That's Firefight, right there.

Yup, I fully expect a mode like this, maybe more basic than Reach's FF, but still a spiritual FF successor.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
hgcu1.jpg

You see, for me, the problem is that I can't see a way (yet) where I will enjoy these ''random'' weapon spawns. Of course, if 343 can make it awesome, I'll be all in for it but I just can't imagine I will.

Winning 49-46. Enemy team gets a random rocket weapon drop. I eject my Halo 4 disk never to be touched again. As many have said we don't know the nuts and bolts of how the system works but it just seems rank with horrible possibilities.

GhaleonEB

neoism

Sprint

So not only is sprint in the game, but it is a standard armor ability. You do not need to pick it up, it will always be available. You do not need to buy it with your Spartan Points, you will always have it equipped no matter what. So essentially, you can have two armor abilities.

GAME OF FOREVER

Kuroyume

Banned

Wildcard power weapons?

Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?

If I had one that had me more worried that the rest, it would be the power weapons. That said, as long as map based weapons are still existent, and the weapons that spawn "randomly" aren't entirely random but rather where they spawn varies then I'm happy.

I can handle custom starting weapons, in fact I wanted it. Sort of. As long as we can't spawn with guns like snipers and shotguns then I am happy. If I were to take a guess, we will choose between weapons like the AR, BR, DMR, Carbine, etc. If they will be customizable I am not sure, it may be possible to do certain cosmetic upgrades.. maybe custom scopes, but I don't think it will go beyond that. Basically, it seems it will be Halos take on a system like Gears of War 3 mixed with Black Ops. In other words, I'm not too worried, I think it will be fine. If more details hit that aren't so positive, such as starting with snipers whenever you want, I will join the freak out list. For now, consider me intrigued and excited.

Yup, I fully expect a mode like this, maybe more basic than Reach's FF, but still a spiritual FF successor.

If random weapon spawns/timers and armor abilities in the loadouts (not weapons) didn't exist I'd be happy with every bit of news on this game.

Instant respawn doesn't bother me as much as the other stuff assuming that shield recharge is quick. Joining games in progress is long overdue as are choosing weapon loadouts.

feel

Wildcard power weapons?

Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?

Return of Armor Abilities/Sprint by far.

Multiple "valid" reasons exists for randomized power weapon spawning.

Initial Spawning rush for power weapons is gone.
New players dont have to have intimate map knowledge to be able to get power weapons
Its creates focal points for action mid game
Its reduces camping

However i see negatives

Reduced Skill gap (has positive effects aswell)
More likely to get betrayed for weapons
Depending on spawn times it could cause a reduced amount of power weapons during gameplay.

Initial Rush - I fail to see how that is a bad thing. Creates an initial conflict in the game.
New players lack of knowledge - This is obviously the main reason they are doing this. Could easily put a HUD notification for power weapons spawning so new players know when and where the weapons will spawn.
Focal Points - That's what static power weapon spawns do. They are placed accordingly on maps for this exact purpose.
Reduces Camping - Only if power weapons are poorly places.

Reduced Skill gap - This is obviously a huge detriment to having random locations. How could reduced skill gap every be a good thing though?

Random power weapon spawns for sure. Nothing is more of a slap to the face of the individual skill gap than that. Also, not digging instant spawns, could be awful on some smaller maps, we'll have to see on that one though.

I would rather the game didn't have AA's (at least ones you spawn with), but I like the ability to pick your starting weapon. That is a huge addition for matchmaking I think. Gets rid of the AR vs BR fiasco, and allowed for stuff like the BR and DMR to exist so that people can choose if they want burst fire or single shot.

kylej

Banned
Invisible people sprinting towards you to go for the double melee.

Yeah but you'll be able to see through walls and should have a sweet new perk that let's you put up a spy plane to show where invisible people are, then you just grab the randomly spawning rockets and wape him.

Wildcard power weapons?

Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?
Now that I think about it, it's the return of AAs. I hate jetpack. I hate camo (as an AA). Not only is it breaking the traditional rule of everyone starting off on the same footing, but 343 will have to take these into consideration when designing maps. They have to look out how these AAs will affect each map and will have to figure out of if any of them simply don't belong. But even the best diligence will give way to some mistakes. There will be AAs that appear on maps that simply should not belong, and given 343's management of Reach's playlists, they are neither willing, nor have the ability, to adjust AAs on a per-map basis (I'm looking at you, jetpack on Reflection) to the best extent.

I think AAs add more problems than they solve. Were it not for AAs, I'd probably be feeling better about most of these changes. Except sprint. That needs serious re-working, or else it needs to go.
HALO 3 IS TERRIBLE
Are you playing Team Slayer? That playlist is godly. <3

feel

Yeah but you'll be able to see through walls and should have a sweet new perk that let's you put up a spy plane to show where invisible people are, then you just grab the randomly spawning rockets and wape him.
This man is already adjusting to dat Halo evolution.

kylej

Banned
Naded's been playing Arena on his stream to try and get the jackpot. His daily average so far is 1695. Dear lord have mercy.

Top Bottom