• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Vita screens

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's so weird seeing people trying to defend this. The Vita is capable of better; stop being silly and admit this is a lazy port.

Half or more of the people here are only saying it looks like UE3 Vita kit is the lazy port.

Nobody here is saying that Vita shouldn't be able to do better.

The screenshots don't show how simplistic/empty Tekken 3D's backgrounds are and the missing details on the character models. The PSP Tekken 6 actually looks more impressive overall.

MK looks way better than Tekken does in motion. And I'm sure MK is going to play much, much better online...not that it's hard to top Tekken 3D's awful online system.

Smh...this again...but this isn't the right thread for that so I'm not gonna derail it. I'll just say you're wrong

Also there's nothing wrong with admitting MK looks terrible or that a 3DS game could possibly look better

Kai Dracon

Apparently the Vita hardware is not powerful enough to run Vita games at full resolution. Very disappointing.

More like launch window games (and by launch window games, I mean the first six months) are almost always rushed regardless of how much effort the developers put in. And shortcuts like lowering the resolution are a standard tactic to keep the game running at a certain framerate.

In game development time = optimization. Look at how man sub-HD games you find on the "HD" consoles. But, games that benefit from long dev cycle and/or an engine improved through many iterations are capable of outputting HD without sacrificing visual quality.

Really, most (not all, but most) of what gamers call "lazy" in game development boils down to time budget.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I didn't call developers lazy - I know even the worst games are made by very hard-working people. And a lot of those console games are sub-HD because, yea, the hardware isn't powerful enough to do the games at 720p. Sub-HD is a form of optimization on, say, the 360, to fit into EDRAM without tiling.

I hope the 2nd gen of games actually run at native resolution. But there are enough sub-HD games out there now to constitute a worrying trend IMO. But I guess we do have to wait and see.

M3d10n

Yes, but looking at the images on a monitor is very different to looking at them on a screen the size of the Vita's. Resolution does not equal screen size.

Yeah, I'm sure looking at them on a screen the size of the Vita's will add the missing lighting, shaders and up the texture resolution and polycount on the characters.

Seriously, you can find better looking fighters on the PS2. They could drop the resolution to 3DS levels if they needed, but having PS2-level graphics is not acceptable.

RoyalFool

Banned
I didn't call developers lazy - I know even the worst games are made by very hard-working people. And a lot of those console games are sub-HD because, yea, the hardware isn't powerful enough to do the games at 720p. Sub-HD is a form of optimization on, say, the 360, to fit into EDRAM without tiling.

I hope the 2nd gen of games actually run at native resolution. But there are enough sub-HD games out there now to constitute a worrying trend IMO. But I guess we do have to wait and see.

Well, launch titles get let off because it's quite common that the specifications for the system get adjusted up and down during development. But there really is no excuse for 2nd generation titles to be running at sub-resolutions. On the home systems it wasn't too bad, Call of Duty is probably the most well known sub-resolution game but it's clear that they sacrificed the resolution for that silky smooth 60fps gameplay (so it's give and take). But with the vita's main selling point being that lovely screen - it should only ever be an absolute last resort.

The only other explanation is that sony made a lovely high dpi screen but didn't put enough horse power behind it, but having seen virtua tennis and other full res 60fps titles it's clear that isn't the case, I worry that uncharted running at sub-resolutions has sent the wrong message to developers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The only other explanation is that sony made a lovely high dpi screen but didn't put enough horse power behind it, but having seen virtua tennis and other full res 60fps titles it's clear that isn't the case.

Virtua Tennis is also one of the few games on console that runs at 1080p IIRC.

The Vita port of Arkham City:

500full.jpg

Ouch

def sim

I can bet that it will look a lot better in my hands with the oled screen in motion than blown up pictures. There is no way it looks that bad.

An OLED screen will provide brighter colors; the smaller overall space and higher dpi will hide some imperfections and give a more crisp picture.

This however:

Yeah, I'm sure looking at them on a screen the size of the Vita's will add the missing lighting, shaders and up the texture resolution and polycount on the characters.

still stands.

The Vita screen isn't magic, we know how the technology works.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Post them at the size/resolution of the Vita screen. It also looks beautiful in motion.

People need to learn to do this for all 3DS screens too. So many people's first reaction to these games are 'omg ugly', when they're twice the size they should be. But this game is not exactly a beauty.

Apparently the Vita hardware is not powerful enough to run Vita games at full resolution. Very disappointing.
But how can that be given that the ipad3 has the same graphics power sans whatever ios overhead introduces and still can run games at higher resolutions?

Granted, most ios games aren't as complex as vita games, but this also isn't xD

orioto

Good Art™
I hope someday the "but it'll look good on the actual screen" will be banable. It' just the most boring shit ever.

PSV is 220 ppi. Everything you see on a huge screen, every little piece of aliasing, will be clearly visible on the Vita. And there is no excuses for graphics like that on the hardware.

That certainly won't help!

Kai Dracon

Well, launch titles get let off because it's quite common that the specifications for the system get adjusted up and down during development. But there really is no excuse for 2nd generation titles to be running at sub-resolutions. On the home systems it wasn't too bad, Call of Duty is probably the most well known sub-resolution game but it's clear that they sacrificed the resolution for that silky smooth 60fps gameplay (so it's give and take). But with the vita's main selling point being that lovely screen - it should only ever be an absolute last resort.

The only other explanation is that sony made a lovely high dpi screen but didn't put enough horse power behind it, but having seen virtua tennis and other full res 60fps titles it's clear that isn't the case, I worry that uncharted running at sub-resolutions has sent the wrong message to developers.

Personally, I am also suspecting that generation 1 Vita dev kits are, once again, underclocked. Same thing that happened with PSP. ANd it looks like, 3DS too.

It's like they force first generation software to run on an underclocked CPU/GPU in order to extend battery life and make it seem better.

VariantX

Is really that Freddie Krugger that i'm seeing here?

Also, what happened to their heads in this shot?

vPQak.jpg

The person is probably playing kombat tower where all sorts of crazy nonsense happens. There are some missions that have the headless kombat variable show up or it shows up on the roulette which means attacks aimed at the head will not work because there is no "head" to hit.

Moegames

Banned
Half or more of the people here are only saying it looks like UE3 Vita kit is the lazy port.

Nobody here is saying that Vita shouldn't be able to do better.

True ..but make no mistake about it..there are people in this thread that really love it when Vita gets bashed. I see some of the regular's in here as per usual..

Cipherr

Things like this are always common with new hardware.

It does not necessarily mean the developers are lazy.

Its not even about new hardware. These things happen well into a gen.

Sometimes games don't look as well as they could/should considering the hardware they are on. I think I have encountered this far to much to have an aneurysm over it anymore. Its not that big of a deal. And that 'lazy dev' stuff is getting reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally old too.

vg260

Yeah, could be a lot better looking, but it should still be fun and they did put plenty of content into it. Hopefully 60fps will look nice enough in motion and still be fun.

Also:
51Zzz6VEMzL.jpg

static shots don't really do the Vita justice.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

I find the static direct feed shots to be an accurate representation of the character model complexity, shaders and texture quality, lighting and overall IQ of vita games. Plus you have to see that fist on 3D! (I haven't).

I'll reserve judgement for when I see it on a screen.

Uncharted looked terrible in screen caps but looked fantastic on the PSV screen. It's hard to sell on screen caps like this.

MLB 12: The Show looked bad either way.

vg260

Argh, I'm still torn on this. I've got it pre-ordered at Amazon with a $20 vita item discount they emailed at launch, and a gold box discount so I can get it for <$20, but I don't really wanna send the wrong message by buying an ugly port.

Afrikan

well, hopefully there will be a demo for Vita users.....and hopefully Gamestop and Bestbuys will have the game running as well for those looking to get a Vita for this game.

If there is no demo, then the Publisher deserves what ever outcome occurs.

since some have a problem with the whole off screen footage of these games...
I think for Vita and 3DS games, gifs of the game in action (direct feed) at a similar screen size would be the best representation....maybe just link to them if the forum doesn't want a thread to slow down the bandwidth here.

I think the devs or the marketing team are the ones who should be putting the effort of creating these gifs for websites and fans.

So GAF, I managed to get this early at Best Buy in Kennesaw, GA. Graphics do look bad - subHD, very jaggy, muddy looking textures. The compression on the story mode cutscenes is poor, as well.

I'm very disappointed in the visuals, but I think the amount of content will make up for that (partially).

EDIT:

Proof, just in case:
RYG63.png

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Off screen videos are misleading. And the cutscenes are videos.

I don't know if they are actually. The seamless transition from video to gameplay looked on par with the console versions. i.e. some parts are video, most of it is in-engine.

Screens look terrible, but so did Uncharted, and that looks gorgeous on the Vita. Hopefully there's a demo.

edit: so much for my post-

So GAF, I managed to get this early at Best Buy in Kennesaw, GA. Graphics do look bad - subHD, very jaggy, muddy looking textures. The compression on the story mode cutscenes is poor, as well.

I'm very disappointed in the visuals, but I think the amount of content will make up for that (partially).

Can you put up some OS screens?

sakipon

Really sorry to hear that. I'm not a huge MK fan, but I was considering this to keep me busy until SFxT. I suppose bad visuals are a deal breaker then.

Sounds like MLB: The Show again. It's a shame after seeing games like UMvC3, WipeOut 2048 and Virtua Tennis, I know this system is capable of near PS3 quality stuff. And those were launch games.

Really no excuse.

Why wouldn't static shots do the Vita justice? I thought the thing was supposed to be a technical marvel and these Tekken and MK shots look about on par with the 3DS honestly.

Really sorry to hear that. I'm not a huge MK fan, but I was considering this to keep me busy until SFxT. I suppose bad visuals are a deal breaker then.

Have you not bought MK9 on the consoles yet? If not then you're seriously going to jump on SFxT before that? Man, what has the world come to?

test_account

XP-39C²
Why wouldn't static shots do the Vita justice? I thought the thing was supposed to be a technical marvel and these Tekken and MK shots look about on par with the 3DS honestly.
It is not just Vita, it goes for every system now and then. Sometimes things simply looks better in motion. A very good example is Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Man, those screenshots looks bad (mostly due to running in sub-native resolution), but the actual game looks great.

Raytow

Wait... you mean to say that SF vs Tekken looks about on par with anything on the 3DS, because if so, you need glasses pronto!

Top Bottom