• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outcast - A new demonic possession drama from the creator of TWD - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyLarry

Huge fan of the comic. Been with it since Day 1 before it was known it was going to be a show (although it was known pretty early on), so have been very excited for the show for quite some time now.

It was good, probably even very good, but I am not sold on it just yet. And it is exactly due to the reason I was somewhat worried about it becoming a show to begin with.

One of the things I love about the comic is the visual style and they brought none of it over. Absolutely none of it. In fairness it is not like TWD show brings the style of the comics either, but I just think that especially with Outcast, the visuals in the comic really compliments the tone of the comic.

I just feel the look and feel of the show could have been a bit more stylized to try and at least capture a little bit of the tone of the comics. Especially the use of shadows.

Definitely liked it from a story standpoint. Just wanted the visuals to be something else I suppose.

It very well may wind up being one of my favorite shows on TV, just too early to call one way or the other, but I was hoping for a different look, that's for damn sure.

Atrophis

This is going to shit all over Fox's The Exorcist isn't it?

Judging by the first episode and trailers for The Exorcist...yes, yes it is.

The teaser I saw a year or so ago really sold me on this. It looked intriguing/good.

Can't watch the episode on YouTube, because it's not available in my country, but I can wait. Besides, I don't really want to watch it while sitting in a computer chair.

My PVR is set, HBO Canada.

OMG YAS PHIL GLENISTER. He's so good. Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes are two of my favorite British shows, ever. I love possession stories, too, so this is right up my alley. Watching the pilot now!

Dalek

OMG YAS PHIL GLENISTER. He's so good. Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes are two of my favorite British shows, ever. I love possession stories, too, so this is right up my alley. Watching the pilot now!
Holy shit I didn't realize that was him. Wow!

Great pilot, the two leads have fantastic chemistry.

Holy shit I didn't realize that was him. Wow!

Great pilot, the two leads have fantastic chemistry.

Right?! His accent is incredible! Probably the most un-Gene Hunt role I've ever seen him in.

I got caught up on all the comics and I'm even more excited for this show. I have no doubt it'll deviate but the source material is A++++.

Right?! His accent is incredible! Probably the most un-Gene Hunt role I've ever seen him in.

I got caught up on all the comics and I'm even more excited for this show. I have no doubt it'll deviate but the source material is A++++.

Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes is so fucking good.

Best ending to a show, literally ever.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Series premiere tonight!

A Darkness Surrounds Him

Series debut of a thriller about a young man who deals with demonic possession that has plagued him all his life. In the opener, while investigating another case of possession, secrets from his past come to the fore.

I own the first TPB and really like it. Got the second coming in the mail right now. It's crazy how they're not even letting the comic ferment a bit before turning it into a show.

Jayne

Episode 1 was pretty good. I was looking forward to having another episode to watch tonight, didn't realize the first episode hadn't even officially aired yet.

Tankard

Just watched the first episode.
I've been following the comic closely and this first episode captured it very well, thought it was an awesome pilot.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the premiere was decent. It wasn't as scary as I'd hoped it'd be though. The only parts that spooked me were the opening scene where the little boy crushed the bug with his head and the flashback where Kyle's mom was sniffing his head and then attacked him and threw him in the closet.

I haven't read the comic so I'm really curious to see what the meat of the show is - will there be a new possession every week?

Just finished watching the first episode, after being excited for this series as soon as I saw a teaser. And, so far, so good. The pilot is quite good.

KonradLaw

One of the things I love about the comic is the visual style and they brought none of it over. Absolutely none of it. In fairness it is not like TWD show brings the style of the comics either, but I just think that especially with Outcast, the visuals in the comic really compliments the tone of the comic..

I think they do that to go for horror. the style of comics is beautiful, but it wouldn't work for live action horror that actually tries to be at least somewhat scary.

T.O.P

Banned
Meh...so far i really like the cast choices and that they don't seem to refrain from showing violence

But other than that if feels pretty standard so far...and it's a shame that it just looks so bland, cinematography it's all but interesting

Geist-

Watched the first episode, then read every comic available in 2 days. Really good, but I have no idea how they think there's enough story there to start a series. There hasn't even been a satisfying end to an arc or revelation that I would consider a good season finale. I wonder if they'll just do a fast divergence from the comics if they do a yearly season.

embalm

I saw that the first episode was available on PSN. Gave it a watch and really enjoyed it.

My girlfriend is a huge horror movie fan and the opening scene with the little boy, the roach, and his finger really got to her. That's something not many movies or shows can do.

So hopefully the rest of the episodes keep things interesting.

Qvoth

i've read the comics, the only arguably scary scene is just that starting scene with the boy in episode 1 imo

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
i've read the comics, the only arguably scary scene is just that starting scene with the boy in episode 1 imo

Aww. That was my favorite scene in the pilot.

Geist-

Pretty good episode, I like that it better establishes what happened to him.
And I guess they're not going to stick too close to the comic.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought that was pretty dull to be honest. Sure, we got some more background information on Kyle, but it was delivered in such an underwhelming manner. There were a couple of creepy moments (like the demon mom rushing out of the closet and the abandoned trailer in the woods with the scratch marks inside) and the ending was intriguing with the creepy guy in the hat, but, I don't know...for a show about demons on Cinemax, it feels awfully sluggish to me.

While the pacing was slower than I prefer, I did like the episode quite a bit. I thought the ending was pretty fantastic, and the great music added a lot to it. Brent Spiner as... the Devil? A demon? Kyle's dad? Or something. He's cool. I liked Kyle's mini-breakdown after trying to exorcize his mom again. The shit in the woods was creepy. Anderson continues to be played well by Glennister, I like the fire-and-brimstone shit. He's gonna end up banging that hot older lady, I'm sure, and she'll turn out to be a demon or something.

Geist-

Just saw the two episodes, like it a lot. Didn't quite get the ending though, did Kyle die? If not, why did it let go?
I'm assuming it let go because, based on the demon from last episode, they dissipate after leaving a human body, and it just ran out of time before it could finish the job.

KonradLaw

What the fuck did he do to that poor woman :D
Another very good ep. I like how they don't show him be able to fix anything, case of the week style. The mother is still screwed up and those prison dudes are still lingering, likely to return later on.

Geist-

This is definitely the most underrated new series of the season. Even as a slow episode, the writing and the acting in this show are absolutely top notch. Every episode I can feel Kyle's frustration at being unable to control all these terrible things happening to him, and I can feel Anderson becoming less and less sure about everything he believed in.

And Blake Morrow, this episode is making me wish/hope he has a bigger part in the story, he's such a great antagonist.

xrnzaaas

Yep, the exorcism of the week was great. Not sure what to think of Megan's storyline, seems like a filler so far unless her ex was at some point possessed as well.

Another good episode but I'm not sure how well the "exorcism of the week" format is going to hold up going forward.

Was nice to see Beecher in a role that suits the kind of actor he can be.

Some really interesting subplots forming too. This is rivalling Preacher as best new show for me.

derFeef

I just watched the first episode, good stuff. Hope it continues and the format is not getting tired a few episodes in. Is this the OT for this? Kinda not very populated :(

Geist-

I just watched the first episode, good stuff. Hope it continues and the format is not getting tired a few episodes in. Is this the OT for this? Kinda not very populated :(

Ya, this is the OT. GAF threads for shows that aren't either very popular, or hyped beforehand tend to not get a lot of attention.

Ricker

Just watched the first episode...damn that was good,I like exorcism stuff and all,always found them spooky as shit,since The Exorcist...going to watch the 2 other episodes tonight,hope it keeps up.

It is good so far but like it has been mentioned, it is starting to turn into the exorcism of the week show.

The town will have to be more involved if that keeps up. I mean, it will have to be common knowledge that there is a demon problem if this keeps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom