• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow looks like the WiiU has a great launch line up! Not long now guys!

Not too much longer now! You'll only be a Little Older Man by the time they come out!

Seriously though, idk how people are this hyped over what was shown. Honeymoon phase?

I mean, they showed a Yoshi Yarn game that looks like it'll play just as boring as Kirby, a Zelda remake that's been in HD for a while now which I'm sure they'll charge you $60 for, a new Zelda game that is obviously far off that everyone knew had to be in development, a new Mario 3D/Kart game that everyone knew had to be in development, updates to the Miiverse that are long overdue and still lagging behind the competition.. The list goes on.

I'm just a "real" Nintendo fan ;'[

DaBoss

Remember everyone, this direct was a special direct, so keep your expectations in check for the next direct.

lol this never gonna happen

Crom

Not too much longer now! You'll only be a Little Older Man by the time they come out!

Seriously though, idk how people are this hyped over what was shown. Honeymoon phase?

I mean, they showed a Yoshi Yarn game that looks like it'll play just as boring as Kirby, a Zelda remake that's been in HD for a while now which I'm sure they'll charge you $60 for, a new Zelda game that is obviously far off that everyone knew had to be in development, a new Mario 3D/Kart game that everyone knew had to be in development, updates to the Miiverse that are long overdue and still lagging behind the competition.. The list goes on.

You sound like a pleasant person.....I hope someone in your household has hidden all the razor blades

Fredrik

M9xUOfL.jpg

IaorVPN.jpg

jjtWSKS.jpg

f3Zxmtc.jpg

wqzAPV0.jpg

m1wwxFE.jpg

7TCZMPH.jpg

my prayers have been answered
o_O
THIS is the way to make an HD remake!
What dev team is making it?

Linkhero1

Well they did say a 3rd party direct would come right? I'm not expecting a bunch of megatons, but I do suspect Japanese support is going to be better than it looks now (like with today's news I feel pretty good about Persona 5 coming alongside PS3).

Was this recently? If so, I hope it's some time soon.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Was this recently? If so, I hope it's some time soon.

I haven't been able to watch it yet, but apparently Iwata said at the end of today's video they are looking at doing Directs for 3rd party games and of course for the 3DS.

GCX

o_O
THIS is the way to make an HD remake!
What dev team is making it?
According to Aonuma WWHD was born when the Zelda team revisited old graphic styles when they were searching a visual look for the next Zelda.

Could be that the actual work is outsourced somewhere like with OOT 3D though.

Thraktor

I'd like to preface this post by reminding people that I've been posting here in a low-key fashion for over eight years now, and I like to think that I've thoughtfully contributed to the debate, and avoided brash, self-serving posts during that time. That said, after having just gotten home from work and gone through the Nintendo Direct, I just can't help myself from posting the following:

ND said:
23:09 Firmware updates in spring and summer. Speeding up launching software, menu return.
ND said:
TVii coming soon in Europe
Thraktor (yesterday) said:
1. Firmware update: improves performance, [...] , TVii for UK.

Called it.

ND said:
Wii U Virtual Console with spring firmware update.
6. Some VC details, but still a month or two away.

Called it.

ND said:
Smash Bros. new info? Sakurai will show screens at E3. Please wait!
4. They'll mention next Smash Bros, but no footage (at best we'll get the name).

Called it.

ND said:
23:24 Wii U 3D Mario under development by Galaxy team!
EAD Tokyo 2: 3D Mario [Wii U] (2013/2014)
they could announce an EAD Tokyo Wii U game in less than 24 hours

Called it.

ND said:
Mario Kart Wii U!
EAD Kyoto 1: Mario Kart [Wii U] (2013/2014)

Called it.

ND said:
23:26 Unannounced, but expected title: Yoshi game from Kirby team!
2D Yoshi game
Good-Feel: Yoshi Platformer [Wii U] (2013)

Called it.

ND said:
23:27 Atlus collaboration title trailer now. Shin Megami Tensei meets Fire Emblem.
3. Unexpected third-party title.

Called it.

ND said:
23:31 Zelda Wii U screenshot: Windfall Island from Wind Waker remake in HD! Wind Waker HD remake and new Zelda title both under development. WW: graphic refresh, game tuning, off-screen play, Miiverse integration. Due by this fall.
While regular VC games are effectively ROM-dumps, my thought for HD versions would be to treat them as ports, [...] with added features taking advantage of the Wii U pad and other Wii U features (the obvious example would be Zelda games with the inventory and soforth on the touchscreen).
[...]
Zelda: The Wind Waker
The obvious one. The game looks great on Dolphin, but it'd be so much nicer to have an official, glitch-free HD version of the game to play on a big-screen TV.
Extra features: Inventory, maps and so-forth on the touchscreen. Also, touchscreen Tingle Tuner!
Thraktor (10th Sept) said:
Wind Waker HD

Called it.

