• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Channel Presents Gravity Falls |OT| Awesome new animated show

Status
Not open for further replies.
expecting the pig to voiced by morgan freeman when he's explaining things.

Great, now Im hearing this:

ceea688be0f2e561f7b877f6835cf1f3.jpg

"I'll help you this one time. But consider this my resignation. As long as this machine is at Wayne Enterprises, I won't be...."

NEO0MJ

I wouldn't be surprised if the apocalypse that Grunkle Stan mentioned last episode happened.

It just occurred to me that he could have meant the awakening of the giant time traveling baby. It was mentioned in the documents Dipper and Mabel found that it could awaken when the ice caps melt, which has already happened.

Was about to post. Saw the commercial on TV just now

My apologizes, boss. Just got insomnia today...

At least DC is advertising the new episode...remember they put up the trailer for Boyz Crazy only a few days away from airing...

EDIT: also, I posted this earlier:

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/gravity-falls-dreamscaperers/EP015662900020?aid=zap2it

They're updated, saying the next episode after this, "Dreamscaperers" airs 7/12/13. So, hopefully, no more delays...

Hopes for a FFVII Lifestream style sequence in episode above...

Nudull

Banned
I want to get into this show, but DVD/blu news seem to be nonexistent, and I fear I'll be too far behind to catch up. :c

FillerB

I want to get into this show, but DVD/blu news seem to be nonexistent, and I fear I'll be too far behind to catch up. :c

There is no overlapping plot so it doesn't really matter where you start outside missing maybe one or two callbacks or brick jokes.

Get it on iTunes! They even have it in HD.

There is no overlapping plot so it doesn't really matter where you start outside missing maybe one or two callbacks or brick jokes.

That isn't true at all. There's a huge overlapping plot. It's not like each episode ends on a cliffhanger so they all tie directly into each other, but there is absolutely a running plot through the season and certain episodes 'need' to be watched in order (ie, everything leading up to the Time Traveler's Pig).

FillerB

That isn't true at all. There's a huge overlapping plot. It's not like each episode ends on a cliffhanger so they all tie directly into each other, but there is absolutely a running plot through the season and certain episodes 'need' to be watched in order (ie, everything leading up to the Time Traveler's Pig).

Sorry what? Yes, there is character development. Yes, there are some minor running plots. But there is nothing that keeps you from just jumping in anywhere you want and completely missing out on what is going on.

Sorry what? Yes, there is character development. Yes, there are some minor running plots. But there is nothing that keeps you from just jumping in anywhere you want and completely missing out on what is going on.

Ehhh sorta, but we may just watch shows differently then. If it's a show like Doctor Who, there are "gateway drug" episodes that can be watched out of context to hook you on the show's concept, but once I'm hooked I need to watch it from the start so that I fully understand where the story is going and who the characters are/what their stories are and where they're going.

Yeah there are a bunch of Gravity Falls episodes that stand on their own and you don't have to have seen anything prior, just like there are Monster Of The Week episodes of X-Files and Fringe and Supernatural that don't need to be watched in the context of the main storyline, but there are also episodes that require you to have seen previous episodes to get what's happening with the story. Watching Time Traveler's pig out of order would jack me up, but watching Double Dipper first wouldn't make any difference.

It's still early in the series so it's not that heavy into it's own lore by I think that'll change by the season finale. There are of course subtle little nods and references for people watching in order, yes, but there's clearly a lot of stuff building that wouldn't make sense without having seen things in order. (IE
if the two Dipper clones ever show up again, and someone watched that without seeing Double Dipper first, they'd be like Uhhh? Same with any future episodes that may feature the time traveler, the Space Baby, the secret President, the other book(s) or continue the thread of Young Grunkle Stan and what he's hiding.
)

I guess, really, for anyone wanting to jump in, you can start almost anywhere BUT Time Traveler's Pig. That's the worst one to watch out of context because it's a pivotal part of the main Gravity Falls story with what it reveals and what it sets up.

The heart of Gravity Falls is that it's a mystery show, and the first season is setting up a lot of different mystery plot lines, so it'll become more difficult to just drop in once things get going. In that respect it's a lot like Fringe - the first season can be watched in basically any order but once the season 1 finale happens it lays out the story for the whole show and the narrative becomes much more focused and harder to just pick up from anywhere. IMO, of course, I know there are plenty of people who don't care and will just pick up a show from any episode or skip around too.

Notes on the new episode (marked for spoilers):

1. The commercial guy is supposed to be a play on
Rob Renzetti (GF writer and creator of My Life as a Teenage Robot), right?

2. "Nice" to see that Mabel
talks shit about Dipper (Wendy-eccentric wise) when he's not around, yet he's the first to assemble the troops "for Mabel..." without her feeling a bit guilty. I said it before and I'll say it again:
http://media.tumblr.com/1a6cc47bb8220be1b2784a398f394dbc/tumblr_inline_ml8mg1Wsan1qz4rgp.png

3. Speaking of, man, Dipper,
you're just pissing everyone off lately, huh?

Ripped
Grunkle Stan is best Grunkle Stan. Anyone else notice
the different tattoo? It has a cryptogram according to tumblr.
CODE = LIES

5. Guessing the
unawakened dinosaurs
might join the ranks of the GF Sinister Six/Twelve?

6. No
Wendy
in this episode, so probably saving for the season finale, or the next to last one, "Dreamscaperers" in 2-3 weeks. (come on, FF7-esque Lifestream sequence!)

FillerB

Bit late with my response, some Animal Crossing stuff kept me distracted.

The heart of Gravity Falls is that it's a mystery show, and the first season is setting up a lot of different mystery plot lines, so it'll become more difficult to just drop in once things get going. In that respect it's a lot like Fringe - the first season can be watched in basically any order but once the season 1 finale happens it lays out the story for the whole show and the narrative becomes much more focused and harder to just pick up from anywhere. IMO, of course, I know there are plenty of people who don't care and will just pick up a show from any episode or skip around too.

That's true I suppose. It's just that I don't feel that there have been any "YOU MUST SEE THIS FIRST"-points yet. But as you say, we probably just watch it differently.

Ripped
Grunkle Stan is best Grunkle Stan. Anyone else notice
the different tattoo? It has a cryptogram according to tumblr.
CODE = LIES

Heck yes. Spoiler for new episode.

Tizoc

Land before Swine is perhaps the BEST episode so far, and man this show gets away with a lot of stuff I never expect to see in a kid's show (the cops intimacy being one of them...and I actually like it lol)

BROS BEFORE DINOS!
WHERE MA GIFS AT?

Am I just consistently looking in the wrong place for the new episodes on VOD? I'm a TWC subscriber but don't seem to get the episodes early at all. Is it limited to certain markets?

Hey, GF-GAF,

It's time for another round of good news, bad news!
Source: http://www.nickandmore.com/2013/06/27/disney-channel-july-2013-programming-highlights/

Good news:

July 12:

synopsis for Gravity Falls “Dreamscaperers”
Dipper, Mabel and Soos must travel through Grunkle Stan’s mind to defeat a tricky dream demon summoned by Lil Gideon.

My thoughts:
Part of me is happy cause this means they’re saving the resolution with Dipper and Wendy for the finale (hopefully)…
If they’re in each others dream, maybe this is how Gideon learns Dipper’s greatest secret…
I’m just expecting something epic (thats why I was hoping her delay into the finale; no quick fix), I mean like, Venture Bros. epic…

Bad news:

According to the same press release, that's it for GF in July.

(Don't drag the finale out, please!)

so, a few things:

Also, cause I was really bored, a few gifs for you guys:

http://media.tumblr.com/d23805cb46c1e2920bfae0d2be9cfb38/tumblr_inline_mo4z77DvZU1qz4rgp.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/689fe3a5fbd5c9cce2e68340bfa5f079/tumblr_inline_mo4z8swkCX1qz4rgp.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/3e0868bee048b26773143ff1114af1d0/tumblr_inline_mo4zfc3aPm1qz4rgp.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/b683961ab1e766aa5dcd3b4d9fda0b27/tumblr_inline_mo4zizleBN1qz4rgp.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/4a4787fa1bd5a02e2e7175b54b59506b/tumblr_inline_mo4zku4swd1qz4rgp.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/2812bcc5ee3c2657d53474a77a14d16d/tumblr_inline_mo4zmwRAQR1qz4rgp.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iiYosK1bNwjg5.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/acfa3addf67eea6e67495f54ffcde34f/tumblr_inline_mo521ze5It1qz4rgp.gif[IMG]

Major kudos if you're able to use a Wendy/Dipper laughing (or moneyhats) one as FIRST POST under a BS e3 thread this week![/QUOTE]

Where are these from? I don't think I've seen these scenes in an episode.

Where are these from? I don't think I've seen these scenes in an episode.

No prob,

1. Deep End - Wendy is suggesting to Dipper that they abuse their powers as lifeguards (note the eyebrow...)
2. Headhunters - Both kids are snickering because Stan bribed them both to work the table for his wax statue event (made for e3 moneyhats...)
3. Boyz Crazy - Wendy and Dipper doing voice overs for the Mystery Shack's security cameras...(made this for e3 mockery, actually got one, see above)
4. Inconviencing - Soos is hesitant about Wendy bringing the twins to her secret spot on the roof (she tries a Jedi Mind Trick to freak him out...)
5. Boyz Crazy - Wendy and Dipper dying laughing at Mabel's love of a washed up boy brand (reserved for e3 mockery as well)
6. Deep End - Wendy gives an encouraging thumbs up to Dipper, who is being grilled by the insane head lifeguard, Mr. Poolcheck.
7. Irrational Treasure - Dipper leads Mabel through an Indiana Jones-esque dart room trap.
8. Fight Fighters - Dipper frets about Robbie's challenge, noting his "noodle arms." (another Adventure Time reference, besides Wendy's lifeguard design)

Kinda sad I know these by heart, but it is what it is. To be honest, created these myself 'cause I haven't seen them anywhere else. If GF has done one thing for me, it forced me to learn Photoshop...

New trailer up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqpGv_ElSIc

Spoilers!

Gideon returns!
The Pryamid Guy, Bill makes an appearance!
Mabel's dream guys!
Note the door that says "Dipper's Memories...". Will my predictions come true? And why does he have a hole in his chest? Maybe "his heart was torn out?"

Holding "Steven Colbert, 'Called it!'" gif in the ready!

My thoughts on Land before Swine
Bros before dinos
You can't just make that stuff up. Really solid episode, probably one of the best of the season. Dipper has a Wendy pillow, the (10) baby or pig carrier infomercial, Stan's lies and then complete awesomeness giving the dino a beat down, and the ending scene during the credits where Stan, Waddles, and Mabel bond were all great.
tumblr_moufzk3umM1r2u7p0o1_500.gif

Bros before dinos
Friend, try to use spoilers for the first week or so an episode airs please...

EDIT: Thanks for the quick edit! I know it's a pain, between the people who see it on demand, then the people who watch the Friday airing, then the Saturday Morning showing...still, we appreciate it!

Anyone decode the number sequence in the end credits?

"9-20-23-15-18-11-19-6-15-18-16-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-7-19!"

"It works for piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigs!"

As long as it isn't like the Adventure Time game (which was charming but not more than that) I'm all for it. A straight up Point & Click adventure would be awesome though unlikely.

If I was to call it here and now, I'd say it'd be either in the vain of Maniac Mansion (fitting your point and click theory) or Lost Vikings, where you switch between the twins and an ever changing third party (Soos, Grunkle Stan, Wendy, etc).

If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about the AT game? It was an easier Zelda II, which I dug greatly. Then again, I only got for $10, rather than $40, so maybe that's why...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom