• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

TheOddOne

You think they would replace the Halo announcer guy? It's a reboot after all and they switched up from Marty to a new sound, and we're suppose to buy this is all training, perhaps with can go with some sexy female voice like they do in the movies.

"Game Over" = "Simulation Over", and all that jazz. If "Infinity" is such a huge part of the game, they should go all out with the presentation that this is all a gigantic training academy of sorts.
Tell me more.

hgcu1.jpg
I think if Reach hadn't happened this would be more funny.

I REALLY like the idea of giving the player the sense that they are inside that Spartan armor, with little effects like subtle helmet effects. That is something I've long wanted out of Halo. That and more audio/visual effects that communicate the armor's bulk and strength.

I'd still love to see a shower of sparks as weapons tear into unshielded armor, and some way of communicating a difference to the player between shots deflected by your shields and ones soaked or deflected by your armor.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So I'm curious, what are the points that are most discomforting to people?

Wildcard power weapons?

Instant Spawns?

Custom loadouts?

If I had one that had me more worried that the rest, it would be the power weapons. That said, as long as map based weapons are still existent, and the weapons that spawn "randomly" aren't entirely random but rather where they spawn varies then I'm happy.

I can handle custom starting weapons, in fact I wanted it. Sort of. As long as we can't spawn with guns like snipers and shotguns then I am happy. If I were to take a guess, we will choose between weapons like the AR, BR, DMR, Carbine, etc. If they will be customizable I am not sure, it may be possible to do certain cosmetic upgrades.. maybe custom scopes, but I don't think it will go beyond that. Basically, it seems it will be Halos take on a system like Gears of War 3 mixed with Black Ops. In other words, I'm not too worried, I think it will be fine. If more details hit that aren't so positive, such as starting with snipers whenever you want, I will join the freak out list. For now, consider me intrigued and excited.

Also, I fully expect Barebones/Classic options to be built into the MP.

Yup, I fully expect a mode like this, maybe more basic than Reach's FF, but still a spiritual FF successor.

You cannot start with snipers whenever you want. (unless you are playing a sniper mode)
The weapon drops are not "random." They are telegraphed and in some ways, predictable. There is variation, however. Map control will still be key, but yes, changed. Custom games will be heavily customizeable, and initial playlists will be clean and focused. Players will not be presented with stacksof lists, but there will be variety for different tastes.

I REALLY like the idea of giving the player the sense that they are inside that Spartan armor, with little effects like subtle helmet effects. That is something I've long wanted out of Halo. That and more audio/visual effects that communicate the armor's bulk and strength.

I'd still love to see a shower of sparks as weapons tear into unshielded armor, and some way of communicating a difference to the player between shots deflected by your shields and ones soaked or deflected by your armor.

Too bad about that FF mode though, eh NullPointer?

Overdoziz

Banned
You cannot start with snipers whenever you want. (unless you are playing a sniper mode)
The weapon drops are not "random." They are telegraphed and in some ways, predictable. There is variation, however. Map control will still be key, but yes, changed. Custom games will be heavily customizeable, and initial playlists will be clean and focused. Players will not be presented with stacksof lists, but there will be variety for different tastes.
Do you unlock playlists as you rank up?

Everytime you post i get happier. I started off pumped heavy Customization is nice news and map control is also great

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just started watching the movie Hannah for the first time.

"Adapt or Die"

Thought it was funny.

Magni

Oh wow, what about using 1-50 ranks? Yes, that system isn't perfect, so what? Let's ruin the game instead? I can't wait for Frankie & co to clear up this random weapon spawn bs.

You dont understand that a game that is completely different out of the box from what becomes MLG settings hurts the community. Reach MLG and what the majority of the reach population plays is a problem for us because what the MLG community plays is so different from anything else in reach matchmaking. It is extremely difficult for new players to adventure into a competitive setting and its slowly killing competitive halo.

Exactly. I tried to say this a while back but you've put it much more nicely. The less competitive vanilla Halo gets, the harder it is for the competitive community to survive. A H1/H2 player could watch and play H1/H2 MLG rather easily. H3 was a bit tougher (different speed/shield/damage settings, custom, Forge(d) maps). Reach is just a completely different game in the MLG playlist.

I was hoping for H4 to reverse this downward trend, but I'm pessimistic at this point.

---

Great post by kylej earlier, forgot to quote it, though Hydra (I think it was) quoting Frankie's "keep calm and carry on" in response to it got my hopes a tiny bit back up.

I wonder what H5 would be like if 343i ever ends up hiring Walshy (or Juices!)

kylej

Banned

You need a job on Capitol Hill.

Hopefully we'll get this all clarified soon.

thisiswhymagazinessuck.jpg

Magni

As long as we can't spawn with guns like snipers and shotguns

What about shotguns? Am I reading too much into this?

edit: Interesting about the random spawn thingy, still vague (as kylej so crudely remarked haha), but I'll wait for more info of course. I wonder when the next vidoc will be released.

Too bad about that FF mode though, eh NullPointer?
They say the quickest way to a man's heart is through his ribcage, and when I read that Firefight was being discontinued I could feel a power armored 343 Industries fist ripping the still beating heart from my chest.

I've always loved Halo campaigns both solo and co-op, but it was Firefight, not competitive multiplayer that renewed the series in my eyes and gave it legs. And all the various Horde modes out there have become my gaming group's equivalent of Golf. It is "us" time, where we meet up after a long day of work and settle in for some therapeutic emergent battles and banter.

Here's hoping Spartan Ops is more than just a marketing/DLC/anti-used-game initiative.

Edit: Speaking of which, I just finished up a new custom Reach firefight mode, but with all the transition from Bungie.net to Waypoint I'm not sure how I can go about sharing it. Does waypoint host file shares now or are we in some limbo period right now? My Bungie.net file share is still up but it has old content.

Tawpgun

I just want to know how much warning we're going to get for the drops. If I'm on one side of the map and its just like

ROCKETS AND SNIPERS DROPPING ON THE OTHER SIDE WHERE YOU ARE WHERE THE ENEMY IS ALREADY CONVENIENTLY THERE. 5 SECONDS GO.

God so terrible.

I imagine the weapon loadout is similar to Gears 3, where you pick a few starter weapons, but all the power weapons like Sniper/Rockets/Shotgun/Sword/OMGSUPERAWESOMENEWWEAPON(aka shoot-through-walls-homing-laser) will be on the maps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I just want to know how much warning we're going to get for the drops. If I'm on one side of the map and its just like

ROCKETS AND SNIPERS DROPPING ON THE OTHER SIDE WHERE YOU ARE WHERE THE ENEMY IS ALREADY CONVENIENTLY THERE. 5 SECONDS GO.

God so terrible.

Hopefully it's like the cashier at Cluckin' Bell in GTA IV:

"Rockets in 10, muhfuckeeh."

Playing Halo 3 again. Play a couple good rounds of Team Slayer and want to try out maps that aren't Pit Narrows Construct. Go to Team Mythic, Population: 90.

bPf2a.jpg

Magni

Almost certainly.

The weapons we will be able to start with probably include AR, BR, DMR, Magnum, Plasma Pistol, Covenant Carbine, Assault Carbine (whatever that is).

That's what I thought too, I just think a little extra confirmation would do no harm in these troubled times :)

Quoting from the HBO thread mentioned earlier:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1133367

Well to start with you could bring the information about weapon spawns and timings much closer to the surface: Gears of War (last I checked) has a little overhead map that you can view before the start of a game which showed you key weapon locations. Halo could certainly use that verbatim - the Atlas facility in the Halo Waypoint app is certainly the start of that (although it is behind an awful pay-barrier).

I always thought it'd be a good idea to have an "Info" page for each playlist, with all the maps in that playlist. From there you would have the ability to launch a custom game on each map or watch a quick video (like what MLG shows before each round) that very briefly shows the power-weapons/power-ups spawn locations, as well as their respawn time, once again for each map in that particular playlist.

Thoughts?

Thank you for doing damage control Frank, please keep it coming, there's a lot of people right now that are just really concerned for their favorite franchise (like myself) and just need concrete re-assurance. I know you've said it's coming in the weeks and months, but I would say the way GI explained things could really damage the games perception in many fans eyes, not to mention the crowd effect of riling each other up.

Once again, thank you, and please keep the re-assurance coming.

Now that I think about it, it's the return of AAs. I hate jetpack. I hate camo (as an AA). Not only is it breaking the traditional rule of everyone starting off on the same footing, but 343 will have to take these into consideration when designing maps. They have to look out how these AAs will affect each map and will have to figure out of if any of them simply don't belong. But even the best diligence will give way to some mistakes. There will be AAs that appear on maps that simply should not belong, and given 343's management of Reach's playlists, they are neither willing, nor have the ability, to adjust AAs on a per-map basis (I'm looking at you, jetpack on Reflection) to the best extent.

I think AAs add more problems than they solve. Were it not for AAs, I'd probably be feeling better about most of these changes. Except sprint. That needs serious re-working, or else it needs to go.
I get that, though I can tolerate AAs, and I think I will enjoy them more now that sprint is standard. I'm not a huge fan of camo as an AA though, I would prefer that remained a pick up. Still, I can tolerate jetpack, and I imagine it has been revised from its iteration in Reach. Time will tell, but Im feeling good about things.

Awesome, that is what I figured, but the extra clarification is nice. Both of those things sound very good then, and I cant wait to hear and see more. =)

If I had to guess the jetpack is probably more of a booster pack than the Reach jetpack. You can probably get an extended jump with it but you can't hover.

I get that, though I can tolerate AAs, and I think I will enjoy them more now that sprint is standard. I'm not a huge fan of camo as an AA though, I would prefer that remained a pick up. Still, I can tolerate jetpack, and I imagine it has been revised from its iteration in Reach. Time will tell, but Im feeling good about things.

With sprint as a standard, and faster base movement, higher jump, general more agile coupled with weapons that kill a bit faster should make AA's an augmentation to your gameplay instead of dominating like Reach does.

At least it should.

JonCha

With sprint as a standard, and faster base movement, higher jump, general more agile coupled with weapons that kill a bit faster should make AA's an augmentation to your gameplay instead of dominating like Reach does.

At least it should.

It would be cool if something like camo could only be used for 30 seconds every two minutes, like a pick up. And once you start, you can't stop.

At least it should.

I remember bringing up that point last night. I think the reason why equipment in Halo 3 didn't bother me but AAs in Reach did was because in Reach you were slower and less agile, thus letting the AA dominate.

Frank,

Please confirm for us that the drop-in, drop-out system is completely optional and we will not have to join in-progress games involuntarily. This is one of the key things that kept me coming back to Halo, the fact that the games always started at zero-zero, it's an imperative part of the game for many people.

I remember bringing up that point last night. I think the reason why equipment in Halo 3 didn't bother me but AAs in Reach did was because in Reach you were slower and less agile, thus letting the AA dominate.

I've been saying this since Reach came out. If it had Halo 2 movement and no bloom people would like it a lot more.

Top Bottom