ND said:
23:33 Monolith Soft game trailer now. Monolith Soft game trailer ends with a big, red X. Online?!
Actually, I posted it in the other thread, but I do think that a reveal of Monolith's Wii U project is reasonably likely. For one, they already mentioned it during one of the December NDs, which would be odd if they didn't plan to show it off any time soon, and Monolith have been working on it for 2 and a half years by now, so a release this summer in Japan makes sense, which would point to an unveiling around now.
2. In-game trailer for Monolith's Wii U game.
Monolith Tokyo: Xeno RPG [Wii U] (2013)

Called it.

As such, we'll probably get a couple of reveals in a Nintendo Direct soon enough (possibly even the 8th). Monolith's Wii U project seems a reasonable possibility, as Iwata already mentioned it in a ND, and I'd expect it to come out in 2013 in Japan. A mainline Pokemon announcement is also very likely if it is being released in 2013. Whatever Good Feel and Monster are working on also seem decent bets. We won't get a blowout, though, just a couple of announcements every few months as Nintendo Directs roll by.

Motherfucking called it, bitches!

Thraktor out!

mic_drop.gif

ChaosXVI

It isn't too ridiculous to assume that the work of HD-izing the graphics of this has been outsourced to Grezzo, they did a pretty great job with OoT3D and all.

Coolwhip

Banned
According to Aonuma WWHD was born when the Zelda team revisited old graphic styles when they were searching a visual look for the next Zelda.

Could be that the actual work is outsourced somewhere like with OOT 3D though.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a project for new people at Nintendo.

Linkhero1

I haven't been able to watch it yet, but apparently Iwata said at the end of today's video they are looking at doing Directs for 3rd party games and of course for the 3DS.

I think I remember that part. I think he was just referencing future announcements with nothing specific.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Today's Nintendo Direct has been very bad for the productivity of my employer's worker(s).

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
So what are the chances now that Retro is working on Donkey Kong or Metroid?

wiiu-2.jpg

I'm surprised no one else is paying attention to the news revealed here that Nintendo now has Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise working for them as beta testers.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think the Megaton is that you'll be able to buy Super Metroid for 30 cents.

I want to curl up with my gamepad and play it in bed...

Def Jukie

So happy they finally announced some future projects. I'm happy with my Wii U purchase and knew that good software would be coming in the future but it's nice to hear exactly what's being worked on. And we got the Monolith Soft and Shin Megami/Fire Emblem teasers in the US. Hell yeah! No more of this will they localize or not business.

Clefargle

This Direct is absolutely laughable.
Will it be the day Nintendo fans turn their back for good. Tell me.

Murrah said:
I don't know why I even read these threads anymore, y'all are way too optimistic about cool shit popping off/

Zeer0id said:
i think we're due for some disappointment

evilromero said:
I'm skeptical we'll see anything other than Pikmin 3, Game & Wario and Lego City. When was the last night Nintendo actually delivered on the hype?
I know never to get my hopes up for a Direct. It'll be Nintendo: We Teach U Maths or some shit.

TheCongressman1 said:
That's the point. They never do what they say.

Nope, wrong...

AzaK

I am interested in them hurrying up and telling us about these "Third Party Partnerships" that Iwata said they'd talk about. From the outside I can't really see any.

Persona86

Banned
My thoughts exactly. Part of what made XBC look so great was the amazing use of color. This looks fantastic of course, but more color would be nice.

Yeah even thou older games have worse graphics, there's usually a nice feeling of clarity to them.

This new game looks like your looking at an amazing world while wearing steamy glasses haha.

Daschysta

A triple A rpg from the team that made the best JRPG in years isn't worth the hullabaloo?

We don't know anything about the difficulty of the Yoshi Game. Yoshi's Island had many fabric like textures too and that game was perfect.

Pikmin 3 looking awesome isn't worth getting excited for?

Bayonetta 2 isn't a big deal anymore?

Wonderful 101, a new original IP with one of the greatest dev teams in the world behind it isn't exciting?

You sound pretty jaded, I'm sorry.

Because it's worth getting hyped over.

Thoraxes

Games that I want to buy are happening and I will buy them because they are fun. It's not even about being a fan, it's about the principle that I play video games I like, therefore I am hyped as all fuck because I just like video games!

Metallix87

Please, tell us how you REALLY feel.

Meelow

Banned
So I wasn't able to watch this live with GAF but I did watch this live for the first time without knowing any information that was announced so is it ok if I say everything I would of said?

And nobody is hyped for Wii Party sequel, I guess I must be the only one who enjoyed it.
As Iwata said (paraphrasing): " I know most of our fans already expected Nintendo to do updates like these" then he revealed their hardcore titles.
I won't mind the game, just more exciting for the games focused on the hardcore.
So I wasn't able to watch this live with GAF but I did watch this live for the first time without knowing any information that was announced so is it ok if I say everything I would of said?
Just do it, will probs get more talked about then when it was live on GAF every post was pretty much a blur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom