• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

I'm working on the Update now actually. I think I've nailed the corrupt save issue, the crashing between maps is a memory leak that I'm tackling now. Both of these have been really tough to debug :p Thanks for your patience.

In other news, the post mortem has been submitted, and should hopefully be up next week!

Awesome to both things!

Just echoing that this is a great read; forwarded it to a few friends. Also snapped up the Silva book off Ebay for a few bucks because it piqued my interest. :)

Noogy

Fantastic.
Thank you so much Dean.

Though I feel now far more horrible I didn't get something good up on Reddit for you at the time.

Haha, no it's fine, you were a great help :) Yeah, not having much time to do marketing hurt, but at least I shipped a game :) If you had asked me if I'd be doing that four years ago I'd say you were nuts!

Very glad to finally get the Postmortem up. Now to wrap up the patch and.... other announcements!

Just echoing that this is a great read; forwarded it to a few friends. Also snapped up the Silva book off Ebay for a few bucks because it piqued my interest. :)

Yeah, James' book was 'instrumental' in wrapping my head around certain concepts. And he and I became very good friends through all this, which has been one of my greatest thrills. Although the book was written for XNA 2.0, most of the concepts apply and it's not a 'huge' task to get it working in 4.0. In fact, if you look at some of my Postmortem screens you can see how close I stuck to his level editor.

Building Dust:AET was actually like building five games at once... the core game, a map editor, character editor, navigation editor, and dialogue tree editor. Now that all those are done, I do hope that future productions happen a bit faster.

Fjordson

Superb read there, Noogy.

And a reminder that this is easily in my personal top five games this year. Gonna have to do a second playthrough sometime over the holidays.

RedSwirl

So let's be straight here: This isn't coming to other platforms right?

I don't want this to be like the third time I've bought a game on XBLA only for it to come out on Steam six months later.

Noogy

So let's be straight here: This isn't coming to other platforms right?

I don't want this to be like the third time I've bought a game on XBLA only for it to come out on Steam six months later.

I'll be straight with you... I am looking at other platforms. I just can't announce anything yet.

In other news, Dust:AET somehow managed a nomination for best indie game! I'm against STIFF and well-deserving competition, but it's just an honor to be recognized: http://www.spike.com/events/video-game-awards-2012-nominees/voting/best-independent-game

zulux21

No problem, I'm hoping to make an announcement soon.

first off congrats on the VGA nomination. Personally I would pick Dust over Journey, but I also adore the genre Dust is.

Second assuming by you are hoping to make an announcement meaning there will be one (I would assume if you weren't planing on it you would have just said no in response) this is awesome news. I can't wait to bully all of my friends into buying it/ forcing it down their throats as a gift and guilt them into playing it.... not that it should require that for most of my friends (most were interested in it just didn't own a 360)... but still :p

I am also hoping for a few surprises with that announcement as
Ironic that I can't watch an awards show that my game is a finalist in because I'm too busy working on said game.
gives me hope you are doing something extra to the game besides working on a patch... of course I could just be reading to much into that. (nor are any surprises necessary)

Ricker

Just got the game on the 360,dont forget its half priced just for 2 days I think...loving it so far...I am guessing those small crouching parts I will get to come back later to crawl in there?

Noogy

Just got the game on the 360,dont forget its half priced just for 2 days I think...loving it so far...I am guessing those small crouching parts I will get to come back later to crawl in there?

Yep, don't stress about missing stuff along the way, you can always return later.

Hey Noogy, I have purchased your game and it is just...magical.
Dust: An Elysian Tail is not only one of the most beautiful 2D games I have seen but it also has incredible responsive controls.

I wish you all the best and I hope to see more from you in the future!

The creator has expressed interest in a PC version, and I recall him posting about wanting to make an announcement on that soon.

EDIT: Of course it was on the same page.

I was hoping he said definitively whether one was coming out by now since that was weeks ago. Really don't want to buy it twice if it's coming to steam or something.

Yanksfan

Hot damn, this game is awesome. I am just starting out, but I am impressed with the beautiful art style, cool music, fun combat and great sense of progression. This is the most impressed I have been with the start of a game probably all year.

The only thing I can't seem to get a handle on is when my energy is used up. I thought the white whispy bar (for lack of a better description) is my gauge, yet I will start taking damage from doing a Dust Storm combo for too long even when its full. Yet I can't see any other indicator going down either. I know that white bar goes down slightly when I do the dash move (first skill found), so that has to be the right bar.

Noogy

Hot damn, this game is awesome. I am just starting out, but I am impressed with the beautiful art style, cool music, fun combat and great sense of progression. This is the most impressed I have been with the start of a game probably all year.

The only thing I can't seem to get a handle on is when my energy is used up. I thought the white whispy bar (for lack of a better description) is my gauge, yet I will start taking damage from doing a Dust Storm combo for too long even when its full. Yet I can't see any other indicator going down either. I know that white bar goes down slightly when I do the dash move (first skill found), so that has to be the right bar.

Glad you are enjoying it :) The Energy bar is used up when you evade, and when Fidget throws out a projectile (with B). Holding Y doesn't affect Energy at all, but if you hold it too long you'll knock yourself out.

Basically... tap B, Hold Y, and melee enemies to recharge so you can tap B again.

Yanksfan

Glad you are enjoying it :) The Energy bar is used up when you evade, and when Fidget throws out a projectile (with B). Holding Y doesn't affect Energy at all, but if you hold it too long you'll knock yourself out.

Basically... tap B, Hold Y, and melee enemies to recharge so you can tap B again.

Thanks, definitely got the hang of it better when I went back to the game. Got to the part in the beginning where
you fight giants for the first time to save a husband/wife
. I was able to follow your directive and whoop it up on them.

I finally reached the village and received my first side quests. I think I shall call upon the blacksmith first, since I have numerous blueprints to look over.

Grief.exe

I'll be straight with you... I am looking at other platforms. I just can't announce anything yet.

So you're telling me there is a chance?

Just found out about this game today watching Giant Bomb's top ten games of the year.

It looks amazing and I hope to play it eventually, I only have a PC though and I will pick it up when/if it comes to the platform.

MrDaravon

Picked this up from the sale last week. Is it a known issue getting kicked to dashboard for no reason? It did it to me right after a boss fight, and it put me just far enough back to my last save where it killed my momentum and I put it down for the night.

Yanksfan

Picked this up from the sale last week. Is it a known issue getting kicked to dashboard for no reason? It did it to me right after a boss fight, and it put me just far enough back to my last save where it killed my momentum and I put it down for the night.

Not that I am aware of. I have played about four or five different sessions now and have not had that happen to me one time.

Pretty certain if you skim back when it first hit you will see a good number of people talking about being booted to the dashboard at least once and/or having a hard lock on the system. I recall having both happen at least once. I MIGHT have been booted to the dashboard twice, though I can't remember well enough now.

Noogy may know what causes it now and can give advice on how to limit the occurrence but from the conversations in the thread it doesn't seem there's any particular spot that does it but one of the issues (hard locks or booting to dashboard) happens very commonly when speed running the game. So perhaps going through areas too quickly when exploring can cause issues?

Regardless, there's enough saves around that you rarely lose out on much and it's a great game so even a small set-back shouldn't be too bad.

Ricker

The game hard locked my 360 only once so far,very early on, but its been pretty stable since ...just got to chapter 3,great game,although some parts in Mudpot where a little frustrating/annoying because of the way Dust jumps and lands...still missing one black sheep in there but I dont think I will go back...is it normal to still not have anything to climb those green vines yet? got hard all of a sudden in chapter 3,I am level 17 and dying in one area,the ennemy always evades my attack and he keeps spawning zombie type creatures...not sure what to do there,so I think I will go back to the eastern part of the map,there is 3 sidequests I didn't do down there,I didn't even enter the area,still says new on that teleport map with the red dots...

The game hard locked my 360 only once so far,very early on, but its been pretty stable since ...just got to chapter 3,great game,although some parts in Mudpot where a little frustrating/annoying because of the way Dust jumps and lands...still missing one black sheep in there but I dont think I will go back...is it normal to still not have anything to climb those green vines yet? got hard all of a sudden in chapter 3,I am level 17 and dying in one area,the ennemy always evades my attack and he keeps spawning zombie type creatures...not sure what to do there,so I think I will go back to the eastern part of the map,there is 3 sidequests I didnt do down there,I didn't even enter the area,still says new on that teleport map with the red dots...

The floating summoner fellows can be rough depending on how you upgraded. I always focused on magic damage stuff, which is what you need to kill them from what I remember, so it was always fairly easy to shoot out with Fidget and then jump and spin back and forth around those guys. They'd go down quite quickly. And this was on the hardest difficulty so if you're playing on something easier they should go down fairly quickly in that situation. I also explored a ton so I likely leveled up perhaps a bit more than necessary by the time I reached them.

If your magic is low currently then perhaps work on those sidequests and find that last sheep. By then hopefully you can put a couple more points into magic and be good to go from there. I found magic and defense my priorities as I got further in the game. Those two always got capped and HP and attack were what capped my upgrading.

Noogy

Pretty certain if you skim back when it first hit you will see a good number of people talking about being booted to the dashboard at least once and/or having a hard lock on the system. I recall having both happen at least once. I MIGHT have been booted to the dashboard twice, though I can't remember well enough now.

Noogy may know what causes it now and can give advice on how to limit the occurrence but from the conversations in the thread it doesn't seem there's any particular spot that does it but one of the issues (hard locks or booting to dashboard) happens very commonly when speed running the game. So perhaps going through areas too quickly when exploring can cause issues?

Regardless, there's enough saves around that you rarely lose out on much and it's a great game so even a small set-back shouldn't be too bad.

I do have a Title Update coming out soon that should address all of these. There was an extremely hard-to-debug issue that would occur when loading between maps, which was more noticable while attemping speed-runs. It was related to how quickly different 360s would access data, and since I do a ton of multithreading it was a nightmare to debug, but I feel really strongly that the update should help.

Also, there is a VERY rare but unfortunate issue of the game resetting stats immediately after loading, which would cause problems the next time the game saved. I hate to say that you should be doing manual saves along with the autosave, but it's probably a good idea just to be on the safe side. Again, this has been resolved in the upcoming Title Update, which I'm hoping to have out over the next month. I'll also put up 'patch notes' to cover all the fixes and tweaks.

Thanks everyone for your patience regarding all this, and I deeply appreciate you playing the game ;)

Ricker

The floating summoner fellows can be rough depending on how you upgraded. I always focused on magic damage stuff, which is what you need to kill them from what I remember, so it was always fairly easy to shoot out with Fidget and then jump and spin back and forth around those guys. They'd go down quite quickly. And this was on the hardest difficulty so if you're playing on something easier they should go down fairly quickly in that situation. I also explored a ton so I likely leveled up perhaps a bit more than necessary by the time I reached them.

If your magic is low currently then perhaps work on those sidequests and find that last sheep. By then hopefully you can put a couple more points into magic and be good to go from there. I found magic and defense my priorities as I got further in the game. Those two always got capped and HP and attack were what capped my upgrading.

Thanks for the tips...yeah I didn't put anything on Fidget until I had to,I went attack and defense first,then the 3rd one...like I said it's sidequest time now and I will put some points in Fidget...I noticed her electricity attack was doing a bit of damage on the summoner but not enough to kill him fast enough so the whole area was filled with those skinny zombie type creature and the exploding ones can be annoying hehe...

Oh and where is the blacksmith again? I cant seem to find him anymore...somewhere in the Glades or between there and Aurora?

Thanks for the tips...yeah I didn't put anything on Fidget until I had to,I went attack and defense first,then the 3rd one...like I said it's sidequest time now and I will put some points in Fidget...I noticed her electricity attack was doing a bit of damage on the summoner but not enough to kill him fast enough so the whole area was filled with those skinny zombie type creature and the exploding ones can be annoying hehe...

Oh and where is the blacksmith again? I cant seem to find him anymore...somewhere in the Glades or between there and Aurora?

The Blacksmith is on the top of the area on the far-right of the map, I believe. I think the name was Archer's Pass or something like that? Don't recall names too well but it's a large vertical-centric area that also features large statue ruins and such as you climb upwards through the place.

If you've already met the blacksmith once I thought you should always be able to craft by just doing it through the menu. Or is there some quest you have to do for her first?

Ricker

The Blacksmith is on the top of the area on the far-right of the map, I believe. I think the name was Archer's Pass or something like that? Don't recall names too well but it's a large vertical-centric area that also features large statue ruins and such as you climb upwards through the place.

If you've already met the blacksmith once I thought you should always be able to craft by just doing it through the menu. Or is there some quest you have to do for her first?

You are right,I found her in Archer's pass...guess I have to do chapter 3 now because I can't do anything in Hidden Cove and the new area that opened after doing a sidequest in Aurora...missing a yellow stone and whatever you get to climb those vines.

MrDaravon

Wow, it kind of sucks that a patch is coming out within the next month which is way past release and probably past when the majority of players will ever play the game -_-.

I haven't had any more dashboard issues (although I looked around after I posted that and it seems like that was a semi-common complaint at launch), but on my last two major plot sequences
whatever dialogue occurred after you fought the Lady and the dialogue you get when talking to Cora in the Meadow
when the first line of dialogue comes up it freezes in the middle of the screen (the dialogue text), the character portraits don't appear, and it just doesn't advance. It doesn't freeze the game as I can still pause, pull up the Guide, etc. Toggling the auto-advance dialogue option didn't fix it either time, but the Skip option did, which has had the side effect of me having no idea what is going on right now in the game. Not the biggest deal in the world, but annoying.

Still really enjoying the game overall though.

Wow, it kind of sucks that a patch is coming out within the next month which is way past release and probably past when the majority of players will ever play the game -_-.

I haven't had any more dashboard issues (although I looked around after I posted that and it seems like that was a semi-common complaint at launch), but on my last two major plot sequences
whatever dialogue occurred after you fought the Lady and the dialogue you get when talking to Cora in the Meadow
when the first line of dialogue comes up it freezes in the middle of the screen (the dialogue text), the character portraits don't appear, and it just doesn't advance. It doesn't freeze the game as I can still pause, pull up the Guide, etc. Toggling the auto-advance dialogue option didn't fix it either time, but the Skip option did, which has had the side effect of me having no idea what is going on right now in the game. Not the biggest deal in the world, but annoying.

Still really enjoying the game overall though.

Your spoilered glitch looked really familiar and went back to my first post and it looks like I ran into the first text freeze that you did as well. I imagine that'll be part of the upcoming patch as well? Not sure if that's a simple fix.

Ricker

Guess I was lucky,I had no problem at that part of the fight...used a resurrect stone there though hehe...finally found the vine climbing thing,now a few of the sidequest section of the select area map are 100%...found the last sheep also but for the life of me,I cant find any snowflakes and those red spores...there is an area that I see some on the ground I think but I can't pick them up or anything...also I know why I couldn't kill those summoners fast enough,I wasn't using the Dust Storm with Fidget right,dumb me lol..now it should go better...game is awesome I hope we get a sequel...

Guess I was lucky,I had no problem at that part of the fight...used a resurrect stone there though hehe...finally found the vine climbing thing,now a few of the sidequest section of the select area map are 100%...found the last sheep also but for the life of me,I cant find any snowflakes and those red spores...there is an area that I see some on the ground I think but I can't pick them up or anything...also I know why I couldn't kill those summoners fast enough,I wasn't using the Dust Storm with Fidget right,dumb me lol..now it should go better...game is awesome I hope we get a sequel...

The red spores are pretty obvious when you find them. It won't look like a bit of them on the ground but instead be a very large bunch that fills the screen. The mushrooms on the screen take up roughly half the height.

Can't recall much about the snowflakes, though.

I bought this today because of all the praise from Giant Bomb in their GOTY podcasts.

Honestly, the art style would have meant without hearing that stuff I never would have bought it. It looks really good, but the furry stuff doesn't do it for me and I really don't like the character design. Every time a character pops up on screen all I think of is the weird furry lovers who draw odd pornography. I hate it even more than anime. Shame it didn't have better character design.

Other than that, it was the praise of the story that got me interested and I have to admit I'm really enjoying it so far (just got to the underground caves and trying to figure out why the water has stopped running). Mixes the lighthearted moments with quite a dark narrative well. The only character so far I don't like is Fidget who is neither charming or funny. I'm beginning to just skip her dialogue completely - quite funny your sword is more interesting as a character.

The Metroidvania-esque design, plenty of side missions, tight and rewarding combat and a good sense of progression meant that the three hours I played this afternoon really flew by. I look forward to playing more (and probably completing it in another two or three sittings, if my first is anything to go by!) I'm glad I picked normal as it seems like the sweet spot difficulty wise for me - it's not too hard but I've died quite a bit and it's forcing me to use the combat system to its fullest.

Definitely glad I bit on it, because the awful furry stuff doesn't detract from the good stuff of which there is plenty. Hopefully the next game will have an appealing character design to go along with that stuff.

Ricker

I saved just before the point of no return,I have 2 sidequests left,I will try and do those before heading on to the final events...the red spores and snowflakes...I am level 38 now and 18 hours in...really enjoying the game,furries and all ;)

Edit: ok,level 40 now and I still cant find the spores and snowflakes and can't find a proper walkthrough of this nowhere so I am heading into the final fights... :p

lingiii

Banned
I saved just before the point of no return,I have 2 sidequests left,I will try and do those before heading on to the final events...the red spores and snowflakes...I am level 38 now and 18 hours in...really enjoying the game,furries and all ;)

Edit: ok,level 40 now and I still cant find the spores and snowflakes and can't find a proper walkthrough of this nowhere so I am heading into the final fights... :p

I'm in the same boat (need snowflakes and big combo). But I HAVE the snowflake quest item. Anyone had any glitches with the snowflakes quest?

Yanksfan

Just starting Chapter 4: Revelation. I know I am not finished, but I have put in a good 10 hours at this point and feel confident the game will hold its quality. I am not one to toss out scores, as they don't mean much to me..but this would be in the small handful of games that I could see as a 10/10.

Some of my favorite games of this gen has come from XBLA (Braid, Super Meat Boy, Geo Wars 2, Pacman CE), but this tops them all.

I certainly hope there will be more games coming from you Noogy. I will be there Day 1, regardless of price and platform.

How do you get the treasure in the first map square of Archers Pass in the room with the teleport ball floating above the hand? I can a bomb down there but I don't know how to get it or me up to the yellow wall it needs to explode.

Noogy

Hey all, to celebrate the 6 month Anniversary of Dust:AET I'm handing out some free codes (XBLA redeemable).

First come first serve!

VF3RP-QRVX9-VVD7M-9PGY9-KVKXZ
QCK7K-XQT3P-JCCHT-6HVG6-FGDCZ
JM2CM-P9RGV-R9DR7-RRPR7-QY7FZ
3CDPX-7C997-G7GCY-MXKPD-TH43Z
2FQQD-MF6TV-2746Y-RGH27-MPVGZ

zulux21

Hey all, to celebrate the 6 month Anniversary of Dust:AET I'm handing out some free codes (XBLA redeemable).

First come first serve!

Did I ever tell you you are awesome, cause you are awesome :p

have any exciting news related to Dust to share with us yet?

Top Bottom